Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,847 | Ratings: 10,598
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Bought this in a “make your own six-pack” at my local grocery store. I’ve heard of Sierra Nevada, but this is the first time I’ve tried it. I consider myself a bit of a hophead, so if anything says “Extra IPA” on the bottle, I’m down.

A: Surprisingly dark. A nice amber/rust color, with an enormous white head that creates a ton of bubbly lacing. Looks great!

S: Hops, hops, hops. Some citrus zest (mostly lemon), but it’s all about the bright, American hops here.

T: This is a very hoppy beer. A lot hops can sometimes mean an overwhelming saltiness, or a diminished palate. Not here, though. This is good old-fashioned craft beer at its best: don’t be stingy with the flavor, but don’t overwhelm the drinker. It’s hoppy, yes, but in a smooth way that brings other flavors to the taste buds with ease. There’s the lemon again, with some herbal/floral notes (a little less than I would like, but still a nice addition). Just a hint of roasted malt and breadiness leaves the aftertaste crisp and refreshing. A great taste for summer.

M: High carbonation dances on the tongue and brings out the piney bitter flavors even more. If they toned down the carbonation, I feel the smoky/biscuit undertones would come out even more (which would bring a little more complexity to the palate). But hey, it’s an “Extra IPA,” so it works well with the style.

O: This isn’t a head-turning “gourmet” beer. It’s just great American hops, loaded with even more hops, then brewed slowly and carefully. The second I tasted it, I thought “Wow, what a great session beer.” Then I saw the 7.2% ABV. Well, a good beer, anyway! If all of Sierra Nevada’s brews are like this, then they just found a new fan.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I fell in love with this beer. It is definitely my new favourite.

Appearance: Nice orangeish-brown colour (slightly brighter than copper). Carbonation was crazy, putting 3 1/2 fingers of head in my tulip. Head retention was outstanding, and spotter lacing never faded.

Smell: Huge sweet citrus notes. A lot of pineapple, red grapefruit, tangerine, and Clementine. Has some huge floral and grassy notes as well, with other earthy tones. Very subtle caramel malt squeaks through the aggressive hop to add some contrast.

Taste: A little bit of every type of hop melds perfectly. Small pine, large citrus, and aggressive floral tones sweep across the tongue. Bubble gum sweetness and caramel take charge half way through and finish with subtle booze and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Aggressive carbonation makes for continual stimulation, mild alcoholic glow, and the light/medium body is refreshing at first and sudden dramatic astringency follows.

Overall: I would have sex with this if I could.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: pours a light amber with a thin white head and leaves a nice trail of lace down the entire glass

S: sweet and hoppy, citrus and pine notes like many of sierra nevada's brews, also very resiny

T: sweet at first, then the hop bitterness comes into play very strongly and lingers throughout the taste, finishes crisp and bitter

M: medium body, great carbonation

O: a very enjoyable IPA, a staple IPA in fact, one of my favorites year round brews

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a golden yellow with a very lace-heavy head. Smell and taste are first of citrus rind (grapefruit and a hint of lemon oil) and then the bone-dry bitter hops hit you with pine and resin, with a leafy and oily finish. Some biscuit malt and spicy hop as well. Basically one of the best year-round and easily accessible IPAs out there.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I've been drinking this beer for a few months now ever since a buddy of mine told me about it after having SN Celebration.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip with a nice 1 finger head. had lacing all the way down the glass. Deep amber colour

Smell: Hoppy

Taste: Matches the smell, intense hoppiness

Feel: Thick and satisfying

Drinkability: could drink this all night.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Sierra Nevada's new yearlong Extra IPA is a much needed addition to there line up.They say its between a IPA and Double IPA, so they made the Extra..Pours to a deep golden orange with a two finger fluffy head.Aromas of pine herbal strong hops grapefruit, taste of bitter hops perfectly blended with malts leaving a nice hoppy aftertaste..abv is well hidden in this blend leaving the Torpedo's drinkability through the roof..Probably the best IPA I've had so far and very happy this ones year round...

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I purchased a six pack of this excellent IPA at a local liquor store. There was not date on the bottle. The bottle had the following code: 9306113 34. Poured into a tulip glass. The beer had an initial temperature of 50° F.

A: Color: Amber/Orange, mostly clear with a slight haziness. Medium head about 3/4" high. The head breaks down to a thin lace after standing and almost completely disappears after 5 to 10 minutes.

S: Pineapple, grapefruit in front of caramel. Boozy too.

T: Grapefruit (sweet and bitter) with sweet dry finish - definitely tastes a bit boozy too.

M: Nicely carbonated - the bubbles release into a creaminess when rolled across the tongue. Medium bodied.

D: Delicious. The right balance of hop smell/bitterness and malt sweetness and I love the dry finish. This stuff is better than candy.

Conclusion: Just to let you know where I'm coming from - IPAs are my favorite beer style and I've tried a bunch. I won't rate a beer unless I've had it several times to ensure that I'm not catching one that was old or not properly stored.

This is one of my favorite beers along with Three Floyd's Alpha King (I don't care what they call it - its an IPA not an APA), Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. At a minimum, I give any of these a grade of A.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Caramel amber with a 1 finger white head that faded quickly. Leaves lots of lacing.

S: Smells of cascade hops - very lemony, with pine and cedar notes. Epic!

T: While most IPAs I've had are so strong with regards to IBUs, this beer is the top so far. 78 IBUs. It doesn't taste like it. The malt backbone of caramel and toasted wheat breadis a very beautiful sweetness that combines well with the perfectly balanced hop flavor. Tons of hop flavor - lots of resin, some fruit. This tastes more like a DIPA.

F: Awesome malt backbone, and slightly creamy. This really is a DIPA...

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I love this beer. Sierra Nevada did this right. I love it just as much as their PA and much more than their other IPA. The taste and smell of hops is so wonderful for just a low cost beer. This is definately one of my go to hop beers. Not overly hopped up, but meets my needs.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. A moderate head that quickly faded leaving a very sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Strong scents of sweet hops, the scent almost makes my mouth yearn for the first taste. Very robust flavors of tangy pine, a strong citrus profile along with a small malt and nutty profile. Mouthfeel is less oily than I expected. Very tasty, alcohol is well balanced. This beer is pairing well with homemade meatballs, pasta, and homemade bread.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Straight from fridge into pint glass.

A- Frothy head and the lacing lasts. Copper and clear. no haze.

S- Upfront floral, pine, and citrus hops. Subtle bread/ yeast notes.

T- Yup! All the hops are there! Glad to still detect some malts too that add a touch of sweetness.

M- Slightly viscous and medium carbonation. I'm glad it has a good body to back up all the hops.

Overall this is one of the more drinkable American IPA's before you start getting into some serious west coast styles. I could session this if only a 7% ABV beer could be sessionable...

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Well, I can see why so may people were excited for this to come to cans... it is great! Picked up bottles because I couldn't find cans, no biggie as its the same brew. Probably going to pick up the cans when I see them though.

Appearance: A golden amber color with a good light tan head that leaves good lacing

Smell: When you pour it, tons of floral hops come through, when you put your nose to it, you can pick up some pine and citrus and biscuity malts

Taste: Starts with pine hops and bready malts, then moves to the floral and citrus hops and caramel malt and fruit. The brew is weighted in favor of bitterness though some sweetness comes through

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with medium carbonation

Overall: An excellent brew, and I love how it is balance more towards the floral and citrus hops than pine and resin hops, and doesn't over do the bitterness. I feel some IPAs lean too much to bitter pine and resin hops.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Holy crap, this is one hell of a beer. I have been waiting for this and it did not disappoint.

The pour is a clear deep amber with a finger thick, off-white head. Very clean looking. A shade or two lighter than Celebration.

Smell is all hops. Pine, grapefruit and everything else. Wonderful bouquet.

The taste is insane. A hop bomb for sure. Prickly pine hits you up front with a nice, oily hop, very dry finish. Malt is there but only for balance as that is not the point of this beer.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Very balanced for a beer so heavy on the hops. Prickly and dry up front with a sweeter oily finish. This beer has it all.

Drinkability is exceptional as well. The 7.2% is well hidden as the beer does not come across too hot at all. The only threat to drinkability is Torpedo's ability to eventually destroy your palate.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a dark amber with lots of carbonation. A sticky 1 finger head of white foam rests on top. I can smell this beer as I'm pouring it. Nose is hops, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and oranges. Medium-light body on this one, which is just about perfect for an IPA or DIPA, in my opinion. This beer is a hop bomb on the palate, but it's amazing. Quite bitter with loads of citrus. I also get some notes of grapefruit, spice, and banana. Decent malt on the finish.

Torpedo is one of the beers that helped get me interested in craft beer, and it's still awesome. Very well balanced, and loaded with flavor and character.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This is one of those beers I had heard countless good things about before I picked it up. So I when I saw a sixer at the store, I picked it up on the spot.

Poured from the bottle into a glass. The beer was copper colored with a nice one finger, white head. The nose was all hop, most pine notes, with some citrus notes in nice balance. The taste was highlighted by pine notes and citrus notes. Some bitterness follows, bit it works great here. A slight caramel backdrop is present is the background. A tasty brew. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with nice, moderate carbonation. Drinkaility was high for an IPA. Moderate ABV and great flavors contributed to the fact I almost finished a whole six pack in a sitting.

Overall, one of the best regular IPAs around, especially for anyone who enjoys the pine flavors of hops more. Just an outstanding brew.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm in verbatim agreement with The Brothers on this one.

Celebration was my go-to beer of the 80s-early 90s, and Torpedo eclipses it.

Beautiful honey/amber color, creamy, but sprightly body, super-complex aroma that is even juicier than Celebration's.

Citrus rind, grapefruit, resin, apricot, strawberry jam, apple, pepper, and just a touch of ashyness in the long, earthy, spicy hop finish.

As The Brothers said, may they brew this until the end of days.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this beer in Vermont at a bar that was out of Heady Topper.
Very good I must say!
Bought it in the bottle at home and still love it.
Very hoppy nice color.
Mouth feel is nice with a clean finish.
They produce more so it is easier to procure...

it's hard to get Heady Topper around these parts....

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm fortunate enough to have sampled this marvelous IPA from a bottle and today on tap. I read through most of the recent bottle reviews and concur and add that if you hear of this being served on tap it's worth the trip. On tap the head increases and laces nicely down my half liter mug on my way to Nirvana. I've sampled a few other Nevada's and this tops them all. NIn summation this is a fine IPA and I have tasted quite a few. Packs a high APV yet you really don't taste the alchohol. I use it to finish off my climb up the ABV stairs at this bar.
Rick at Zep Hall in J C N J

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Best bang for your buck you will ever find. Don't get my wrong, the beer is GREAT. Very very hoppy, lots of pine, a little citrus. But the biggest draw is the price. These beers are a steal! Thanks SN for making awesome beer affordable. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an updated review. I had reviewed this before, but got a fresh batch in a four pack of pint cans and I must say that there is a noticeable difference. This beer has a cool 7.2% ABV which is sort of the sweet spot for this variety even though I generally prefer a more stout content like 8.4% as you would see in like a Rebel Rouser by Sam Adams. The carbonation is perfect and pours a thick head that lingers, but can get rather thick if you pour it properly. Chill this beer down to near freezing and you will find it difficult to coax that silky thick head out of it.

A-This beer pours a cloudy dark golden brown that glimmers a golden hue in the right light. The active and plentiful carbonation bubbles tickle the lips and make for a large head if poured correctly. The lacing is slightly drooping, strong, and white like the head.

S-The aroma of this beer is more floral and full of dank citrus hops than anything I have smelled before—except for some imperial IPAs like Rampant. I think that this prepares the palate to receive this highly drinkable beer. If you do the Belgian dip properly then you will have a nose full of the true essences of this beer as you drink it.

T-The malty flavors and character of this beer are exhibited by a toasty nutty cracker that is perfectly balanced by the alcohol content and a punctuated hoppiness. This beer has a lingering grassy herbal taste that melts into waves of cascading citrus like mango and apricot.

M-The mouthfeel is smooth and very quickly gives way to the zingy qualities that come with the carbonation and then you get the bite of the hops. If you inhale through your nose simultaneously you will pick up more floral content at the end of your sip.

O-Overall I would say that this beer is all that I had hoped it would be. I was worried that it might not have the right complexity of flavors when I bought it, because most reviews focused on the hops and couldn’t precisely describe the background flavors and complex aromas. I was pleasantly surprised and I think you will be also. Be sure to find a very fresh pack of cans and I think you’ll love it as much as I do.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Pours a beautiful rich amber. Darker and less hazy than many IPAs.
Very slight citrus in the background, but this one's all about that piney, hoppy bite. I could see some not finding this one to be very balanced, but for me, it's just right. Most other IPAs get too grapefruity for me, but not this one. For me, this has just enough citrus flavor to keep the hops from overpowering, but nothing more.

This is the perfect beer for me for satisfying a big hop craving.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured from a bottle and was greeted with a three finger tan-colored head of foam. This faded to some lacing. The color was a clear sweet tea amber color. The nose is interesting as I get a sweet character as much as I do the pine, orange, and ginger notes from the hops. It's a nice hoppy aroma with a sweet malt finish... A combined arms blitzkrieg on the nose. The flavor was of the citrus hops first, fading to the pine and ginger note in the aroma... The sweet malt makes a short closing appearance. The mouth feel was tingly from the carbonation and stays on the palate awhile after the last gulp of beer. Overall this isn't the super bitter hoppy ipa's I usually like, but this is a dang fine drinkable one. It's better balanced and is a great one for maybe a beginner to appreciate.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Purchased a 6 pack from Wegman's on Taft Road in Liverpool, NY. Vey good price point for a great beer. Beer was poured into a snifter. I would have to say this is one of my favorite ipa's. This is perfect for anyone who enjoys an extremely hoppy beer with a dry finish.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I previously reviewed this from a bottle and frankly I was generous. So I had to be even more generous with the can, because it is better.

It's cool because you can tell it's probably exactly the same, but everything works better from the can. On top of that, you get a huge can of a good, piney, citrusy AIPA. I will start buying this more often again now that we have an even better version. Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Always has been the yardstick against which I measure other IPAs. My first real "wow" experience. I've gone back to it many times, and it's still an excellent beer, although I have several other that I would place above it now.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.