Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,723 | Hads: 10,003
4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer as should be expected from Sierra! Poured beautiful caramel color with nice sticky white head and good lacing? Fantastic body with creamy smooth rush through the mouth? All the hops flavor you would expect and loaded! Not the boldest I've had but very pleasing with nice finish that last for ever? Good to know this will be around for a long time? (358 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a copper color with an impressive head that stains the side of my glass with lacing. Nose is dominated by citrus and piny hops, but i can just pick out a hint of sweet malt. My first sip is filled with an impressive amount of hop bitterness as well as the citrus and pine flavors that made up the nose. While there is certainly some malt sweetness to balance it a bit, this is still a very hop-driven beer.

Quite an impressive beer from the always top-notch Sierra Nevada. One of my staples since its release in early 2009, and a fantastic value as well. (562 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice reddish-orange. A two finger, white head. Smells a wonderful combination of citrus hops and malt balance. The citrus ranges into the candied fruit smell. Very nice! Very clean bitter hop taste with a nice kick of the citrus in the end. A honey-lemon pokes through. Crisp and balanced taste with enough bitter hanging around to make it great. There is also a minimal funk to make things more interesting. Piney resin also up the nose slightly. Good mouthfeel. (481 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow. Very hoppy and yet not overwhelming the pallet like Hopslam did. This amber colored beer has a wonderful hoppy aroma with a hint of pine and spice. This is my personal favorite Sierra Nevada because I can usually find it for the same price as their regular pale ale. (271 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium-dark shade of amber with a substantial amount of off-white head and very good lacing.

S - Grapefruit, pine, and tart orange

T - Citrus hops are detected within a nanosecond, and a fair amount of creamy, sweet malts quickly follow. This adds just the right amount of offset to the stunningly bitter hops, which are dominant throughout. The finish is pine and a lot of it - distinctive, refreshing, and truly a thing of beauty. It continues on the palate for minutes.

M - Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, and delightfully crisp. So fresh and so clean clean.

D - Easy to drink for how intense the flavor is.

This is an incredible beer, and I'm pretty mad at myself for not having bought any for several months. There are several IPAs with higher BA scores, more buzz, etc., but don't make the mistake of overlooking this beer. Torpedo and Sierra Nevada's winter seasonal Celebration Ale are *by far* the best American IPAs for the money. I vow to keep this a fixture in the fridge from this day forward. (1,057 characters)

Poured from tallboy can.

A: Amber with soapy off white head

S: Citrus, spicy hops , pine notes, fresh cut grass, musty, some floral notes

T: Citrus, grapefruit, pine, spice

M: Crisp, some oily hop resins leaving lingering spicy/piney hop flavors.

O: This is a really enjoyable brew. Easily one of my my favorite readily available IPAs. (340 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

I am normally not open to IPAs but I heard a lot about Sierra Nevada that i had to try it. I started with a strong IPA as this beer to me has a strong malty and hop flavor. My personal favorites are regular ales or dark porters so i just simply am not used to the strong flavor of IPAs. This beer has a very piney/citrus flavor and i think is comes from the hops used in this brew because i know most IPAs have extra hops or malts but i did try another IPA before and it simply did not compare the the flavor of Torpedo. This is just a flavorful beer and the mouth feel and taste lingers for a while but in a good way. Just a reminder, it is a strong beer with 7.2% abv so it creeps up on you but goes down smooth. (714 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into Michael Jackson Beer Hunter Session glass. The beer looks a little lighter than I would have imagined, the color is a golden orange with a white frothy head. The nose is intially citrus and lemony, followed by a sharp hop spiciness. The taste is think hoppier Redhook, really good. The mouthfeel is on the viscious side. The high alcohol content makes it a rough session beer, but the big dogs should have at it. (424 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

One of the best beers I've tried in a while. Thoroughly enjoyable in pushing the hop envelope while maintaining an amazing balance and drinkability. This beer simply tastes great without overwhelming the senses or coming across as some clumsy attempt at "extremeness." It smells, tastes, and drinks like a great beer should. Can't say enough, really. This is especially true as I bought a sixer at the amazing sale price of $7 at the local Stater Bros. I sound like an advertiser for Sierra Nevada in the review but don't mean to. I'm just happy to have a widely available beer of this caliber. (594 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very bold taste when taking first drinks, then finishes very smooth and flavorful as it hits the back of your palate. Smell consists of pine and citrus (Orange and lemon hints) and looks golden/darker amber like color consistency. Overall, extremely impressed with this IPA. Good one to start with when exploring the world of IPAs. Good job Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (366 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Brad's everyday favourite. A very reassuring beer. But Adele takes credit for introducing it to him.

A beautifully dark golden-amber colour. Little bit of head. Beautiful fruity, floral, hoppy smells that just hit the spot perfectly.

Luscious to taste. Plenty of citrus hops and a nice pine flavour. Medium body and reasonable carbonation. Not overly yeasty -- a good thing. Pure IPA perfection. Truly unbeatable for the price. (429 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel glass. A relatively heavy pour resulted in a 2" head of off white foam that lasted a while. Decent lacing lasted the whole beer.

Smell: Mildly citrus.

Taste: Strong piney/earthy hops but not overpowering. Good malt backbone. All in all a well-balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: Very solid, good body.

Drinkability: Excellent IPA. Good balance between hops and malt. Were it not for the ABV, I could drink this all night long. I'm a big Sierra Nevada fan, and this did not disappoint. (510 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A wonderful trip into the Hop Flavored land called Sierra Nevada.

When I first opened the bottle I was assaulted, in a good way, but the heavy hop smell.
Then came the tasting. A rush of bitter followed by a serene mouthfeel.

We all know that Sierra Nevada is a great ale, whatever they make. This is a great addition to the family. (335 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

A - a crystal clear bronze with a tall fluffy off white head that held where it started
S - herbal and peppery with some citrus zest, fruit juice and caramel
T - very interesting flavour mix of grapefruit zest and tropical fruit juice, soft herbal, fresh pepper, subtle resin through the finish along with some toast and caramel, outstanding
M - buttery smooth body, less carbonation than I expected, pleasantly dry finish
O - this has all the best flavour qualities of a top notch APA, with the sneaky alcohol presence of a DIPA, super tasty and dangerously sessionable, definitely one of the best pales I've encountered (621 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a lighter amber color with a good style white head that leaves nice lacing down the glass. Smells of piney and earthy hops primarily. Taste is pretty much perfect for an IPA, lots of hop bite with a little malt taste. Carbonation is great for this light/medium bodied beer, going down really smooth. Overall, an excellent beer. (387 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So. Many. Hops. Yowza. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice fluffy white head. Smells is incredible. Pine, hops, citrus but mainly HOPS. After having a couple other brews in this style, I can conclude that for me personally, it doesnt get much better then this. No sugary, syrupy mouthfeel or aftertaste just bitter, upfront hops balanced by some citrus. If you like IPAs please please do yourself a favor and try this brew, outstanding. (445 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Pours a wonderfully clean golden amber, akin to that of grade A maple syrup. The head produced is frothy dense, and present until the last sip.

S- Sweet and malty with faint notes of graham cracker and a hint of floral hops.

T- A fantastic combination of piney hops, grapefruit, sweet bread faint esters, and a long lasting and powerful bitterness.

M- As previously mentioned this is a rather bitter beer with a medium mouthfeel. It could potentially be a bit too bitter for those less inclined to the taste, but to me it is fantastic.

O- As a recent transplant to the west coast, I think I can confidently say that I've found my go to everyday IPA. It's phenomenal after a day on the slopes, it's relatively inexpensive, and it can be found just about anywhere their pale ale is sold. Cheers. (800 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic beer. One of the first American IPAs I tried and it never fails to deliver. Always have a couple (can or bottle both are excellent) in the fridge. Great taste, not too bitter, nice pine/citrus zesty smell and perfect balance. Not too heavy or light. Perfect with spicy food. All in all an excellent beer that I recommend if you like IPAs. (358 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a spiegelau glass. Great tasting IPA. Poured beautiful with a finger head, hops and citurs aromas then the citrus grapefruit taste with some hops. Overall balanced great IPA and prolly the cheapest around. Sierra Nevada never disappoints! Cheers! (264 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

This is the beer that broke the camel's back. I had to make an account here after I ran through a few six packs. Before this Torpedo Extra IPA, I had been wary about tasting Pale Ale. My first encounter was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which I enjoyed but found less drinkable.

Torpedo Extra IPA, however, hits the nail on the head.

Pours a dark amber, with a nice lingering head.

My gripe with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was that it left too much aftertaste for my liking. I think that's where this (India) Pale Ale's alcohol content works in its favor. It is able to harness massive flavor without having overwhelming aftertaste that prevents it from being drinkable - I believe the 7.2% ABV does a nice job of cleaning the slate for the next sip. That's not to say that the aftertaste is entirely alcoholic. It is masked nicely by pine tones that linger when the last traces of liquid line the pallet.

The carbonation is spot on, and lingers for a surprisingly long time after having been poured. I was watching CO2 bubbles rise to the top of my drink for quite a while after I poured it.

And as a personal anecdote, I made it my goal to try a wide variety of beers on my own when I turned 21 - certainly not due to bad experiences with cheap beers before, officer, sir. Since then I have tasted micro, macro, and in between. Don't let it sway you too much, but if I had to pick a favorite up until now, this would be it. Perfect balance of everything I wanted from beer. (1,472 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a copper with a beautiful head which fades to a half a finger as the glass gets sipped (or in this case, gulped)

Smell- very floral aroma with a hint of sweetness that follows

Taste- hello hops! First sip shows a lot of hops flavor followed by a moderate sweetness from caramel malts. Usually, I like my IPAs to have very little caramel flavor, but SN has shown that even caramel malts have their place in an IPA.

Mouthfeel/drink- could stand to be a bit drier, but that is getting nit picky. A great IPA. I hope this becomes as easy to find as their pale ale. (570 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a hop tulip glass

A: Dark golden color, off white creamy head, with lots of carbonation and lacing.

A: Big pine, citrus, hop aromas on the nose, a little malt, great aroma.

T: Big piny, citrusy hop flavors up front, malt on the backend, bitterness lingers, getting a little alcohol at the end, very nice.

M: A little more than a medium mouthfeel for an IPA

O: I drink this regularly in the summer, it's been about 3-4 months since I last had it, and I forgot how good it is, big piny, citrusy flavors, nice bitterness, this just reminded why this is worthy of being a regular. (610 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was just ok for me. I liked their regular pale ale better. IPA I tried before this was Long Trail Limbo which I thought was outstanding. Would not buy this again. But.. Would not turn down if offered one either. (REVISED) ok, this beer has really grown on me. Maybe the first time I got a bad batch. Love this stuff more and more! (335 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%

Never reviewed this beer before because it is one of my "go-to" beers that I drink on the regular. I decided to review this time because this happened to be the best tasting and most fresh batch I think I've ever tasted. This had to have been bottled no longer than a week ago. Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden colr with a beautiful head that slowly minimizes. The smell on this batch of Torpedo is AMAZING. Definitely one of the strongest floral scents I have ever gotten out of an IPA. Along with strong hop and citrus smell. Upon touching my tongue I get immediate sweetness...a bit of candy sugars along with honey. Then followed by a strong bitter citrusy backbone. Then the sweetness comes back and lingers on the back of the tongue for a bit. The mouthfeel is close to perfect with a nice chewiness to it, but crisp at the same time. I really really really enjoyed this Torpedo. If only all the batches could taste like this. (937 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Clear amber color, lots of rising bubbles, thick head, good lacing.

Smell: Very hoppy. A good whiff of pine needles.

Taste: Fantastic bitter hops taste, pine, and slight citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Crisp on the tongue.

Drinkability: Great beer. I could see making this one of my regulars. I haven't even finished the one I'm reviewing, and I'm already thinking about pouring my next one. (400 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.