Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,754 | Hads: 10,150
3.13/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Deep Amber, almost a light brown. Good clarity and nice head. Kinda generic.

A - Not as stunning as I remember. A little vegetal. Kinda bland. Of course, most beers still don't have the citrusy blast and piney bite this one has, but it's not an on-tap IPA. Not sure it's not become too over-industrialized at SN.

T - Good hops, sometimes sharply bitter. It's hard to finish it all considering the hop quotient. However, it is sweet. Seriously, this is a sweet bastard. It tastes of a lot of caramel. leaner and dryer and I think I would be A LOT happier. I can't tel you why, but I remember this beer being so much more enjoyable.

M - Thick, somewhat creamy at first, but then it's fat and heavy.

O - As low as my review is, consider that I did not see this can filled. I have no idea how long much time passed since it was brewed until it hit my lips, but I was underwhelmed.

The reason I bother posting is because even though cans make sense... for IPA's and Pale Ales, they might be an absolute waste of product. Hop oil voltage depends on freshness.

3.14/5  rDev -23.6%

this brew is nothing too special. but its price reflects that feature. it should cost as much as any of the other sierra nevadas and tastes similar. for an "extra ipa" it doesnt taste very hoppy. the best part about sierra nevada torpedo is its high abv. which leaves you feeling good for the right price.

3.14/5  rDev -23.6%

Bottled 012314 at 45 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma – basically very little, just a hint of floral hops
Head large (6 cm), off white, creamy with large rocks, slowly diminishing to a layer ranging from two mm at the edge to one cm in the center.
Lacing fair; many small islands with medium to large bubbles
Body medium yellow with slight haze
Flavor begins with slight melon and flower taste which quickly dies, leaving only an astringency. No malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, soft carbonation

Basically a weak "extra" IPA, possibly due to age, but still no malt break through. Tastes like a not particularly flavorful pale ale. A shame – this is a very visually attractive beer without the substance to back it up.

3.15/5  rDev -23.4%

Looks like orange peekoo iced tea. Nice two finger head right after the pour. his falls to a thin film, then island of foam, and hardly any bubbles. Very tea like and citrusy hops. The malt smell like maybe some water crackers. Orangey rinds, a little mint and maybe some biscuit malts. Plus a slight metallic twang. Stingy, bitter palate that could use just a little more malt for some better balance.

3.15/5  rDev -23.4%

Lately I have been trying a lot from Sierra Nevada and haven't been let down.

This pours a great hazy orange color with a decent amount of fluffy white head.

The aroma is packed with piney hops and not much else.

Surprisingly, I didn't find this "Extra IPA" to be all that hoppy. Maybe after having Hopslam and Hoptimum so recently trying this was a bad idea. I got a lot of malt out of this, but only a subtle amount of hops. Again, maybe I should have waited a week or so after I have sampled such other hoppy beers.

Not a bad beer, but I really didn't get the hops too much and that's really what IPA's are all about. I'll have to give this a try another time.

3.16/5  rDev -23.1%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy copper color with a 2 finger head and decent lacing.

S: Light citrus hops, some malts, and slightly bready. Not as much fragrance as I hoped for.

T: More grassy than hoppy along with some malts. Bitter.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I have to say I wasn't impressed. I had a bottle a few nights ago, and thought my taste buds must have been messed up. Picked up another bottle yesterday and I'm still not feeling it. I expected much more considering the way they advertise the beer. It's cheap and not terrible, but not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be. This was a let down...

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

golden-amber in the light with lots of visible carbonation. Nice creamy head that's lasting forever.

Piney hops with a little orange dominate the aroma.

More of the same in my mouth. Bitter and piney. Not much detectable malt or hop variety.

A little astringent. I thought it finished fairly clean until i put my tongue to the roof of my mouth...there's that pine.

All in all, not that special. I have 5 more that I'll drink, but i'm not particularly excited about them.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Drank on tap in Houston at flying saucers.
This was following a Pale Ale, and maybe my senses weren't totally cleared but...
The hop taste was almost overpowering and did not match up with the light body, no balance between the two.
The bitterness almost seemed to sear my tongue and overshadowed any other tastes.
I will try again 1 more time prior to having any other beer, just to give it a fair shake, but as I sit now, I wouldn't buy a 6 pack.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

24 oz. (1 pint 8 fl oz.) bottle, with code on the side reading 2349205:34. No idea when that was. Bought from the local Jewel Osco. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat murky amber color with about one finger's worth of head hanging out on top. Some fairly significant lacing.

S - Very fruity peach hop smell. Some dry malts, but faint and far away. Smells kind of like a Peach Faygo or a dirty sock, if you ask me.

T - Initial blast of hop bitterness. A very bitter IPA and very malty also. Fairly well balanced. Floral tasting in the beginning, and then finishes off with somewhat of a spicy hot, wet-hopped kind of taste. Fruity sugars are present, but they are placed well in the background, away from the potent hop bitterness. Some honey makes itself known near the end. Not a bad beer, but simple.

M - Sticky, dry, resinous mouthfeel. Some sweetness & green apple sugars present in the near end, just a pretty dry aftertaste. Nicely bodied, and well-balanced.

Not overly carbonated, and with a nice 7.20% abv it is definitely drinkable, although I have had this beer and the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I do feel that these brews are somewhat overrated. A good beer for being a year round offering, but there are far more interesting brews to be had. Glad I gave it a shot, and I am looking forward to some of Sierra Nevada's seasonal beers to see how they fare.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA ---3.5/5

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Apperance: This beer pours a beautiful light amber color with a small amount of frothy head but it stays with the glass the entire way.

S: Nice hop character in the scent but a large amount of pine also present.

T: Very enjoyable taste but after awhile the pine flavor over powers the nice malty flavor

M: Very nice tingle, hops and pine notes but the pine overtones become too dominate.

D: A bit too heavy of a taste

Overall, I enjoyed this brew and thought it had a very unique taste but the pine overtones soon overpower the overall experiance.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

First bottle from case dated 5/19/2011. Not as fresh as I'd like, but it's difficult to find super-fresh West Coast IPA out here in PA. To be poured into a standard curved-rim pint glass.

A: Pours a lighter shade and rather clear golden-orange color, with a nice thick head on top, a full fingers worth, with big thick pancake-batter like bubbles scattered throughout the top (but not centered near the middle).

S: The nose is piney and sweet... not very dank or citrus at all. A bit disappointing, from what I remember of this guy.

T: Huge sweetness. Need to recheck the date on this. The bottle is listed as "1139 112 56". From "Fresh Beer Only", that indicates the 139 day of 2011, or a little after Mid-May. Roughly 6 weeks old... certainly not "ideal", but I wouldn't have thought it was sufficient to turn this thing so malty.

Some grapefruit and a touch of bitterness is present on the back end, but far less than needed here.The beer starts smooth and light, with immediate malt sweetness shining through, before a thicker malt backbone comes together with what's left of the hops here to round out the flavor profile.

M: Thick and full, but lacking the hop oils on the finish that I like from an IPA.

D/O: This beer is "fine". Not particularly "good". Not exceptionally "bad". My only frustration is I bought an entire case of this... and I'm not thrilled about filling my beer fridge with this "ok" brew.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

A - Pours a clear pale orange color with a chunky 1 inch head that fades to a small 1/2 inch cap. Most excellent lacing all the way down the glass.

S - Smells of fragrant pine/citrus hops. I get no other smell from this beer.

T - Tastes of fragrant pine/citrus hops only. Very hoppy.

M - Somewahat flat and this one left an acid/oil quality in my mouth from what I can assume are the hops.

D - Fair drinkability. I wouldn't buy this one again, but I might have another at a restaurant or a BBQ.

3.19/5  rDev -22.4%

As a preface, I am a huge fan of SN, but I think they fell short with this brew.

A - Beautiful amber with a nice white head.

S- Doesn't really have too much of an aroma for such a highly hopped beer.

T- Sierra Nevada was a little disappointing with this one. With so much potential with tasty Cascade hops, they overdid the bittering to the point where you can't get the usual fruity sweetness from the west coast hops. All you taste is a bitterness that coats your entire mouth and stays with you.

M- Nice crisp texture with some carbonation.

D- The bitterness really limits the number of beers you can have because it truly stays with you.

3.19/5  rDev -22.4%

Aroma: Low/moderate spicy hop aroma with a bit of a fruity note. Almost seems like a european or noble hop. Slight malt sweetness in the background. Some clean alcohol

Appearance: Orange-amber. Fair amount of color here. Great clarity and moderate head.

Flavor: Immediately has that crisp SN character but it's followed by a tone of spicy, juicy, and fruity hop flavors. Hops are more intense here than in aroma. Moderate bitterness, not high like other American IPA's, but it's almost more crisp than it is bitter. Malt sweetness is restrained with caramel notes. Malt sweetness supports the fruity hop flavors well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with persistent crisp character and moderately high CO2.

Overall: An interesting take on the IPA style. Compared to most American IPAs this brings it pretty weak. It lacks bitterness, hugely lacks resin in the mouthfeel, and is a bit more crisp than typical IPAs. I like the beer and it has good drinkability. Very much a Sierra Nevada beer.

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

overall, I'm a big fan of the products Sierra Nevada makes: consistent flavor, quality ingredients, reasonable price for a craft beer... but this is only an average IPA. It's not what I would consider an "Extra IPA" as listed on the label. Sierra Nevada's website goes into detail describing the "hop torpedo" they developed to infuse hop flavor into this beer. Back to the drawing board SN, the hop flavor and aroma in this beer are pretty subdued. It doesn't have any of the bite, or the citrus/pine elements that are found in other IPA's. That said, it's very drinkable and for $13 per 12 pack at TWM, it's a good deal for a craft beer, but if you are looking for an IPA to knock your socks off, you are going to have to spend a bit more.

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

Extra flavor, extra fun, with wrigley's spearmint gum.

Pours out an uninspired flat looking orange. Like if Brittney Spears had a fake tan when she had her "comeback" performance on the VMA's.

Smells a little malty sweet, a little citrusy hoppy. Not very good on either account. Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs down.

At least it tastes ok. Hoppy, not well balanced, but hoppy. It's lacking that something extra i'm looking for in my Extra IPAs.

Overall, Kate Moss thin, but you get a piney resiny aftertaste. Not impressed, they usually do IPA's right, but not with this blend of 11 secret herbs and spices.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Serving: 12oz bottle
A: Actually, most of this beer was consumed from the bottle since it was at a frat party and my gf was drinking it but decided she didn't like it a couple of sips into the bottle. Oh well, so much for being a beer advocate haha.

S: Heavy scent of pine cones, pine resin, and some faint hint of citrus fruits. Just the faintest hint of a biscuity malt backbone, but only after the beer warms to room temp.

T: This is a pine bomb - the first blast of flavor is all pine cone and pine resin. This abundance of pine is followed by a faintly bitter grapefruit note. Thankfully, a fresh bread/biscuit note perks up mid sip. Finish dries and brings out more biscuity malt. Not very balanced - the piney/resiny hops overpower here, and what malt backbone there is seems timid and mostly an afterthought.

M: Carbonation is decent; overall mouthfeel is fairly crisp, with the slightest hint of creaminess.

D: In terms of ABV and drinkability, I thought it was comparable to DFH 60 - alcohol remains well in check.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a huge IPA drinker, so take this with a grain of salt. SN Torpedo is a decent IPA, but I must admit that I'm not overly impressed given all the hype surrounding this beer. In KY, it's just as readily available as DFH60 or Stone IPA, but if I want an IPA, I would actually prefer both of those choices to a Torpedo. In all fairness, I did want to try it to see what the hype was about, but I think I would rather pick up IPA that focused on more than just intense pine/resiny flavors, and one that had better balance from the malts.

3.21/5  rDev -21.9%

Served from a 12oz. bottle purchased at The Olney Ale House in Olney, MD into a pint glass at slightly colder than appropriate temperature, so I allowed it to warm just a bit (12/30/09).

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a slight orange hue capped with one finger of an off-white white head with decent retention leaving very little lace.

S: Mild aroma of citrus hops and some tropical fruit.

T: Decent taste of citrus and tropical hops with a slight bitterness and a hint of a caramel malt. Not all that much going on here.

M: Medium-bodied with average carbonation and no hint of the 7.2% abv.

D: Fairly drinkable, but with such a vast variety of nice American IPAs out on the market, this one is just average.

Overall this was an average American IPA that I am truly unclear as to why it has achieved such a high rating. I have tried to like Sierra Nevada for a number of years, but I always come away unsatisfied. Pass.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A. Two finger, fluffy white head. Amber colored with lots of carbonation bubbles. Laces nicely.

S. Either my sniffer is off or this beer has little aroma. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T. Bready malt that gives way quickly to piney hop bitterness. Kind of a one-trick-pony in my book.

M. Nice mouthfeel with good creaminess - the best attribute of this beer. Well carbonated to boot.

D. Given the bitterness, two of these is enough and it's time to move on. This is a decent IPA but it won't be a staple in my fridge given the plethora of nice IPA's I have access to that offer more complexity and balance.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%

Solid, clear bronze-amber that holds onto its yellowed ivory head quite well. Deliriously fruity nose, full of grapefruit, cherries, and grapes, along with some lemon-lime notes that suggest 7-Up. Caramelly and toffee-sweet with spicy pine notes, as well - this one is enticing! Juicy and thick on the palate - very malty and not really bitter enough, I'm afraid. In fact, except for its distinctly American hops, this one is almost like an English barleywine, saturated with brown sugar, brown bread, port, and honey. Too sweet, really, so even though it's got some complexity to it, it's just not that drinkable. I like my IPAs dry and hop-forward, dammit! If I want a barleywine, I'll drink a barleywine!

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a light amber with a big head that doesn't look thick but has great retention that results in a creamy topping before long. Some bubbles floating up in the glass. Good lacing.

Nose has some bitter sappy pine notes along with a little bit of flora that comes across as pineapple since it mixes with some sweet malts. The taste is balanced well between front and midpalate, high bittering with a sweet caramel malt backbone is the name of the game. The hops bill does not do much to stand out, though, with muted pine and flora. The finish has earth and some solvent flavor. For me this is a fairly average brew with lots of bitter and sweetness, but not a lot of aroma to lift it up to the big leagues. Medium-light body, smooth medium carbonation. Feels lighter than it tastes.

Decent beer, but not something I'm going to become a patron of. I don't consider this a step up from the standard Pale Ale and I definitely don't think it can compare with the quality of the Harvest series releases.

12oz bottle poured into a german pilsner glass

A - orange/amber color with 1.5cm of white head that never showed signs of dissipating.

S - grapefruit, pineapples, pine resin. this is the first time I have ever smelled pine resin in a beer. no malt aroma.

T - hops: citrus, with a load of piney hops. the beer has a strong bitter taste that to me seems to overpower the hop aroma. thus, it's more bitter than floral/citrusy/piney.

M - typical IPA mouthfeel.

D - I'm not a hophead, but there are plenty of IPAs I've drink before this because, as I said, it's more bitter than hoppy.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

a : Poors clear with a good bit of carbination which forms about an inch worth of firm, tan, head. The head does not disipate quickly, and leaves a fair bit of lacing. Deep gold to orange in color.
s : Very flowery, a good bit of citrus, and a hit of pine (that is the best way I can describe it). Not too much else going on here.
t : This beer tastes very dry. The citrus acidity is noticeable, but mostly what I taste is the hoppy bitterness. The hops hits you when you first drink and shows up more when you swallow.
m : The mouth feel on this is just about perfect. I like how the beer coats the mouth and then leaves without leaving a lot of residue behind.
d : To be honest this one is a bit difficult to drink. It usually takes me about 30 mins to finish a bottle, and that is about all I can drink for the day of this beer.

This beer is not my favorite Sierra Nevada brew. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but it is a bit on the hoppy side for my tastes. Actually, I don't mind the hops, I just wish there was some more variety in the beer.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Bought a sixer of this the other day. Poured into a tulip glass, which turned out to be sort of an unnecessary treatment for this particular beer since I was expecting something, I don't know, bolder.

It looks great. Pale ruby hues and a nice white head that is on the right side of frothy. It smelled nice too. Floral pine hits you right away and hints at citrus as you take it in. Couldn't wait to drink this.

The taste is... okay. I mean, I don't know what I was expecting - but I didn't get much of anything. For one, there wasn't any fruitiness to this. There was good hop balance... no aftertaste. This is a dry IPA. It is, I think, the most bland "Extra/Double/Imperial" IPA I have had to date. This may very well be the taste they were going for and I cannot say that I didn't enjoy it a little bit. But I wanted more flavor. Even the piney bitterness feels toned down. Also, this brew felt pretty carbonated, just a tad too much. It sort of reminded me of drinking tonic water, for this reason.

But I drank 3 of them without any sort of difficulty. Each one was the same as the next. I can say this for the Torpedo: I may not have loved it, but I didn't get sick of it either.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a nice golden bronze color, a sticky one finger white head that retains well on the glass, spotty lacing

S- bitter hops accompanied by bitter citrus most notably grapefruit, piney, slightly sweet after notes

T- wow this is a hoppy, one honestly it overpowers any sweet or citrus flavors that could come out of it, I really like IPA's and DIPA's but this is way too bitter for me

M- medium bodied, smooth and creamy, not overly carbonated, dry finish

D- the overall feel of the beer is pretty good I just think this is an overly bitter IPA with hardly any sweetness to balance it out, I'd have a hard time putting down more than one of them

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.