Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
2.39/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was very disappointed with this one. It tastes nothing like a "Extra" IPA, more like a severely outdated domestic malt liquor with a couple of hop pellets thrown in. It was almost hard to finish but I stuck it out. It has an almost metalic taste to it. The smell is off and the mouthfeel is just too syrupy. I'm not exactly sure why this has such a high score. I won't be trying this one again, I wouldn't even want to cook with it.

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

A big thanks to woodychandler for this can. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is a hop bomb, extreme bitterness, wow, I like hops but this is the most bitter beer I have ever had. Feels medium bodied and very bitter in the mouth and overall is way to unbalanced for my liking.

16oz poured into a 20oz shaker

Qutie dissapoitned with the new can.

Not sure what happened with my 16oz 4 pack but this is NOT the same as it comes out of the bottle.

I hope this is a bad batch but i got a STRONG metalic taste out of this beer with little to no hop flavor.

I will give this a try again in the future to reassess. :(

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

I clearly got a bad beer, purchased in 4-pk 16oz can. No citrus, no nothing....just alcohol.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint.

This beer pours a dark orange with a decent white head, not much lacing.

The aroma is very bitter, lots of hops and pine cone.

The taste is like the aroma but super-charged. Its all pine cone, I feel like I'm a squirrel. The bitter is so overwhelming it makes it hard to drink very much of this.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.