Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,778 | Hads: 10,266
4.51/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Possibly my favorite American IPA, money.
Gets you drunk quickly if you like high-volume good hops.
2 22 oz. of these are great in cold weather, I mean, and warm too.
Drink it.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Pours a bit cloudy amber, with a very orange hue. A diminutive head awaits you, perhaps an inch plus of off-white foam. Very cool looking bubbles and the head retention was good. The presentation is excellent. It cleared a bit after sitting.

Smell: The nose appeal is a bit mild but has a great pine scent with some orange lemon-like citrus. Did I mention the hops? Yes, they are evident and inevitable.

Taste: The taste of this beer rules. I was expecting something intense, given the name Torpedo, but it's incredibly balanced but flavorful. It's a race between the malt and the hops. Malt? Hops? Both are evident and balanced well. The dryness is very appealing and adds to the beer's character.

Mouthfeel: It's a medium bodied beer, to be sure. Not too light, not too heavy. The dryness isn't overbearing and makes the mouth feel a bit relaxed but not shy to receive more.

Drinkability: Sierra Nevada made this a year-round brew. I think, off the cuff, it will do well. I would have no problem having several in a night. The name is a bit over-stated. I think Torpedo means the consumer will be heading down...deep. This beer doesn't offer up the brutality one "thinks" it may contain, so perhaps it's a bit over-marketed. In the end, delivering less allows the consumer to repeat and repeat, stating at the end of the night that "I've had x number of Torpedo's."

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

POured into a Guinness pint glass from a 12 oz bottle

A- golden color with a big white head

S- pine, citrus and hope, a little bit of honey

T- hop and caramel malts in the finish, and lime

M- nice carbonation, a lot if bitterness

d- I could drink a six pack with no problem, I love SierraNevada brews

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a nice Amber Color with a good strong head.
Good lacing
Smell is grassy, citrusy and piney. Holy Cascade!
First taste is great. a very nice balance between light an caramel malts with a smack in the face from hops, hops and more hops.
flavor lingers a good 5 to ten minutes after first drink. very good beer. smell and taste move to more hop and earthy notes as it warms.

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this here is sheer delight in a bottle, for most anyone who loves IPAs.

I recently rewarded the friend who got me hooked on IPAs by introducing him to this.
he took a couple of sips and announced, "thanks, man, for showing my new favorite IPA".

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass.

Nice head that dissipated after a sip or two.

Crystal clear bronze copper color. Carbonation rising after each sip. Looks beautiful in front of a light.

Smell - Like SNPA. Very similar. Not impressive but distinct. I believe I could tell this was a Sierra Nevada brew just by smell alone.

Taste - Hops present but lightly balanced by the citrusy flavors. Its taste and drinkable seems to improve after first few drinks.

Mouthfeel - Bitter carbonation at first, to smooth IPA goodness about halfway in. It has a tendency to cling to your tongue after ingestion.

Drinkability - This could prove well as a session beer. Weighing in at a 7.2% could catch up quick. It seems to go down quick enough to drink more than intended.

OVERALL - A very decent brew. With its cheap price and drink ability it could go far in a night. I would love to have this at a bar on tap paired with some hot wings or pizza.

3.51/5  rDev -14.6%

I've only tried Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale once, and at the time I didn't really care for it. I was going to pick up a six pack and give it another shot, but decided instead to try something new. Pours a coppery-orange with a nice looking off-white head. Right off the bat I'm impressed with how this beer looks. Smells pretty good too. Solid malty smell, accented by hops. Tastes pretty good at first, smooth and pleasantly bitter. Finishes a bit too bitter for me and after a few sips I don't like it as much. I'm not really sure how to rate the taste as I don't think it's bad nor particularly good, but it's by no means average. Eh I'll give it a 3.5 on taste. Overall, pretty good, a quality product, but not my favorite of the style.

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: The beer is the color of a summer sunset. The head was ample while dissipating fairly quickly though leaving nice lacing. The beer was a wee bit too far on the opaque side.

Smell: I just don't get a whole lot in the bouquet. I expect a lot more from an american double ipa. I'm looking for big esters or florals, but its subtle. I get a little grapefruit and pine.

Taste: There is that big hop assault on your palate that you would expect and want from a IPA. The pine comes through with nice florals. However, I would like to get more of the grapefruit and esters to come through in the taste.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer excels. The carbonation, the bitterness- it is a wonderful moment when it hits your tongue, cheeks, and throat. It makes your mouth feel alive and completely engaged in the drinking experience.

Drinkability: This is a good, quality IPA that offers a nice drinking experience.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-Copper/amber color

-Hints of mint and a strong citrus aroma

-You can tell this IPA has good amount of hops from the lingering bitterness left in your mouth

-Good balance of combination, malt, and hops

-Overall a really good double/imperial IPA

-Good job Sierra Neveda!

4.51/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a golden honey, small tan head, which dissipates quickly.

S: 50% pine 50% hops. Amazing smelling.

T: Tastes almost exactly as it smells...strong pine notes followed quickly by a surge of hops, which dominate the aftertaste. Some bready flavors too.

M: Pretty carbonated, medium thickness. Goes down very smooth regardless.

O: They weren't kidding about extra, this thing is a punch in the face. 16 oz can is almost a bit overwhelming...who the hell am I kidding, it's fantastic.

Serving type: can into a pint glass

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

the beer is a really good example of an west coast ipa. The hop aroma is really nice and strong. Let it be noted that it is stronger than average.
There is hardly any malt body present on the palate because the hop flavour dominates the taste. The smell is exceptional and straight hop forward.
It is a nice beer but not for everyone. Hopheads will love it though!

*poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass*

This beer poured a murky amber/orange color and formed a soft, off-white head that hung out for awhile. It eventually settled into a thin foam top that left some fair lacing.

Dank is the first word that came to mind when the aroma hit me. I'm getting boatloads of fruity (think grapefruit and pineapple) hops with a suprising amount of sweet caramel malts. There's a noticable amount of alcohol wafting out of there too. Its not so much as to be distracting, but its definitely there.

The flavor went a little sidways on me. Rather than getting the fruity hops that I smelled, I'm getting bitter pine with just a hint of citrus. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, it just kind of caught me off guard. On subsequent tastes, I'm getting more and more of those caramel balancing malts. They never come close to overtaking the hops, but they do come out of hiding and into the open reletively early, unlike a lot of other West Coast IPAs. This is a good beer. The only thing holding it back is that its nothing special. That sounds like a slam but its really not. Its a nicely balanced American IPA. I've had better, but I've had A LOT worse too.

This brew actually seemed to have a fair amount of body to it and the carbonation feels just right. The flavor does seem to fade a little faster than some of the other IPAs I've had.

I'm a little hung up on drinkability here. Its a good beer. I had no trouble at all drinking a single. And while I could definitley drink an entire 6 pack in one session, I don't think I'd want to. The hop profile just isn't my favorite; I prefer citrus to pine. And then there's the ABV... While its not a 10%+ mad man like the Imperials out there, 7.2% can put a quite a fuzz on things.

Overall, its good. If you like IPAs, pick up a sixer. I think mine was $7.99 or $8.99. Either way its, at the very least, a good value for a hophead.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass.

Initially a large frothy head erupted but did not stay long. Lacing is quite apparent - a colour I would relate to pearl. This beverage is a beautiful amber colour bordering on an apple cider look.

The smell is certainly of pine needles and fresh lemon grass. I detect an undertone of malt that brings this IPA back down to Earth. Odour is pleasant and not overpowering.

Taste is dominated by the evergreens and is very refreshing.

A very smooth feeling around the mouth and not too bitter.

This is a great IPA by Sierra Nevada. Highly recommend to anyone who loves an IPA/Double IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

appearamce- clear copper tones with a full finger and a half width of an off white foam that leaves moderate lacing.

smell- lots of hops, more grassy/piney than citrus with some malt.

taste- citrus hops stand out more than they did in the smell but the grassy/piney ones still steal the show. there is a couple of seconds of sweetness that comes in the middle until the very bitter end closes the curtains.

mouthfeel- meadium body with moderate carbonation and a little foamy/soapy until the dryness comes in.

overall- wow, what a awesome well balanced ipa from start to finish. to top it off, i paid less than $35.00 a case for it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: A dark amber with a tan head that dissolves quickly into a mild lacing.

S: Smells of rich hops with mild notes of citrus and pine in the background.

T: A big blast of hops and grapefruit on the top of the brew with some caramel notes on the backend.

M: Very mild feeling with excellent carbonation

Overall: An excellent example of the style from yet another excellent SoCal Brewery.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A consistently good brew that is easy drinking and we'll worth the affordable price ($16.00/12 in CT). I would highly recommend this brew to any IPA lover!

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

This seems like a beer to attract the crossover BudMillOors drinker that wants to be able to tell his friends that he is into microbrews.

Having said that, it is a well crafted beer. It tastes like a classic red (malty on the finish with a ruby hue in the glass) but has a great hoppy nose. When I took my first whiff I could see how the previous reviewer thought that this beer was wet hopped. But on taking a few sips the "green" flavor fades and it is pure malt with the ever-present mild hoppy smell.

I didn't get the "sticky" and "sweet" sense of this beer either, other than the aftertaste that lingers a lot longer than the crisp flavors of Alpine Pure Hoppiness or Russian River IPA. The maltiness adds a sweetness that may be describes as an purposely inefficient mash, but that's not the prominent flavor.

Overall, this is a beer that I would be happy to drink a pint of on any occasion but wouldn't drink two in a row.

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

I poured this beer from a 120z bottle with freshness date in to a pint glass. Beautiful white frothy head on this beer also has nice head retention and lacing. The body is clear, and clean with a pure copper color. The smell of this beer is grapefruit/citrus hops and sweet malts does not come off over hoped. Taste is sweet malt flavor right away, followed by citric flavor with a bitter feel in the back of the mouth. Full mouthfeel, nice and clean, goes down smooth with a bitter back end. Overall this beer has good malt and hop flavors with an astringent and bitter aftertaste. There is a lot of talk about this being the same or close to Celebration Ale but it is not. I prefer Celebration Ale due to the hop profile. Torpedo does sport a 7.2 ABV and is a good addition to S.N. line. I enjoyed this beer and will be drinking it again.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

I have been drinking as much of this as I can, hands down the best thing from SN in a while, although the fresh hop and celebration are also amazing!

A- Hazy orange pours smooth with little head and leaves a nice lace on the glass, a very nice looking beer.

S- Citrus and pine dominate the smell, very fresh.

T- the best aspect of this brew is the taste, it is dry and hoppy, not overpowering, but very nice for an IPA. I could drink this beer all night, the alcohol is well hidden and it is so refreshing.

M- dry and flavorful, it leaves a nice bitter aftertaste that makes you want more.

D- I could drink this all the time, I try to have this in my fridge all the time. It goes down smooth and leaves an amazing aftertaste, dry and bitter.

I hope I can get this year round, it is fantastic. I enjoy this IPA and think SN deserves high praise for this wonderful brew!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance is a dim tanned orange, with a rich head that recedes leaving only subtle lace.

The smell is mild, but flavorful. IPA character immediately manifests in the aroma of sweet citrus-infused hops.

Flavor is even hoppier than the smell had indicated. Assertively hopped but with a smoothness characteristic of Sierra Nevada. It is heavy enough to boldly blast its flavor onto your tongue, but smooth enough to invite copious consumption. At 7.2%, this will get you drunk very quickly.

Though I would prefer Stone IPA any day, Torpedo is a solid alternative when it's around, especially in 12-pack form. A smooth, drinkable, and still assertively hopped beer. My favorite from Sierra Nevada (with the possible exception of Bigfoot).

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Serving Type: Poured from bottle into the Sam Adam's glass.

Appearance: Almost looks like iced tea. A lot of carbonation. Small head, but a lot of lacing starting about halfway down the glass.

Smell: Didn't get a lot of aroma. Could smell the hops and small amount of pine.

Taste: Nice and hoppy. Mostly pine flavors along with the hops.

Mouthfeel: Was thinner than I expected. Slippery feeling.

Drinkability: Great drinkability! I expected the beer to be a bit more thick and hoppy, but these go down Very easily compared to a double ipa. Could easily drink a couple of these.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%

Another great beer from sierra nevada. Finally a year round ipa from sierra, although for my area it's hard to find. I could drink this everyday, it has great hop flavor that usually costs you more money, but it is pretty inexpensive. Big fresh flavors with a smooth after-taste. One of my new favorite beers.

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard Pint Glass.

Look: A great amber center that tapers off to beautiful orange edges. The head is two and a half fingers deep after a slightly hard pour.

Smell: The aroma was of the typical citrusy hops that Sierra Nevada is known for but there was a certain piney element to it that I wasn't expecting. Very pleasant.

Taste: Again the hops play a huge role here but there are some really interesting flavors at play as well. I was initially bombarded by a hops explosion on my tongue but as that faded there was a distinct sweetness that was reminiscent of mint and pine. All of this was finished off by the slight bitterness of the hops. The taste was incredibly complex, especially how familiar I was with the standard flavors one finds in Sierra Nevada.

Feel: The high alcohol is masked by the perfect combination and full body of the brew. Again Sierra Nevada really knocked this one out of the park.

Drinkability: I purchased a six pack planning in having one or two but due to the refreshing nature and amazing taste here I finished the whole thing. A very inviting brew that begs you to have another (just watch out for that ABV).

Highly recommended!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Transparent, very clean, orange-copper color with a thick cream colored head. Great lacing. Great head retention. Nicely carbonated.

S - Sour citrus smell

T - Nice initial bitterness with a little bit of maltiness in the finish. Bitterness sticks with you for awhile. Almost a bitter grapefruity aftertaste. Alcohol flavor is well masked by the hops and malt.

M - Very smooth with the exception of the bitter aftertaste.

D - Good beer for the early summer. Nice crisp clean IPA.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 16oz can -- love these 4-packs!

Pours a hazy straw with strong carbonation and fluffy white head.

Aroma of piney citrus and a slight backbone of sticky-icky.

I really enjoy the balance of this IPA -- it's up there in my top 10 single IPAs. Malt backbone of cereal and grains help support this floral and resiny hop-forward brew.

Sticky and tart in the mouth. But in a good way :)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.