Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,755 | Hads: 10,141
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Transparent, very clean, orange-copper color with a thick cream colored head. Great lacing. Great head retention. Nicely carbonated.

S - Sour citrus smell

T - Nice initial bitterness with a little bit of maltiness in the finish. Bitterness sticks with you for awhile. Almost a bitter grapefruity aftertaste. Alcohol flavor is well masked by the hops and malt.

M - Very smooth with the exception of the bitter aftertaste.

D - Good beer for the early summer. Nice crisp clean IPA.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 16oz can -- love these 4-packs!

Pours a hazy straw with strong carbonation and fluffy white head.

Aroma of piney citrus and a slight backbone of sticky-icky.

I really enjoy the balance of this IPA -- it's up there in my top 10 single IPAs. Malt backbone of cereal and grains help support this floral and resiny hop-forward brew.

Sticky and tart in the mouth. But in a good way :)

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz. Brown bottle poured into my Sierra Nevada "Hop Tulip"

Look- Beautiful. Deep coppery/redish color with a medium sized dense head that lasts till the last sip. Big blotchy lacing all over the glass.

Smell- Hops, piney,grassy,yummy Hops. Maybe a hint of citrus in there too. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like I can smell a bit of estery alcohol from almost every beer I drink in this glass.

Taste- A little bit of grapefruit and a lot of flowery hops. Bitter but not unbalanced, there's definitely some sweet malt hiding in there.

Mouthfeel- Thick with a lots of carbonation but not overkill. This is perfect IMO.

O/A- This is excellent, and dangerously drinkable at 7.2% ABV. This is a top notch IPA, and it is widely available, and very affordable. I will enjoy this beer again and again.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

I've found my new favorite IPA. The difference i find between this and the Dogfish Head 90 minute is a subtle malt that steers away from it's extreme hoppy flavor.

It pours a beautiful dark golden brown with an effervescent head that sit's wonderfully above the rim of my mug.

I'm at the bottom of the glass already and the lacing still reaches all the way to the top of the mug. This beer is a masterpiece.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance is a thick amber with a slight cloudiness. Only a bit of head that settles into a light fizz.

The smell is nice and hoppy as it should be, but not particularly strong.

Now this is the hoppiness you are looking for from an extra IPA! Manages to stay in competition with the fanciest craft beers out there. The malts are mild in comparison to the hops, which I find to be well balanced. There is also a very nice fumatic bouquet that expands in your mouth on the back sip.

Torpedo is a solid extra ipa that I always enjoy. Better than most new-brew craft ipa's, and its merely a premium 6pack pricing.

My buddy bought me a sixer of Torpedo IPA as a thank-you gift. Drinking as I review. Poured from the bottle into a mason jar. Sits penny-copper with a pillowy head and a hoppy aroma. Intense hop taste with an immediate pine bitterness that stayed on my tongue long after each sip. Feels thick and swirly.

This is a great IPA, one which I look forward to finding on tap somewhere. Its flavor is bold but not menacing. If anything, I wish the aftertaste was a little mellower.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice golden copper color with fantastic clarity!

Nice citrus bouquet comprised mainly of grapefruit, orange and kiwi. I little too floral for my liking almost perfumey. The ABV is very prevalent too.

The taste is loaded with crisp, clean hops with prevalent grapefruit & kiwi on the palate with lingering bitterness & sourness!

This is a very good hoppy IPA that could benefit from a little more malt to balance it and give it more structure that could make it an outstanding world class beer! This would improve the mouthfeel too!

Overall a good drinkable IPA but not for newbie hopheads or those endeavoring to be.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Will somebody please tell me how Sierra Nevada can make an IPA with this much body and still keep it....sessional, or downright desirable? Well folks that's what this is; a very desirable IPA which is exceptionally good!

I had this poured from a bottle into a Tulip. Appearance is without flaw. Just a sexy looking brew that might remind you of a Canadian whiskey, if not for the wonderfully full head which sticks around and heavily laces throughout the experience. To the nose there is an enormous bouquet of floral hops. I definitely picked up some pine, biscuits and yes...I even got some Violet. As for the mouthfeel....well I've rarely experienced an IPA with THIS pleasant of a mouth-feel. In the mouth it is very very crisp but not unpleasant, actually it's as if your palate is being cleansed for the "fireworks". The taste is in fact the fireworks. My God! I can't say enough about how this beer has exceeded my expectations. Up front there is an amazing flow of hops, pine, biscuits and yes some violet. The beer finishes with something you'd think might keep the bitterness on you but in-fact it just teases you with more of a rustic pine...but a different "pine" than you'd think. This is the epitome of a FINE BOLD IPA. Yes, this is a very bold brew but one the "newbie" should be interested in and one where the "seasoned" enthusiast should be ecstatic about. AMAZING!

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tons of pine and citrus. A little more carbonation than I typically prefer. Wouldn't go to the store looking for this but not a bad brew for the price or if options are limited.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is amazing. First off, the strong bitter hops take over the tongue and you can't wait for the next sip. Consistency is a bit heavy, I wouldn't recommend this beer to quench your thirst on a hot day. Its more of a fall and winter beer for me, personally.

When poured the head is thick and remains throughout the beer, lines the glass nicely throughout your experience. Color is a pretty reddish-amber.

Tart smell do to the extra citrus flavor the hops provide- Yum!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm no hop head, but love this beer. Plenty smooth and malty to balance the ample hop load. Balance and ingredient compatibility are key in brewing outstanding beer, Torpedo is spot on.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was just ok for me. I liked their regular pale ale better. IPA I tried before this was Long Trail Limbo which I thought was outstanding. Would not buy this again. But.. Would not turn down if offered one either. (REVISED) ok, this beer has really grown on me. Maybe the first time I got a bad batch. Love this stuff more and more!

This is about half way to a double, so only offering it in fours boggles the mind a little. But that may have been because I was looking to get classy drunk on a budget and had I went with the sack full of Black Berry Steely's, I'd be writing this review with stump after fighting off the swarm of smelly vagrants on the way to the car. I'm typically on the fence when it comes to Sierra Nevada, but Torpedo has got the goods.

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tastes like cat piss. Hoping this is just a bad bottle.

Edit : not sure what was up with the first time I had this. It's actually grown on me now that I'm at the end of the 12 pack. There is still definitely a cat piss flavor going on here that is absurdly growing on me.

Some Starburst like fruit flavors with some light biscuit bready tinge. The hops are not as strong as I was expecting but they are very pleasant. Mouthfeel is excellent and the abv is on point. Very drinkable.

3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

My expectation was high. Not disappointed. This is pure goodness, I as I believe most IPAs are.
Nice amber color with decent head/carbonation.
Decided to go with the 6-pack bottles instead of the 12 pack.
Seems overly acidic.
It is not in my top 5 of IPAs, but was more than enjoyable!

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a gorgeous copper that really had depth. Nose was incredible with massive herbal mint and pine notes. Taste was a nice combination of sweeter malts quickly overwhelmed by a rush of hop bitterness and flavor. Grapefruit, pine and earthy herbal flavors prevail and the taste finishes with a distinct spicy hot note. Mouthfeel was a little thin for such satisfying flavors. Despite the 7.2 ABV this beer is as drinkable as they come. An exciting beer and a sign of the times.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

Dark orange hue with a small half finger head that fades to an ring around the glass. Small amount of lacing left behind here and there.

Smells very sweet, almost not so good sweet with an overabundance of pine sol.

Taste is phenomenal. It has the perfect combination of citrus, pine and sweet malt. This may be my new favorite.

The big hop presence is balanced perfectly with the malt. Could use a little more carbonation.

If it wasn't for the 7.2% alcohol I could pound these back all day.

And my GF who hates beer said "not bad"

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Nice pour, little to no head or lacing. Strong herbal hop aroma. Well balanced, with a strong hop finish, but not a "fresh hop" finish. More of a secondary hopping taste, but that's what the torpedo does. Doesn't live up to all of the hype, but for and XIPA, it's a good beer.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Review #1000! The pressure....

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a white single-finger head that retains decently well. The ale is a beautiful, hazy copper color. The aroma is certainly hoppy, but it has a surprising presence of toasted malt.

I taste strong citrus hops on the front with a formidable toasted malt base, and closes out with floral hops on the back. Nicely balanced. It has a medium to medium-full body, excellent carbonation, and is just a little bit chewy.

This beer as got some bite to it and is a bit on the heavier side for an IPA. The hops are very much present, but the malt is not simply a supporting role here. That said, it is well balanced, and makes an excellent session beer.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Pint Glass.

Appearance - Poured a nice heavy gold. About 1/2 inch head. Lots of lacing. Lots of carbonation.

Smell - Smells very citrusy.

Taste - Has a very nice citrusy flavour.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is just right!

Drinkability - This things kinda fill me up a little bit more than my normal selections. So I could probably only kick back 1 or 2.

A great beer!

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass...

A - pours a hi-clarity golden-amber. Small head with a quick fade that yields some blotchy lacing.

S - big floral hop bouquet garnished with piney-citric notes.

T - a pleasant balance of hops over the malt and bittering characters. crisp earthy hop bite.

M - hi-carbonation wields a bitter dryness.

D - a perfect next step after the SNPA. So many good american IPAs; this is a great example. though still slightly tame for my palette.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

One of the best beers I have had. The IPA pales (LOL) compared to it. Bought in a 16 oz. can and placed in a nice 16 oz. pilsner glass. Delicious. Great beer. Will taste great in the Summer if you are out on a boat. Tastes great in a stubby old fashioned beer glass also.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I've always considered Sierra Nevada beers as being the benchmarks of their respective styles. This beer is right there...if nothing else looks interesting this will always be a worthwhile choice. This beer does not disappoint, in my estimation. Bring on the tasty hops!

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Brought this beer after seeing numerous beer reviews and having it recommended to me from some friends of mine in the states.

Purchased from Utobeer in Borough market, London. Ive always been fond of Sierra Nevada's beers and they are a regular option of mine when drinking from the good ol' USA.

This was no exception. A very nice and enjoyable IPA. Big on the nose and pallate with the hop explosion you expect from big American IPA's.

Lovely on the nose with hints of spices like cinnamon and even cumin (dont ask lol).

All round this was a very nice and well made beer from Sierra Nevada.

3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

Beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass or mug. Right away was taken back by the lack of aromatics I would come to expect from something termed an "extra IPA." The aroma wasn't non-existent but left a lot to be desired. The taste wasn't as hoppy as expected either, a little citrus and piney but again I was expecting more from the label. It seemed to finish overly malty where I prefer the hops to be more balanced with the malt or to have it dried out a little more.

All in all this is far from a bad beer, I wasn't overly impressed the first time I had it, so I bought it again to be sure a few months later. It's not what I'd expect from an "extra IPA" but if you like some moderately hoppy beer with a bit more piney than citrus flavor with stronger malt finish give it a whirl. In my opinion you'll never go wrong trying a SN brew, this one was just not my favorite.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.