Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,724 | Hads: 10,008
4.75/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't have refined tastes, but I like this stuff. You be the judge its appearance, smell, and taste for yourself. I will talk about mouthfeel. I like this because it reminds me of a home-brew the old man next door made as a ritual.

Initially, I think the hops will strike the funny bones (maybe muscles) in my cheeks and force a squint, but the flavor stops short. For one ominous moment it threatens to unhinge my jaw as the taste expands my mouth cavity, but it backs off. It is more than most familiar IPAs, but not in a crazy lot-of-hops way.

Pleasant actually. No flaws, no wishes for more of this or less of that. Near perfect balance. Very enjoyable with a fleeting aftertaste of something resembling gingerbread, and pine, and citrus, and phenolic resins

A random synapse fired linking this with Anchor Steam Beer which I love, only it's different. Both are something like the home-brew the salt of the earth neighbor made. (937 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -42.6%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer. (457 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: 2 finger creamy and frothy head. Medium golden-copper color with good lacing.

Smell: Awesome dryhopped aroma of citrus and a little pine resin. Nice carmel aroma on the malt.

Flavor: Aggressive hop bitterness with well balanced malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Round creamy mouthfeel with medium finish.

Drinkablility: For a double IPA, the alcohol is very tame. Very drinkable and balanced. Quite refreshing. (419 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Geat smell and taste from this beer. Its appearance isn't anything special, but that doesn't really matter with a beer this flavorful. You can really taste a pine-ish tone to it with just the right amount of bitterness to complement it. The only downside to the beer is, for me, it's a little too strong to drink more than 2 or 3 in a row. But with a higher ABV, who needs that? (419 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

I honestly thought this beer was a one-time only release. One year later my opinion remains unchanged and dead on.

Appearance 8/10 - Outstanding offering by Sierra Nevada, I just find it one dimensional.

Smell 9/10 - Glorious hop activity, beginner hop head's dream.

Taste 6/10 - Again, too one dimensional for my liking, bitter hops too assertive and lacking a malty balance to cleanse the palate.

Mouthfeel 5/10 - Abrasive. I honestly wish hoptimum would replace this, for it has more balance.

Overall 5 out of 10 - Not worth going out of your way for. This is Sierra Nevada and I feel this Torpedo is on it's way out. (625 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

One of the best beers I have had. The IPA pales (LOL) compared to it. Bought in a 16 oz. can and placed in a nice 16 oz. pilsner glass. Delicious. Great beer. Will taste great in the Summer if you are out on a boat. Tastes great in a stubby old fashioned beer glass also. (271 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat. (1,656 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Even with a soft pour, this beer produces a large, fluffy cream-colored head that dissolves slowly leaving puffy lace. The beer is copper and clear. Very inviting.

The nose presents mostly citrus--particularly grapefruit--with additional notes of pine and hint of spice.

The first taste on the palate is the citrus but this quickly gives way to a pleasant bite of spiciness that lingers on in the after taste. The malt is dominated by the hops but makes a brief showing mid-taste. As the beer warms the malt tends to hang around a little longer.

Body is medium with good carbonation. The acidity of the hop spice becomes palpable. Finish is dry.

A beer that is boldly hopped but manages to be easy to drink. A very good West Coast IPA. (739 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Cloudy orange color with a thick head. The nose consists mostly of hops with some citrus. The taste is on the bitter side with pine, hops, grapefruit and malt. Its a full bodied creamy IPA that is better than most it is very dry especially on the finish but the flavor is superior to most IPAs i've had (302 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz bottle into an Imperial British Pint glass.

I originally found this beer at the local Albertson's (a chain supermarket) a couple of years ago and I had never seen it before, even though Sierra Nevada beers have been a staple of mine for 10+ years. I was pleasantly surprised by the boldness of the hops, usually you dont find beer with this much hop character in a mass chain supermarket.

This beer has become one of my favorites when I am looking for something with a little edge to it, and by 'edge' I mean hops... anyway, ON TO THE REVIEW ;)

Appearance: Caramel color, slighty opaque, 1cm head on pour which easily reforms with agitation, head consists of nice tight bubbles which almost give it a nitro appearance. Head will hold 1-2mm for duration of drinking

Smell: Piney, resin, with some malt sweetness with agitation

Taste: Hoppy bitterness jumps on the tongue with first taste, carbonation "pops" on tongue for a "bright" taste

Mouthfeel: Hops grab the tongue and do not let go without a fight!

Overall: A classic American IPA with a very bold hoppiness. Mid range ABV at 7.2% (1,099 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Torpedo Extra IPA is one of the nicest looking beers around. It's a golden-orangish, slightly hazy beauty with an off-white head that lingers.

Smell: Hops.

Taste: I love the piney, resinous, liberal amount of hops SN puts into this one. This beer has a depth of flavor character that I can't do justice with my limited-knowledge tongue. It tastes like an IPA fan's wet dream.

Mouthfeel: More of the same (excellence). It has a sticky resinous thing going on that I dig. You continue to taste it after the swallow.

Overall: Torpedo is one of my favorites from one of my favorite breweries. I see this one as a kind of standard I measure other IPAs to. I know it's technically not a "single," but I see "singles" with alcohol contents similar to this one all the time. If you've, for some reason, never tried this beer, do yourself a favor. It's affordable too! (879 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours clear and a beautiful brown. Milder aroma than I expected and just slightly sudsy but pleasantly so. Excellent carbonation out of the bottle - just right on the palate. Unlike some of the other reviews, I did not detect any lingering stickiness. But enough about that - drink this because of the explosive bold strong taste, complex hoppiness, lingering citrus bitterness and piney notes in the back. Just a great tasting beer. (473 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite IPAs. This one of the more dry IPAs out there. Some IPAs can be slightly sweet but not this one. This is definitely a grown mans beer. The flavor last long after the sip. Highly recommended for experienced beer drinkers. Amateurs stay away. (259 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

An exceptional beer that is readily available in almost any location. This is simply a true go-to IPA with a hop punch that is exceptional. In the end, this brew is so good it's dangerous. (188 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Maybe it's that I haven't gotten a fresh enough batch as I live in Europe but I can't figure out the serious love for this beer. It's quality for sure, but a bit heavy. I suppose I like my ipas a bit lighter with more fruit. Well priced though, and solid, just after a few tries hasn't blown me away.... (307 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What more can anybody say an other great product form SN.

Pours a nice amber color with a decent head.

Hops are righty up front in the front as you bring it up to the nose. Initial taste is beautiful hop bitterness, but so well balenced by some very good malt character.

Not surpriseing it sells out here in the the middle of OK fairly quickly. (349 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This golden colored beer pours with a thick foamy head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is sweet yet with a hint of a pine note.

If you enjoy bitter beers then this should be on your list. I was very happy with the overall mouthfeel (all in the back of your mouth)...

Again, Sierra Nevada does not disappoint. (321 characters)

Wow. I read alot about this beer and couldn't wait to try it. Pours a delicious amber color, nice head. Then the smell of piney resiny hops punch you in the nose. Its like putting your nose inside a bag of fresh hops and inhaling as deep as you can go. I can't stop smelling it as I'm drinking it. The only time I set the glass down is as I write this. The taste is just awesome. I am getting more hop flavor out of this than most DIPAs! For a second I thought it WAS a DIPA. The blend of pine, herbs and citrus really all stand out on their own, while complimenting each other at the same time. Perfect. Nice and easy malt backbone to mellow it all out and make it come together. At $8.99/6 pack, this can't be beat. This is why I drink beer! I can't say enough about it. Good lacing all the way down. I am so happy this is available all year round! If you can get it, the do so! If you like hops, this is for you. (915 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: About a half inch of head on top. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass. Pours a nice copper color.

S: Aromatic hop smell comes through strongly. I detect mostly a grapefruit orangey kind of smell.

T: The flavor comes in waves. The flavor of the hops comes through at the beginning then a biscuit flavor comes through finally finishing with the citrus bitter hop taste at the end at the back of your tongue.

M: Very nice mouthfeel. Kind of velvety. Not too thick or thin. Perfect amount of carbonation.

D: Excellent beer but it is very bitter at 70 IBU. It will rape your taste buds after a while, but in a good way ;-)

Overall: Was very excited to try this beer. I love Sierra Nevada's beers and I am a huge fan of IPA's. This is another solid offering from Sierra Nevada. Would recommend checking it out if you are a fan of IPA's. Great IPA for the money. I would definitely get this beer again. (909 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle purchased at Total Wine, PBG, FL.

Been looking forward to trying this one for a while now. Anyhow, it pours orange bronze with an inch and a half worth of head. Highly carbonated. Piney hop aroma, not overpowering. But nice. Taste is very well balanced. Grapefruity bitterness up front, then some sugar cookie sweetness to balance it out. Finishes with an almost peppery bitterness.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. It's not a kick your teeth in IPA. It is bitter. But balanced. Good stuff. I will drink this again. (534 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

pours dark straw with great white head and good lacing all the way down. big citrisy and pine aroma. it almost seems that there is an excellent malt/hop balance for this west coast ipa hop bomb. don't get me wrong, it's a west coast ipa all the way, but it does have a nice underlying maltiness. Would buy again, great hot summer day beer. (339 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

Holy Cascade Hops, Batman. Really good beer. It's as if Sierra Nevada condensed their Pale Ale into this syrupy, piney brew. There's some malt in the background but this one is all about the hops. Strong pine-biterness and grapefruit have me not noticing the 7%. I could drink too many of these at once. (303 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Nice lace - Give it swirl and you see beauty

S - Hops jump out like a true IPA should. Smell of citrus and alcohol

T - Citrus and piny flavors come out. Finish is extended and pleasantly bitter - not overwhelming.

M - Nice and thick - Great for a IPA - Almost like a DIPA

D - Good session beer. Can have a few in a night. (329 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

First Review so bare with me:

Poured into my Stella Artois goblet, little to no head with thin lacing. It displayed a deep amber color akin to finely polished amber gems housing a prehistoric insect.

Smells of pine and citrus with a hint of that familiar grain smell of all beers.

I am immediately hit with the bitterness of the hops but it is lacking the typical citrus after taste I am use to with other beers in the same class.

Mouthfeel is thin and does not linger on the palette although the sting of the bitterness stays with you, which I happen to like.

Overall I like it, though I prefer others in the same style which have a strong citrus aftertaste that match the smell better. Like previous posters states its availability, price, and drink ability make it a win for me and would certainly pick up a sixer of this to share with my friends. (856 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Overall, a nice (oddly) balanced American IPA.
Looks good.
Smells good.. a tad sweet, but a nice floral, fruity hoppy nose.
In terms of taste, the finish is really nice.. notes of ambrosia, pineapple and mouth tingling herbs as it fades into a lingering bitterness. Upfront, however, there is a cotton candy sweetness that really bugs me. The flavors manage to balance eachother out, but I prefer less of those banana sweet spikes in my 7% range IPAs.
Mouthfeel is messed up a little, consequently.
Still drinks just fine.. the fresher the better.
Considering it's price and availability, depending on where you are it may be a good choice. But IMO it is not even in the same league as the likes of Green Flash West Coast, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Surly Furious, or even New Belgium Ranger. Then again, I like a more earthy, consumingly abrassive IPA. I do think it is well worth seeking Torpedo out if the likes of Bell's Two Hearted is in your faves.. reminds me of it quite a bit. (981 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.