Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,745 | Hads: 10,078
4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

Dark orange hue with a small half finger head that fades to an ring around the glass. Small amount of lacing left behind here and there.

Smells very sweet, almost not so good sweet with an overabundance of pine sol.

Taste is phenomenal. It has the perfect combination of citrus, pine and sweet malt. This may be my new favorite.

The big hop presence is balanced perfectly with the malt. Could use a little more carbonation.

If it wasn't for the 7.2% alcohol I could pound these back all day.

And my GF who hates beer said "not bad" (537 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Nice pour, little to no head or lacing. Strong herbal hop aroma. Well balanced, with a strong hop finish, but not a "fresh hop" finish. More of a secondary hopping taste, but that's what the torpedo does. Doesn't live up to all of the hype, but for and XIPA, it's a good beer. (276 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this here is sheer delight in a bottle, for most anyone who loves IPAs.

I recently rewarded the friend who got me hooked on IPAs by introducing him to this.
he took a couple of sips and announced, "thanks, man, for showing my new favorite IPA". (245 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Review #1000! The pressure....

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a white single-finger head that retains decently well. The ale is a beautiful, hazy copper color. The aroma is certainly hoppy, but it has a surprising presence of toasted malt.

I taste strong citrus hops on the front with a formidable toasted malt base, and closes out with floral hops on the back. Nicely balanced. It has a medium to medium-full body, excellent carbonation, and is just a little bit chewy.

This beer as got some bite to it and is a bit on the heavier side for an IPA. The hops are very much present, but the malt is not simply a supporting role here. That said, it is well balanced, and makes an excellent session beer. (727 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Pint Glass.

Appearance - Poured a nice heavy gold. About 1/2 inch head. Lots of lacing. Lots of carbonation.

Smell - Smells very citrusy.

Taste - Has a very nice citrusy flavour.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is just right!

Drinkability - This things kinda fill me up a little bit more than my normal selections. So I could probably only kick back 1 or 2.

A great beer! (387 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass...

A - pours a hi-clarity golden-amber. Small head with a quick fade that yields some blotchy lacing.

S - big floral hop bouquet garnished with piney-citric notes.

T - a pleasant balance of hops over the malt and bittering characters. crisp earthy hop bite.

M - hi-carbonation wields a bitter dryness.

D - a perfect next step after the SNPA. So many good american IPAs; this is a great example. though still slightly tame for my palette. (477 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

One of the best beers I have had. The IPA pales (LOL) compared to it. Bought in a 16 oz. can and placed in a nice 16 oz. pilsner glass. Delicious. Great beer. Will taste great in the Summer if you are out on a boat. Tastes great in a stubby old fashioned beer glass also. (271 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I've always considered Sierra Nevada beers as being the benchmarks of their respective styles. This beer is right there...if nothing else looks interesting this will always be a worthwhile choice. This beer does not disappoint, in my estimation. Bring on the tasty hops! (270 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Brought this beer after seeing numerous beer reviews and having it recommended to me from some friends of mine in the states.

Purchased from Utobeer in Borough market, London. Ive always been fond of Sierra Nevada's beers and they are a regular option of mine when drinking from the good ol' USA.

This was no exception. A very nice and enjoyable IPA. Big on the nose and pallate with the hop explosion you expect from big American IPA's.

Lovely on the nose with hints of spices like cinnamon and even cumin (dont ask lol).

All round this was a very nice and well made beer from Sierra Nevada. (596 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

Beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass or mug. Right away was taken back by the lack of aromatics I would come to expect from something termed an "extra IPA." The aroma wasn't non-existent but left a lot to be desired. The taste wasn't as hoppy as expected either, a little citrus and piney but again I was expecting more from the label. It seemed to finish overly malty where I prefer the hops to be more balanced with the malt or to have it dried out a little more.

All in all this is far from a bad beer, I wasn't overly impressed the first time I had it, so I bought it again to be sure a few months later. It's not what I'd expect from an "extra IPA" but if you like some moderately hoppy beer with a bit more piney than citrus flavor with stronger malt finish give it a whirl. In my opinion you'll never go wrong trying a SN brew, this one was just not my favorite. (885 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

A bright amber with a large airy foam head. Interestingly, the caramal malt dominates the nose, with the piney/citrus hops subdued. There’s no doubting the hops in the pallet, as they charge full steam ahead. Doesn’t have that chalkiness that this level of hopping can come with, just a big and clean bitterness. (316 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a clear copper color with one inch white head, great retention and lacing. Aroma of citrusy, piney hops along with a fruity sweetness. Taste is nicely balanced. Has a caramel sweet front and goes down nice and bitter with citrusy hops. Finish is smooth and a nice bittering aftertaste. Medium bodied. (306 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tastes like cat piss. Hoping this is just a bad bottle.

Edit : not sure what was up with the first time I had this. It's actually grown on me now that I'm at the end of the 12 pack. There is still definitely a cat piss flavor going on here that is absurdly growing on me.

Some Starburst like fruit flavors with some light biscuit bready tinge. The hops are not as strong as I was expecting but they are very pleasant. Mouthfeel is excellent and the abv is on point. Very drinkable. (485 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy orange with a one-finger white head. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Aromas of grapefruit, orange peel, and big piney hops.

T - There is a citrus peel and piney hops right upfront. Once the citrus fades the bitterness kicks in. The bitterness is aggressive and lasts through the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very dry mouthfeel.

O - This is one big bad DIPA. Lots of piney hops and aggressive bitterness. (442 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

This is becoming one of my favorite beers. Used to be you had to hunt for it on the East Coast, but it's become more prevalent of late.

A rich copper-toned ale with a creamy thick head that just floats atop like ice cream on top of a Root Beer Float. Despite the potency of the ale, it doesn't have a strong piney taste, the pine rolls in late as it's going down. Both the aroma and initial taste bud reaction tastes of citrus, perhaps grapefruit. It's not too carbonated so it sits in your mouth without tickling too much. (524 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Tasted 01/17, bottle: clean, clear gold amber body with a 2 finger head, poured into my tulip glass, good retention in the beginning that quickly fades to a single oily layer with lacing, smells of pure forest pine and grapefruit some bittersweet soil gets in there too... very nice smell, taste is IPA style citrus hops, and some malty sweetness, excellent mouthfeel and long peppery bitter finish. Compared to the hype, I expected a Harvest like beer, but this one let me down a little bit, the Southern Harvest is hard to beat in my opinion, good... definately an affordably tastey IPA. (589 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Heard about the release and tasted this guy a month back and finally have it in the store....waiting for it, and worth the wait, an outstanding beer, one the best priced 6 pack I have in the store!

Has a blistered orange, yet clear appearance, wonderful medium head and a fair enough lacing, typical for a S.N.

Wonderful pine, earthy, grassy hops hit you as you open the bottle, just a womderful aroma, love it. Almost reminded me of their ESB that I have too! Hints of bitter fruits also linger in the air with that earthy smell.

The taste is even more wonderful than the aroma, wonderful citrus hops hits your tongue, great bitterness that fades away with a kind of sugar taster that comes into play at the end.

Over healthy amount of carbonation, that I thought could have been a bit less mellow!

A great beer overall, one their better ones! (849 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't have refined tastes, but I like this stuff. You be the judge its appearance, smell, and taste for yourself. I will talk about mouthfeel. I like this because it reminds me of a home-brew the old man next door made as a ritual.

Initially, I think the hops will strike the funny bones (maybe muscles) in my cheeks and force a squint, but the flavor stops short. For one ominous moment it threatens to unhinge my jaw as the taste expands my mouth cavity, but it backs off. It is more than most familiar IPAs, but not in a crazy lot-of-hops way.

Pleasant actually. No flaws, no wishes for more of this or less of that. Near perfect balance. Very enjoyable with a fleeting aftertaste of something resembling gingerbread, and pine, and citrus, and phenolic resins

A random synapse fired linking this with Anchor Steam Beer which I love, only it's different. Both are something like the home-brew the salt of the earth neighbor made. (937 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -42.6%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer. (457 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: 2 finger creamy and frothy head. Medium golden-copper color with good lacing.

Smell: Awesome dryhopped aroma of citrus and a little pine resin. Nice carmel aroma on the malt.

Flavor: Aggressive hop bitterness with well balanced malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Round creamy mouthfeel with medium finish.

Drinkablility: For a double IPA, the alcohol is very tame. Very drinkable and balanced. Quite refreshing. (419 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Geat smell and taste from this beer. Its appearance isn't anything special, but that doesn't really matter with a beer this flavorful. You can really taste a pine-ish tone to it with just the right amount of bitterness to complement it. The only downside to the beer is, for me, it's a little too strong to drink more than 2 or 3 in a row. But with a higher ABV, who needs that? (419 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

I honestly thought this beer was a one-time only release. One year later my opinion remains unchanged and dead on.

Appearance 8/10 - Outstanding offering by Sierra Nevada, I just find it one dimensional.

Smell 9/10 - Glorious hop activity, beginner hop head's dream.

Taste 6/10 - Again, too one dimensional for my liking, bitter hops too assertive and lacking a malty balance to cleanse the palate.

Mouthfeel 5/10 - Abrasive. I honestly wish hoptimum would replace this, for it has more balance.

Overall 5 out of 10 - Not worth going out of your way for. This is Sierra Nevada and I feel this Torpedo is on it's way out. (625 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat. (1,656 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Even with a soft pour, this beer produces a large, fluffy cream-colored head that dissolves slowly leaving puffy lace. The beer is copper and clear. Very inviting.

The nose presents mostly citrus--particularly grapefruit--with additional notes of pine and hint of spice.

The first taste on the palate is the citrus but this quickly gives way to a pleasant bite of spiciness that lingers on in the after taste. The malt is dominated by the hops but makes a brief showing mid-taste. As the beer warms the malt tends to hang around a little longer.

Body is medium with good carbonation. The acidity of the hop spice becomes palpable. Finish is dry.

A beer that is boldly hopped but manages to be easy to drink. A very good West Coast IPA. (739 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Cloudy orange color with a thick head. The nose consists mostly of hops with some citrus. The taste is on the bitter side with pine, hops, grapefruit and malt. Its a full bodied creamy IPA that is better than most it is very dry especially on the finish but the flavor is superior to most IPAs i've had (302 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.