Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,755 | Hads: 10,145
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Honestly, as an IPA guy and as a mixologist, I think torpedo is best used as mixing as a 50/50 with other ipas such as legacy, dirt wolf, snake dog, me you'll love it. Just play around with your own favorite ipas. To drink this straight up, I'm not a fan, but to mix it with other ipas, it's awesome! Cheers....

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a very good beer. Taste wonderful. Feels great and refreshing. I am a drinker and when I get a little extra dough I get some of this or maybe they bring me one thanks a lot for the beer really great.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a dark amber with lots of carbonation. A sticky 1 finger head of white foam rests on top. I can smell this beer as I'm pouring it. Nose is hops, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and oranges. Medium-light body on this one, which is just about perfect for an IPA or DIPA, in my opinion. This beer is a hop bomb on the palate, but it's amazing. Quite bitter with loads of citrus. I also get some notes of grapefruit, spice, and banana. Decent malt on the finish.

Torpedo is one of the beers that helped get me interested in craft beer, and it's still awesome. Very well balanced, and loaded with flavor and character.

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Darker amber color. Has a reddish tint. S - No real piney smell to it. Kind of smells like a Lager mixed with an IPA. T - Goes with the smell and has a lager/IPA mix taste. F - Has a heavier feel that darker IPAs have. Overall = Eh. Not one of my favorites.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (packaged December 16, 2014) into a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated March 7, 2015.

A-The beer is nearly clear with a reddish tinted copper color. There is about one and one-half fingers of very-off-white eggshell colored foam. The head is dense and pillowy with nice lacing and good retention.

S-The aroma is sharp with notes of pine, mint, toast, and a buttery sweetness that exposes this beers age but -- unlike most IPAs -- does not detract from the beer's aroma.

T-The taste is similar. It has that recognizable Sierra Nevada yeast/malt profile with some pine, a little bit of grapefruit, mint, buttered toast, and just the slightest hint of tropical fruit.

M-The feel is medium in body with a bit of oil and hop grit. Very drinkable.

O-This is a great beer. Unlike many IPAs or IIPAs, I could drink two of these without feeling like my palate has been blasted. Yet...the beer is appropriately hoppy and assertive. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for Sierra Nevada, but this is a very, very good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice IPA with possibly the best price point for product ratio. A tad skunky perhaps but when I want to scratch my IPA itch, a liter of this does the job often.
Thin head but good lacing. Great mouth feel. Taste/smell is mostly piney, with as others state many subtle undertones. Not too bitter unless uninitiated to IPA's.

Take away line..."Hoppy like a bunny"

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My second bottle of this one, a gift from my little sister (she had a six-pack and was nice enough to share a couple with me while I was visiting.) Bottling date is November 11th, 2014.

Color is a dark orange, mostly clear but with a bit of haziness. Little bubbles constantly rising from the bottom. Head is pretty thick and off-white in color; even with a pretty slow pour it ends up coming a half-inch from the top of my glass (a standard 16-ounce pint glass.) The head shrinks away into a light coating on top after a while, and as I drink it's leaving huge swaths of lacing behind on the glass as it goes. Like the other Sierra Nevada beers I've had so far, it looks pretty nice.

Smell is heavily leaning more on the hoppy side, not surprising for an IPA. I think the hops may have faded a bit with age in this particular bottle, but they are still definitely present; I'll have to have a fresher bottle to compare at some point. I picked up a bit more pine in the first bottle I had, while that aspect isn't quite as strong in this one. There's a "very ripe orange" sort of thing and a slight oniony funkiness similar to what I picked up from Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, along with piney and leafy/grassy/herbal sorts of things going on.

Taste is, like the smell, focused more on the hops than anything else. I can't really pick up anything that I would identify as a "malty" flavor even though this bottle is almost 5 months old, though my sister mentioned tasting something that reminded her of bread crusts. I think I might just barely be getting that, but it's hard to find through the hops. Speaking of the hops, they're very much in the leafy, grassy, herbal sort of range; my sister compared hers to a very strong herbal tea, which I think might not be too bad of a comparison after having a couple of them. It's definitely a very leafy, herbal sort of flavor. I got more pine from my first bottle compared to this one, but even in the first one I had the initial pine eventually gave way to the leafy/herbal sorts of flavors. I've also gotten hints of a citrusy flavor every now and then in this one. Similarly to the Hoppy Lager from the same brewery, the bitterness is present enough to keep the beer from seeming "sweet" but blends in well enough with the flavors that it isn't harsh or jarring at all--which is how I like bitterness in my beers. This one pulls that off very well. Heck, from the three beers I've had from them so far I might go so far as to say Sierra Nevada beers in general pull that off very well.

Mouthfeel is basically "fizzy but it works." There's definitely a good bit of carbonation in this beer, but it seems to work out in the beer's favor. It feels nice on the mouth and tongue and it goes down *very* easy for something with over 7% ABV (as mentioned above, the bitterness doesn't come across as harsh or jarring to me at all, instead blending in very nicely with the flavors of the beer.) The alcohol is not detectable at all to me, at least not until you get two-thirds of the way through the glass and start to feel the effects a bit anyway.

I don't know if my taste buds are getting more used to IPAs/hoppy beers in general, or if this is just a great example of how tasty and drinkable an IPA can be (considering the other reviews I'm seeing if I scroll down a little, I'm suspecting it may be some of both!), but either way I've really enjoyed this one both times I've had it. I'll definitely have to have some of this again sometime (especially if I can find it a bit fresher), when my wallet is fuller and my fridge is emptier.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go-to IPA. Doesn't have the underlying complexity of some others, but the over the top citrus/pine/flowery smack-you-in-the-face hops along with nice carbonation, feel, and body makes this beer very drinkable.

I never rate beers. I like to drink them. I drink all the fancy ones people like to call the best beers in the world. KBS, Pliny, etc. This, to me, is the best beer in the world. This has the hops that every IPA strives for. More importantly you don't have to pay 22.99 for a 4 pack if you're lucky to get there at the right time. You don't have to show up on a Tuesday morning and whisper "george the animal steel likes butterscotch crumpets". This beer is $7.99 a sixer at Wegmans. Wegmans isn't exactly known for their bargains. 6 stars. 6 I say!

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look- Massive foamy head. Clear reddish/Amber. Excellent sticky lace retention.
Smell- Sugary and citrus aroma. Reminds me of lemonade.
Taste- complex and intense. Very Hoppy with a bready and malty backbone. herbal, piney and resinous. Bitter grapefruit finish.
Feel- Amazing feel goes down quickly and easily. Medium bodied. Stinging carbonation on the tongue.
An excellent beer overall. A hop bomb!

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

Love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...decided to give this one a try. Wasn't a big fan. I traditionally love the overtly "hoppy" taste but this had a sharpness to it that didn't cooperate with my tastebuds. Critiqued it before checking its review on here and I was shocked with how high it was rated. Decent, but not an instant favorite.

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's among my favorite of the high-hop-content American IPAs at 65 IBUs with some unique ingredients and inventive hopping techniques. It pours a deep amber with soapy head and resilient lacing. The aroma is that familiar hallmark of American West Coast IPAs: fresh Magnum bittering hops with their pungent citrus, juniper, and grassy notes and typical floral charm. Take a sip and the smokey-sweet malt coats your mouth while the Citra hops - the sour diesel of hops - settle on your breath for the long haul. The balance is perfect. To me this is one of the best strong IPAs by one of the best - one of the pioneers - of the American pale ale genre.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If I am completely honest I think price point plays a role in my rating, but I can't separate how good of a beer this is for the price. This beer would be worth it at 2-3$ more a six pack - it just happens to be cheap, available and wonderful. With that caveat out of the way, into the review.

L- Poured into a weiss glass (not sure why) poured from a 16oz can. Poured clear and copper with a big, fluffy off-white head. It really is a good looking beer. Darker than many west coast IPA's.
S- Pine and citrus steals the show with a subtle sweetness.
T- mmmm - big pine and citrus flavor (dry hopped with citra). Super balanced and not too bitter but still allows for HUGE hope flavors which is what I think makes a great IPA, all the things that we love about hops without the palate wrecking bitterness.
F- Medium bodied, pretty sticky for an IPA (boarding on DIPA) carbonation is really good.
O- This is one of my favorite IPA's and not in a nostalgic way, since I had many before this - It is just an excellent IPA. Sierra Nevada is quickly gaining much respect from this guy.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

24oz bottle poured into hotel rocks glass. Clear amber with a finger of white head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma is grapefruit, caramel, mint, pear. Taste is slightly sweet fruit and caramel followed by herbal, citrus rind, and aspirin bitterness. Medium body, sticky texture, moderate carbonation, dry medicinal finish.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

While this IPA is a little over-the-top on the hops and bitterness it manages to retain an excellent balance of mouth-feel and aroma. The taste is a bit of an acquired taste for anyone not already conditioned for the more extreme IPA styles. Those of us that do like the hop punch in the face, this beer certainly does satisfy. It is a great example of the power of Magnum hops to bitter.

4.81/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first go round with this beer,great taste,not quite as good as good as Dog Fish Head 90 minute,but smoother flavor than 21st amendment Brew Free or Die,will defiantly drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 12/1/2014. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy orange/amber color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, pineapple, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus/pine hops and light-moderate bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, pineapple, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, pineapple, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Outstanding complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and light-moderate bready malt flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an outstanding IPA. All around great complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and light-moderate bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A great staple ale. No wonder so many people like this brew. Very tasty and crisp. I prefer the kellerweis to this but this one is a great choice as well.

From my review notes taken in fall of 2013:

A: Clear reddish amber (filtered). Conservative bottle w/ no ABV on lable, tall white head.

S: strong pleasant citrus & flowery pine. Suble malt sweet smell.

T: Beginning malt dry malty, middle hops; citris & flowery pine,. Bitter end & lingering bitter aftertaste covers up any alcohal taste.

M: medium body, dry, above average carbination, refreshing & not filling.

O: Crisp, lite, hop forward, dry hopped IPA. Pleasant smelling & hoppy leaning but more balanced than most ipas. Not filling. I'd rather some more malt backbone. The dry finish makes it very drinkable.

This ale is dry hopped using the torpedo device.

From the SN Website:
Bittering hops: Magnum
Finishing hops: Magnum, Crystal, Citra
Malts: Two-row Pale, Caramel

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. It poured a medium brown with about an inch of head. It laces nicely around the glass. After settling it appeared to trn a darker brown. It looked delicious just sitting in my glass. First smell was a spicy pine smell. Nothing overbearing. It adds a citrus kick upon drinking and is smooth as hell going down. Fantastic beer.

Pours a tangerine color with a two finger white head. Aroma is piney, resin and slight grapefruit. Taste follows with tons of pine and resin and more grapefruit tan the nose. Mouthfeel is medium, super drinkabke for 7.2%. Overall a nice, solid ipa and another well crafted beer from SN.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an updated review. I had reviewed this before, but got a fresh batch in a four pack of pint cans and I must say that there is a noticeable difference. This beer has a cool 7.2% ABV which is sort of the sweet spot for this variety even though I generally prefer a more stout content like 8.4% as you would see in like a Rebel Rouser by Sam Adams. The carbonation is perfect and pours a thick head that lingers, but can get rather thick if you pour it properly. Chill this beer down to near freezing and you will find it difficult to coax that silky thick head out of it.

A-This beer pours a cloudy dark golden brown that glimmers a golden hue in the right light. The active and plentiful carbonation bubbles tickle the lips and make for a large head if poured correctly. The lacing is slightly drooping, strong, and white like the head.

S-The aroma of this beer is more floral and full of dank citrus hops than anything I have smelled before—except for some imperial IPAs like Rampant. I think that this prepares the palate to receive this highly drinkable beer. If you do the Belgian dip properly then you will have a nose full of the true essences of this beer as you drink it.

T-The malty flavors and character of this beer are exhibited by a toasty nutty cracker that is perfectly balanced by the alcohol content and a punctuated hoppiness. This beer has a lingering grassy herbal taste that melts into waves of cascading citrus like mango and apricot.

M-The mouthfeel is smooth and very quickly gives way to the zingy qualities that come with the carbonation and then you get the bite of the hops. If you inhale through your nose simultaneously you will pick up more floral content at the end of your sip.

O-Overall I would say that this beer is all that I had hoped it would be. I was worried that it might not have the right complexity of flavors when I bought it, because most reviews focused on the hops and couldn’t precisely describe the background flavors and complex aromas. I was pleasantly surprised and I think you will be also. Be sure to find a very fresh pack of cans and I think you’ll love it as much as I do.

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy carbonation batman!! This one had me slurping the top of the IPA glass to prevent a waterfall of suds. What a pretty looking beer though. The chilled auburn appearance is graced with a massive cream colored crown of epic proportions. So fluffy and rich, like a giant dollop of whipped cream. Incredible lacing remains as the head recedes. As if it were perfectly etched in to the glass itself. This is easily one of the most picturesque beers I've ever seen. The aroma is a big, bold bouquet of hops. Complex and aromatic. Perfume-like. Elements of grapefruit citrus, lemon zest and spicy floral scents dominate. Malty bread notes punch through a little too. So fresh and vibrant! The taste brings a delicious blend of caramel sweetness and puckering hop bitterness. Amazingly, the malts hold their own here, striking a very improbable balance. Wow, simply delectable. It's quite a feat to pack in so much complex hop character and still have the backbone to bring it full circle. The mouthfeel is smooth, robust and full. Juicy, yet creamy and soft. An incredibly rich texture. To me, this beer stands tall on the sheer impact of the whole cone hop potency and remarkably sturdy malt base. The feat of balance is commendable, given the mega-hopped nature of the brew. It is certainly worthy of the name "Torpedo" because it is an unmistakable West Coast hop bomb. However, the stealth and sturdiness of the malts are equally fitting for this explosive namesake. World class all the way.

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright, clear copper with a slightly off white creamy head with excellent retention as well as sticky side glass lacing.
A: Hops, and more hops. Grapefruit rind and tart but also gets some balance from some bready malts, but the hops still dominate.
Taste: Get the citrus of grapefruit rinds and pineapple, spice and also creamy malts. Is dry with a bitter finish.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was just ok for me. I liked their regular pale ale better. IPA I tried before this was Long Trail Limbo which I thought was outstanding. Would not buy this again. But.. Would not turn down if offered one either. (REVISED) ok, this beer has really grown on me. Maybe the first time I got a bad batch. Love this stuff more and more!

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.