Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,639 | Reviews: 2,738

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark orange with a one-finger off-white head. Bit of carbonation at first, but it settles to almost none after awhile. Leaves a little, but not a lot of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Honestly smells like a normal IPA to me. Got a bit of hops upfront with a slightly sweet malty tinge. Just a hint of booze can be detected.

T: Unlike the nose, it's not your usual IPA. The hops are moderate and don't assault the palate. More piney than citrus from the hops, even a bit spicy at first. Malts are in there but not too pronounced. It's even a little sweet and floral with some earthy notes in there somewhere. It ends with the faintest touch of booze.

M: Medium-heavy bodied. Not too heavy, but you'll know you're drinking something. Very crisp and clean. Barely leaves a slickness in the mouth. Goes down well!

O: Not my favorite of IPA's, but I finally tried and I'm glad to say that I have. I really enjoy it and might even pick up another 6-pack if given the chance. It's very session-able and doesn't bombard the senses like some IPA's do. I recommend you give this one a try!

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep Golden color with slight haze, a vigorous pour at half full creates a finger of light cream at the top that fades fairly quickly to a thin layer covering the top.

S: Fantastic aromas of pine and citrus and I am also thinking of sweet cherries. Pine dominates this beer but not quite like alba scots pine ale.

T: Strong pine again dominates but gives way to a biscuit cracker like flavor and then a nice bitter.

M: Smooth, easy to drink.

O: This has to be one of my favorite IPA's it has a strong bitter and pine profile but it tastes so good I could enjoy it anywhere, I had this sitting at a beach house on Anna Marie Island in FL and now I'm enjoing it in Indiana where it's snowing in April (why!?!?!) If you like IPA's this is bound to be a favorite.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

After a gradual graduation from the "Bud Light" of the early years to the better brewed Yuengling Lager, to the Black and Tan, to the Pale Ale of Sierra Nevada, and the thousands of beers in between, I have settled on this crisp IPA. Everything else now tastes like very sweet Kool Aid. This is a very high quality beer for the price. Having property in NC close to their new brewery is a plus too. By far, my favorite beer after decades of searching.

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I bought this beer because of its high listed BA score it had alongside it.

And I gotta say I was not expecting to almost be disgusted by the first sip.

This is the first beer I can say I hate. I don't get the high scores especially when it tastes like drinking a pine tree. I gave it an hour opened another bottle just in-case something went terribly wrong with the first during bottling but no such "luck"

I am far from a beer aficionado but I've never had a beer I disliked so much I had to sign up on a website just to review it...

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.