Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,939 | Reviews: 2,817
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Bought at Playstation 777 - Blue Lake Casino. A stones throw away from Mad River Brewery.

A - Pours a fluffy, white, tightly beaded head. Color is a deep golden hue, very close to SNPA.

S - Hugely piney, touching on citrusy and grassy.

T - A different take on an IPA, touching on IIPA...Extra IPA, I guess it fits.

M - Typical. Nothing extraordinary.

D - I found this very drinkable considering the category. After a while, the piney hop taste went away, and I wanted more. Much more.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Hazy orange/copper body, little in carbonation streams, topped by three fingers plus of fluffy sticky white bubbles.

Assertive juicy citrus aroma, backed by pine.

A solid stream of malt flows directly up the center of the tongue, paintng a guideline for juicy citrus as it engulfs the mouth. Drys after the swallow.

Firm solid mouthfeel. Wonderfully drinkable.

It won't replace Celebration, but the wait will be a bit easier now.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful reddish amber with tons of bubbles and a decent white head that doesn't linger too long.

Smell: First smell to hit the nostrils is hops. Not quite as strong as I was expecting. People told me this was a hop-bomb, and the hops are present, but there are also citrusy and piney (edit: very piney) notes that mellow the smell of hops somewhat.

Taste: Smooth. The hops become almost an afterthought. An implosion of pine and citrus. It reminds me of the juniper bushes in front of my old house. Slightly bitter towards the end, but rounding out to a maltier finish than expected.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than I was looking forward to. This strikes me as less "Extra" and more "regular" IPA-ish.

Drinkability: This could be a solid session beer for me. I know anything over 6% ABV is supposed to be non-session-able, but this is a very smooth IPA. I had to review my second beer because my girlfriend distracted me during the first, and by the time I looked down, it was gone.

I was stoked about the Torpedo Extra IPA. I kept asking when it was going to make it Kansas, and I'm glad it did. It was quite the hop-tacular that I was expecting, but there are enough of those to go around. I'm glad this is going to be a year-round offering because it's a solid IPA that I could see myself falling back on whenever there's not something special in my fridge, and I could be perfectly okay with that.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Half inch of off white head, quickly recedes, though leaves a filmy cap of lace. Slight flecks of lace on the glass. Color is clear orange/amber. Lazy carbonation activity.

Smell is mildly citrus and fruity. Taste is solid grapefruit and orange juices and finishes with a rind tartness. Malt isn't really detected.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Finishes with a tart puckering aftertaste. Very enjoyable, and the ABV is not felt. This is a really good IPA, and I'm glad it will be available year round.

Blipped "I'm Your Torpedo" by Eagles of Death Metal

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass. The pour was deep, clear copper color with minimal head but plenty of lacing.

This one screams hoppy pines and very little else. This was certainly indicative of the taste to come.

The first sip brought forth an abrasive flavor of hops that lingered uncomfortably on the roof and tongue of the mouth; very little balance here. I was about ready to dismiss this one as a hop bomb out of control. However, if you let the ale warm a little, there is a little malt flavor and overall mellowness that does give a little balance.

A good amount of carbonation and medium bodied mouthfeel, after it warms some and settles down.

Not my favorite offering from this brewery, though it is certainly worth trying if you enjoy strong northwest hopped ales. The initial taste was harsh, but it did improve.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Heard this was best a little warmer, so I left it out of the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring into a pint.

Appearance: Lovely golden and ruby tones in clear liquid with little visible combination. Rocky 3 finger light tan head leaves behind tremendous sticky lacing and retains at about 1/2 a finger.

Smell: Not as overpowering as I expected from an "extreme" IPA. Very nice mild balance of grainy malt and citrus and floral hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Feel is surprisingly creamy and wet and fades immediately to a clean vapor after the beer is swallowed. The alcohol taste is very present in the aftertaste. Piney and citrus characters come through very presently with a crisp toasty malt. Very pungent, astringent bitterness with a clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: Moderate - would definitely need to pair this with food to keep going.

Nice golden amber with moderate head and decent lacing. Carbonation is visible in the tulip glass.

Bigger on the pine than the citrus, both of which I was led to expect by the label. A little more citrus and fruit would be nice.

Taste hits me with a nice dose of hop bitterness as well as a little more of a sweet malt backbone than I would have expected.

Mouthfeel leaves me wanting more. A little thin and I can't help comparing it to the creamier and fuller Celebration. Quite drinkable - it will be no problem having a few of these.

I liked this beer quite a bit and will no doubt be drinking it regularly. However, again I can't help thinking I would rather they make Celebration available year round.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Nice crisp, clear, auburn color. Not much head, but what was there left nice spidery lacing.

A: A little more malty than what I was expecting. Nice cascade hop aroma, lemon, and grapefruit.

T: The first sip was just out of the fridge and nothing to write home about. But as the beer warms, the hops start to come out. I get nice citrus, grass, and orange peel. The crystal malt gives this one nice balance.

M: Smooth, medium body. very little carbonation, but leaves a bitter sting at the back end.

D: Nice. I like this beer, not world class by any means, but a good offering. 7.2% is just about right, but this is not on par with some of the great IPA's of the world. Skal.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

This one poured out a crisp, clear brownish red, with hints of orange around the edges where the light penetrated most. Thin head with very good, intricate lacing.

The smell is mainly of orange and other citrus, but there is also some light dough profile from the malt in the back.

The taste is primarily the malty dough flavor for me. There is a definite hop bitterness, and they compliment each other nicely. The hop bite is definite, but a little short.

Mouthfeel is good, medium body but very easy to move around. Leaves a bit of a spicy tingle in the mouth and throat.

This one had a 5 on drinkability before I took multiple more sips, and it ended up at a 4 because of the slight heavy profile of the malt.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a medium amber, bright copper color with a dense, rocky off-white head. Beautiful tracing covers the side of the glass; clarity is excellent. Aromas are extremely herbaceous and spicy with black pepper and orange dominating followed by some spicy alcohol. A real citrus zing is not to be found in this beer. On the palate, the first thing that hits me is the huge mouthfeel for an IPA. It is extremely full bodied and has a solid malty background. The hops, however, just aren't as huge as I'd like them to be. It's plenty bitter, but the presence and flavor is really lacking; nowhere near as good as Celebration. Worth a shot, and is well priced, but I'd like the see the afformentioned produced year-round over this one.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, 7.2% ABV. Very clear copper color. Great white rocky head. A few tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Great head retention and lace.

Big juicy grapefruit nose. A soft pine note seems to follow. Lots of hop aroma, along with some faint caramel.

Good malt character, followed by lots of juicy hops. Not as dry as some of the other SN beers, which makes this one stand out for me. Fruity, citrusy, with a piney edge. Still, well balanced.

Medium body, alcohol hidden very well. Very easy to drink. Very enjoyable.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

served from a 12oz. bottle into a 2009 Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet

Pours a see-through shade of iced tea with a one-finger sized head. The creamy, eggshell head takes forever to dissipate, and leaves some admirably sticky lacing.

Not much going on in the aroma department. Its more earthy than I expected, some piny astringent notes. Overall its kiind of like SNPA, surprisingly.

Whatever the torpedo device does, it sure can harness the power of hops. This is a damn bitter IPA. I love bitterness, but I think that the astringency is actually masking some of the hop flavors. I'm not getting nearly the amount of citrus flavor that I was expecting from this beer. The initial sips seem pretty balanced; there is a developed bready malt taste after the swallow. As it warms, I can make out the light touches of mango. The mango reminds me of Bell's Hopslam, only Torpedo is nowhere near the fruit-storm that Hopslam is. I can taste the alcohol. Malt flavors start to become less distinct as the bitterness builds up on the back of the tongue.

I'm a fan of the mouthfeel. Its easy to swish around and swallow, but retains some incremental degree of heft (not a thickness, but not what you'd call thin, either). If I could taste the alcohol a little bit less, then this would be a tremendously drinkable IPA. I do enjoy the drying aspect of the finish.

At the price point, this makes for a nice choice to spend an evening with. It isn't close to my favorite IPA, in fact I'd say that it didn't live up to my expectations. Its no Celebration Ale. What it is, however, is a darn drinkable beer for being a bitterness-bomb.

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

What can I sa? Another fine brew by Sierra Nvada.
This beer is a very good IPA that has alot going or it.

the nose is that of lemon, pine, and other citrus flavors one expects to find in a west coast IPA but they are subtle.

the appearance is a little cloudy with some deeper copper hues in it.

the mouthfeel is a real easy drinking ipa that has a little hoppiness .
This reminds me alot of the southern star PA

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a transparent amber with a nice creamy head. Aroma is clearly a blend of floral, citric and earthy hops. More earthy than most west coast IPAs. Quite pleasant. Taste follows the nose. Hops are tasty. Bready, biscuity. Citrus is surprisingly absent. Light, creamy, oily and astringent. A nice IPA, but nothing memorable. A moderate dissapointment given the hype behind this brew. It's really much closer to an IPA rather than a IIPA. Still, a very nice IPA, but the style is just tough to thrive in with all the competition.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out golden amber with a very nice white head that lasts all the way down. Very nice lacing. Smell is very floral and sweet. It's like a warning this is gonna be a hop monster. Taste is very floral as well, from those american hops. The bitterness is above a reagular IPA, but not quite a Imperial. This is definatly a very nice year round IPA.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Crystal clear light amber. One-finger white head falls quickly but doesn't quite disappear. PHENOMENAL lacing.

S: Hoppy, with a good balance between floral and citrusy aromas.

T: Hops are again the focus, but there's a little sweetness for balance - more than the usual AIPA. The hop flavors are floral with some spicy/resinous aftertaste and little of the citrus from the aroma.

M: Maybe a little too much carbonation, but that helps to balance out the relatively heavy finish. Just a hint of alcohol warmth.

D: Very well balanced, especially for being at the high end of the style. Good to see something other than the C-hops dominating in a Sierra Nevada product.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A great looking IPA with its characteristic gold/orange hues and translucence. Lots of clinging lace.

For all of the dry-hopping advertised, the smell is too weak. C hops are certainly there, but not in full force (what i'd prefer).

The taste is distinctively bitter, much more so than most IPAs i've had. Caramel maltiness is also there. The admirably strong bitterness unfortunately masks many of the citrus notes that I love about IPAs.

Mouthfeel is VERY DRY. Alcohol could be hidden better as well.

Directly out of the fridge this is not easy to drink. The only sensations that come through are bitterness and dryness. However, as it warms, more hop character appears.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Poured with a thick tan head that never quite went away, leaving a lot being for me on the glass.

S - Smells like a Sierra Nevada beer, but better (insert your adjective here).

T - This is, on first taste, my new favorite IPA. Hoppy, pleasantly bitter with just enough behind it to not be overwhelmed by the hops.

M - Slick and medium bodied in the mouth, again with enough substance to make this a better beer than some of the super hoppy beers out there that are very light bodied.

D - Very easy drinking, I could certainly see a night full of these with no side effects other than a lighter wallet.

In all, this is my new favorite IPA and the SN beer I've been looking for. Pale Ale is not enough for me, and the seasonals always too much to drink more than a couple. This beer I could drink all day and night long.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It pours a clear copper with a massive rocky white head. The head stuck around and left plenty of lacing. The aroma is heavy on pine. The beer is pleasantly bitter, pine being the dominant flavor. The finish is lingering and slightly bitter. Torpedo's has a medium body and a sticky mouthfeel. The beer is easy drinking and I am suprised to see the 7.2 abv. Overall a very solid IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A-Large tan head, ok retention, tops a nicely clarified dark amber brew.

S-Earthy and herbal hops with a slight spice. Toasted malt aromas mingle.

T-Bright earthy hop with a slight citrus that continues on into the finish. Nutty, toasty, bready malts under the bright hop flavors, balanced by an assertive bitterness. Overall, the balance tips toward the hops, perhaps a bit too much, as the beer finishes with an unpleasant over-hoppy bitter pucker.

M-Moderately carbonated, appropriately medium-bodied.

D-Pretty drinkable beer. I enjoyed this tasty brew, yet there's something about it that places it below remarkable. Still, it's good.

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Thanks to BA yelterdow for the hook up on this one.

Served from a 12oz bottle in a SABL glass at just above fridge temperature.

A - Standard Sierra Nevada crystal clear amber-orange with a nice, 1-inch thick off-white head that hangs out for a good minute or two before diminishing to a bubbly film on top of the surface. Lacing comes in sticky, translucent sheets.

S - Big, honey-malt laden west coast hops. More piney than citrusy. Fresh and crisp, with a verdant moistness. Nothing too revolutionary about this nose.

T - Subdued honey-laced malts that fall short of being sweet before the alpha-acid army comes blasting through in the middle and then loiters on the smoldering, twisted and burnt nubs of your taste buds all the way through the grippingly drying swallow. The aftertaste is forcefully astringent; very powdery and green. Like chewing on an aged grapefruit rind. Balance can only be viewed as a hop brick residing on a broken see-saw.

M - Nicely tingling on the tongue, and puffing up to become mouth-filling and frothy. Swallow is creamy and satisfying when the taste isn't factored in.

D - No matter what I do, and no matter what "it's all about the hops" frame of mind I get into that helps me try and cope, I can't get past the rough aftertaste that makes my throat feel like closing up. Once the first swallow goes down, the wicked aftertaste dominates almost every other aspect of this beer from the nose onward. Tasty? Yes, if you're looking for a hop bomb. Balanced? No. Will I be buying this beer for myself? No. There are just too many other APAs out there that are truly enjoyable.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz. bottle. Fresh batch--just arrived on Wednesday 2-25-09.

A: Pours reddish-gold-orange with a vanilla bean white head that builds into two inches before receding quickly down to an 1/8th of an inch. Some lacing, but nothing serious. If I spin the liquid, it clings for a few seconds before sliding.

S: More malt than hops, which is a bit strange for an "Extra IPA." Beyond the dusty, sweet malt notes--a touch of honey--are varying degrees of citrus, mainly orange, some lemon. If you inhale deeply--and I mean very deeply--you'll find tropical fruit and a touch of pepper.

M: Lighter body with strangely assertive carbonation. A prickling sensation.

T: Sweet melon-like malt sweetness before the hops completely extinguish any trace of malt. Quickly bitter, but not much else. No citrus, barely sweet, just a flash of hop bitterness that remains on the on the back of the tongue--yes, I know, that's where bitterness is sensed--in a displeasing manner.

D: A serious plus to this beer is its drinkability. For a 7%+ beer, this is very drinkable.

Comment: Very affordable, but for a few extra bucks you can get your hands on a better made beer. I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it either.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

A - pours a slightly murky copper color with 1/2 inch of foam on top that left some lacing

S - strong amazing pine and grapefruit hop aroma. very nice!

T - nice strong hop flavor throughout, not harsh, but just enough bite to make it right

M/D - man, this one could be one that I go back to often, just have to be careful with the 7%

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Single 12 oz bottle from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Pours a quintessential amber color with white head and good lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like HOPS! Super fresh smelling hops with sweet citrus and slight pine scent.

T: Very earthy, fresh, hop taste with slightly more of a bitter piney taste than sweet hops. Very tasty indeed, but I do prefer sweet hop flavors more.

M: Smooth and full bodied for sure. Great mouthfeel for this style of beer.

D: Amazingly drinkable. Not much alcohol picked up. Easy to down. Solid good flavor. Definitely a great value!

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A:Very clear copper color with a half finger of head. Excellent lacing.

S: A decent hop nose. A little bit piney. Quite a bit of sweetness in there as well.

T: A decent enough hop taste. Very bitter in the finish. In the middle it kind of gives out a bit too much to the malt and ends up a little bit on the sweet side. UPDATE Got a great bottle. Tons of raw hop taste.

M: Medium body with a touch of sticky.

D: This is the worst bottle I had in the 6 pack and it was still decent. For the price this is a great buy. Less than $7 for an IPA in this day in age is something. While not the best by far I must give it points for being reasonably priced.

Upon further review this is now my session beer. It simply cannot be beaten for the price.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.