2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,240 | Reviews: 2,495 | Show All Ratings:
CardiacNP

Louisiana

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA. 7.2%abv. A nicely balanced IPA. A nice light Amber color with a white foamy head. Nice aroma....not overly floral . Nice citrus/mildly piney bitter finish. I seem to be on an IPA kick this week . The alcohol volume is nicely hidden... It can sneak up on you . My palate has matured

02-20-2014 02:20:47 | More by CardiacNP
BeerHo

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice golden copper color with fantastic clarity!

Nice citrus bouquet comprised mainly of grapefruit, orange and kiwi. I little too floral for my liking almost perfumey. The ABV is very prevalent too.

The taste is loaded with crisp, clean hops with prevalent grapefruit & kiwi on the palate with lingering bitterness & sourness!

This is a very good hoppy IPA that could benefit from a little more malt to balance it and give it more structure that could make it an outstanding world class beer! This would improve the mouthfeel too!

Overall a good drinkable IPA but not for newbie hopheads or those endeavoring to be.

02-19-2014 20:05:37 | More by BeerHo
buhanan

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

This is a very drinkable strong beer. If you are not a fan of hops, skip it. On the other hand, if you are a hops enthusiast this is a good one. The smell and taste are both a little fruity and the taste is a lovely shade of bitterness. If I could make beer from a variety of citrus fruit, principally grapefruit, this is what I would get.

02-18-2014 20:44:39 | More by buhanan
Leviathan5

Austria

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker glass

A - Hazy orange/copper color with a massive off-white head. Nice long lasting lacing

S - Fresh and citrusy. Grapefruit and orange are predominant. Not really much of a presence from malt and/or yeast

T - It is meant to be bitter and bitter it is. Hops are what this beer is about, but they are well balanced. Dry and hoppy finish that remains in mouth

M - Medium/full body and medium carbonatation. Silky smooth on tongue and palate

O - An amazing beer. From its appearance to the texture in mouth to the hops in smell and taste everything is great. I couldn't recommend it enough

02-17-2014 13:03:50 | More by Leviathan5
ThePaintedGrey

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pub glass.

A: An absolutely gorgeous aged-copper color with a slight haze. An absolute behemoth of a head as a result of a fairly aggressive pour. The head is about two full inches in stature, sporting the color and texture of a homemade vanilla milkshake. Phenomenal amounts of lacing down the glass. Pure, unadulterated aesthetic perfection for the style.

S: Floral hops with trademark grapefruit notes. A bit of Earthy pine meshes well to give it a very rustic aroma profile. Some peppery alcohol spice underneath. Well-executed simplicity is very pleasant and satisfying.

T: Some floral and herbal hops with a lot of grapefruit notes and citric zest. Those pine and grassy notes seep through to give this one an amazingly Earthy character. A tiny bit of peppery spice underneath with some bready malts. Lots of hop bitterness overall, but does well to straddle the line between bitter and pungent. Near flawlessly executed.

M: Medium-full bodied. Silky smooth and wonderfully creamy with a well-controlled carbonation that adds a tiny bit of bite, but doesn't get in the way of the smooth textures or tingle the tongue enough to shroud the flavors. Superb drinkability.

O: Sierra Nevada has put themselves in the running for my favorite American IPA. This is an absolutely perfect example of the style and is near-perfection in a bottle. I usually do in-depth conclusions, but I think I'll leave it at that. Damn near flawless. Tells all other AIPAs to step their game up.

02-16-2014 19:54:34 | More by ThePaintedGrey
y2jrock60

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Deep hazy orange with a two finger thick head that last till the last sip. The lacing on this beer is amazing.

S- Very piney and slightly grassy upfront followed by citrus notes, orange and grapefruit.

T- Resiny, grassy, and piney flavors which mellow into citrus reminiscent of its aroma. A little malt comes through after the hops subside, but it's definitely a hop forward IPA.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- Overall, a solid IPA at an extremely reasonable price.

02-16-2014 19:25:24 | More by y2jrock60
CesarGesundheit

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

When I first tried this beer I thought it was awful because of its syrupy mouthfeel. I bought a six pack of this beer so I was reluctant to try another.

On the second attempt, I poured it a bit rougher and got a better head. The mouth feel wasn't as syrupy and I must say that I liked it a lot better the second time around.

I definitely recommend this beer to those that are used to IPA's.

Overall I would rate this beer a 3.5/5

02-14-2014 16:04:07 | More by CesarGesundheit
mcrow24

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served at ~45 degrees from bottle poured into clean glass.

A: Orangish/Copper nice head and long lasting lacing and very clear.

S: Underwhelming aroma. Not a bad aroma, just not easy to pick up. Most prominent aroma is the pine aroma of the hops. There is a slight citrus scent to the beer most likely from the citra hops used.

T: Taste is intially hit with the aromas of citrus and pine but soon subsides into a bitter punch that falls away to a nice pine and grapefruit finish that last long. Good finish on this brew.

M: Medium to light-medium bodied. Smooth, likely due to magnum and crystal hops. Aftertaste leave astringency in the mouth, perhaps just a little more than I like.

Overall:

Good, solid IPA with a nice bitter punch, citrus and pine aromas and flavors but yet smooth and very drinkable.

02-14-2014 14:23:47 | More by mcrow24
Bone53

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After religiously reading BA reviews over the last several years, this is my first review, and what's better than starting with the beer that launched me into the world of craft!?

Served from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Orange and clear with a one finger off white head.

Smell: Nice and citrusy. Orange, grapefruit, floral notes. A hint of pine.

Taste: Bitter, citrus grapefruit, pine. Similar to the nose

Mouthfeel: Medium with appropriate bitterness.

Overall: A great brew and a good example of an American IPA, especially in the West Coast style. However, I've come a long way since I first had this beer and prefer other examples in the style. This is still a great go to at a very reasonable price! 4.25

02-11-2014 05:59:49 | More by Bone53
alexrichman

Oregon

3.39/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a pint can into glassware, pours a rusty orange with a nice fluffy head that's just a bit off white. Nice lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell is a bit muted, a little bit of carmel from the malt but mostly citrusy tangerine aroma from the hops.

On the tongue the malt takes a bit more presence, the carmel is still present but hints of dark fruits and burnt biscuits are faintly detectable. The hops also make themselves known, mostly imparting pithy citrus as well as pine. A fair amount of sweetness that is perhaps overbalanced by the pithy qualities of the hops.

A nice beer on the tongue, quite thick and nicely carbonated. Easily drinkable and does a good job at hiding its high alcohol content.

Overall a solid IIPA that is decently drinkable but does little to excite due to its lack of complexity.

Serving type: can

02-10-2014 01:51:42 | More by alexrichman
Thomaas

Oklahoma

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured an off white two finger head into a frosted Stella glass. Nice aged copper color. Smells strong with fresh hops, light grass and citrus. Tastes are powerful and carbonation feels light and bubbly in a slightly heavy mouth feel. Very bitter and creamy at the same time. The malts are blended perfectly! Very balanced. I just love the way this beer feels and tastes. Very hoppy mixed with rich flavor. Makes my mouth salivate!
I've been trying many IPA's and XX IPA's over the last couple months looking to find the perfect one. This is the hands down winner in my book. Celebration is a top 5 beer for me also. Boulavard, Redhook have some good IPA's too. However Sierra Nevada is still the tops in my book. They just know what I like... CHEERS!

02-09-2014 02:56:31 | More by Thomaas
tallerich

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a spiderman pint glass. The head on this one was about an inch which is a lot considering my pouring style. It turned to air and beer quickly. Very earthy hops flavor with the perfect carbonation. This one was a gem in my book. Very comparable to their Celabration ale for 2013, but more hoppy. This beer will find its way to me again since I only got to enjoy half of a bottle. My 2 year old son felt the need to dip his stuffed crocodile's snout into my spiderman glass until it saturated like a sponge. After which the crocodile thanked my son repeatedly for allowing him to soak up such delicious nectar. I was not as happy as the croc since I did not know where the croc's mouth has been.

02-08-2014 00:34:20 | More by tallerich
BierJager89

4.16/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark orange/copper color with an off-white head.

S: Orange is the dominant scent in the nose, along with some grass, lemon and grapefruit peel.

T: Bitter, a bit grassy, lemon, orange, citrus rind, maybe some grapefruit.

M: Medium bodied, somewhat harsh on the carbonation. Perhaps a stronger pour was called for.

O: I don't have the greatest quality notes for this beer, but I remember it being very good. Definitely worth a try, and very available.

02-04-2014 23:44:10 | More by BierJager89
Copernicus

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured 22oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

What gorgeous color! It radiates a warm and somewhat fiery amber, like the color of honey with golden and copper highlights. Substantial clarity and a pleasant rocky head clocking in at a finger and a half in a luscious khaki-stained white. The lace was moderately sticky.

The aroma rivals the color. It releases obvious American hop characteristics with a weightless and biting citrusy tinge of mostly grapefruit and pine. Beneath this lies a supportive grassy and floral sweetness that moves into a meatier malt character that smells more of orange, tangerine, and pineapple than grain or caramel. Everything here elicits cool early summer nights.

The taste is excellent, but somewhat predictable after the aroma that lends itself to the initial sip, a cool and light quaff of grapefruit, pine, grass, and flowers. Though this is quickly severed by an intense hop bitterness. What little malt characteristic there is works behind the scenes simply to balance out the aggressive hops. As the bitterness dissipates, it all dovetails into that pleasant, distinctive Sierra Nevada finish.

The mouthfeel is good. It's medium body slips and slides with a mild and pleasant effervescence from the subtle carbonation.

Honestly, this beer is explosively fresh and one of the most drinkable IPAs out there. And at 7.2%, you could get yourself into some hefty trouble with this one. I could drink this aaallll day long.

*I'd risk an unconventional food pairing here: seared scallops with tangy grapefruit pan sauce. Of course the standard spicy and aromatic cuisine would be great too...like Thai, Indian, or Moroccan.

02-04-2014 15:48:19 | More by Copernicus
57md

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a hazy light copper with a finger of good head that enjoyed some lengthy retention. The nose is quite hoppy with more than a hint of pine. This beer is very well balanced, but that does not mean it lacks in the hop department. It is also very drinkable – dare I say almost sessionable given its 7.2% ABV.

Serving type: can

02-04-2014 05:01:52 | More by 57md
lochef81

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My first Sierra Nevada sampling and its a good one. Pours a clear copper amber color with a half inch long lasting cream colored head. The nose on this is all hops. Lots of pine and citrus even a little grass. From the smell this almost seems like a double more than just a standard ipa. The flavor follows suit with a ton of pine upfront (almost gin like) followed by a lasting citrus flavor. Not alot of malt in this one but still very well balanced and enjoyable. This is definitely and ipa that you could sit and drink a number of and not get tired of. Excellent work sierra nevada.

02-03-2014 18:52:12 | More by lochef81
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance
Honey/ Amber color with medium lacing
Smell
Smells strong of hops and you can sense the bitterness coming off the beer. Pine as well, a lot of pine, like a forest punched you in the face. A bit flowery and citrusy as well.
Taste
Medium mouthfeel, powerful flavor and bitterness, slightly malty, flowery and grapefruit notes at the finish. Lingers for a long time
Overall
This beer has a lot of character but to me, even though I’m not stranger to the IPA and very bitter beers, this one seems like a little bit of a chore to drink. Maybe I need to re-visit it but when I want a good IPA, others come to mind.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

02-03-2014 17:46:22 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
ChiChi

Maryland

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is amazing. First off, the strong bitter hops take over the tongue and you can't wait for the next sip. Consistency is a bit heavy, I wouldn't recommend this beer to quench your thirst on a hot day. Its more of a fall and winter beer for me, personally.

When poured the head is thick and remains throughout the beer, lines the glass nicely throughout your experience. Color is a pretty reddish-amber.

Tart smell do to the extra citrus flavor the hops provide- Yum!

02-02-2014 18:36:48 | More by ChiChi
Diggitydustin

West Virginia

4.16/5  rDev 0%

I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. Great color, smell, and taste. I'd recommend it to anyone who can handle a bitter beer. I bought a 12 pack of bottles my first time having it, and honestly I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but once I opened the bottle and caught a whiff i knew I was going to love it. One of my favorites in recent memories. Also, in my opinion, it's great cold, however, I think it tastes a little better after letting it get just a tad warm. Enjoy.

01-28-2014 23:05:34 | More by Diggitydustin
WunderLlama

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass

Great foamy head with exceptional lacings as the beer settles. Translucent honey amber with some carbonation.

Explosive of fresh, clean crisp pine with citrus. Hint of sweetness.

Pine hops smoothly flow over your tongue. A well crafted beer. Gentle bitterness on the first taste. Bitterness resides in the middle and back of the tongue. It's not a sharp bitter, but, a more flavorful tasting of the hops. Really like this beer, worthy of a repeat and stocking in the fridge.

01-22-2014 03:54:48 | More by WunderLlama
CrystalGregory

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a very crisp, clean, and refreshing taste. The hoppy flavor smells and tastes so good to me, especially after a long day. You can smell it immediately after you pour it. It has a beautiful amber color, No bad after-taste. Very easy to drink. It leaves a nice lacing behind on the glass. I could drink this by itself (preferably), or with a meal. I love the taste so much I even use this beer in some of my cooking. Delicious

01-17-2014 17:00:24 | More by CrystalGregory
Teresa911

Arizona

This is the worst MF beer I have ever tasted.
This is probably what camel piss tastes like.
If you like this beer, there is definitely something wrong with you.
I used this beer in cooking and it's the worst I have EVER encountered.
Yeah, that's it. This beer needs an encounter in outer space and hope it never comes back.

01-17-2014 00:21:36 | More by Teresa911
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best beer for the buck. Beautiful amber color, great head retention. Nice sticky lacing. Smell is outstanding. Almost instantaneously I get a kick in the face of hop aroma ask I crack the bottle open. I get pine, citrus, flowers,- a field of hops in my nose. I can also smell malt, I dont know how they accomplished that, but its there and its great. Mouthfeel is great, not too thin, not too thick, although for the ABV I would almost expect it to be thicker. Everything about this beer is awesome, its easy drinking, alcohol is non existent in the taste. Its well balanced for an "extra" IPA, the malt really shines and I love that about it. Sierra Nevada out did themselves with this one. My go-to brew for sure. I love this beer.

01-16-2014 23:56:31 | More by Jay_Ulreich
nreynoso90

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Definitely our go-to beer after a long day of work or school to finish off the day. Always served in a snifter very cold. Very piney, hoppy flavor with a crispy finish. overall caramel color and pleasantly bitter. Sierra Nevada did a great job on this one.

01-15-2014 06:14:20 | More by nreynoso90
Party_P33_Hole

4.7/5  rDev +13%

This is my 24/7 beer in the fridge. LOVE IT! Good straight out of the brown bottle. I find myself trying other IPA's and liking them, but not loving them like this beautiful beer. It is with me whenever I need it and I think it loves me too. Cheers to all!

01-10-2014 23:15:42 | More by Party_P33_Hole
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.