Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,724 | Hads: 10,008
4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pour deep amber beer with a white foam head. Smells hoppy and sweet. Citrusy and herbal. Taste is fresh, bitter and lightly sweet. Feels medium body with low carbonation. Overall very good IPA. (193 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Golden amber with huge lingering fluffy head
Smell: Big grapefuit-like citrus notes and some floral soapy notes.
Taste: lightly sweet maltiness but mostly dry bitter resiny soapy citrus hops. Alcohol flavor is noticeable.
Feel: light to medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: It had been a while since I last had the Torpedo. I was hoping I might come back to it with a more positive opinion, as happened with Bell's Two Hearted (now a favorite), but I think my impression remains mostly unchanged. First the positive - it looks great, smells delicious and I like the fairly dry maltiness (too many oversweet IPAs out there). However the flavors associated with the hops just don't get me very excited, particularly the soapiness. Also, it has a pretty high ABV, which to me should imply more depth of flavor. In any case, I find the Torpedo enjoyable - it just doesn't live up to the hype in my view. I will say, however, that the Celebration Ale remains one of my very favorite beers.

Update 4/26/2015 - A subsequent tasting led me to soften my view of the Torpedo. For whatever reason the things that didn’t sit right with me the first time didn’t stand out as much this time. It seemed a bit maltier this time as well. Generally the hop character isn't as attractive as my favorites, but it's a good standby that is widely available. (1,364 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this here is sheer delight in a bottle, for most anyone who loves IPAs.

I recently rewarded the friend who got me hooked on IPAs by introducing him to this.
he took a couple of sips and announced, "thanks, man, for showing my new favorite IPA". (245 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nothing else to say but great beer! Color is incredible. Smell is mild citrus, mild pine. Taste is completely balanced throught. Not too hoppy but it's there running along side the malts the whole time! Could be an every dayer in the fridge especially with the price point! Perfect for this weather break here in NY today! (322 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a classic. I've had it in several states and several situations but it never disappoints. Time for a review.

Look: Looks like an IPA; classic deep amber color, nice slightly off-white head, and great carbonation. Absolutely beautiful in the glass, especially when the sun shines through it leaving rays of dancing amber light like flames on the table.

Smell: Full on piney hops, strong peach, and mango with caramely malts.

Taste: Again, classic IPA taste. The bitterness is piney and resilient. Timeless, if you will. The malt body provides a solid beat like John Bonham and John Paul Jones working together.

Feel: Full body with just the right amount of coating. There is mild astringency on the back of the tongue.

Overall: The classic and perfect IPA. I'd like to call it a starter IPA but I've seen people run screaming after one sip back to their light beer. More for me, I guess. And there will be more because this one is the Coca-Cola of IPAs. (968 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rust colored. Small, tan head. Alcohol comes through a bit more as it warms but a wonderful malt, hop balance with some pine,citrus, and grapefruit in the aroma. Great Extra IPA. A little more than a regular IPA but not a DIPA as the label says. Great beer. (257 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This blurs the line between IPA and DIPA beautifully. The fact that most anyone can get this wonderfully consistent IPA means that anyone can enjoy it. (151 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

Had a great dark gold color. Smelled like hops with some citrus. Tasted great, overall the main thing you will taste is hops. But not as strong as I was hoping for. But overall it was very nice. Mouthfeel was also great. Bubbly and smooth. Overall a great beer! While I was hoping for it to be a tad stronger in the hop department, it tasted great and somewhat unique. (369 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a nice American IPA, much better than the original SN Pale Ale. It has a very nice flavor at a very nice price. Also a nice 7.2% ABV. A nice natural citrus flavor with a nice piney aftertaste,good smelling. Beautiful in appearance (a nice shiney,dark gold color) 1 finger foamy head with a nice thin lacing. A must try if you haven't had this one. One guy that rated this IPA on this very site said it tastes like ol' Mary Jane. But truth be told, after 2 or 3 it kinda does (in a good way)!!! (501 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear, light amber/golden brown in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Smells mild citrusy, a bit piney, bready, very dull in smell complexity overall.
T: First sip I notice some bitter, dry hops and then it fades to some slight malty sweetness. It's hard to distinguish the exact flavors as it seems to mesh all together. Perhaps a hint of grapefruit aftertaste.
M: Dry, medium bodied beer, medium carbonation. Hops prick tongue, but not excessively.
O: So far this is the best SN beer i've had. It's super refreshing and well balanced between it's hop profile with a nice slightly sweet/malty finish. (608 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So different than the typical west coast IPA. So much more balanced. Not the typical grapefruit flavors of most IPA's. Initially sweet & malt forward with a little bitterness at the end. If there were any criticism it would be that this could be a little too sweet. But overall solid and a go to IPA. Easy to drink. I give Sierra Nevada credit for having their own style and not just following the trend of overly bitter and unbalanced IPA's. (442 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle

Pours a golden light brown body with a fluffy 1 inch off white head. Moderate lacing.

I smell fresh bread, oranges,some pine. Reminds me a little of Portuguese sweet bread.

A lot of bitter hops in the beginning and the finish, but in between there is a slightly sweet malt taste

A dry feel

This is a complex hop dominated IPA . There's a dry bitterness that grows on me.
Love the 7.20 ABV !! (412 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: nice translucent darker golden/ light amber color. Some visible carbonation. 1.5 finger white fluffy head. Nice lacing

Aroma: grapefruit. Orange, lemon and some pine

Taste. Same as aroma. Balanced with a little bit of malt. Nice bitterness not too sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied . Lingering bright carbonation.

Iverall: consitenrly delicous beer (364 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tons of pine and citrus. A little more carbonation than I typically prefer. Wouldn't go to the store looking for this but not a bad brew for the price or if options are limited. (177 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%

Dark gold pour and foamy white head. Grass and pine notes. Herbal hops balanced with semi sweet malt base. Bitter finish. Medium lite mouthfeel with hoppy tongue coating. I think I like the Hoppy Camp a little more! (215 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look- dark golden color, nice pour,nice foamy head
Smell- got a little crisp hoppy smell
Taste- nice hoopy taste. Not bitter. Just the right touch of hops with a floral aftertaste
Feel-really smooth beer
Overall- a great ipa. Definitely one of my favorites
If you haven't had a torpedo ipa your missing out. (309 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In my imperial pint glass at cellar temperature. How have I not reviewed this yet?

Torpedo has a nice two centimeters or so of off-white foam for a head and a vibrant, deep sunset orange color.

It smells of fresh bread, honey, sweet lemon and orange, and herbal pine.

The flavor is a beautifully balanced ride, starting with tangy citrus, moving to sweet white bread and marmalade, and ending with a fairly dry finish of biscuity malts, citrus rind, and resinous pine. Lingering dank and bitter hops tease my palate for another sip.

I'm fond of the feel. Pretty well-carbonated but not too prickly, and ever so slightly sticky.

Kind of a classic IPA. Substantially hoppy and bitter, but with other balancing attributes as well. (733 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a 345ml bottle.
Appearance: good Amber colour and slightly off white head 1.5 cm that lingers well.
Aroma: good citrus and pine aroma overall but not nearly as intense as expected given this is an extra IPA with unique dry hopping technique provided by the Torpedo and the fact that whole cones are used. To that extent is was a bit disappointing compared to plenty of Aussie IPAs I have tested. Perhaps I had a batch close to expiry or not so fresh and some aroma freshness has gone.
Flavour: some citrus notes on the front palate and good strong hop bitterness on the finish. Enjoying the extra bite with higher alcohol content. Mouthfeel was very good with smooth and slightly creamy finish.
Overall: I was really looking forward to trying the
Is beer as I love a good IPA and I love the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so much that I was expecting to be blown away. I was not however. The beer is very good I'm flavour but just missed on aroma overall. (955 characters)

4.11/5  rDev 0%

Awesome head and copper color. Tasty, citrus and sweet flavors. Really nice hops. All IPA fans should at least give it a try. I think you'll like it as much as I do. (165 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oooonly downside for me is that there is a noticeable BO funk to the smell (could just be me), but taste and feel of the beer is great... And the amber color is beautiful with very little sediment. I would drink this any day! :) (228 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pint can (packaged in Chico, Dec. 29, 2014) poured into pint glass.

Clear, light copper with large, stiff, off-white head and sticky lacing.

Big floral and ctirus aroma with some biscuit malt.

Taste is citrus rind, melon, lemon, pine, and roses with mild sweet malt backbone. Dry finish with citrus rind bitterness.

Medium body and carbonation and mild ethanol warmth.

Balance is more hop forward than malt and drier and crisper than many IPAs. The complex hop aroma and flavor make this a very interesting beer. Very drinkable. (537 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Honestly, as an IPA guy and as a mixologist, I think torpedo is best used as mixing as a 50/50 with other ipas such as legacy, dirt wolf, snake dog, etc...trust me you'll love it. Just play around with your own favorite ipas. To drink this straight up, I'm not a fan, but to mix it with other ipas, it's awesome! Cheers.... (324 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a very good beer. Taste wonderful. Feels great and refreshing. I am a drinker and when I get a little extra dough I get some of this or maybe they bring me one thanks a lot for the beer really great. (207 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a dark amber with lots of carbonation. A sticky 1 finger head of white foam rests on top. I can smell this beer as I'm pouring it. Nose is hops, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and oranges. Medium-light body on this one, which is just about perfect for an IPA or DIPA, in my opinion. This beer is a hop bomb on the palate, but it's amazing. Quite bitter with loads of citrus. I also get some notes of grapefruit, spice, and banana. Decent malt on the finish.

Torpedo is one of the beers that helped get me interested in craft beer, and it's still awesome. Very well balanced, and loaded with flavor and character. (653 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Darker amber color. Has a reddish tint. S - No real piney smell to it. Kind of smells like a Lager mixed with an IPA. T - Goes with the smell and has a lager/IPA mix taste. F - Has a heavier feel that darker IPAs have. Overall = Eh. Not one of my favorites. (268 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.