Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros

sbanacho, May 26, 2012

carnold350, May 26, 2012

daisygirl, May 26, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Ok, the appearance had a nice fluffy head and some schticky lacing. I got a good wiff of this beer and I wasn't sure I was in the right place. I was expecting a hop explosion on the nose but didn't get one. Torpedo is a solid English-style IPA in my book. The hop finish this beer left me with was the taste and smell I wanted but I only got a hint of it on the finish. Good balance but not as Cali-style as I wanted from a Sierra Nevada beer.

TSJ4000, May 25, 2012

beernads, May 25, 2012

Hopmodium, May 25, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle Poured into a glass

A - Copper & Amber with plenty of visible carbonation. A small head as it was poured from the bottle. Head is an off white color.

S - Oh yea. Now that is what an Extra IPA should smell like. Lots of hops... Citrus Zest.. Pine.

T - Hits hard with the hops. Bitter, even at the tip of the tongue.

M - Excellent. Very full. Sticky and chewy the longer it is swirled in the mouth.

O - Somewhat surprisingly, a very excellent Extra IPA from a large craft brewer. This will be one of my go-tos when I am looking for a little extra umph on the Hopps. I'd like to try this on tap.

rhultstrand, May 25, 2012

Mermaidhunter, May 24, 2012

ryansuttles, May 24, 2012

JPWestCoastIPA, May 24, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -20%

*I bought this (from the shelf) as part of my Mix-A-Six for $1.89 in a 16oz can. When I got it home, it was in the fridge for maybe 2 hours and in the freezer for about 15 minutes. It was probably close to around 50-55 deg F. My review may be off since the beer was not real cold.*

A- Cooper with an extremely soapy head. Very effervescent, with bubbles racing to the top of the class.

S- Floral and citrus hops. A good deal of caramel-type malt in the nose as well. A nice balance between hops and malts!

T- Sharply bitter! The thing that is detected right away is the citrus/grapefruit notes. The initial sip is very pungent on the palate! The finish is of floral type hops. What bothers me (and I like IPAs) is the finish is just so bitter and lingers in your mouth. There is a really awesome caramel maltiness that comes out, but it doesn't balance much of the bitterness from the hops. The beer has tons of flavor, but nothing that wows me.

M- Medium. I didn't think that this beer sat too heavy or was in any way watery. Easy enough to drink

*This beer is slightly above average to me overall, even for an IPA. I just think the bitterness is too one dimensional and not well rounded enough for any other flavors to be detected. I say this is a slightly above average beer because as the Torpedo Extra IPA has an immense amount of flavor, it's very lopsided to me in terms of it's flavor profile. I would try this again only if it were ice-cold.

ThomasMetal75, May 24, 2012

Swervine44, May 22, 2012

toolg, May 22, 2012

hopnerd, May 22, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Golden honey appearance, slightly hazy, mostly clear.
S: Malty sweet and piney.
T: Spicy, piney, slight sweetness, and citrus hop.
M: Medium to Medium High tingly carbonation, medium body.
O: Awesome beer, good for end of night consumption to help take nice nap.

trifecta, May 22, 2012
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.