Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
PhageLab

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Clear reddish coloration with a deep orange hue. Large fluffy head with good retention and some nice, thick lacing.

S - Big floral hop aroma with something else behind it, sweet, reminds me of caramel.

T - Big hop bite. Mostly flowery. Bitter as an IPA can be, and I like it.

M - Crisp and clean feel, with a mildly dry finish. A bit of the bitterness lingers on the palate. Carbonation was mild.

D - Very very enjoyable. Excellent IPA, especially at the price point. I'm definitely going to have to get another sixer. Reco for sure.

01-09-2011 17:37:10 | More by PhageLab
prdstmnky

Vermont

Bottled on date: 12/2/10

I haven't had a Torpedo in a while, so figured I would grab one in a mixed 6er. Pours with a very clear, light copper body and a finger of light tan head leaving lots of sticky lacing on my pint glass. Not the most aromatic IPA, but still pick up plenty of piney / grapefruit hops in the nose. Citrus hops upfront in the taste is balanced out with a malt balance in the middle, eventually giving way to an herbal / piney bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, dry, and maybe a slightly below average level of carbonation for the style.

A nice IPA, I still think I like Celebration a bit more but I'll never complain about some fresh Torpedo's in my fridge.

01-09-2011 04:42:46 | More by prdstmnky
Erish

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed from notes. I poured this bottle into a large wine glass.

A: honey color, orange-white head falls quickly, decent cap and good lacing.

S: orange, grapefruit, grass, pine, and a healthy dose of sweet malt.

T: loads of citrus up front, grassy/floral/citrus hops in the middle, the long finish is bitingly bitter with plenty of grass and pine. Like many super-hopped IPAs, I think this one would have shown better when it was fresh enough to still spank!

M: medium bodied, creamy to oily, moderate to light carbonation, finish is mineral-like.

D: a very tasty IPA, and one I would love to try fresh on tap.

01-09-2011 02:44:08 | More by Erish
Bogforce

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

A: A Middle brown honey color, with a 1 finger head. Pour it about a minute ago and its going away quick.

S: Hops, has that Sierra Nevada smell I guess. Hops.

T: A deep hops flavor from front to back, get a hint of the citrus in the from and pine at the end.

M: Leaves my mouth feeling dry, but goes down good.

D: Probably wouldn't buy this all the time but it's a pretty good beer

01-08-2011 02:28:57 | More by Bogforce
rembrant

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Well,most everyone has had Torpdo and his older brother SNPA so I'll keep this basic

Shows some lace and film,moderate head, Light brown a little darker than SNPA

Smells...Hops. A bit more citric than SNPA with a little more hint of malt in the nose.

Flavor More early sweetness and caramel in the start,more backbone than SNPA. Has that SNPA pinecone but with a grapefruit and tangerine citrus too. Basically,a solid IPA though no bitterness champ. The balance is good yet this has that crisp refreshing brighness like SNPA or Celebration thee's a subtle complexity if you chew a mouthfull,and that's often not in some IPA's.

This is not radically unlike a lot of good IPA's yet it earned it's status as a classic.
Mouth is about right for the tipe. Wet,but with some body and sparkle.

Drinkable,Of course,Sierra knows drinkable. It's wide availability and good price make it drinkable when those factors matter...and sometimes they matter a lot.

ABV is more than SNPA,so if you have a keg party there's some limit to hw many glasses you'd quaff without incident.
For 7%+,however,this is as sessionish as they get.

01-07-2011 06:12:58 | More by rembrant
tburus

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Transparent caramel-colored liquid with a moderate amount of swift moving carbonation. Foamy, two-fingered, off-white head that slowly bubbled down.

Smell: Strong grapefruit aroma with a hint of pine underneath. Very refreshing!

Taste: Hint of the fruitiness found in the smell when it first hits the tongue, followed by a large (but not overpowering) hoppy bitterness. Carbonation borders on too much, though it's presence seems to wash away the hoppy bitterness before it becomes disgusting, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness on the tongue, but there is a lingering presence of grapefruit and yeast/malt (?) as well.

Drinkability: As IPA's go, I find this one to be very drinkable. The hopped up element is not overpowering, which makes it accessible to those who prefer stouts or sweeter beers, and the ABV and price are very reasonable. Most IPA's are a once-in-a-while drink to me, but I can see making Torpedo more of a regular in my cabinet.

Drinkability:

01-07-2011 04:48:00 | More by tburus
Lucklys

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

I left the beer out a few minutes before I poured it to keep it from any potential chill haze, and because I'm trying to warm up (see what I did there?) to the whole drinking beer at a more "professional" temperature rather than straight from the icy depths of my ridiculously well-insulated fridge. I have found that drinking a cool beer versus a cold beer really makes a difference in everything from which aromas are stronger in the nose to which flavors are more obvious on my tongue and even to how the mouthfeel is affected. It's very interesting scientific stuff, so I'll just stick to the basics.

Poured into my nonick (I can't help but read that as "no neck," which makes no sense) it glowed a sweet potato/pumpkin pie orange with brown sugar shadows. The liquid was mostly clear with a faint bit of a slow, translucent haze that was suspended just above the bottom of the glass to just below the soapy head. Oh the head, let's talk about it for a minute: gorgeously fluffy and a creamy pearl color that looked just divine floating above the amber liquid, much like a heaping dollop of home-made whipped cream sitting atop a fresh-from-the-oven pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving is only 10 months away folks, can't be too prepared! When I first poured it, the foam reached a good 5-finger thickness before gradually melting into 3 and holding with fantastic retention for a long while before fading into thick patches of sticky lacing that left the glass dirty. It's like a love poem of lace.

The nose was a lot lighter than I initially anticipated, as with many IPAs it's pretty obvious what you're smelling right from the first whiff, but with the Torpedo, it was way more mild and didn't threaten to burn my nose with bitterness. Grapefruit rind and lemon zest were at the front line, closely followed by an odd creamy tangerine, which I definitely wasn't sure of. There were plenty of herbal hops, including some faint pine needles, but an obvious light crystal malt kept the whole encounter sweet and even added a welcome touch of caramel to the scent.

Finally in my mouth after furious note-taking, I was genuinely surprised by the first flavor to hit my tongue. Lightly toasted malts strolled across my taste buds with grapefruit pith on one arm, herbal piney notes on the other, and a light lemon zest trailing closely behind. It's still a little hard for me to believe that the malts were so prevalent and the hops hardly held a bitter knife to my mouth. Carrying a medium body with nice, rounded carbonation made it creamier and heavier than it appeared, but I would much rather have a beer that holds some weight than have one that's watery and thin. There was a short lingering hoppy bitterness and light caramel sweetness right at the end, but the bitter throughout the beer was actually relatively mellow, making it really easy to drink. I would probably recommend this IPA to someone who's not sure if they like IPAs or not and needs something to ease them into it. It was a very good beer, one that I will most likely pick up in the future as a filler for a day I'm not reviewing or if I'm out and want something simple to start the evening.

01-06-2011 00:41:29 | More by Lucklys
guinnessnyc

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

While I'd had it before, I grabbed it again this week to revisit Sierra's bigger IPA and it really is an impressive brew.

Poured directly into a SA Perfect Pint Glass resulting in a healthy head. Nice nose with a nice round aroma of floral hops. The taste wasn't overly bitter, but still present enough to have the bite I'm expecting in a big American IPA. The aftertaste was awfully clean for the style and it left me wanting another. Drinks really well...

I'll be grabbing six packs of this again and again through the winter to ensure there's always a few stragglers hanging somewher in my fridge. Nice work Sierra!

cheers
BC

01-05-2011 01:14:33 | More by guinnessnyc
hopshopshops

4.95/5  rDev +19%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat.

01-04-2011 21:10:24 | More by hopshopshops
albertjr21

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Into a pint glass, here's a clear and bright amber color under a frothy, well sustained head and an impressive lacing that follows.

S: An appetizing floral bouquet of pine and citrus bursting with a sugary undertone.

M/T: A mellow malt and lightly bitter upfront welcome snaps into a juicy, robust hop garden center before ending with a dry resinous pine hop flavored finish. This displays a well rounded feel on the palate throughout.

D: This paired very well with a sweet sausage and hot pepper grinder. Even on its own though, I'd call Torpedo the perfect treat for a hophead's evening.

01-04-2011 03:26:29 | More by albertjr21
guitarsnbeer

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

this beer pours a lovely light caramel hue with a nice 2 finger head.

smells and tastes very piney with a little malty sweetness to follow.

medium mouthfeel, and at 7.2 abv the alcohal is hidden quite well but will catch up eventually.

overall this is a great bargin that i will purchase time to time for a tasty strong IPA. cheers

01-02-2011 02:24:59 | More by guitarsnbeer
jc85

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12oz into a pint glass.

Appearance- Nice amber color that has about a finger of semi thick head. Retention is minimal.

Smell- The smell isnt very pungent. Some pine, orange and other citrus comes through.

Taste- Nice hoppy flavor, good citrus comes through more on the tongue than on the smell.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, and the sting of alcohol is definitly felt.

Drinkability- The drinkability on this beer is pretty good. You could relax and throw back a few of these before even realizing. Not my favorite IPA but not bad.

01-02-2011 00:27:43 | More by jc85
IPAIPA

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Very tasty "extra" IPA. Pours nice and has a decent aroma at pour. Quality beer for the $ and has developed into my staple "bargain" every time I hit the store. Body and taste is better than Sierra Nevada's Celebration. Could be a bit more hopped but I will not complain. Color, body and aroma are all good. Finish could be bittered just slightly as this does not linger on the pallet long enough for my taste. Over all, a quality beer for the $. Props to Sierra for putting out another fine product.

12-31-2010 19:47:04 | More by IPAIPA
pittpens

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle

Smells of citrus fruits, pine and hops. Pours a very nice, golden color that produces a good head and great lacing on the glass. Taste is great, of citrus fruits, pine and finishes off with the hop bitterness. Overall, an exceptional example of the American IPA. I can most definitely enjoy torpedo's in a session and would recommend this IPA to anyone.

This beer can prove to be a little thick/bitter and thus inhibits (though minimally) the drinkability in sessions.

12-30-2010 04:47:41 | More by pittpens
wojoparkcity

Utah

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Chilled to appx 40 degrees and poured into a chilled pint glass.

Great Aroma... very citrisy, zesty, a lot of pine and grapefruit to it. TONS of hops. If you are a lover of hoppy IPAs, take a good long whiff of this and you will be in heaven.

Taste: Big, Bold IPA. Hops all over the mouth and pallett. Nice hoppy bite at the end.

Sierra Nevada in mine are rulers of the IPA. Their Homegrown IPAs are a tad better due to the organic nature and hand holding, but for a year round offering, this in my mind is the best Big IPA out there.

12-28-2010 16:36:06 | More by wojoparkcity
sacrelicio

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This is definitely one of my favorite IPAs. So complex, herbal, citrus, tropical, grapefruity, lemony, limey, green and wonderful. The aroma is a tropical storm and the taste is bitter yet smooth. Amazing IPA, and only 7.99 a sixer. So glad they finally have a year round IPA, and a great one at that.

12-28-2010 07:38:05 | More by sacrelicio
mbusster88

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into perfect pint glass.

A: Orange color with fluffy off white head. Great carbonation on this and a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Huge pine notes and great citrus in the background. Very strong hop presence that lets you know this beer is for real.

T/M: Great pine flavors and citrus right away. The hop balance is really good, not to drying but very powerful none the less. Wonderful fresh hop flavors make the taste even more inviting.

D: Could drink this all day regardless of time of year. Just a great IPA.

12-28-2010 02:57:59 | More by mbusster88
fsimcox

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

I found this in the back of the frig, and noticed I had not reviewed this one.

Pours a nice amber color, a little cloudy. White foamy head that stays firm for some time. Some nice lacing.

Smells of hops, citrus, and pine. Hints of grapefruit, a crisp scent, very refreshing.

Taste is hops and orange citrus. Smooth when it hits the lips, with hops and citrus in the middle, a bitter dry grapefruit finish. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, with some carbonation in the finish.

A great IPA, very drinkable, but be careful of the abv.

12-27-2010 22:44:32 | More by fsimcox
AllFineThings

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light orange to dark yellow mix with a one inch head that lingers with good lacing throughout.

Smells like citrusy pine notes.

Tastes like citrus with some hops, although not a lot.

Smooth mouthfeel that is an easy drinker and not over-priced at all.

12-26-2010 23:01:19 | More by AllFineThings
mtnbikerpa

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. A moderate head that quickly faded leaving a very sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Strong scents of sweet hops, the scent almost makes my mouth yearn for the first taste. Very robust flavors of tangy pine, a strong citrus profile along with a small malt and nutty profile. Mouthfeel is less oily than I expected. Very tasty, alcohol is well balanced. This beer is pairing well with homemade meatballs, pasta, and homemade bread.

12-25-2010 13:53:22 | More by mtnbikerpa
chefhatt

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer has a nice cloudy golden color to it with a nice 2 inch white head that hangs around for a while. The smell is very much of fresh hops and some pine. The taste is very dominate of fresh hops and has a nice bitterness to the beer. It has a great mouth feel, the bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue and is very drinkable.

12-24-2010 05:23:53 | More by chefhatt
Radome

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Cloudy, deep golden color. Off white head is thick, creamy, and long-lasting and leaves lots of lacing.

S - Great fresh, piney hop aroma. There is lots of grapefruit as well. No malt or alcohol can break through the blanket of hops aroma.

T - The taste is dominated by sharp hops bitterness and flavor, but there is some malt sweetness in mid-palate that balances. Alcohol is not evident.

M - The body is medium to thick. There is an astringent feel from all the hops bitterness, but there's enough mouth coating sensation from the malt to offset it.

D - The thick mouthfeel hurts the drinkability some. Overall, this is a very good fresh-hop IPA, but it does not have enough malt and alcohol character to make me think of a Double or Imperial IPA. Maybe that's why the label says "Extra IPA." This is a bit too one-sided for me to consider it one of the greats.

12-24-2010 04:18:28 | More by Radome
JayS2629

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Beautiful polished bronze with a nice creamy thick head that slowly recedes. Nice retention that leaves nice creamy walls of lace.

S- Citrus, sappy pine, funky musty notes, and sweet malt.

T- Sweeter than expected. Citrus and pine shine through. Funk in background with caramel swirls throughout.

M- Nice tang in the front, refreshing and light

D- Very easy to drink, but the bitter stays on the tounge. Very well balanced for its style.

12-24-2010 03:10:24 | More by JayS2629
laituegonflable

Australia

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a burnished golden colour with very light haze. Head is lovely but modest-ish, dense and cratered on top. Bead is very slow, but steady, and lace is pretty wonderful. That's a nice-looking beer. Not mind-blowing, but the 'little beer that could'.

Nose is a bit weak. Need to really whiff to get anything off that. Hints of royal funk with cardboard and metallic characters, some honey sweetness and a hint of fresh berries and underripe granny smith. Decent, really could use more though, it's just a bit lacking.

Taste is far more IPA-esque. Quite rich with bitterness prevailing throughout palate. Quite funky at times with oaky notes and a musty forest kind of character. Some rusty metallic notes and a hit of nuttiness, but more nutshell than the flesh itself. Leaves very dry with a nice silky touch to the texture overall. The main issue is that there's no profile, it's kind of flat and needs more peaks and troughs. Find it a bit dull, and it really does leave very dry.

A bit bland yet very bitter. Not terrible but I couldn't see myself downing a lot of these.

12-23-2010 01:32:17 | More by laituegonflable
JohnScav

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a very nice copper color with a two-finger width off-white head. Once settled, head retention is good, leaving a thin creamy layer on top. Good lacing.

S-Crisp, citrusy

T-After my first sip I was shocked at the initial maltiness...in a good way. The bitter hops cuts through quickly. Notes of citrus, maybe grapefruit, sweetness.

M-Smooth, medium body. The frothy head is very creamy.

D- Very Drinkable. The hops bitterness is still lingering on my tongue so I wouldn't move between different beers or styles. It might mess up the other flavors.

12-21-2010 03:49:55 | More by JohnScav
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.