Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

A - nice rich amber color. Looks very inviting. Good light creamy head with a good amount of lacing. I gave the look a 5 because when I see the beer in a glass I can think of nothing else but how much I want to drink it!

S - smell is a nice balance of hops, pine, and citrus. The smell isn't as powerful as I thought it would. Has the classic Sierra nevada smell but with a little backbone to it.

T - the first rung to hit the taste buds is the citrus and pine, and followed up with the bitter hops. The malt keeps the hops from betting too bitter. The great thing about this beer is it has enough hops for the IPA lover, like myself, and enough balanced malts to keep non IPA drinkers reaching for a 12er or 6 pack, or even a bomber...that's another great thing about it. You can get the beer year round in whatever amount you prefer.

M- all Sierra Nevada beers have a more heavy/chewy mouth feel. When I preferred the lighter beers the Sierra Naveda beers were a little chewy for me. However, as my palate changed the mouth became a little less heavy. Medium among of carbonation which I prefer, not a big carbonation guy.

O- one of my favorite IPAs. It fits nicely between the standard IPA and the double IPA. You can't taste the booze and goes down smooth. Great balance of hops and malt, but heavier on the hops side for a great IPA. Priced well, good ABV, and easily available...thanks Sierra Nevada!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a Shiner pint from a 12 oz. bottle and the beer exhibits just a touch of chill haze (I must admit that I keep my drinking beer at about 36 degrees, so this may not have been present at 50 - 55 degrees) and the color is a straw yellow with a 2 finger off white head. Nice whispy lacing on the glass.

The aroma is per description with the aromatic citrusy piney hops coming forward atop the amber malts.

The flavor follows the nose with a definate citrus/pine hop flavoring character, but the bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness of the malt in check. Very well balanced in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is slightly higher than medium and the carbination is lower than medium and the hop feel hangs around for a bit.

In my lowly opinion, this is a great IPA and probably the best bang for your buck of any of the IPA's that I have tryed to this point.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle into an Imperial British Pint glass.

I originally found this beer at the local Albertson's (a chain supermarket) a couple of years ago and I had never seen it before, even though Sierra Nevada beers have been a staple of mine for 10+ years. I was pleasantly surprised by the boldness of the hops, usually you dont find beer with this much hop character in a mass chain supermarket.

This beer has become one of my favorites when I am looking for something with a little edge to it, and by 'edge' I mean hops... anyway, ON TO THE REVIEW ;)

Appearance: Caramel color, slighty opaque, 1cm head on pour which easily reforms with agitation, head consists of nice tight bubbles which almost give it a nitro appearance. Head will hold 1-2mm for duration of drinking

Smell: Piney, resin, with some malt sweetness with agitation

Taste: Hoppy bitterness jumps on the tongue with first taste, carbonation "pops" on tongue for a "bright" taste

Mouthfeel: Hops grab the tongue and do not let go without a fight!

Overall: A classic American IPA with a very bold hoppiness. Mid range ABV at 7.2%

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Look: 4.5
Soap-sudsy head that rises quite quickly with a semi-aggressive pour. Darker than a hophead's IPA. The skepticism sets in. Even so, one can't deny that this brew is gorgeous. Fresh viscous caramel when penetrated with light. Lacing's big. As I said: Sudsy.

Smell: 4.0
Initial burst of citrus, but I soon realize this isn't the star of the show. Bitter hop strains. Semi-malty backbone. I smell more alcohol than 7.2% would lead me to believe. Undoubtedly fresh...this thing wet-hopped? I need to know more about the apparatus that is this beer's namesake.

Taste: 4.0
Mimics the nose. Slightly better. Wish I could give it a 4.25 here. Fruity initially, followed by lip-puckering bitterness. Medicinal, but the type of elixir I'd like to be prescribed to for the duration of my days.

Feel: 4.0
Smoother than your run-of-the-mill IPA. Seems slightly less carbonated, and more concerned with the integrity of its ingredients than the number of its bubbles. A very well-built, enjoyable product as it slides down thy gullet.

Overall: 4.5
Considering the freshness, availability, and, most importantly at this point in my life, price of this beer, it's pretty darn unbeatable for a hophead like me.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Honey-colored pour with a fat sticky three-finger head that leaves tons of lacing as you drink it down.

Pretty much all hops in the nose... pine, grapefruit and herbs. Smells like the freshest, lushest forest you've ever been in!

Taste follows the nose, but with a decent malt backbone to balance it out some. Hops is definitely the featured player here, but it's not all hops.

Nice mouthfeel, slick and oily with some chewiness.

I'm not generally a hophead, and it's only four or five times a year I get in the mood for a hop-centric brew, but this is very good! The fact that it's mass produced, sold at a great price, and available almost everywhere makes it pretty amazing.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice mahogony, generous nearly caramel head. Good hop presence, warm pine, citrus, bitter finish, crisp, balanced perfectly, so fresh it's almost minty, grapefruit sour after. A perfect example of it's style. Easily drinkable, not too bitter, not lacking anything

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a Stella Chalice from a bottle dated 11/29/11

A: Deep orange amber color with a foamy cream colored head that receded kind of quick. Lots of lacing, and few cm of head retention.

S: Strong citrus and pine hop aroma, and quite a bit of sugary sweet sticky malt. More malt than you might expect. The citrus aroma is very heavy on the rind more than the fruit itself. Smells a little too sweet for me.

T: Bittering hops hit right from the start; lots of grapefruit and pine, hints of floral. The sugary malt picks up with a very solid body, but doesn't quite match up to the hop bitterness. Finishes dry and bitter with lasting hop flavor. The lingering hop flavor reminds me of green bell peppers.

M: Solid medium body with just enough carbonation. Almost sticky at times, and a dry bitter finish.

O: Very tasty and enjoyable. I keep forgetting this isn't an imperial, which I'd say is a plus. Although not extraordinary, this is a really good beer, and warrants a try from most IPA lovers.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.