Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Lerxst

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A-Nice amber color. Nice two finger head.

S-Citrus, pine, hops

T-Nice hop bite. Citrus notes are present.

M-Medium body, nice carbonation level-not too much or too little.

D-Couldn't session this one, but one is easily done.

05-21-2009 19:05:40 | More by Lerxst
ThickestHead

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a chilled standard pint glass. The color is a bright copper with a lovely foamy head that lingers. The smell is a mix of pine and citrus, very floral. The taste is a nice initial blast of hops but the shift to the caramel tasting malt just doesn't strike me well and it seems to accentuate the high alcohol content. I can appreciate their effort to make it a balanced beer, it's by no means horrible. The mouthfeel in general is fine, lively. I wouldn't want to drink a sixer of this in one sitting but throwing one or two into the rotation would be very satisfying.

05-20-2009 15:17:14 | More by ThickestHead
barnzy78

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz. 2nd time having this 'Extra IPA' - first time was blindly tasted. Pours a bright orange with a nice foamy, creamy off-white head that leaves great lacing that sticks to the glass. Aromas are floral hops, citrus rind - mainly grapefruit, and pine. Initial taste is a sweet malty, biscuity backbone that is quickly taken over by the hops - grapefruit rind, and the bitterness is mild to start. Hop characteristics build though - more bitter, piny, dry, and acidic with each sip. Mouthfeel is juicy and oily - especially toward the bottom of the glass as the hop oils have coated the palate completely by now. Alcohol is well concealed throughout - not even the least bit noticeable. This is a solid American IPA, but as far as representing the style it's almost in a style of its own with its complexity and brewing techniques - close to an Imperial IPA. Price is outstanding - $6.99 for 6 - you can't beat it for a high quality brew like this!

05-19-2009 23:09:06 | More by barnzy78
quinlin

Oklahoma

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A - pours a deep honey amber. Thick almost latte like head that lingers to the bottom of the glass.

S - floral, citrus, loads of pine. Sweet malty background.

T - taste mimicks the smell. Right up front sharp hop bitter with a malts that hang around the finish.

M - high amount of mouth tingling carbonation. Medium/full body

D - Nice, drinkable IPA. Went great with the steak sandwich i had.

05-19-2009 21:47:15 | More by quinlin
beeragent

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a deep gold, forming a massive two fingers of off-white head. Medium spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - The aroma consists entirely of hops, but does not have as strong of an aroma as I expected.

T - The palate is dominated and coated with a citrusy hop flavor, and then gives way to a noticeable malt backbone, only again to have the hops dominate in the finish.

M - Medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. The taste remains on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Very full flavor. Aside from the higher ABV, I could easily see having a few of these. Maybe not as great as it was hyped up to be, but still a good beer from Sierra Nevada.

D -

05-19-2009 21:15:41 | More by beeragent
natelocc787

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours golden amber with a caramel colored head.

The nose is very perfumy and spritzy. Herbal and floral notes are dominant with a lot of pine and hops.

This beer got better as it warmed to room temperature. Piney, hoppy, and grassy. Taste has a crisp bite to it like putting your nose in a fresh bag of cascades. Small citrus character.

Not as assertive as I'd hoped and lacking compared to many other high ranked examples of this style. This is what i would imagine a dry-hopped/hoppier SN Pale Ale would taste like.

05-18-2009 18:12:25 | More by natelocc787
AVDeuph

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

My first sampling of this beer. In fact, sadly I have not had too much Sierra Nevada, despite the availability.

A: A very enticing semi-opaque and vibrant orange that is darkened slightly by woody brown undertones.

S: Aroma is not as hop-encompassing or complex as I suspected it might be, but perhaps my serving is a little cold (in fact I know it is).

T: Different story. Lots and lots of hops. Floral and citrus hops completely dominate the mouth (got to be a ton of Cascade, maybe Centennial in this). Very bitter in the back.

M: Crisp and tightly carbonated, though not incredibly bubbly. Hop oils slowly coat as you drink.

D: Very good, and very drinkable. Perhaps the sharp bitterness keeps this beer from being sessionable. Alcohol is incredibly well-masked.

I really enjoyed this beer. A wonderful example of the style that I will definitely seek out again.

05-18-2009 02:33:39 | More by AVDeuph
SirDrinxAlot

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pored a clear, light amber with a big fluffy 2 finger head that left a foamy lacing

Big pine scent with citrus and hops.

Taste matched the smell with a lingering bitter hop bite.

Mouthfeel was highly carbonated with a medium body. A hoppy, bitter IPA.

05-17-2009 01:03:57 | More by SirDrinxAlot
Tetano

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

First Review so bare with me:

Poured into my Stella Artois goblet, little to no head with thin lacing. It displayed a deep amber color akin to finely polished amber gems housing a prehistoric insect.

Smells of pine and citrus with a hint of that familiar grain smell of all beers.

I am immediately hit with the bitterness of the hops but it is lacking the typical citrus after taste I am use to with other beers in the same class.

Mouthfeel is thin and does not linger on the palette although the sting of the bitterness stays with you, which I happen to like.

Overall I like it, though I prefer others in the same style which have a strong citrus aftertaste that match the smell better. Like previous posters states its availability, price, and drink ability make it a win for me and would certainly pick up a sixer of this to share with my friends.

05-16-2009 15:59:26 | More by Tetano
troutmask96

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Another solid offering in Sierra Nevada's ubiquitous line of craft brews. Pours a pretty orange-mahogany with a tan, foamy head. I smell alcohol, hops, and citrus. Taste is somewhat citrusy, too, with a lingering bitterness. I've had better IPA's, but since this one can be found at every grocery and convenience store in my area, I'll surely crack my share of them this summer...

05-16-2009 01:10:12 | More by troutmask96
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

Pours a nice deep amber with a head that looks like it was scooped up fresh from the base of Niagara Falls. The lacing reminds me of the middle of a game of Space Invaders, but one where the space invaders win.

The nose is pure pine with some fruity undertones but it could be stronger.

At first blush I'm puzzled by the taste. It's there but almost not there. Strong and yet weak.

Now that I think about it I guess with the promise of an "Extra" IPA I was bracing my taste buds for impact and they were ducking for cover on the first sip. But it wasn't the over-the-top hop bomb I was expecting.

Anyway, now that I'm past that it's actually a really nice, finely balanced, bold and juicy tasting IPA. Like--you guessed it--grapefruit juice, specifically. The malts are of caramel and biscuit. The hops are piney and herbal and in good balance, and while it's definitely bitter, it's actually somewhat restrained for an IPA. Which is fine by me because this is a delicious beer. It lacks some degree of depth or complexity but, really, that just serves to make it highly drinkable for times when you just want to session an IPA while watching a ball game, say.

Medium bodied and almost creamy mouthfeel and a nice clean finish.

05-14-2009 00:20:19 | More by MeisterBurger
jdflyer06

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Copper to deep amber, crystal clear with a rich thick head that makes it through almost half of the experience

S: A good amount of piney, hop character with some light citrus and pepper notes. I'm actually pretty excited by this point

T: Ugh. What happened to all of that hop goodness that was just in my nasal cavity? Heavy malt presence followed up by what comes across as unripe grapefruit and then an awful boozy finish. The alcohol presence in this one is less than subtle.

M: Thin, heavily carbonated and peppery on the tongue. The alcohol resonates in the back of the throat.

Overall, I was extremely dissapointed in this beer. I was expecting something more along the lines of an imperial/double IPA but should have paid closer attention to the ABV. It's thin, overly carbonated but on the plus side it goes with just about anything and you could easily down six of these in a sitting if you're not careful just because of the overall clean finish. However, I won't seek this out again.

05-12-2009 22:35:11 | More by jdflyer06
JimmieFrisbee

Rhode Island

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz. bottle.

Hard pour gets a beautiful head to rise up, just a little more than two fingers worth of off-white frothiness. Beer is a clear copper color. Little bubbles rise to the top in single-file lines. Nice lacing the whole time, as well.

Smells phenomenal. A bouquet of citrus hops, with a little bit of floral and maybe piney for good measure. The citrus is really what is coming through for me. My favorite!

Taste is right on for the smell. Right on for what I want in an IPA. The hops are all there, all in harmony with one another, and there's a good malt backbone behind it, imparting just a hint of sweetness. So nicely balanced, just a little bit of bitter and the rest is flavor.

Good, full mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated. I could probably go on drinking these all night, but probably would get a little bit of taste bud fatigue after the third. Wouldn't stop me from reaching for another one, though. The alcohol would probably catch me a buzz after just a couple, but it certainly weighs in a little lower than some comparable IPAs, which is nice.

Easily to find, not outrageously priced, and absolutely delicious, this beer has a place in my fridge or at any gathering I'm attending. Because it's not overly bitter, might be a good introduction to the style for people who would like the type of IPAs I like.

05-12-2009 21:45:35 | More by JimmieFrisbee
Dotcubed

Arkansas

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I found it to be sold out in at my go to store, but since I saw the last six pack in a store in Chicago I had to get it.

Pours very foamy. Nice large foam. Honey colored.

Hoppy smell. Has lots of IPA smell.

Bright hop with some long lasting grapefruit. Sweetness backs it but really firmly on the bitter end. Hints of Guava or green Mango fruit. I want to call it balanced...

The problem is that the bitterness isn't something that goes away. It could be that it's so fresh it hasn't toned down much.

On it's own it's bitterness makes it challenging for my pallet.
That's the only drinkability detriment.
There's no doubt that this is ripe for spicy polynesian food. Don't go buffalo wings, class it up.

05-12-2009 03:54:51 | More by Dotcubed
BrianOhio

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

The pour produces a nice 1" head which dissipates somewhat quickly. The color is deep golden.

Nice hit of hops to the nose, which made me very optimistic right out of the gate. Initially delicious, but after a few seconds the finish gets even more bitter than I expected from a DIPA. Overall I'm struggling with my opinion of this beer. The price is right for a DIPA and I will probably buy another six to continue my evaluation, but as of now I give it a somewhat hesitant thumbs up.

05-12-2009 03:13:56 | More by BrianOhio
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

350ml bottle bought from Tuckers Maltings...

Poured a nice golden coppery orange colour. Creamy head with orange tinges poured quite thick then faded quickly to light ring around the edge. Light carbonation... light lacing lines...

Aroma - Spicy juicy fruits (apricots, limes, oranges), piney / grassy hops, some caramel sweetness, biscuity maltes, perfumey, some light almond nuttiness, toasted bread...

Taste - Quite sharp spicy, piney / floral hop bitterness, toasty / biscuity maltiness, light honey / caramel sweetness, good fruitiness (oranges and limes), buttery notes, light medicinal hints, perfumey, sea salt traces, some metallic hints...

M&D - Quite sharp initially then mellows out. Light / medium bodied... Very quaffable..

Overall - Another excellent brew from SN... definitely recommended..

05-11-2009 11:15:35 | More by mdagnew
cheapxceptbeer

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have been looking for this beer for some time, most places only have the pale ale and the seasonal so I am happy to be able to review it.

A- Copper colored ale with nice head and amazing retention/lacing.

S- Piney hops is the main thing in the nose, I don't notice much else, less than impressive smell in comparison to their harvest pale ale.

T- Wow, this is a delicious resinous, piney, and slightly citrusy beer. So well balanced that I may have a new favorite non-luxury (>10+ sixer) single ipa. The finish has an interesting mineral flavor.

M- Oily and creamy, this beer does have a great feel to it, medium to full bodied with a hardness to it.

D- Well the alcohol is a bit high, however this is not an ultra-heavy brew, definitely sessionable, yet not really the way I like to drink it as after two you don't taste the hops as well.

I wish this was available at more liquor stores around me, as great as finest kind ipa is, this is a very welcome change of pace. I know the east coast/west coast ipa debate will rage on, I love both and think they complement each other very well. I will get this when I find it.

05-11-2009 02:55:32 | More by cheapxceptbeer
daliandragon

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought a sixer of this last week and though I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I've neglected to review it until now, the final bottle. I had never heard of this until I saw it at the local Harris Teeter last week. I like my SN so of course I tried it and it lived up to my expectations though didn't exceed them by much.

The hue is a bright orange with a thick, bubbly tan head and citrus hop flavored nose. The head lasts at a half inch for quite a while and is pretty impressive. I expect excellent lace.

Bitter pine and citrus form the dominant flavors here. Unlike the recently reviewed Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop ale, this is unabashedly unbalanced. I'm sure there is malt in there, but I really don't taste it. The texture is thick with medium carbonation and a bit of alcohol burn in thew aftertaste.

This one is SN's salute to all the hop homies out there.

05-10-2009 04:35:51 | More by daliandragon
beveritt

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Label is classic Sierra Nevada, green this time, and the center picture depicts rows of hop plants in a field. 9 digit number printed on the label, but not clear on the brewed on date.

Appearance: Pours with 3 plus fingers of off white head. This settles somewhat, but still maintains a massive cap on the beer. As everything eventually settles, nice, puffy lacing remains. The beer itself is amber, trending towards red, with an ever so slight haze. No sediment in he bottle.

Smell: Dry hop aromas abound, grapefruit, citrus, and pine upfront against a semi sweet malt backdrop.

Taste: Bold and powerful hop flavors of pine and grapefruit, with an subtle, bubblegum like sweetness. Some hop bitterness in the finish, but the dry hops linger so long and so well, that it is still not the predominant flavor.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level, high enough to prevent this from being cloying. Body is good.

Drinkability: Another fine example of a higher ABV, dry hopped beer. Life is certainly good for all the hopheads out there right now.

05-10-2009 01:50:30 | More by beveritt
twelvsies

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

This is only the second time I've stumbled across a sixer of the Torpedo. Seems to be selling like hotcakes, or faster even, since I don't know where to get hotcakes. Anyway, the pour is a crystal clear light amber brew with a dense head and great lacing. So crisp and clear. The aroma and flavor are full of quintessential Sierra Nevada goodness. They've got a very distinct approach to the hop - citrus, pine, ripe fruit. Tastes very familiar, yet unique. Nice toasty caramel malt body to back this one up as well. Amazingly crisp and quenching. A great beer to always have in the fridge. I'll definitely pick it up anytime I see it.

05-09-2009 14:10:33 | More by twelvsies
brewbasterd

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

For a commercial-microbrewery I think the pale ale put out by Sierra Nevada is one of the best, which led me to believe this beer would follow suit, sad to say i was wrong.

The color is a red-copper, with a soft head that dissipates quickly. Floral hops dominate the nose with a hint of pine. It has a hoppy taste but not near what I expected, the maltiness rounds out the end of a flavor that leaves a lot to be desired. A light to medium mouth feel lets the flavor of this beer go away quickly.

Maybe I had my hopes set too high for this beer, or maybe its just not that great.

05-09-2009 03:19:18 | More by brewbasterd
peck95

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a shiny new penny with a good head and decent lacing.

aroma is citrus but fades rather quickly

taste is awesome big sharp but clean hop bite with a big malt following

feel is nearly perfect well carbonated with a good finish.
this is one of the better ipa's

05-09-2009 02:28:58 | More by peck95
GreenCard

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: pale copper, good clarity, huge layer of dense cream-colored foam with great head retention and eventually a rocky top, lots of lace on the glass

Aroma: spicy, citrusy, earthy, piney, perfumey, appley, malty (that's a lot of -y, but its complex hop aromatics are difficult to single out!)

Flavor: medium malt sweetness gets bowled over by a pithy hop bitterness and a grassy hop flavor; the bitterness is scrumptious and not overpowering; it is lip-smacking and damn tasty; finishes semisweet with caramelly malt and lush hops riding tandem in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, creamy carbonation, soft texture, slight astringency

SCRUMPTIOUS!

05-09-2009 00:04:17 | More by GreenCard
GPHarris

Alabama

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fluffy and bubbly tan head into a tulip glass. it was an aggressive pour and was about to explode about of the glass but didn't. the head really coated the glass and left thick lacing and sheeting throughout. the body was a clear bright amber color.
s - muted grapefruits and other citrus fruits.
t - piney, citrusy with spicy herbs.
m - very creamy and drank very clean for a sticky beer like this.
d - highly drinkable and de-lish.

05-08-2009 19:15:10 | More by GPHarris
NCBeernut

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Copper with a full fluffy sticky head, leaving plenty of lacing down the glass. Every type of hop aroma conceivable. Very floral and grassy with a little citrus. Fruity esters are plentiful. Heady cannabis. Sweet caramel and toffee malt is still able to pull through in full. Intensely spicy hops (crystal hops?) with some floral and citrus. Becoming sweeter through the middle, as the bitterness and sweetness battle it out. Long bitter finish. As the sweetness falls away, the intense bitterness of the finish and aftertaste is only for the true hop head.

Nicely balanced up to the finish, but in the end the hops take over. Hop heads rejoice.

05-08-2009 02:28:05 | More by NCBeernut
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.