Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This was possibly one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Drinking this has inspired me to plant a few magnum hop rhizomes in my backyard in a feeble attempt to clone. The aroma is absolutely breathtaking - compliments of the generous dry hopping. Strong citrus and pine. I poured my first beer in my kitchen, went into the bedroom for a few minutes, and could literally smell the hops in the air when I came back. Carbonation and head retention were just where they should be (when poured). Taste was strong, without being overpowering. Not one of those IPA's where you can smell the hops but barely taste them. Part of this is because Sierra Nevada uses whole cone hops instead of pellets or hop extract. Strong pine/citrus flavors, with a rounded malt profile, slightly bready. I've found that this beer lends itself well to being consumed directly from the bottle (sacrilegious in some circles - but allows you to approach the beer from a new perspective).

Next to Stone IPA it is quite likely my favorite beer (at the moment, I go through quite a bit of favorites over the course of a year).

blackwelma01, May 04, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Excited to drink this. Great presentation.

A- Very clear amber topped with a slightly yellowish froth. Bubbles rise one by one. Nice ordinary lacing.

S- Really smells like fresh hops. Magnum like. Malt gives a sweet rose water and maybe soft honey.

T- I like it. This is the first time I can really say a beer tastes biscuity. A bit like animal crackers. Now I recently read a thread on the forum with someone saying it was a biscuity mess and that Torpedo shouldn't taste this way but this is my first time trying it so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. Other than that, it's a pretty standard IPA with strong hop presence - piney with a grapefruit bitterness. Alcohol after-taste.

M- Medium carbonation, not very dry but gritting thanks to the hop oils. Medium bodied.

D- Very good. Quite bitter but balanced. A lively, everyday easy drinker.

I'm not going nuts for it but it's a damn good beer.
I'd introduce someone to IIPA with this.

Yoonisaykul, May 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into Stone IPA glass

A: wonderful copper color with good lace around that glass head is off white and poured a good head but it did not stick around that long.

S: Citrus and pine you can get some malts if you search for em but its hop centric

T: Taste is quite like the smell citrus and pine but not that bitter real enjoyable.

M: medium light body carbonation is quite light

D: 2 or 3 can go down easy

overall: its a classic IPA and I can see why its so popular.

JamisonM, May 02, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1%

In honor of my 47,349th Torpedo IPA quaffed, here is the review...

A - Pours brassy copper, with a decent head, minor lace.

S - Piney, dank, resiny hops. Good stuff.

T - Same as the nose. Woody, piney, cedary hops sit upon a rich but complementary malt backbone. This is a hell of an IPA for the grocery store.

M - Pretty substantial feel. Fairly dry, and with a long lingering finish.

D - I am a big fan. Sierra Nevada is almost always good.

ktrillionaire, May 01, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured a light brown color with a slight orange tint. Approx 3/4 in of off white head which quickly settled into a thin layer on top, but left a good deal of lacing down the backside of the glass

S: Lots of citrus, as well as some herb notes which remind me of chopped cilantro

T: Rather sweet and citrus-y at first, which is followed with the hops and more of the herbal and spice flavors. There is a bitterness at the end that creates a very good overall balance. As it sits and warms the hop profile comes out more and the citrus is muted.

M: Seems to be a high amount of carbonation which gives it a very full mouthfeel

D: A very well balanced beer with complex flavors that don't overwhelm.

chefkevlar, Apr 29, 2010

12oz bottle on the Winking Lizard beer tour 2010 - this was beer #39 for me!

So, I've heard a lot about this beer. I have avoided it though as I really have been dissapointed at how (IMO) all of Sierra's hoppy beers taste very much alike. But this was something that was at least a bit different and something I would have again!

Poured into my open glass, it's an orange color with a nice head that sticks around. Looks really good, and much brighter than expected.

Smell is subdued a touch. This new citra hop has some tropical hints, some pineapple and mango. But it's just not jumping out at me.

Taste is nice though. Toasty caramel malt provides a touch of sweetness while the dry hops give a citrus kick. Grapefruit and pine, touch of earthyness or spice too. Something different from SN - yay!

Mouthfeel is good. Adaquate carb and the body is actually really nice, just enough malt but not too heavy.

Drinkability was great, this went down well and had me ordering another quickly. Bottom line, I like Sierra mixing it up. This is a good step outside the norm for them!

jampics2, Apr 28, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Slight head, solid lace, deep orange, slight carbonation

S: I could smell it from two feet away, like an air freshener. Sweet, fruity scent that reminded me of a bouquet of flowers with a little pine toning it down. Impressive.

M: Raisin and bitter at the end. Foams up really well as the flavors expand. Jujyfruit sweet going out.

T: When I first had this from the bottle, I wasn't unhappy that I couldn't make it to my favorite microbrew. This made up for it in spades. So much going on, yet everything blending so well. Grapefruit at the beginning, tempered with a malt that steps in. Raisin is weaker, bitter juicy fruit, tempered. Bit of an alcoholic burn, but not strong.

D: Second sixer. This is Celebration, with more manners. Will drink lots.

Ricochet, Apr 27, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: a very rich coppery orange/brown. poured a very nice fluffy and creamy head that was off-white. lots of lacing on the glass.

S: right off the bat you get a huge nose full of hops and pine. good amount of slightly sweet citrus going on too.

T: the hops and pine come through again here very nicely and linger on the tongue. lots of citrusy hop flavor, that is balanced well with a smooth malt. there is also a good spice flavor that i didn't pick up as much in the smell. there is also a definite taste of alcohol coming though as well, due to the high ABV(7.2%).

M: great mouthfeel, perfectly carbonated in my opinion. its a perfect medium bodied feel.

D: while i love this IPA, i find myself only drinking two or three at a time. however, it is exactly what i was looking for when i bought this beer, a good, strong, IPA.

SLObeer, Apr 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I purchased a six pack of this excellent IPA at a local liquor store. There was not date on the bottle. The bottle had the following code: 9306113 34. Poured into a tulip glass. The beer had an initial temperature of 50° F.

A: Color: Amber/Orange, mostly clear with a slight haziness. Medium head about 3/4" high. The head breaks down to a thin lace after standing and almost completely disappears after 5 to 10 minutes.

S: Pineapple, grapefruit in front of caramel. Boozy too.

T: Grapefruit (sweet and bitter) with sweet dry finish - definitely tastes a bit boozy too.

M: Nicely carbonated - the bubbles release into a creaminess when rolled across the tongue. Medium bodied.

D: Delicious. The right balance of hop smell/bitterness and malt sweetness and I love the dry finish. This stuff is better than candy.

Conclusion: Just to let you know where I'm coming from - IPAs are my favorite beer style and I've tried a bunch. I won't rate a beer unless I've had it several times to ensure that I'm not catching one that was old or not properly stored.

This is one of my favorite beers along with Three Floyd's Alpha King (I don't care what they call it - its an IPA not an APA), Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. At a minimum, I give any of these a grade of A.

jakelamotta, Apr 24, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Urthel Tulip Glass

A:Rich, deep orange, very nice lacing on the glass.

S: A bit weak here, not much of a smell..bitter, a bit of citrus.

T: Awesome! Lots of citrus for an IPA, but just bitter enough to keep it interesting from the tip of the tongue to the aftertaste.

M: Bitter, just heavy enough to be interesting, not thin which is a huge plus. I'm a huge non-chill filtered scotch fan, the more bite on the tongue the better.

D: A bit strong, but easy to drink two or three of these without a problem.

This is probably my favorite go to IPA up there with Two-Hearted, Finest-Kind, and Hop Devil. There are huge differences, but probably my favorite of the bunch, especially at the price. A wonderful, complex, cost-effective IPA that I assume would be 3-4 dollars more from most breweries, thanks SN!

runfoodrun, Apr 24, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Light orangeish yellow color than can easily be seen through. Nice stream of carbonation occurring helping to make up the half of finger head. Sticky lacing clings to the walls of the glass in an impressive manner. Head of the beer still holding quite well.

S- Strong sense of citric fruits, most notably grape fruit and possibly some lemon as well. Bitter hop oils finish out this beer lingering on the nose for a couple of seconds after the initial smell.

T- Mild notes of citric fruit that is soon eclipsed by a lasting, but not overpowering bitterness. The bitterness fades and blends in with the smooth malt flavor. One of the more balanced I.P.A.s I have had.

M- Moderate amount of carbonation perfect for the beer. Body moves past a light crisp body into a medium bodied mouthfeel, a little heavier than some I.P.A.s

D- Smooth and refreshing. The balance of this beer makes this one go down easy and leaves me wanting another.

Lolli1315, Apr 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Copperish brown/amber, clear, huge head, super creamy and fluffy, just off white in color

S: Big juicy pine resin just like the label says, has that nice fruity sweetness too, makes it even more juicy, delicious smelling, but not quite perfect

T: Big notes of pine and resin on top, some nice malt helps add to that really full flavor, not quite as juicy as the aroma though, definitely more bite, very strong hops

M: Never really super dry, but definitely dry, has that kind of tacky feel, not heavy, but full

D: Good, powerful so its not a session beer, but nice

Notes: This was my first Torpedo. Overall it is a really nice IPA from SN. I like it better than the Pale Ale, but not quite as much as some of my other favorite IPAs like Two Hearted. The taste lacked a little of that deliciousness from the aroma.

dpodratsky3, Apr 22, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip--- served at room temperature

A-- Poured a near burnt orange color. Pretty aggressive pour that lead to a huge light brown head. Took a long time to finally get to a good structured one finger head. Lots of lacing on the sides of the glass and very thick at that. Medium to high carbonation and very good head retention when swirled.

S-- A lot of pine and Carmel in this. Citrus is secondary, grapefruit being the dominant smell. Pine smell is pretty solid though. Makes me think of being in a pine forest back in the USA with that smell.

T-- Big aggressive hops that just grab hold of you and shake you.

M-- High carbonation and a lot of hops, also a good amount of citrus again in the feel. Finishes very dry and leaves a pine menthol feel in my mouth. Flavor lasts and leaves me wanting more. Malt is secondary or maybe even third. Still well balanced. for how hoppy it is.

D-- Well hidden ABV and one or two is quite sufficient and enough. Drink more than that would have to train for that. More due to the hops than the flavor. Very well structured beer and well balanced. If Sierra Nevada made a DIPA that would be scary!

mulder1010, Apr 22, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Re-review. Sampled in a tulip glass from a 24 oz bottle. Freshness code on label side.

Highly carbonated. Rather stunning, deep, burnt-orange color. Sticky-looking head, and it goes all over the glass. Smell is peppery, but not the hop-bomb I was expecting. First taste is all hops, more of a broad, basal hops, and not too spiky. Those come into play later. Different than most IPA's I can recall, and really tasty. Sugar sweetness smacks the taste buds. Almost a toasted, bready finish, with a hop finish on the back, all the way through. Very good beer. Drinkability high: I drank a few of these quickly before I met up with the 7.2%!

* The local Giant Eagle is now stocking 24 oz bottles of this for $2.99! Looks like I have a go-to IPA for a night's single throw-back..

sixerofelixir, Apr 22, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a 20 ounce Tulip shaped pint glass.

A - A beautiful coppery colored IPA. Nice finger and a half of off white head. Head stays throughout the whole drink and leaves nice rings of patchy lace all the way down.

S - Very nice hoppy nose on this one gives an idea of things to come. Some spicy hop with a bit of pine on the nose.

T - An IPA that has a ton going on. Very nice hop bittterness that is actually balanced by a nice kick of sweet malt. The hop flavors run the full range with some spice and pine. Citrus hop flavor is present but takes a backseat to other features., fairly surprising because SN has always showcased the Cascade but here it's clear they went with a spicier, earthier feature hop.

M - Nice body here. Smooth feel.

D - Definitely an IPA that gives you what you're going for. Sturdy ABV but lots of flavor to keep you coming back.

EStreet20, Apr 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured this from one of Sierra Nevada's delightful little bottles into a pint glass. A 2-finger, taupe-colored head developed after the pour and settled into a nice thin froth the rest of the way down. Minimal lacing and a hazy honey-colored beer was made evident.

The smell was nondescript and minimal. Floral notes and woodiness persist on the nose.

The taste is bright, bitter, and leathery. For the amount of hops, this isn't a particularly floral tasting beer, but it has a nice dry tanin that leaves the mouth with a crisp refreshing feel on the swallow. The mouthfeel is bright, crisp, carbonated and full-bodied. This is a beer you can savor and reach for another right after.

This beer is like a wood shop in your barn on a fresh spring evening.

TangTKE402, Apr 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Picked it up because this was available via the single bottle up in Totowa. I've had most of Sierra Nevada's offerings and I was pretty much expecting their trademark taste here with just a bit more kick than the Pale Ale and sure enough, that's what this beer is. It's not a bad beer nor a hop bomb but anyone looking for a surprise needs to move on!

The appearance was the best aspect of this beer - a beautiful deep amber hue bordering on a bright apricot with an abundance of flecks that glistened as I held this up to the light. It almost looked like this beer was a timeless piece of amber as I moved my pint glass around, since the beer just stayed still as a beautiful whole. The head filled up the remainder of my glass but there wasn't much of any lacing to go along with it. Bubbles can be seen like in the trademark Pale Ale, but only when I took my sips. As for the taste, it's got the usual Sierra Nevada hallmarks - pine, resin, citrus, some metallic notes, and a buttery consistency. The piney hops remain in the aftertaste but there's no burning here, just a mellow taste that asks for more beer to quench it.

This beer is deceptively strong, as it feels more like a dry-hopped ale than an IPA. This isn't my favorite beer from these guys but it's very solid and immensely enjoyable because it's so easygoing. Sure, the hops emerge through in the aftertaste, but this isn't too strong or weak in the mouthfeel. This isn't a session beer but it feels like one and there's no doubt I'd have this again. Another great offering from Sierra Nevada!

JerzDevl2000, Apr 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours an impeccably clear amber color with a frothy beige head that leaves awesome lacing. The aroma starts off with a big citrusy hops character, along with some piney and resinous notes as well, and some caramel, toasted bread, esters, and some alcohol. The flavor is similar to the aroma, with a big hoppy blast upfront (with notes of citrus, pine and resin), along with a malty backbone of caramel and toasted bread, a mineral like note along with some fruity esters, and a nice closing alcohol presence. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit oily, and drinkability is good despite the ABV. A really solid IPA from SN, not mind blowing but reasonably priced and complex.

silver0rlead, Apr 21, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice head with lacing. Dark golden color.

Smell: Phenomenal hop aroma. The citrus really stands out.

Taste: Has definite a sweetness to it (almost too much), with a hard piney, light hop flavor. I'm not getting much of the citrus from the aroma in the taste.

Mouthfeel: For an extra IPA, I would assume more of a bitterness

Drinkability: I like it, & will drink more in the future

Borgs, Apr 21, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A. Two finger, fluffy white head. Amber colored with lots of carbonation bubbles. Laces nicely.

S. Either my sniffer is off or this beer has little aroma. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T. Bready malt that gives way quickly to piney hop bitterness. Kind of a one-trick-pony in my book.

M. Nice mouthfeel with good creaminess - the best attribute of this beer. Well carbonated to boot.

D. Given the bitterness, two of these is enough and it's time to move on. This is a decent IPA but it won't be a staple in my fridge given the plethora of nice IPA's I have access to that offer more complexity and balance.

bound4er, Apr 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

If you've ever had a SNPA, then you could predict what Sierra Nevada would produce in an IPA. I poured this brew into a standard pint glass and it came out dark amber with a thick but bubbly white SN head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

The nose was on the citrusy and herbal side with just the hint of caramel malt. The SN yeast was prevalent.

The flavor was essentially a hopped-up SNPA. This is not drastically bitter nor full of citrus and pine. Those flavors are there but they are not overpowering. Only the hint of biscuity malt.

Medium-bodied and dry on the finish.

During the summer, this is the IPA in my fridge. I've spent many of summer evening sitting on the lawn with a Torpedo (or several). The 7.2% ABV is dangerous, though. There is no alcohol bite in this beer at all. The first time I drank these, I got shit-faced. I now know.

BuckeyeOne, Apr 19, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A- The Torpedo has a clear amber/orange color with a good amount of carbonation. The head wasn't too much to speak of, but I don't think I've really ever seen much of one on an American IPA before.

S- The smell is a bit citrusy with a hint of a piney scent.

T- The taste is definitely better than some of the other more well known American IPA's out there and I already like those quite a bit. It seems to be a bit heavy handed right at first, but quickly becomes a well balanced taste that doesn't linger too long with any straight up bitterness. Definitely one of the better, easier to find IPA's I've had.

M- Its pretty light in the mouth and doesn't leave too much of a film as many IPA's do seem to do to me. This is also very smooth and probably is just slightly more carbonated than the middle of the pack.

D- I really enjoyed this, and as someone thats pretty hooked on IPA's as of the last year or so, I'll definitely have another. Its easy to keep sipping and just gets more personality as the temperature rises, so this definitely gets some good marks on overall drinkability.

Nerfherderhan, Apr 19, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

A friend and I have recently been exploring the world of American IPA's. I came across this one and, not being a particularly big fan of Sierra Nevada, I was pleasantly surprised.
Toasty golden orange color and hints of citrus and what I think are pine. It provides a smooth drink for the ABV and not especially bitter but definitely in line with other IPA's in that department. It really is a great beer.

WTBash, Apr 19, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a two finger head. Color is copper and amber with red highlights. Some lacing develops as the beer drinks down.

S: Mostly piney hops here. Some grapefruit and other hints of tropical fruits. It's mainly about the pine scent here though. Some sweet malts come through.

T: Sharp, bitter pine cones come through here. It's like sucking on a pine needle. A decent malt sweetness attempts to balance out the bitterness. A few tropical fruits come through as noted in the smell.

M: Resinous hops stick to the palette. Moderate carbonation.

D: Very sessionable and drinkable IPA. And for the price, it's one I can keep in my fridge all the time once it makes its way up to Central Alabama.

kirkpjr, Apr 19, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a dark, burnt orange color with an average sized head that stays around for a good while, and leaves good lacing.

Smells of hops, lots of citrus and pine. Also some malts in the background, but the hops are definitely dominant. The taste starts fairly sweet, but goes bitter very quickly. Lots of citrus, pine and grass towards the end of each sip.

The mouthfeel is full of carbonation and full-bodied. This goes down great. Not overpowering, but still very bitter. Very full and heavy, but something that is hard to only have one of.

zimm421, Apr 19, 2010
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.