Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,745 | Hads: 10,077
4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had a great dark gold color. Smelled like hops with some citrus. Tasted great, overall the main thing you will taste is hops. But not as strong as I was hoping for. But overall it was very nice. Mouthfeel was also great. Bubbly and smooth. Overall a great beer! While I was hoping for it to be a tad stronger in the hop department, it tasted great and somewhat unique. (369 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a nice American IPA, much better than the original SN Pale Ale. It has a very nice flavor at a very nice price. Also a nice 7.2% ABV. A nice natural citrus flavor with a nice piney aftertaste,good smelling. Beautiful in appearance (a nice shiney,dark gold color) 1 finger foamy head with a nice thin lacing. A must try if you haven't had this one. One guy that rated this IPA on this very site said it tastes like ol' Mary Jane. But truth be told, after 2 or 3 it kinda does (in a good way)!!! (501 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear, light amber/golden brown in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Smells mild citrusy, a bit piney, bready, very dull in smell complexity overall.
T: First sip I notice some bitter, dry hops and then it fades to some slight malty sweetness. It's hard to distinguish the exact flavors as it seems to mesh all together. Perhaps a hint of grapefruit aftertaste.
M: Dry, medium bodied beer, medium carbonation. Hops prick tongue, but not excessively.
O: So far this is the best SN beer i've had. It's super refreshing and well balanced between it's hop profile with a nice slightly sweet/malty finish. (608 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So different than the typical west coast IPA. So much more balanced. Not the typical grapefruit flavors of most IPA's. Initially sweet & malt forward with a little bitterness at the end. If there were any criticism it would be that this could be a little too sweet. But overall solid and a go to IPA. Easy to drink. I give Sierra Nevada credit for having their own style and not just following the trend of overly bitter and unbalanced IPA's. (442 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle

Pours a golden light brown body with a fluffy 1 inch off white head. Moderate lacing.

I smell fresh bread, oranges,some pine. Reminds me a little of Portuguese sweet bread.

A lot of bitter hops in the beginning and the finish, but in between there is a slightly sweet malt taste

A dry feel

This is a complex hop dominated IPA . There's a dry bitterness that grows on me.
Love the 7.20 ABV !! (412 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a beautiful looking beer. The smell is faint, piney, and earthy. The taste is malty, earthy, and slightly bitter. Not much of a hops presence. nb (153 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: nice translucent darker golden/ light amber color. Some visible carbonation. 1.5 finger white fluffy head. Nice lacing

Aroma: grapefruit. Orange, lemon and some pine

Taste. Same as aroma. Balanced with a little bit of malt. Nice bitterness not too sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied . Lingering bright carbonation.

Iverall: consitenrly delicous beer (364 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

-Big piney hops and citrus upfront
-some sweetish caramel and honey
-slight orange and lime notes
-well carbonated
-resin,grapefruity,bitter finish

very good,though not my fave kind of IPA (189 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tons of pine and citrus. A little more carbonation than I typically prefer. Wouldn't go to the store looking for this but not a bad brew for the price or if options are limited. (177 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%

Dark gold pour and foamy white head. Grass and pine notes. Herbal hops balanced with semi sweet malt base. Bitter finish. Medium lite mouthfeel with hoppy tongue coating. I think I like the Hoppy Camp a little more! (215 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look- dark golden color, nice pour,nice foamy head
Smell- got a little crisp hoppy smell
Taste- nice hoopy taste. Not bitter. Just the right touch of hops with a floral aftertaste
Feel-really smooth beer
Overall- a great ipa. Definitely one of my favorites
If you haven't had a torpedo ipa your missing out. (309 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In my imperial pint glass at cellar temperature. How have I not reviewed this yet?

Torpedo has a nice two centimeters or so of off-white foam for a head and a vibrant, deep sunset orange color.

It smells of fresh bread, honey, sweet lemon and orange, and herbal pine.

The flavor is a beautifully balanced ride, starting with tangy citrus, moving to sweet white bread and marmalade, and ending with a fairly dry finish of biscuity malts, citrus rind, and resinous pine. Lingering dank and bitter hops tease my palate for another sip.

I'm fond of the feel. Pretty well-carbonated but not too prickly, and ever so slightly sticky.

Kind of a classic IPA. Substantially hoppy and bitter, but with other balancing attributes as well. (733 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a 345ml bottle.
Appearance: good Amber colour and slightly off white head 1.5 cm that lingers well.
Aroma: good citrus and pine aroma overall but not nearly as intense as expected given this is an extra IPA with unique dry hopping technique provided by the Torpedo and the fact that whole cones are used. To that extent is was a bit disappointing compared to plenty of Aussie IPAs I have tested. Perhaps I had a batch close to expiry or not so fresh and some aroma freshness has gone.
Flavour: some citrus notes on the front palate and good strong hop bitterness on the finish. Enjoying the extra bite with higher alcohol content. Mouthfeel was very good with smooth and slightly creamy finish.
Overall: I was really looking forward to trying the
Is beer as I love a good IPA and I love the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so much that I was expecting to be blown away. I was not however. The beer is very good I'm flavour but just missed on aroma overall. (955 characters)

4.11/5  rDev 0%

Awesome head and copper color. Tasty, citrus and sweet flavors. Really nice hops. All IPA fans should at least give it a try. I think you'll like it as much as I do. (165 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oooonly downside for me is that there is a noticeable BO funk to the smell (could just be me), but taste and feel of the beer is great... And the amber color is beautiful with very little sediment. I would drink this any day! :) (228 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pint can (packaged in Chico, Dec. 29, 2014) poured into pint glass.

Clear, light copper with large, stiff, off-white head and sticky lacing.

Big floral and ctirus aroma with some biscuit malt.

Taste is citrus rind, melon, lemon, pine, and roses with mild sweet malt backbone. Dry finish with citrus rind bitterness.

Medium body and carbonation and mild ethanol warmth.

Balance is more hop forward than malt and drier and crisper than many IPAs. The complex hop aroma and flavor make this a very interesting beer. Very drinkable. (537 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Honestly, as an IPA guy and as a mixologist, I think torpedo is best used as mixing as a 50/50 with other ipas such as legacy, dirt wolf, snake dog, etc...trust me you'll love it. Just play around with your own favorite ipas. To drink this straight up, I'm not a fan, but to mix it with other ipas, it's awesome! Cheers.... (324 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a very good beer. Taste wonderful. Feels great and refreshing. I am a drinker and when I get a little extra dough I get some of this or maybe they bring me one thanks a lot for the beer really great. (207 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a dark amber with lots of carbonation. A sticky 1 finger head of white foam rests on top. I can smell this beer as I'm pouring it. Nose is hops, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and oranges. Medium-light body on this one, which is just about perfect for an IPA or DIPA, in my opinion. This beer is a hop bomb on the palate, but it's amazing. Quite bitter with loads of citrus. I also get some notes of grapefruit, spice, and banana. Decent malt on the finish.

Torpedo is one of the beers that helped get me interested in craft beer, and it's still awesome. Very well balanced, and loaded with flavor and character. (653 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Darker amber color. Has a reddish tint. S - No real piney smell to it. Kind of smells like a Lager mixed with an IPA. T - Goes with the smell and has a lager/IPA mix taste. F - Has a heavier feel that darker IPAs have. Overall = Eh. Not one of my favorites. (268 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (packaged December 16, 2014) into a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated March 7, 2015.

A-The beer is nearly clear with a reddish tinted copper color. There is about one and one-half fingers of very-off-white eggshell colored foam. The head is dense and pillowy with nice lacing and good retention.

S-The aroma is sharp with notes of pine, mint, toast, and a buttery sweetness that exposes this beers age but -- unlike most IPAs -- does not detract from the beer's aroma.

T-The taste is similar. It has that recognizable Sierra Nevada yeast/malt profile with some pine, a little bit of grapefruit, mint, buttered toast, and just the slightest hint of tropical fruit.

M-The feel is medium in body with a bit of oil and hop grit. Very drinkable.

O-This is a great beer. Unlike many IPAs or IIPAs, I could drink two of these without feeling like my palate has been blasted. Yet...the beer is appropriately hoppy and assertive. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for Sierra Nevada, but this is a very, very good beer. (1,026 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice IPA with possibly the best price point for product ratio. A tad skunky perhaps but when I want to scratch my IPA itch, a liter of this does the job often.
Thin head but good lacing. Great mouth feel. Taste/smell is mostly piney, with as others state many subtle undertones. Not too bitter unless uninitiated to IPA's.

Take away line..."Hoppy like a bunny" (361 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My second bottle of this one, a gift from my little sister (she had a six-pack and was nice enough to share a couple with me while I was visiting.) Bottling date is November 11th, 2014.

Color is a dark orange, mostly clear but with a bit of haziness. Little bubbles constantly rising from the bottom. Head is pretty thick and off-white in color; even with a pretty slow pour it ends up coming a half-inch from the top of my glass (a standard 16-ounce pint glass.) The head shrinks away into a light coating on top after a while, and as I drink it's leaving huge swaths of lacing behind on the glass as it goes. Like the other Sierra Nevada beers I've had so far, it looks pretty nice.

Smell is heavily leaning more on the hoppy side, not surprising for an IPA. I think the hops may have faded a bit with age in this particular bottle, but they are still definitely present; I'll have to have a fresher bottle to compare at some point. I picked up a bit more pine in the first bottle I had, while that aspect isn't quite as strong in this one. There's a "very ripe orange" sort of thing and a slight oniony funkiness similar to what I picked up from Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, along with piney and leafy/grassy/herbal sorts of things going on.

Taste is, like the smell, focused more on the hops than anything else. I can't really pick up anything that I would identify as a "malty" flavor even though this bottle is almost 5 months old, though my sister mentioned tasting something that reminded her of bread crusts. I think I might just barely be getting that, but it's hard to find through the hops. Speaking of the hops, they're very much in the leafy, grassy, herbal sort of range; my sister compared hers to a very strong herbal tea, which I think might not be too bad of a comparison after having a couple of them. It's definitely a very leafy, herbal sort of flavor. I got more pine from my first bottle compared to this one, but even in the first one I had the initial pine eventually gave way to the leafy/herbal sorts of flavors. I've also gotten hints of a citrusy flavor every now and then in this one. Similarly to the Hoppy Lager from the same brewery, the bitterness is present enough to keep the beer from seeming "sweet" but blends in well enough with the flavors that it isn't harsh or jarring at all--which is how I like bitterness in my beers. This one pulls that off very well. Heck, from the three beers I've had from them so far I might go so far as to say Sierra Nevada beers in general pull that off very well.

Mouthfeel is basically "fizzy but it works." There's definitely a good bit of carbonation in this beer, but it seems to work out in the beer's favor. It feels nice on the mouth and tongue and it goes down *very* easy for something with over 7% ABV (as mentioned above, the bitterness doesn't come across as harsh or jarring to me at all, instead blending in very nicely with the flavors of the beer.) The alcohol is not detectable at all to me, at least not until you get two-thirds of the way through the glass and start to feel the effects a bit anyway.

I don't know if my taste buds are getting more used to IPAs/hoppy beers in general, or if this is just a great example of how tasty and drinkable an IPA can be (considering the other reviews I'm seeing if I scroll down a little, I'm suspecting it may be some of both!), but either way I've really enjoyed this one both times I've had it. I'll definitely have to have some of this again sometime (especially if I can find it a bit fresher), when my wallet is fuller and my fridge is emptier. (3,607 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go-to IPA. Doesn't have the underlying complexity of some others, but the over the top citrus/pine/flowery smack-you-in-the-face hops along with nice carbonation, feel, and body makes this beer very drinkable. (221 characters)

I never rate beers. I like to drink them. I drink all the fancy ones people like to call the best beers in the world. KBS, Pliny, etc. This, to me, is the best beer in the world. This has the hops that every IPA strives for. More importantly you don't have to pay 22.99 for a 4 pack if you're lucky to get there at the right time. You don't have to show up on a Tuesday morning and whisper "george the animal steel likes butterscotch crumpets". This beer is $7.99 a sixer at Wegmans. Wegmans isn't exactly known for their bargains. 6 stars. 6 I say! (549 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.