Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a nice Amber Color with a good strong head.
Good lacing
Smell is grassy, citrusy and piney. Holy Cascade!
First taste is great. a very nice balance between light an caramel malts with a smack in the face from hops, hops and more hops.
flavor lingers a good 5 to ten minutes after first drink. very good beer. smell and taste move to more hop and earthy notes as it warms.

Arnie2709, Nov 23, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Orange gold with one-finger head. Good retention and lacing

Earthy, even slight peaty aroma. Good hop presence with a balance of pine and very tart fruit.

Hits very bright with lots of hops. Finishes fruity, with a pineapple twist. A little bread and toast in there as well.

Feel is spot on for the style. Just the right heft to it.

Suprisingly easy drinker for 7%+. Alcohol slides right by you, with only the slightest of hints.

beer2day, Nov 23, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a very nice hazy rust color. The head on this beer is unbelievable. Thick and bubbly. It looks like rising bread dough. Naturally, it leaves a thick, persistent lacing.

Smell: Strong grapefruit was the only thing that really hit me. Nothing to write home about on the nose.

Taste: Wow. An outstanding American IPA. The hops kick you in the teeth with grapefruit and a bit of pine, but the finish is extremely smooth and balanced with some bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent. Nice and fizzy, which compliments the grapefruit hops nicely.

Drinkability/Overall: One of the better American IPAs I've had recently. At 7.2 ABV, it's not quite an optimal session beer, but I could see myself easily having 3 or 4 in a row. I love the bitterness, but it goes down so smooth. Once again, I've got to hand it to Sierra Nevada.

CharlatanSin, Nov 22, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle to chalice.

A: Far and away the most impressive aspect of this beer. The head was HUGE! (3 fingers), frothy and mountainous. And it lasted forever. I was left with a rocky island of head in the middle of my glass. Super sticky. The lacing was so impressive that I actually felt bad rinsing out the intricate design left behind. It was remarkably consistent. The body was clear and sparkling, half way in between yellow & copper.

S & T: Extra IPA is right. Big (nay harsh) & complex hop aromas for days. Pine, flower & citrus (grapefruit and orange). Somehow the malt pulls through, straws and grains. Very spicey and a little fusel.

M: Full body with lively carbonation. Very prickly. Astringent finish leaves the mouth dry. Your saliva runs and hides in the back of your mouth and gets thick like you just ran a mile in the cold. Extra bitter (why wouldn't it be?) and a little salty.

D: Becomes more drinkable as the temperature rises but definitely not an all day beer. A good night cap.

FeDUBBELFIST, Nov 21, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +12%

Popping bottle open, I can smell a very welcoming aroma of citrus pine hops backed by sweet malted barley. Took one sip and can taste the sweet caramel malt then the hops came in and wowed it. Palate/body is medium/maybe a little thin.

Then proceeded to pour into tulip glass. Down the center, without tilting, this way you get maximum head. Nice cloudy dark-orange/light amber copper typical IPA color, topped off with big, creamy head that lasts for a few minutes. Leaves behind good lacing, sticking to the glass.

WOW!! I love. Perfect balance of hops and malt. Another outstanding ale from the great Sierra Nevada. It's a hophead's delight.

happy4hoppybeer, Nov 20, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz Sierra Nevada bottle into my oversized Moonlight pint glass.

This beer pours a deep amber with an excellent amount of foam. A mild pour yields about four fingers of fluffy head. The foam slowly receded to a solid centimeter and as I drank it down there was plenty of stick-to-it lacing.

The dry hopping "torpedo" does wonders for the nose of this beer. Moderate citrus notes along with a healthy dose of pine tree come to meet my sniffer. There's also some sweet hints that I can't quite make out, maybe some caramel malts or brown sugars.

Solid mouthfeel, there is some carb bite but associated with the medium body of the beer it isn't overwhelming.

This is a hoppy beast. The pine notes are so powerful it feels a bit like there's some sap mixed in the brew. The malt backbone is treacly sweet, which is almost necessary when you consider the pine treeness. One thing that is lacking are the citrus elements of the hoppy flavors. I get a bit of orange, but not that grapefruit that I desire.

Overall drinkability is high. Maybe the sweetness would provide a barrier for some but I feel that the middle ground body on this beer makes for an easily quaffable brew.

cptierney, Nov 19, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The colour is gold-amber, the liquid clear. The two finger head sinks very slowly down to a thick uneven lid leaving lots of lacing.

The smell is sweet, hoppy and very inviting. Notes of pine wood, ripe grapefruits, honey, pineapples and fresh lemon juice over an elegant bitter background. Lovely.

The taste is as rounded and smooth as the smell, yet there is a lot of bitterness and hoppy flavour: Sweetened grapefruit juice, fresh cut wood, raisins, lemon peels, oat flakes, bitter almonds, coca butter. Medium to full body. Some warming, pleasant alcohol in the aftertaste as well as a mild metallic flavour, an elegant bitterness and a sweet creamy note of rustic bread.

The carbonation is strong, yet the many small bubbles are mild. The liquid is semi-smooth.

bark, Nov 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This one really was what I expect in an American IPA, in regards to the hop strength, yet with a knockout ABV (7.2%) that blasted me across the room. When I woke up it was three days later!

Poured from the bottle into a Guinness tulip. Reddish brown colors with 1 inch head that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Served cold.

Smells strong grains and hops. Dominates the aroma.

Taste was hops. Totally. The malt sweetness was completely dominated by the bitterness and strength. This is definitely an ass kicker.

Smooth and drinkable, but definitely only to be repeated at a much slower pace. I can drink a few SNPAs at a time but not this one. Only a sipper for me.

chetripley, Nov 14, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful hazy dark copper with a nice thick head that sticks around the side of the glass. Keeps lacing the whole time..

Smells of Hops, cirtus and perhaps a faint hint of malt. The hops dominate!

It tastes of the earthy hops with some peppery spice and citrus. Finishes just as bold with some bread and caramel. As it warmed I noticed a bit of alcoholic burn as well

The body is decently carbonated and thicker in body. Almost oily

Awesome...when SN debuted this one last year I got it right away. Still a favorite from a favorite brewery!

jhammel01, Nov 14, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, deep copper color with a nice big fluffy white head that dissipates into a thin ring within a couple minutes. Leaves great lacing down the glass.

Smells hoppy, with some grapefruit, citrus, and heavy earthy notes.

Taste follows suit, but with a bit more. Pine, citrus, and grapefruit pop out immediately. Lost of floral, earthy flavors coming from this one. Great session brew for me personally; ipa's and dipa's are my favorite style, and this one for me strikes a nice balance between both. It has a bit more substance to it than most ipa's do, but doesn't overwhelm when a few are consumed in succession like many dipas do. Nice carbonation level remains with the beer until it is finished, and the medium body makes it great for a session brew.

HURTemHIZZY, Nov 14, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a translucent copper color with a very full-bodied, foamy white head that goes the distance. Very hoppy in the nose, with a slight spice. Kind of floral, woodsy. Hop bitterness bites you right away. Follows with a slightly mellower earthy taste, with some slight malt sweetness lying in wait. Theres a touch of citrus fruits. Medium body at best, that is pleasant on the palate. Its very nice and smooth as it goes down. The drink is rather high. Its a well rounded IPA that is much better than the average concoction. I picked up a six pack, and I don't think I am going to have any quams about sessioning them if I choose to.

EgadBananas, Nov 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper colored brew capped by a creamy pearl head. Head sticks around for a while leaving a nice sheet of lacing as it fades.

Sweet citric and almost a skunky pine hop aroma hit the nose first. Light maltiness provides some thought of balance to the smell.

Bitterness bites the tongue at first taste. Not overwhelming but very much up front. Hop flavor is somewhat muddled with no hop characteristic standing out above another. Bitter grapefruit pine and a rather earthy grass flavor have blended together into an almost indistinguishable hop profile. Slightly bready caramel malt provides some underlying sweetness.

Medium bodied beer which drinks rather smooth. Finish is slightly oily.

This one does no do it for me. Aroma is off and the flavor is not at all what I have come to expect from SN.Not a bad showing by any means just not particularly impressive.

kzoobrew, Nov 13, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Orange/amber transparent body with mother of pearl head that is about 1 finger in a chimay goblet. Mild lacing

S: Lots of citrus notes and some pine, very good smelling IPA.

T: Piney and grapefruit notes with a sort of malty undertone.

M: A little on the not-so-full-bodied side for my preferences but I would not consider it a "Premier" IPA so I don't mind.

D: My first time trying the beer and it's good but its not my favorite. I feel like I'd rather drink their pale ale instead. Either way this is a decent offering and I may imbibe again somewhere down the line.

gatorbreath, Nov 13, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A single purchased at K&L. I've had this before, most notably on tap, but I've never reviewed it.

A: Pours a clear amber body with moderate carbonation up the glass. The off-white foam cap retains well and practically oozes sticky lace as the beer dwindles in the glass.

S: Some kind of dank herb, pine, citrus, and something... green... that I can't really place. A pretty solid IPA aroma that I enjoy sniffing, even if it's not anything super-special.

T: A lot of pine, some citrus and again that herbal / green combination I can't quite place. It's very interesting. Not something that I think most people would go ga-ga over, but it's not the typical West Coast IPA flavor, and that alone makes it pretty interesting to me. Mild astringency in the finish. Some caramel malt underneath it all.

M: Medium-bodied and very smooth. Properly carbonated.

D: Not *quite* what I look for in an IPA, but I tend to respect Sierra Nevada's beers even if I don't always love them. I would pick this up again. Maybe not often, but definitely again.

Arbitrator, Nov 12, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought a six-pack of this from a local party store. The first store I went to was sold out of it, so it would seem to be fairly popular.

Poured a very nice, solid head to it. Gives off a pronounced floral scent. Head has collapsed down to about half of its original height.

First sip - very nice. Some Double IPA's have a tendency to bite your head off with their sheer hoppiness, however this delivers a distinct flavor, with a lasting aftertaste that is very satisfying.

As I continue, I'm beginning to pick up some distinct flavors. There is a bit of a woody, fiber-ish flavor that comes at you initially as it hits your pallet, however the majority of what you're going to taste is going to come from after you've swallowed. Not to say that the beer doesn't have a body to it. It just has a different way of presenting that flavor than, say a coffee stout would. It's subtle and vivid, all at the same time.

That aside, I would have appreciated a bit more body with it. What it does, it does wonderfully; however, there are times when the verb "watery" comes to mind. And for a strong, pronounced beer like this, that is a confusing sensation.

All in all, a very satisfying beer. It may not have the brute force of a Huma Lupa Licious, but it definitely stands on its own two feet. A beer to drink proudly.

techfed87, Nov 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Orange yellow color, medium head some lacing.

Smell: Cirtusy, hoppy, some with some malt sweetness.

Taste: Very DIPA like. A bit more bite than I was expecting, but good. It doesnt have the malty background as the aroma brings forth. Very good, sharp and hoppy.

Mouthfeel: A bit high on the carbonation side, dry and medium body.

Drinkability: Something I'd like to have one or two of before it got to be too dry. Nice beer, would order out, but a sixer may last me a few weeks.

djeffbee, Nov 12, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Bright yellow-orange with ample carbonation and two fingers of rocky, taupe head that leaves plenty of lace.

S - Some fruity maltiness far in the background, but this one is all about the hops. The hop aroma is very grassy and herbal, with some citrus zest - maybe lemon and grapefruit - pine, and even a hint of fennel.

T - Like the nose, there's some nice caramel malt lurking. Otherwise, this beer assaults the palate with hops. There are some good flavors of pine and grass, and I can see why others may really enjoy this beer, but I'm not sure I enjoy its hop profile. For me, it's a complete overload of herbaceous, leafy flavors, with the aforementioned fennel being all but a deal-breaker. It also has a strange minty quality. On the other hand, bitterness is spot on - bracing, without being overdone. The finish is dry, and yet well-balanced. As the beer warms, I find myself starting to revise my opinion - the flavors begin to better mesh and some of the unpleasant leafiness fades, with malt coming forward a bit.

M - Body is on the lighter side of medium, with a very spritzy, peppery carbonation.

D - I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this beer. This bottle was my third of the six pack - having tried the first two bottles earlier in the week - and it's the first one I was able to enjoy at all. While I'm not a huge fan of cask beers, I'd be interested to try this one on cask, suspecting that that may improve some of the qualities I found lacking here.

trbergman, Nov 11, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a deep amber with a good amount of carbonation. A medium, white head forms but dissipates into a thin layer quickly leaving behind a good amount of lacing.

The aroma is incredibly light. I get a little hoppiness but nothing else. After it has warmed up to room temperature, I get some grassiness and more citrus.

The taste is very bitter and seems to be more bitter than most American IPA's I've had and I'd say its more bitter than some double IPA's I've had. The citrus flavors are a bit subdued and I'm not getting a whole lot of complexity beyond a hint of pine at the finish. As it warms up to room temperature, I'm getting more of the citrus and some grassiness and to a much lesser degree, a hint of alcohol. For an IPA, it feels a bit thick in my mouth similar in thickness to a porter.

Truthfully, there are better IPA's out there and I don't quite see why this one is so famous. I will definitely not have again. Sierra Nevada has much better beers than this and there are much better IPA's out there than this one.

SkunkWorks, Nov 10, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a conic pint glass. No visible born on date or "best by" date, but the beer is copper / orange, really good color. Holy head batman, the head forms a thick layer of yellowish tiny bubbles three or four fingers thick on the top of the beer. Head falls away slowly leaving a ton of lacing on the glass. carbonation is medium and the beer is slightly hazy.

Aroma is less than I expected, kind of a muted soapy pine hop smell. Not much else there. I was expecting the smell to burn out my nose for the night with hop aroma, just not there. It definitely smells like hops, just not as strong as I expected.

Pretty sweet for an IPA. Its interesting, almost too sweet. The hops are pushed so far back in the flavor and palate they show up as an aftertaste. The aftertaste of hops fades quickly but not what I was expecting at all. AT ALL! Second taste: hops were a lot more obvious in the second sip, the head has fallen to barely cover the top of the beer. Tastes great. Lots of pine in the back. Clean finishing.

Mouthfeel is great. There is a lot of midpalate connectivity, lots of good medium to full body, finishes cleanly. Drinkability high. I love IPAs and this is a great example. Not the best but its up there.

drabmuh, Nov 09, 2009

This is a good, tasty, big IPA. Color is dark amber and pours with a light head. Smell is nice and hoppy. Taste is full with nice hop bitterness. Dry on the palate. The hops in this beer don't quite have the depth or subtlety of some other double IPAs. Very drinkable. Nicely carbonated, pleasantly bitter. All in all a very good, but not quite extraordinary, double IPA.

DoreenAndDave, Nov 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6%

Poured a very nice dark copper amber, about what you would expect a good IPA to look like. Thick sticky head with perfect lacing. Smell is very fragrant floral citrus hops with a little sweet molasses showing up. This is one great tasting beer. Hop bitterness is the overwhelming characteristic of course, but this was a lot more balanced than I expected. There is plenty of sweet toasty malt backbone to start. The spicy grapefruit citrus takes over quickly folowed by a perfectly brutal bitter hop kick. There is a nice little burning hop presance on the back of my throat that I really enjoyed. I thought that this was going to be one of those IPA's that went overboard beyond the point of being enjoyable. Just the opposite. This is close to a perfect tasting beer. It's not a beer that you can drink alot of at one sitting. That's really not a bad thing I guess. From what I can tell it is imposible for Sierra Nevada to do anything wrong. Fantastic beer.

lester619, Nov 06, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -41%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

AgentZero, Nov 05, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint.

This beer pours a dark orange with a decent white head, not much lacing.

The aroma is very bitter, lots of hops and pine cone.

The taste is like the aroma but super-charged. Its all pine cone, I feel like I'm a squirrel. The bitter is so overwhelming it makes it hard to drink very much of this.

jrallen34, Nov 05, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Opened my first bottle of this elusive nectar on the Fourth of July 2009. Torpedo begins with a heavy dollop of foam then slooowwly settles to rest atop a semi-translucent sea of amber. The continual lathery lacing dominates the glass throughout the quaff. Nary a carbonation bubble to be seen.

The nose detects (initially) a complex and vast myriad of ester, some of which seems to combines pineapple, almond and spice with pine needles thrown in for that extra kick. There is a heavy mouthfeel of malt that supplements some sweet hoppiness. [This was not the hop bomb I originally anticipated.]

This was a surprisingly light bodied IPA, and yet comes across as a sipping beer as well. Sierra Nevada has never disappointed me; and dependent on the availability, I shall certainly keep this one stocked throughout the year. Torpedo is another happy addition to the SN family.

jjboesen, Nov 04, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A- pretty clear light copper with an frothy white head that dissipates quickly, with a bit of lacing.

S- Citrus a pine up front, with a bit of malt in the back. more pine as i flattens.

T- Blanace at first with the malt behind but not dominated by the powerful hops. citrus notes throughout this a wonderful drink.

M- Very smooth Medium carbonation little sticky bitterness lingers in the back of your throat.

D- Well-balanced, as it warms and flattens the hops really become more noticeable. its overall drinkable all the way through.

gloobygloob, Nov 04, 2009
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.