Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Nice creamy head, cloudy copper colour, head still has a creamy appearance even after it reduces.

Smell: Strong floral nose, makes my tastebuds tingle

Taste: Bitter hops at first, undertones of malt. Nicecly balanced for an IPA, aftersate is lingering citrus biterness but not so much as to be overpowering

Mouthfeel: well balanced carbonation, lively enough to activate the floral hops but restrained enough to still allow the malt to show itself

Drinkability: Very pleasant, the aroma alone makes it worth trying.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Bottle poured into a Laughing Dog pint glass.

My buddy gave me his last bottle of Torpedo with the promise that it would change my life, and he may be right.

Pours a gorgeous golden tawny colour with a nice finger to finger and a half of tan head that is lacy when it starts to dissipate.

Smells nicely floury and slightly citrusy, but also hints of sweetness from the malt.

First taste was surprising, it just may be the most balanced IPA I have ever had. Nicely sweet, bitter, acidic, citrus and piny notes, but nothing overpowering anything else.

Feels excellent on the mouth, nicely carbonated just enough to keep your mouth interested.

For a beer at 7.2% I think its dangerously easy to drink!!! No issue for me to go into a number of these in order. Definitely a must buy when I can find it again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass

The color of this is a nice vibrant copper color that has a nice layer of foam at the top.

The smell of this one was some nice piney hops with a floral note and a dash of seasoning, pepper comes to mind mixed in.

The taste of this is a nice hop attack at first that gives way to a nice peppery pine taste with some definite hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel of this is pretty dry and I find it pretty drinkable and a very good choice for an IPA lover.

Definitely a good hop fix for those hop heads out there and a great choice for a session beer to me. I really enjoyed the taste of this one.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Nice caramel color with a nice fluffy tan head that lingers on my tumbler. Once the head settles the small bubbles from the bottom just stop. Its clear and still in my glass, which is pretty interesting.

S- I like the smell. I was expecting a robust aroma, but i seems clean, hoppy and refreshing to the nose. Some pine also in the nose.

T- Wow this is a great brew. Its definatly an EXTRA IPA, and after learning about how they brew this beer, its mainly for hop heads. But the flavor is not to heavy and its surprisingly refreshing. One of my favorite IPA's. The balance in this beer is amazing. FRESH and powerful.

M- Not much carbonation and very smooth on the mouth.

D- I edited my review. Great IPA and definatly one of my favorite IPAs around..

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into tulip pint; bottled 12/22/10.

A: Pours a cloudy, bright amber-red color, with a finger of bubbly off-white head. Good deal of carbonation bubbles flowing throughout, and spotty lacing.

S: Grainy, caramel malt backbone accompanied by bitter citrus and pine hops.

T: Nice balance of sweet, caramel malts and bitter, citrusy hops- orange and grapefruit with a hint of pine. It may not be outstanding, but it's extremely solid- great flavor for such a widely available, affordable IPA.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation; smooth with a lingering sticky finish.

D: Goes down very easily; the enjoyable taste, mouthfeel, and price point mean I'll be returning to this one soon.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

From a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, nice clear coppery orange color with a bit of lively carbonation. Thin head of off white foam lingers; decent clingy lace. Nose of pine and citrus hops with some bready malt. In the mouth, it's up front nice and crisp, drawing attention to bold piney hops. Bitter middle balanced with some bready malt. Dry, bitter clean finish. Mouthfeel is nicely crisp and carbonated, yet wet and quenching. Drinkability is very good overall.

Overall: I found myself buying three more sixers on various occasions after I discovered this. Great stuff, and a nice break from my standby Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

[Best served in a Shaker]

Poured a reddish-orange that was a bit hazy with a medium sized off white rocky head that had very nice retention which allowed for some fair lacing. The aroma had a heavy dose of hops, a light grain malt and a horse blanket yeast scent with a nice citrus note that stood out rather well. It tasted moderately bitter of hops in the beginning and finished with a nice pronounced malty-bitter flavor that had a nice hint of citrus at the end, with the flavor only lasting a short time. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery yet dry in texture with a very nice carbonation. Overall a very nice IPA that had a well balanced hop-citrus flavor working for it. I have to say I kind of enjoyed this one and I am not even a hop lover.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

This pours very cloudy orange with 2 fingers of chunky head with a lot of lacing. I smell some malt and hops with some booziness, but the taste doesn't reflect the alcohol. It has pretty nice malty bitterness balance, but not near as good as Celebration. I don't get the fresh hop impression in Torpedo. There is a dirty/earthy pine taste, which I do enjoy as a variety in an IPA. As I drink through this beer, I notice dark fruits that are represented in the smell and taste. The body is mildly heavy, I think I will stick with just one of these. Solid beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A) Nice, thick, creamy head. Off-white. Slightly billowy, about 1/2" and slowly drops. Leaves thick coating on the sides. Looks sticky. Head really sticks around. Orange mixed with copper. Very natural. Not bright orange. I think this is as good looking as an IPA gets.

S) Piney, resin. Grapefruit citrus. Some earthiness.

T) A slight syrup sweetness followed by a lacerating hop bitterness and grapefruit. Slightly medicinal. Bitterness stays on the tongue. This is a grapefruit beer with just enough maltiness to shine through and makes its presence known. Not at all a dry IPA. For me, this is the maximum maltiness I want in an IPA. Just a hint of cloyingness.

M) Medium mouthfeel. High-end of medium for carbonation.

I think it's a great american IPA. It's not exactly what I want, but it's a great IPA and pretty close.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Even with a soft pour, this beer produces a large, fluffy cream-colored head that dissolves slowly leaving puffy lace. The beer is copper and clear. Very inviting.

The nose presents mostly citrus--particularly grapefruit--with additional notes of pine and hint of spice.

The first taste on the palate is the citrus but this quickly gives way to a pleasant bite of spiciness that lingers on in the after taste. The malt is dominated by the hops but makes a brief showing mid-taste. As the beer warms the malt tends to hang around a little longer.

Body is medium with good carbonation. The acidity of the hop spice becomes palpable. Finish is dry.

A beer that is boldly hopped but manages to be easy to drink. A very good West Coast IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Well balanced American IPA which tastes more like a double IPA. The hops clearly dominates everything about this brew. Great blend with the alcohol to make this very drinkable. The hops seems to expand in your mouth. But is tamed by the pine, lemon, grapefruit notes, along with mild yeast and malts.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice amber color with white collar that hung around for awhile.

Nice pine and citrus smell. Not much malt in the nose.

Malt favor comes in the taste. Good balance of hops and malt. First a nice hops taste followed by malt. After the malt taste dissipates I was left with more hops lingering on.

Very nice. Carbonation good, but no distinguishable mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. Nice IPA. Price is nice as well.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a deep amber color with a nice white foamy head that is very inviting. The smell is hops/hops/hops, at first a very nice citrus smell, honey/grapefruit slight orange and then the aroma is hops from there on in, almost like sniffing a pine tree dipped in honey. The taste is very balanced. The hop presence is there and strong but not overly done. I was blown away by this, bitter but not overly done. The malts were well balanced with the hops. Bitterness? Yes but perfectly blending with the sweet barley and malts. Amazing how an everyday supermarket beer blew me away like this. Feels light and crisp in the mouth. This is a strange beer, perfect for winter and for summer. I can sip this in front of a fire as well as lakeside. Perfection, lets just say this beer blew my mind.

Note for all you budget types, picked this up on the west coast for only $6.99 for a six pack. Worth every penny.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I went to the store to buy Stone IPA or Bells Two Hearted but the they were sold out. So I was forced to find a different IPA. I noticed this beer and decide to give it a try. Smooth for an IPA but not lacking flavor. Without a doubt I will buy again. Not my favorite IPA but better than most.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A-Pours a orangish yellow color with nice 1 finger head

S-Has a piney citrus smell

T-Has a nice hoppy flavor upfront with some maltiness and citrus in the middle.FInishes alittle on the dry side

M-light bodied,clean feel

D-Very drinkable beer. Really like this beer. HAs alittle more flavr then i was expecting. Has a slight dry finish but overall a wonderful beer

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a orange-copper with red reflections, one inch off-white sturdy head. Aroma is nice grapefruit, pine, and floral with some bready malt backing. Soft entry with creamy mouthfeel. Taste is similar to aroma but more grapefruit and a slight woody note. A more balanced IPA but still hop-forward. Leaves a really nice lacing as the beer drains.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in a standard pint, the beer is a chill hazed bronze with a thick sticky beige head. Awesome lacing. It is a looker.

Nose of grapefruit and pine.

The beer is bitter in the best way, mouth coating pine resin, some citrus and a bit caramel malt.

The mouth is sturdy and slick.

I like it and will look for it next time I'm out!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I've found my new favorite IPA. The difference i find between this and the Dogfish Head 90 minute is a subtle malt that steers away from it's extreme hoppy flavor.

It pours a beautiful dark golden brown with an effervescent head that sit's wonderfully above the rim of my mug.

I'm at the bottom of the glass already and the lacing still reaches all the way to the top of the mug. This beer is a masterpiece.

Words cannot express how much I love this beer. We are friends. We have shared memories. It is so AGGRESSIVELY HOPPY (something I look for in my "recreational beers"). Citrus. Pine. Hops and more hops. But there is a hint of malt that makes this more than just bitterness. This beer is worth drinking. Fo sho.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

First beer from Sierra Nevada lets give it a go.

Appearance - 2 finger head that dies down after a minute or 2 good lacing on the glass.

Smell - hops and pine with some citrus.

Taste - Good old hops with malt afterwards not as much citrus in the taste as I thought there would be, its more of an after thought.

Mouthfeel - Clean but rather dry.

Drinkability - Great hoppy beer I could down a few each night, though the high hops and dry finish may turn away those who don't have IPA's often.

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: orangish yellow with 2 finger white head

Smell: hops, citrus, pine

Taste: hops, with a sweet malt backbone

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, crisp, clean, dry bitter finish,

Drinkability: very nice IPA. Definitely an IPA I would introduce to somebody into hoppy beers with.

cheers,

The cpj

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from bottle into 20oz tumbler.

A: Pours a nice copper color that is moderately clear and forms a half finger head that does dissolve down to a thin film of white froth that covers the entire glass. Lacing is moderate with good bands being left on the glass after every sip.

S: The aroma is textbook IPA style. The pine presence from the hops dominates with hints of citrus and flowers becoming apparent from time to time. If you seek it out the malt notes can be detected, but you must search for them.

T: Hops dominate (as they should in an IPA or Extra IPA) and give a pronounced bitterness, but this is offset by the citrus flavors that follow. The malt presence is defined by a bready and sweetness that helps cut the hops bitterness a bit.

M: Dry, very dry. But, that is perfectly OK from an IPA. This beer sits well with mild carbonation, respectable ABV (no alcohol can be detected), and the hops bitterness. The dryness is just enough to keep you coming back for more.

D: I enjoyed the beer and will definitely have more. While there are styles that I would prefer to drink more, Sierra Nevada has hit a perfect balance between the higher end IPA's and the affordability of a standard "six pack" IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

My friend Justin bought a couple of these and he didn't like it so he sent his other bottle my way. Thanks! Poured into a pint glass. Pours a nice hazy straw color with about a finger of creamy white head. Lots of lively carbonation in the body. Real bitter pine hop aroma with this one. Smells very dry with a slight hint of citrus in the background. Very dry flavor to this. Lots of piney hop bitter flavors with a dry grapefruit finish here. Seems a bit on the heavy side. A little stick and thar carbonation is pretty good. Pretty good drink here. I like the crisp body and relatively low ABV.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Writing this review after a long day and a nice workout playing ultimate frisbee. Didn't even pour it in a glass, just straight into my belly. This is definitely my kind of IPA. Smell is incredible, can definitely detect the citrusy hops. Taste is incredible. Plenty of hops in this one to keep me satisfied. Goes down very easy. At 7% a 6 pack of this could be dangerous.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a clear, light amber, 1 finger head, good retention. Medium in carbonation from the looks of it.

Floral and pine like, slight graininess as well as a lemon/orange peel aroma. Yep its an IPA

Hop bitterness is very strong, pine and grapefruit flavors coming to mind. The bitterness doesnt last to long as the malt sweetness takes over. The alcohol becomes apparent after the first few sips as the roof of my mouth starts to heat up. The finish is nice as a a big bready malty flavor finishes off the flavors of this beer.

Pretty crisp, refreshing, light in body, pretty drinkable and for the value and availability if this brew its a damn fine beer

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.