Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
JasonA

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Just un-transparent copper. Solid finger of head, ample lacing. Settling islands of carbonation.

Hops, hops, hops. Lots of hops. Some citrus, light medium malt, some barley.

Initial hops, swarming hops, piney pale hops. Thats a lot of hops.

Just enough bitter with the hops. Extremely well balanced. Barely malt, hint almost. Perfect amount.

I wish it was about 20 degrees warmer as this brew is a perfect hot weather quencher.

04-04-2009 21:31:13 | More by JasonA
REDBIKE22

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Was looking for a nice IPA the other night while grilling out...saw this and decided to give it a shot...

WOW! Excellent beer for the price...explosive hops all over...nice amber orange with an off white head that leaves foamy lacing all the way down the pint glass. Just read that SN is actually running short on this stuff, so get it while you can...here in Publix, it seems to be pretty abundant.

My new favorite IPA, hands down...I could put away a few of these on a hot day!

04-04-2009 21:19:19 | More by REDBIKE22
smcolw

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Lumpy off-white head that leaves chunky lace islands on the rim of the glass. Deep dark copper color. Clear.

Fresh green hop aroma--not overly strong. Very little malt smell.

Strong hoppy bitterness. Not as floral as the aroma would suggest. The malt briefly appears at the very beginning of the taste, but it seems more suited as the delivery engine of the hop bomb. Solid body with appropriate carbonation. A solid IPA

04-04-2009 18:29:39 | More by smcolw
fostwal

The first thing that you notice about this beer is the intense hop flavor. The sharp, bitter, hop flavor makes this definitely not the beer to down. You are forced to take your time and enjoy the beer. Savor the flavors. Smell the hop scent. And admire the dark golden color. This is a really good beer for those that like, no LOVE, hops.

04-04-2009 17:52:23 | More by fostwal
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Finally found this brew at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR. I bought it in a six pack for $9 plus tax. Not bad, if it turns out to be as good as I have heard. My palate has grown weary of all the sweet beers I find here. I'm sick of Belgian Ales, Dubbels, Trippels, Quads, and Bocks. I want something hoppy and dry for a change and I really hope this brew delivers.

Appearance: Pours a rich, slightly foggy, copper body with a two-finger ivory head with nice lacing and retention.

Smell: The nose is fruity with scents loaded with pine, hops, pineapple, and malted barley. I didn't really get a whole lot of citrus with this one.

Taste: This brew takes me back to the days I spent sitting in the Stone Brewery's Beer Gardens, enjoying a nice Arrogant Bastard Ale. Torpedo has a sweet bite that moves in to a rich pine taste. The pine subsides and moves in to a harsh nutty bitterness that I have missed so much.

Mouthfeel: The brew is fairly heavy but not as chewy as others of its caliber.

Drinkability: If you love IPAs and ASAs, then its right up your alley. I have no problem knocking back a six pack in an hour, though I am sure many people would say that it's too heavy. If you like hoppy beers, its great!

It's California in a bottle.

Cheers!

-James

04-04-2009 15:17:44 | More by dotsonjamesg
CAP1868

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the typical Sierra Nevada styled bottle into a pint glass. The funny thing about this one is that it was my girlfriends choice...and what a great one.

A-Dark amber red, I couldn't see through the brew in my pint glass, had a decent head that remained with decent lacing. I knew these to be a very good sign of things to come.

S-Smelled very much of pine and citrus which it states on the bottle itself.

T-Wow I loved it...Torpedo is a great name for this beer because its hops all the way up front, but has a very complex malty finish that is simply amazing. This beer is almost perfectly balanced. The pine and citrus were also prevalent throughout the entire tasting.

M-Medium bodied, sticky type feeling

D-At 7.2%ABV you'd think it'd be a tough session beer but it's not so be careful.

GREAT brew and if you can find it, give it a try.

04-04-2009 14:19:49 | More by CAP1868
BigMike

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an orangish amber color with some red highlights.
Two fingers of thick creamy white head.

Very nice fresh aroma. Piney, citrus, and spice.

Lots of hops up front. This one is like SNPA on roids. A lot bigger and thicker. Nice caramel malt flavor and and hoppy bitterness to finish it up.

This is easily drinkable for 7.2% and might very well be one of my new go to beers. (if i can find it).
This one has quality written all over it.
I'm glad i finally got to sample a bottle.

04-04-2009 01:17:47 | More by BigMike
drseamus

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Reddish amber body with visible carbonation. There was a touch of head on it.

S: Good mix of both pine and citrus hops. I could use a little more aroma.

T: Good bitterness right up front but the pine dominates over the citrus in flavor. Very malty as well. Honestly, not a properly balanced AIPA.

M: A touch thick for an AIPA but I think it's the abundance of malt.

D: Not too bad, but I'll take a SNPA over this.

04-03-2009 23:54:34 | More by drseamus
BeerisfoodLLC

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer pours with a nice rich opaque amber color and a thick head. Decent retention. Strong citrus scents permeate from the glass along with some mild floral hints. Strong hoppy taste in the initial sip. Balances out nicely with the malts for a very drinkable tasty beer. If you like an IPA heavy on the hops this will be a nice treat. Not necessarily my favorite Sierra Nevada beer but pretty darn good!

04-03-2009 20:33:54 | More by BeerisfoodLLC
SixpointJMH

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a crisp light amber colour with a mid-sized to big frothy, creamy head. Lots of residue is left on the glass ocne the head subsides.

The aroma is primarily of big, juicy hop notes with some floral notes as well. There are hints of caramel here and a bit of pine too. Very Sierra-like: simple, but on point and effective.

The flavour sort of echoes the aroma for the most part, with juicy, floral hop notes, and a bit more pine than noted in the aroma. There's a bit of a breakfast cereal flavour here as well. Very bready too. There's a nice bitter finish at the end of each sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and is a bit oily/slick with a nice bite to it.

This one reminded me of the Troegs HopBack Amber a bit, but as an IPA vs an amber. Good stuff. Very simple but very tasty. Easy to recommend and glad that it's a year round offering as I'll pick it up often.

04-03-2009 19:22:30 | More by SixpointJMH
Patrick999

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Finally reviewing the controversial Torpedo.

A - As with most Sierra Nevada beers, Torpedo raises a formidable wall of foam, and leaves copious lace as it slowly recedes. A pale "dark gold," this looks a lot like Celebration.

S - Hops, mostly of the grapefruit persuasion, but some piney expression as well. For all the hops in here, I was actually expecting a greener, more pungent nose. Seems a little weak.

T - Not surprisingly, a strong hop bite a la Celebration, minus some of the Pine-Sol character. As in SN's famous pale ale, the Chico yeast throws off some fruity esters. Has a fresh, grainy malt underpinning.

F - Not quite as harsh and soapy as the SN Harvest ales, which I appreciate. Has a slightly more thin feel.

D - Easy to drink, good beer, it's just that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It tastes substantially like any number of Sierra Nevada hoppy beers. While I enjoy this beer, it would seem that this venerable craft brewery has become something of a one-trick pony. They do what they do very well, and the price of this is quite nice, which will undoubtedly bolster its popularity, and deservedly so - yet all the harvest beers, Celebration, Anniversary, SNPA, and now Torpedo - they are starting to seem a bit same-y. I'll drink the hell out of it when I'm in a mood for hops, but I'd really like to see Sierra Nevada bust out and do something from leftfield. Just a thought.

04-03-2009 11:41:33 | More by Patrick999
sarahspat

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pouring this 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass resulted in an inch and a half to two inches of light orange sherbet colored head. It leaves no shortage of lacing behind. Cloudy dark gold.

Nose is deep citrus, candied pineapple, pine sap and herbal.

Wow! This is a tasty IPA. Flavor is strongly piney at first, which then gives way to grapefruit and candied pineapple, then some nice crisp floral notes. Bitterness is definitely a force here, but it doesn't overwhelm the palate, and allows you to enjoy the richness of hop flavors. The pineyness lingers for a very long time. The hops overpower the malt almost completely. Just a bit of caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, but very smooth; has moderate carbonation.

This is a classy IPA and unbelievable for the price. Thank you, Sierra Nevada. The great thing about this beer is that it gives you so many different hops flavors to enjoy. Now I see what they mean by the "extra" IPA. I mean, this would be a great IPA even with a few fewer flavors.

04-03-2009 00:51:11 | More by sarahspat
FtownThrowDown

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a transparent amber in color with a nice inch of pillowy head on top. Smell is some hops, but there's also a subtle spicy flavor as well. Taste is more hops. Somewhat piney and citrusy. Very smooth with the perfect amount of bitterness. For a year around sixer this is going to be a very tempting offering. Highly sessionable. I could easily put down a sixer of this in one sitting without even thinking about it. Well done Sierra Nevada.

04-02-2009 01:03:18 | More by FtownThrowDown
Gilgemesh

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured strong down the center in my new Duvel Green Tulip. Thanks Mel. A nice pillowy off-white head that faded to about 1/2 inch and stayed. Lovely lacing and clarity, but what else do you expect from SN. The nose is not as strong as I would expect with an IPA, but I get notes of pine and citrus mixed with a bit of crystally malt. Good carbonation leads into a lite malt moment before the hops slam you. This beer is named Torpedo for a reason. The crisp bitterness doesn't sneak up, it announces itself with a ping and swoops in on you. This is a clean crisp brew with a nice bitter finish. Strong all the way through. I'd like to see a bit more in the nose, but that is being a bit picky. I'm glad I have a case.

04-01-2009 23:48:54 | More by Gilgemesh
tubeboy

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A nice strong IPA with a great mouthfeel and lasting taste. A reasonably aromatic pour with a decent head and nice lacing. I will put this on my list of quality alternatives to 90 minute IPA. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer and hope it's not just a seasonal offering.

04-01-2009 22:52:52 | More by tubeboy
SeattleBeerBlog

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A- poured a good head and is a great copper color with great clarity for a dry hopped beer.

S- Smells great, a bit of pine and a lot of citrus, smells like a good mixture of hops, also has sweetness from the malt in there as well. hmmm

T- Man this is good, I thought the hops would be very upfront since it is an extra IPA but they were very subtle, the flavor extends past the first sip and the pine hops really come through. Man this beer keeps going after each sip it is great. The malt adds a great richness as well.

M- medium-to heavy bodied, with a little alcohol but not much.

D- Over all a great beer, probably my new replacement for SN pale ale, plus it is a freaking steal at a regular 6 pack price (i got mine for 7.99

04-01-2009 22:40:55 | More by SeattleBeerBlog
dankbrew21

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

No freshness date.

Appearence- Light brown. Even, small-bubbled head. Whoa! I can smell it from 2 feet away! Teeny tiny sediments floating around. Looks good!

Smell- Smells like an extra IPA. Alot of wonderfull hops. Similar to Hopslam. Piny and, do I detect a hint of pineapple?? Maybe a light honey presence. Sweet and sharp with loads of hops.

Taste- Powerfull! And yummy! More bitter than the Hopslam, amazing flavor! Definitly a strong IPA. Perfect alchohol and great carbonation.

Drinkability- I could probably drink three of these before losing my taste buds!

04-01-2009 22:13:16 | More by dankbrew21
Seanibus

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

The sharp sting of the hops shot out as I opened the bottle - I could smell it three feet away. The aroma is biting and piny, with waves of bitter citrus. The beer pours an orange-copper with a slight head and decent lace. The flavor is sharp and bitter and piny, with a bitter, sour grapefruit character. Hops dominate - the malt is hard to pick out behind the blast of hops, though as it warms, there is a pleasant toasty, slightly biscuity taste that peeks out from behind the hopping. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin.

This is a delicious beer. Not, perhaps, the best West Coast style IPA around, but an excellent addition to the Sierra Nevada lineup and a worthy modern cousin to the venerable Pale Ale.

04-01-2009 19:36:48 | More by Seanibus
LordHammer

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours a clear amber with a small off-white head that fades to a thick lace which lingers on the surface all the way down.

S: A bit of bready malt, and lots of citrusy and piney hops.

T: A bit of sweetness from the malt, then a big wallop of bitterness from the hops. Hop flavor is mostly pine, with a sampling of grapefruit and resin. Balanced, no. Delicious, yes.

M: Solidly middle of the road in body, it lingers a bit on the teeth and tongue. Carbonation is mild, but present.

D: I would love to drink several, but I can definitely see this one wiping out my palate halfway through the second bottle.

This is another solid offering from Sierra Nevada. I liked this year's Celebration a bit better, but this is an excellent year-round offering.

03-31-2009 23:09:00 | More by LordHammer
JAA

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Roughly $8(per sixer) at Total Wine in Sarasota. I'm always up for some Sierra Nevada. I, like many, owe much of my interest in craft beer to this fine brewery.

Looks like celebration, tastes like the failed aspirations of John McCain. So satisfying. A bit less balanced than their other pale ales, but flavorful none the less. A healthy amount of hop bite leads to a little more bitterness than SN's other IPA offerings.

Overall, easy to drink and worth the price. Too bad it's so hard to find.

03-31-2009 22:11:30 | More by JAA
youngblood

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

From all of the hype of this beer, I was expecting something absurdly hopped. but was pleasantly surprised with this well balanced ipa. The beer pours to a golden amber, shimmering ever so slightly in the light. The head on this beer billows strongly but still manages to invite my nose forward. Balance, balance, balance is what comes to my mind when sniffing the beauty. Of course there is some lovely pine popping me right in the sinuses, but the rushing behind it is that lovely slightly roasted malt to sweeten it all up. Taste follows the nose closely, wonderfully bitter/piney flavor up front followed by a slight caramel from the malt. Leaves you with fresh pine breath (but not like pinesol). This feels a bit carbonated on my tongue, not unpleasant, but not the best thing to ever touch my tongue either. The ABV is hidden quite well on this. I could and will drink this often. Thank God for year round IPA's.

03-31-2009 13:36:16 | More by youngblood
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"

--Admiral David G. Farragut (and Tom Petty)

Radiant pumpkin with bumblebee yellow borders. The liquid looks good and the crown looks great. The foam is a beautiful shade of pastel orange-tinted pearl and has a rich, milkshake creamy texture. There's a ton of gorgeous lace as well.

The aroma is solid without being special. Keeping in mind that IPA noses are all about the hops, this brew uses an rather unconventional combination of Magnum, Crystal and Citra (a new variety). It's a little citrusy and is also herbal and faintly funky. In the end, I much prefer the Chinook, Cascade and Centennial excellence of Celebration Ale. Having said that, I understand Sierra Nevada's need to change things up a bit.

Torpedo Extra IPA is wonderful beer that manages to distinguish itself from the rest of the brewery's lineup. Compared to Celebration, Torpedo is less caramel malty, less hoppy, less deliciously hoppy (personal opinion) and slightly stronger with respect to ABV. Although I'm not blown away, quality IPAs aren't easy to come by in this state, so we'll take what we can get.

The malt tastes modestly toasted and borderline caramel-like. Again, hop flavor doesn't stand out because none of those three hops are among my favorites. A little grapefruit zest (from Citra, presumably) helps. Pine makes a brief appearance, as does an herbaceousness that I can take or leave.

The mouthfeel is pure Sierra Nevada, which the same as saying pure quality. It's at least medium for the style and is full of rounded edges. I like a little rawness in some IPAs, but this one has either too much malt or not enough hops to get there. Perfect carbonation... as always.

I'm amazed that Torpedo Extra IPA is the first year-round IPA in the long, storied history of Sierra Nevada Brewing. I would have much preferred year-round Celebration Ale, but then anxiously anticipating that iconic brew and then tasting it change over the next few months is half the fun. Bottom line: this is a solid addition to SN's lineup that I'll come back too now and again.

03-31-2009 13:09:04 | More by BuckeyeNation
TheBCrew

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Very clear amber color with 2 fingers of thick, creamy, off-white head. Head fades slowly and leaves ring of sticky lacing on the glass with each sip. Aroma is fairly subtle (though I am getting over a cold). Hints of pine and citrus hops. I was shocked at how balanced this beer is. I was expecting an in-your-face hop bomb but was pleasantly surprised with a bready, slightly malty flavor up front followed by hints of apricot and grapefruit and a slightly dry finish. Minimal lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is fantastically creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. Highly drinkable, the 7.2% ABV is very well hidden. Could drink these all night.

03-31-2009 12:34:58 | More by TheBCrew
alcstradamus

Washington

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

A--Wonderful glowing amber color with a few carbonation bubbles being the only thing to break up the clarity. Head was about a finger tall and an off-white color. Recedes down to a quarter inch tall quickly but then sticks there for a while. Decent lacing.

S--Pretty much all hops..mostly citrus on the nose with a grassy backbone. Would be near-perfect if it was a little stronger

T--Much like the smell, this one is all hops. Very grassy taste that is bitter on the tip of the tongue and roof of the mouth.

M--Medium bodied and very oily. Glides down the throat like silk.

D--I still have yet to really embrace IPA's like many beer advocate members so for me this is a one and done beer, but it is easy drinking and once my palate is more accepting I would definitely want to session this

03-31-2009 06:03:29 | More by alcstradamus
mjl21

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Only bottling info is the code 9022X16 3 6. Comes in at 7.2%.

A-Pours a nice clear amber. Has a 3/4 finger off white head that fades away fairly quickly to a ring with some nice spots in the middle.

S-Pine and citrus hops, primarily lemon.

T-Very piney tasting upfront. Has the perfect level of sweetness mid sip and a nice grapefruit bitterness on the back. Pick up some orange on the back of the palate between sips. Hops are there but do not overpower.

M-Medium bodied, very creamy, with a nice resiny feel. Comfortable level of carbonation.

D-7.2% is well hidden and it goes down easy.

A great beer from SN. It has now become my houseparty beer of choice due to its availabi lity at Costco ($24.00 a case). They really have created a great IPA and SN's wide dsitribution reach here means running into this beer should never be a problem.

03-31-2009 05:48:54 | More by mjl21
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.