1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

I bought this beer in anticipation of great things. I LOVE Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so had great expectations here... as I LOVE hops.

It poured a very nice amber color... clear, very nice off-white head...

It smelled of clean citrusy hops, but I don't think I picked up as much Cascade as I anticipated. Not an overpowering hop aroma.

The taste was the opposite of the aroma... Very pungent hop flavor. Wasn't as smooth as I expected. Now, I love IPA's.. and usually the more hops, the more I like it. I found this to be merely average.

It is quaffable, but not more than about 2 per session...

Overall, a nice beer, but I'll go with the regular old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale next time.

Icehouse57, May 22, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

It was a real treat to finally try this. I bought it from Whole Foods in Logan Circle. They couldn't stock it fast enough. They were out of it in about 2 weeks. They are hoping to restock it for the rest of this summer.

A: Poured it into a tulip glass. It poured with a golden amber hue with a thick white head. I didn't expect that amount of carbonation so I had to wait a minute to pour the the last few drops into the glass.

S: It smelled unbelievable! Very clean spicy citrus aroma (thought is was Cascade at first.) I let the head subside before I took a sip...

T: I have to admit, I was a little disappointed here, expecting a hop bomb from the aroma. There was almost a "soft" bitterness to it. However, after letting the beer open up for about 15 minutes, the hop bitterness and flavors really started to shine. It has a very nice malt balance to it.

M: The mouthfeel was a little slick, and it probably had a bit too much carbonation for the style.

D: Way too easy to down for a +7% abv, but really nice for sipping.

Masterson, May 21, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A-Nice amber color. Nice two finger head.

S-Citrus, pine, hops

T-Nice hop bite. Citrus notes are present.

M-Medium body, nice carbonation level-not too much or too little.

D-Couldn't session this one, but one is easily done.

Lerxst, May 21, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a chilled standard pint glass. The color is a bright copper with a lovely foamy head that lingers. The smell is a mix of pine and citrus, very floral. The taste is a nice initial blast of hops but the shift to the caramel tasting malt just doesn't strike me well and it seems to accentuate the high alcohol content. I can appreciate their effort to make it a balanced beer, it's by no means horrible. The mouthfeel in general is fine, lively. I wouldn't want to drink a sixer of this in one sitting but throwing one or two into the rotation would be very satisfying.

ThickestHead, May 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz. 2nd time having this 'Extra IPA' - first time was blindly tasted. Pours a bright orange with a nice foamy, creamy off-white head that leaves great lacing that sticks to the glass. Aromas are floral hops, citrus rind - mainly grapefruit, and pine. Initial taste is a sweet malty, biscuity backbone that is quickly taken over by the hops - grapefruit rind, and the bitterness is mild to start. Hop characteristics build though - more bitter, piny, dry, and acidic with each sip. Mouthfeel is juicy and oily - especially toward the bottom of the glass as the hop oils have coated the palate completely by now. Alcohol is well concealed throughout - not even the least bit noticeable. This is a solid American IPA, but as far as representing the style it's almost in a style of its own with its complexity and brewing techniques - close to an Imperial IPA. Price is outstanding - $6.99 for 6 - you can't beat it for a high quality brew like this!

barnzy78, May 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A - pours a deep honey amber. Thick almost latte like head that lingers to the bottom of the glass.

S - floral, citrus, loads of pine. Sweet malty background.

T - taste mimicks the smell. Right up front sharp hop bitter with a malts that hang around the finish.

M - high amount of mouth tingling carbonation. Medium/full body

D - Nice, drinkable IPA. Went great with the steak sandwich i had.

quinlin, May 19, 2009

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a deep gold, forming a massive two fingers of off-white head. Medium spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - The aroma consists entirely of hops, but does not have as strong of an aroma as I expected.

T - The palate is dominated and coated with a citrusy hop flavor, and then gives way to a noticeable malt backbone, only again to have the hops dominate in the finish.

M - Medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. The taste remains on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Very full flavor. Aside from the higher ABV, I could easily see having a few of these. Maybe not as great as it was hyped up to be, but still a good beer from Sierra Nevada.

D -

beeragent, May 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours golden amber with a caramel colored head.

The nose is very perfumy and spritzy. Herbal and floral notes are dominant with a lot of pine and hops.

This beer got better as it warmed to room temperature. Piney, hoppy, and grassy. Taste has a crisp bite to it like putting your nose in a fresh bag of cascades. Small citrus character.

Not as assertive as I'd hoped and lacking compared to many other high ranked examples of this style. This is what i would imagine a dry-hopped/hoppier SN Pale Ale would taste like.

natelocc787, May 18, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

My first sampling of this beer. In fact, sadly I have not had too much Sierra Nevada, despite the availability.

A: A very enticing semi-opaque and vibrant orange that is darkened slightly by woody brown undertones.

S: Aroma is not as hop-encompassing or complex as I suspected it might be, but perhaps my serving is a little cold (in fact I know it is).

T: Different story. Lots and lots of hops. Floral and citrus hops completely dominate the mouth (got to be a ton of Cascade, maybe Centennial in this). Very bitter in the back.

M: Crisp and tightly carbonated, though not incredibly bubbly. Hop oils slowly coat as you drink.

D: Very good, and very drinkable. Perhaps the sharp bitterness keeps this beer from being sessionable. Alcohol is incredibly well-masked.

I really enjoyed this beer. A wonderful example of the style that I will definitely seek out again.

AVDeuph, May 18, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pored a clear, light amber with a big fluffy 2 finger head that left a foamy lacing

Big pine scent with citrus and hops.

Taste matched the smell with a lingering bitter hop bite.

Mouthfeel was highly carbonated with a medium body. A hoppy, bitter IPA.

SirDrinxAlot, May 17, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

First Review so bare with me:

Poured into my Stella Artois goblet, little to no head with thin lacing. It displayed a deep amber color akin to finely polished amber gems housing a prehistoric insect.

Smells of pine and citrus with a hint of that familiar grain smell of all beers.

I am immediately hit with the bitterness of the hops but it is lacking the typical citrus after taste I am use to with other beers in the same class.

Mouthfeel is thin and does not linger on the palette although the sting of the bitterness stays with you, which I happen to like.

Overall I like it, though I prefer others in the same style which have a strong citrus aftertaste that match the smell better. Like previous posters states its availability, price, and drink ability make it a win for me and would certainly pick up a sixer of this to share with my friends.

Tetano, May 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Another solid offering in Sierra Nevada's ubiquitous line of craft brews. Pours a pretty orange-mahogany with a tan, foamy head. I smell alcohol, hops, and citrus. Taste is somewhat citrusy, too, with a lingering bitterness. I've had better IPA's, but since this one can be found at every grocery and convenience store in my area, I'll surely crack my share of them this summer...

troutmask96, May 16, 2009

Pours a nice deep amber with a head that looks like it was scooped up fresh from the base of Niagara Falls. The lacing reminds me of the middle of a game of Space Invaders, but one where the space invaders win.

The nose is pure pine with some fruity undertones but it could be stronger.

At first blush I'm puzzled by the taste. It's there but almost not there. Strong and yet weak.

Now that I think about it I guess with the promise of an "Extra" IPA I was bracing my taste buds for impact and they were ducking for cover on the first sip. But it wasn't the over-the-top hop bomb I was expecting.

Anyway, now that I'm past that it's actually a really nice, finely balanced, bold and juicy tasting IPA. Like--you guessed it--grapefruit juice, specifically. The malts are of caramel and biscuit. The hops are piney and herbal and in good balance, and while it's definitely bitter, it's actually somewhat restrained for an IPA. Which is fine by me because this is a delicious beer. It lacks some degree of depth or complexity but, really, that just serves to make it highly drinkable for times when you just want to session an IPA while watching a ball game, say.

Medium bodied and almost creamy mouthfeel and a nice clean finish.

MeisterBurger, May 14, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Copper to deep amber, crystal clear with a rich thick head that makes it through almost half of the experience

S: A good amount of piney, hop character with some light citrus and pepper notes. I'm actually pretty excited by this point

T: Ugh. What happened to all of that hop goodness that was just in my nasal cavity? Heavy malt presence followed up by what comes across as unripe grapefruit and then an awful boozy finish. The alcohol presence in this one is less than subtle.

M: Thin, heavily carbonated and peppery on the tongue. The alcohol resonates in the back of the throat.

Overall, I was extremely dissapointed in this beer. I was expecting something more along the lines of an imperial/double IPA but should have paid closer attention to the ABV. It's thin, overly carbonated but on the plus side it goes with just about anything and you could easily down six of these in a sitting if you're not careful just because of the overall clean finish. However, I won't seek this out again.

jdflyer06, May 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz. bottle.

Hard pour gets a beautiful head to rise up, just a little more than two fingers worth of off-white frothiness. Beer is a clear copper color. Little bubbles rise to the top in single-file lines. Nice lacing the whole time, as well.

Smells phenomenal. A bouquet of citrus hops, with a little bit of floral and maybe piney for good measure. The citrus is really what is coming through for me. My favorite!

Taste is right on for the smell. Right on for what I want in an IPA. The hops are all there, all in harmony with one another, and there's a good malt backbone behind it, imparting just a hint of sweetness. So nicely balanced, just a little bit of bitter and the rest is flavor.

Good, full mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated. I could probably go on drinking these all night, but probably would get a little bit of taste bud fatigue after the third. Wouldn't stop me from reaching for another one, though. The alcohol would probably catch me a buzz after just a couple, but it certainly weighs in a little lower than some comparable IPAs, which is nice.

Easily to find, not outrageously priced, and absolutely delicious, this beer has a place in my fridge or at any gathering I'm attending. Because it's not overly bitter, might be a good introduction to the style for people who would like the type of IPAs I like.

JimmieFrisbee, May 12, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I found it to be sold out in at my go to store, but since I saw the last six pack in a store in Chicago I had to get it.

Pours very foamy. Nice large foam. Honey colored.

Hoppy smell. Has lots of IPA smell.

Bright hop with some long lasting grapefruit. Sweetness backs it but really firmly on the bitter end. Hints of Guava or green Mango fruit. I want to call it balanced...

The problem is that the bitterness isn't something that goes away. It could be that it's so fresh it hasn't toned down much.

On it's own it's bitterness makes it challenging for my pallet.
That's the only drinkability detriment.
There's no doubt that this is ripe for spicy polynesian food. Don't go buffalo wings, class it up.

Dotcubed, May 12, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

The pour produces a nice 1" head which dissipates somewhat quickly. The color is deep golden.

Nice hit of hops to the nose, which made me very optimistic right out of the gate. Initially delicious, but after a few seconds the finish gets even more bitter than I expected from a DIPA. Overall I'm struggling with my opinion of this beer. The price is right for a DIPA and I will probably buy another six to continue my evaluation, but as of now I give it a somewhat hesitant thumbs up.

BrianOhio, May 12, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

350ml bottle bought from Tuckers Maltings...

Poured a nice golden coppery orange colour. Creamy head with orange tinges poured quite thick then faded quickly to light ring around the edge. Light carbonation... light lacing lines...

Aroma - Spicy juicy fruits (apricots, limes, oranges), piney / grassy hops, some caramel sweetness, biscuity maltes, perfumey, some light almond nuttiness, toasted bread...

Taste - Quite sharp spicy, piney / floral hop bitterness, toasty / biscuity maltiness, light honey / caramel sweetness, good fruitiness (oranges and limes), buttery notes, light medicinal hints, perfumey, sea salt traces, some metallic hints...

M&D - Quite sharp initially then mellows out. Light / medium bodied... Very quaffable..

Overall - Another excellent brew from SN... definitely recommended..

mdagnew, May 11, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have been looking for this beer for some time, most places only have the pale ale and the seasonal so I am happy to be able to review it.

A- Copper colored ale with nice head and amazing retention/lacing.

S- Piney hops is the main thing in the nose, I don't notice much else, less than impressive smell in comparison to their harvest pale ale.

T- Wow, this is a delicious resinous, piney, and slightly citrusy beer. So well balanced that I may have a new favorite non-luxury (>10+ sixer) single ipa. The finish has an interesting mineral flavor.

M- Oily and creamy, this beer does have a great feel to it, medium to full bodied with a hardness to it.

D- Well the alcohol is a bit high, however this is not an ultra-heavy brew, definitely sessionable, yet not really the way I like to drink it as after two you don't taste the hops as well.

I wish this was available at more liquor stores around me, as great as finest kind ipa is, this is a very welcome change of pace. I know the east coast/west coast ipa debate will rage on, I love both and think they complement each other very well. I will get this when I find it.

cheapxceptbeer, May 11, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought a sixer of this last week and though I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I've neglected to review it until now, the final bottle. I had never heard of this until I saw it at the local Harris Teeter last week. I like my SN so of course I tried it and it lived up to my expectations though didn't exceed them by much.

The hue is a bright orange with a thick, bubbly tan head and citrus hop flavored nose. The head lasts at a half inch for quite a while and is pretty impressive. I expect excellent lace.

Bitter pine and citrus form the dominant flavors here. Unlike the recently reviewed Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop ale, this is unabashedly unbalanced. I'm sure there is malt in there, but I really don't taste it. The texture is thick with medium carbonation and a bit of alcohol burn in thew aftertaste.

This one is SN's salute to all the hop homies out there.

daliandragon, May 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Label is classic Sierra Nevada, green this time, and the center picture depicts rows of hop plants in a field. 9 digit number printed on the label, but not clear on the brewed on date.

Appearance: Pours with 3 plus fingers of off white head. This settles somewhat, but still maintains a massive cap on the beer. As everything eventually settles, nice, puffy lacing remains. The beer itself is amber, trending towards red, with an ever so slight haze. No sediment in he bottle.

Smell: Dry hop aromas abound, grapefruit, citrus, and pine upfront against a semi sweet malt backdrop.

Taste: Bold and powerful hop flavors of pine and grapefruit, with an subtle, bubblegum like sweetness. Some hop bitterness in the finish, but the dry hops linger so long and so well, that it is still not the predominant flavor.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level, high enough to prevent this from being cloying. Body is good.

Drinkability: Another fine example of a higher ABV, dry hopped beer. Life is certainly good for all the hopheads out there right now.

beveritt, May 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

This is only the second time I've stumbled across a sixer of the Torpedo. Seems to be selling like hotcakes, or faster even, since I don't know where to get hotcakes. Anyway, the pour is a crystal clear light amber brew with a dense head and great lacing. So crisp and clear. The aroma and flavor are full of quintessential Sierra Nevada goodness. They've got a very distinct approach to the hop - citrus, pine, ripe fruit. Tastes very familiar, yet unique. Nice toasty caramel malt body to back this one up as well. Amazingly crisp and quenching. A great beer to always have in the fridge. I'll definitely pick it up anytime I see it.

twelvsies, May 09, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

For a commercial-microbrewery I think the pale ale put out by Sierra Nevada is one of the best, which led me to believe this beer would follow suit, sad to say i was wrong.

The color is a red-copper, with a soft head that dissipates quickly. Floral hops dominate the nose with a hint of pine. It has a hoppy taste but not near what I expected, the maltiness rounds out the end of a flavor that leaves a lot to be desired. A light to medium mouth feel lets the flavor of this beer go away quickly.

Maybe I had my hopes set too high for this beer, or maybe its just not that great.

brewbasterd, May 09, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a shiny new penny with a good head and decent lacing.

aroma is citrus but fades rather quickly

taste is awesome big sharp but clean hop bite with a big malt following

feel is nearly perfect well carbonated with a good finish.
this is one of the better ipa's

peck95, May 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: pale copper, good clarity, huge layer of dense cream-colored foam with great head retention and eventually a rocky top, lots of lace on the glass

Aroma: spicy, citrusy, earthy, piney, perfumey, appley, malty (that's a lot of -y, but its complex hop aromatics are difficult to single out!)

Flavor: medium malt sweetness gets bowled over by a pithy hop bitterness and a grassy hop flavor; the bitterness is scrumptious and not overpowering; it is lip-smacking and damn tasty; finishes semisweet with caramelly malt and lush hops riding tandem in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, creamy carbonation, soft texture, slight astringency

SCRUMPTIOUS!

GreenCard, May 09, 2009
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.