Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz Express mart Plattsburgh, Ny

A:Nice semi dark IPA

S: kinda sweet, pine, with a hint of citric

T: balanced with a nice bitter kick

M: Full, slightly thick

D: Average

Overall: very impressed and at 6.99 per 6 pack a bargain

smsub185k, Apr 12, 2009

A-orange/amber...decent clarity

S-Very perfumey....Also Sweet floral and fruity notes...caramel malt also evident

T-At first I thought this as jagged and abrasive with the hops...but I am now adjusting my scores and comments after purchasing a full sixer....I'd describe the hops as more floral/perfumy and almost English IPAish in nature....very tasty in its own way...

M-Medium bodied..

D-I just basically re-wrote this review...sometimes it takes more than one to make an impression...this is a top notch solid IPA with a different twist to the hop flavor and aroma than most...plenty of bitterness on the finish but not unbalanced at all....very nice beer....

ZAP, Apr 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours a rusty amber color with extra fine floating particles in the liquid. A very light beige 1/2" loose head with nice visible carbonation. Nice smattered sheets of lace all the way down.

I got a clean whiff of this baby from 2 feet away once the cap was popped. Upon being poured into my large mouthed stemmed chalice, the aroma of cascade hops was unavoidable. Grapefruit and pine, the angelic elements of a whole-cone highly hopped beer. A teasing amount of succulent sweet malt rides the edges while the hops caress and flirt for what is soon to come...

...Ahh. The hop bonanza that was just smelled translates two-fold into the realm of taste. A fantastic rendition of extra dry and juicy hops simultaneously greets the pallet with grace and poise. The hop flavors are compressed and do not blow-up your mouth. A restrained ushering of finely crafted bitter, fruity and tangy hops fill the mouth and do not dissipate until after a long while. The malt profile seems to be a bit elevated from what I perceived in the smell, but in a way that doesn't take away for the hops whatsoever.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an unbelievable extra-extra fine carbonation that just blows me away. Dry and flavorful (long) finish. No chalky leftovers from the hops too.

Drinkability is spectacular. I will be buying more of this in the fall when it comes out again!

I was utterly surprised by this beer. It almost reminds me of Ruination, but with more poise and polish. It's a perfect marriage of an English IPA and a high-octane West coast IPA. My hat is off to Sierra Nevada once again!

malty, Apr 11, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

12oz bottle at Headkeeper, Greensburg PA.

Appearance: typical amber IPA with nice head that lingered throughout drink.

Smell: Pine, Citrus and Malt. Very nice and inviting smell. I could just smell this all day long and be happy.

Taste: Unfortunately the smell was better than the taste. Piney with a strong bitter aftertaste that I did not like. Dry malt backing that showed more as it warmed and this eased the bitterness a bit. Still, there was a Metallic taste that I just did not like.

Overall: Not impressed. Torpedo tastes like a lot of IPA's that are out there now. Nothing differentiates this and I am a little disappointed with this offering from Sierra Nevada.

Kolsch, Apr 11, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Nice golden brown with a rocky off-white head.
S :: Hoppy, floral and citrus. Noticeable malts (not overdone) and a little spice that I can't place. Definitely hits you with hops but not too much.
T :: First I got the biscuit malty sweetness that closed out with a nice hop bitterness and a hint of citrus (mostly grapefruit).
M :: Clean, crisp, moderate carbonation. I didn't have that hop oil slickness left in my mouth.
D :: This is one I could enjoy outside on a nice warm day though after a few the ABV, while disquised, might smack you for it.

mday, Apr 11, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer snifter

A: Orange amber color, one finger of foam after a moderate pour

S: Piney, grapefruit, strong hop nose

T: Delicious piney hop flavor, balanced by a malt backbone, truly wonderful.

M: Smooth, slightly fizzy

D: I love this beer. Strong hop bitterness is refreshing to my palate.

FickleBeast, Apr 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a standard pint.

A: Deep amber color. Low carbonation pours into to finger and a half, frothy, off-white head. Settles slowly, foam clings to the sides of the glass as it does. Eventually dissipates to the point of leaving a nice blanket layer of carbonation on the surface of your brew. Thick, sticky, substantial lacing stays behind, and becomes a permanent beer artifact.

S: Sweet syrupy malt, strong hoppy goodness, honey and a bit of pine.

T: Well, hops are the story here. Mean, angry hops and pine nuts. A bit of lemon citrus sneaks in as well.

M: Sharp but light bodied. Hops assault the palette, and linger throughout the quaff. Dry finish.

D: This is a sipper. Solid flavor, but hops are the order of the day.

Very good atmosphere. Appearance is impressive, and although basic, the nose is full. Same with the flavor. Not much to say, simple but fulfills it's purpose. Feel is harsh and dry, but what do you expect from a 7.2% alcohol IPA. Does have good drinkability for a beer of this type. Definitely a sipping beer. Good quaff.

bmwats, Apr 11, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Opened the bottle and the smell of hops hit me. Always a great sign of a great IPA. Taste like what a good IPA would on steroids. Torpedo would best describe how the smell and taste come at you. Poured to a golden color that was clear to see through. Goes down very easy. Glad it was on sale at Wegmans as I picked up 3 six packs of it.

Arnone10, Apr 10, 2009

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a clear, medium range, copper color. Three-finger head head of fluffy off-white foam. Retention is very good. Lacing is spotty, but very sticky.

Big nose of citrus fruits. Large grapefruit presence. Very light touch of caramel malts. Slight grass notes.

Citrus hops explosion. Not nearly the amount of hops bitterness that was expected. There is some bitterness here, it just more mellow than anticipated. Notes of yellow grapefruit. Slight presence of malty sweetness, but it's way down deep.

Good medium body. It's smooth and a slight touch to the creamy side. I was expecting it to be more crisp and sharp. The carbonation is very well blended, in this one. You almost don't notice it.

This is a very solidly drinkable brew. It's too hoppy for me, personally, but I see why people like it. If nothing else were available, I could down a couple of these, without complaint.

coldmeat23, Apr 09, 2009

On the pour, this beer had a one finger, foamy head atop a clear, deep yellow body. The head lasted a while, and left a good amount of lacing.

Aroma was of citrus hops, a little grassy, with hints of cinnamon (which surprised me). Nice pale malts were in the background, and played a supporting role, but the hops were the star.

Taste was initially quite bitter, with more pine than citrus flavors. Hop resins came out next, and it became slightly astringent. This beer was not sweet, and the malts were masked by the hops. Being a hophead, I did not mind.

Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy, but with a little bit of a pucker.

Good marks for drinkability. Although it was not quite what I expected, I liked it quite a bit. I don't think it would make a good session beer, with the higher ABV, but I would be able to have two or three at a party and have a wonderful time.

connecticutpoet, Apr 09, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked up a couple bottles at Sango Liquors in Clarksville, TN on my way home from work (kinda out of my way, but it was a nice day for a drive) and put in my mini fridge for three hours so it's chilled just enough. Poured into a Pint Glass. A nice three inch head forms on top of the beer. Awesome looking brew. I love IPAs but I find this one a bit different in the taste. I guess this is what's called a West Coast IPA. I've had IPAs from Bells (Two-Hearted) and Short's (Huma Lupa Licious) and would prefer them to this one. I can't put my finger on the taste, but it is different but in a good way. Maybe a bit over hyped, but it's still a very good beer. I might chill the other one a bit longer before enjoying it. I am glad I tried this IPA but I don't think it will be my go-to IPA.

cadizkyguy, Apr 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a light brownish amber with a slight tannish head. It's got a solid smell of floral hops. It's got a solid medium-high body. It's hoppy-bitter-hoppy-great. Super citrussy hop flavor but not over assaultingly so. It leaves a delightful flavor behind. This one is quite a drinkable IPA. Sierra Nevada rarely disappoints, and this is no different.

jeremyd365, Apr 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

A very fine beer from a very fine brewery. This bottle poured beautifully - dark amber color with a near-perfect thick, sticky head. Fresh, hoppy smell to accompany a similar taste. This beer definitely has a little extra kick compared to your average American IPA, but in a world of increasingly hoppy, increasingly alcoholic beers of this style, Sierra Nevada does a nice job of finding some balance in this quality brew. I was even more impressed since my six-pack cost the same as the "regular" SN IPA. I'm looking forward to enjoying the other five...

PhillyMonk, Apr 09, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass.

Nice head that dissipated after a sip or two.

Crystal clear bronze copper color. Carbonation rising after each sip. Looks beautiful in front of a light.

Smell - Like SNPA. Very similar. Not impressive but distinct. I believe I could tell this was a Sierra Nevada brew just by smell alone.

Taste - Hops present but lightly balanced by the citrusy flavors. Its taste and drinkable seems to improve after first few drinks.

Mouthfeel - Bitter carbonation at first, to smooth IPA goodness about halfway in. It has a tendency to cling to your tongue after ingestion.

Drinkability - This could prove well as a session beer. Weighing in at a 7.2% could catch up quick. It seems to go down quick enough to drink more than intended.

OVERALL - A very decent brew. With its cheap price and drink ability it could go far in a night. I would love to have this at a bar on tap paired with some hot wings or pizza.

crazeguy, Apr 08, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Wow, golden copper color with beautiful lace down the glass. Aroma of mostly caramel for me. Lots of grapefruit and pine. Awesome crisp finish. I love this beer. I will always have a six pack of this in my fridge. Very drinkable. After Three Floyds Pride And Joy my favorite session pale ale/IPA.

atpben, Apr 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Review #200, I have always been a malthead, but, trying to get into hoppy beers now.

A: NIce inviting ruby amber, great puffy creamy foam cap, long lasting, nice lace.

S: Citrusy hops, floral.

T: Was expecting to have my socks knocked of with bitterness, but, not so. Lightly bitter hops, with slightly sour grapefruit. Some hints of malt sweetness up front.

M: A little oily, meduim body. Bitterness hangs around until the next sip.

D: Still trying to dig the hop thing. Not sure if I'd be real big stringing a couple of these together yet. Nice change, however, from my bocks.

KI9A, Apr 08, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Some sort of bottling code but no clear date. It was slightly haze bronze color with some bits floating around. Some slow carb and some lacing. Had a good sized off-white head that slowly settled into a thin foam and thick collar.

The aroma was outstanding. Heavy on the floral and citric hops. Nice hop smack that arouses the senses. The taste was also excellent. Starts off with good amount of hops and then builds to nice bitter hop finish. Aftertaste lingers for a bit and then mostly resets for next drink. By then end you do start to get some tongue shredding but not too bad. Mouthfeel was hurt a little by some over carbonation.

Overall, an excellent beer that I highly recommend. Worthy of the hype. Since it's so strong it's would work best as the only beer of the night or as an ender. For me, a six pack once or twice a year is good.

[OC,6,T]

TexIndy, Apr 08, 2009

Picked up a bottle of this and just like others...VERY high expectations. I would say that this one fell short of the expectation but was absolutely a really really nice IPA.

A- Dark amber color. Cream colored head. The head stuck around for the duration of the beer. Nice film of foam on top covering the entire brew. Lacing.

S- Fresh piney hops. Very herbal and earthy. Did not get that citrus kick I was expecting from the nose. Medicinal at times but grassy and aggressively hoppy.

T- Hmm...I was expecting some more bitter notes from the hops. Got more citrus in the flavor rather than the nose. More hops than your average IPA but I still feel as though they could have kicked it up a notch. Still, a solid tasty brew.

M- Eh, pretty good. Wished it were more creamy. Tingly and carbonated, average mouthfeel.

D- Easy drinking IPA that is more aggressively hopped than your average IPA. Good stuff, I'll have some more.

DavidSeanNJ, Apr 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a clear deep gold copper the head is very minimal and dissipates rather quickly to a lacing.

Pine dominates the smell with citrus to boot. nice and mouthwatering.

Not quite as intense as I was expecting with the taste. Very nice amount of hoppyness the citrus is more present here with the pine taking a bit of a back seat. Herbal flavors are also present.

Low carbonation and not quite intense flavors make this an almost sessionable IPA. Very easy on the palate and good crisp finish.

I really like this one and would def. recommend this to anyone looking to get into IPAs before they have the intense hop bombs out there.

bfields4, Apr 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

High expectations for this one... Clear copper with a dense head of chunky, sticky foam. Nose is pungent pine and tangerines, and a bit of honey. Solidly bitter, but not overwhelming. Hops have a bit of a raw edge - pine more than citrus. Well balanced sweetness and a medium body. Very drinkable. Warms up to a bit of a grain in the nose and a whiff of alcohol, a bit more citrus flavour and a smoother body.

allergictomacros, Apr 07, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a crystal clear deep orange with very few bubbles rising through. Huge rocky off-white head on top that stayed throughout the drink like the top of a milkshake. Decent lacing globs on edge.

Smelled of citrus and some pine. Floral tones as well. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. I did not like that at all. Very weak. Carbonation level was low. Nice crisp hop bitterness right off the bat and throughout the entire drink. Not harsh at all though. Definitve citrus play.

I liked this beer, but the mouthfeel could be better.

Onenote81, Apr 06, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a goblet because I felt like it.

4.5 A: Clear orange amber color. Good healthy head with above average retention and a lot of lacing.

3.5 S: Cat piss bomb. I like strong smells over no smell all the time, regardless of what the strong smell is (usually). Anyway, really hoppy.

4.0 T: Lots of hop flavor. Good hop bitterness to back it up, but the emphasis is on the flavor. Flavor is citrusy, piney, and cat pissy. Still very good and unbalance like a good IPA should be.

4.5 M: Good and creamy, which is want I demand in an IPA. Very good.

4.0 D: I don't mind the cat pissness of the beer, but I can see it getting old after a while. Still, I'd easily drink quite a few of these.

DavoleBomb, Apr 06, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Not sure what the new hopping process is with this brew, but I'm interested in trying it.
Pours a pretty deep copper color with a rocky head that sticks around for the life of the beer.
Smells hoppy for sure. Definitely some cannabis-like overtones in there. Not much of malty sweet smell, but the hops are about as potent as you could expect.
The taste, while hoppy, actually has a lot of hops flavors I don't really care for. Along with the pine, grapefruit, and floral flavors, there's a deep bitter earthiness that keeps popping up. It's distracting, and I'm not really a fan of it. There's a malt base that creeps out with each sip, but there's so little sweetness in this beer, balance clearly wasn't what they were shooting for.
Texture is nice and this is pretty good for a single serving, but one bottle's enough.
The idea behind this is nice, but there are hop flavors in there I don't really want. The pure bitter hops are also a little boring after about 1/2 glass. A DIPA malt base or some different (fruitier) hops would've worked better for me.
I definitely prefer Celebration as far as SN IPA's go. Reminds me of the attempt at an English IPA from a few years ago. Just make Celebration a normal offering instead of these other IPA variations.

Domingo, Apr 06, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

This had a nice rich deep copper amber color. The citrus and floral could be taken in right off the nose. The beer itself is pretty big but the abv is balanced nicely. The hop selection used in Sierra beers is always awesome. Great beer overall defiantly worth grabbing a 6 pack if you see it out!

FarmHouseJam, Apr 06, 2009

A- Pours a nice light amber-gold color with big, thick head. Great head and retention. Laces very well.

S- Lots of hops. Citrus, floral, and pine notes. Great, great aroma... at first. The hop aroma here seems to fade as it goes on and is replaced by a skunky herbal/faint urine smell. It's faint, but definitely there (and not just skunked beer--different). It's been in all of them I've had to date. Maybe it's the herbal hops, but that part does not do it for me. EDIT: Having this again proves to me that this is among the best value beers around. Nice fruity, hoppy aroma here.

T- Big punch of bittering hops and piney notes at first. Slight hint of alcohol, but very slight. Just a taste of orange zest and a bit of malty sweetness (just a bit) for balance. As far as IPAs go, this is pretty good. To me it fits right in between IPA and DIPA (hence "extra" IPA).

M- Smooth, medium bodied, creamy (while still being crisp, I know). Good stuff.

D- I can't stomach more than a few of these--I like a lot of hops, but I can't put down a ton of these in a night. Definitely a good sipper, IMO.

Another strong one from SN. Not exactly the second coming, but good.

LordAdmNelson, Apr 06, 2009
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.