Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Clear and amber orange. Nice fluffy head that's almost nitroesque.

S: Not a strong smell, but what's there is quite nice. Everything good about an IPA smell nothing bad, yet the smell is too faint for my ol factory senses to get specific. :(

T: What's strange about this one is the taste is nearly all in the aftertaste. Ok, maybe some in the middle there. The quality, that I dont like in IPA's exists in this one, however it's not too strong, which is the type of bitterness in the aftertaste. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'm thinking pesticides or something. Maybe that is what I'm tasting, but somehow I doubt it. Maybe it's the type of hops or malt.

The middle is nice though. Not bitter and smooth. Almost ambery.

M: The middle is nice and smooth but the aftertaste sits in my mouth the wrong way.

D: A worthy beer, but not my favorite IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Moment: a relaxing Sunday afternoon in June...
Glassware: Howard's Pub pint...
Appearance: burnt orange body; thick, crunchy white head that holds well as the glass drains--attractive lacing...
Aroma: spruce and pine--ALL Pacific scents are imported in this as expected--and its intensity preceeds the heightened hops...
Palate: thick, big and full-bodied but deceptively smooth to the sip--the magic is its balance of boldness and drinkability...
Taste: sweetness of caramel with the bitterness of Cascade hops--pleasantly palatable and robust with a dryness that encourages a second glass...
Overall: Sweet and tart--a killer combination that grows in its pleasure, with a warming effect that does not put its ABV on trial..could see this sneaking up on me at a get-together or a slow evening...only catch? Still love the pale ale better, SN gents!

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Pours a hazy brown/amber color with a large head (off-white) that has great staying power. Sticky lacing covers the pint glass.

S- Mainly citrus, but some pine and hints of malt round out the aroma. Not as pronounced as I would like.

T- Same as above, but the bitter hops (pine) is the star. A little malt sweetness shows up in the finish.

M- Even with the above average level of carbonation, the beer never seems thin. It has a nice medium feel.

D/O- This is sort of the standard SNPA on roids. I could probably have two or three of these before I got bored with the bitterness. It's a well crafted beer that is worth a try if you're gun-ho for IPAs. I'll probably just stick with the standard Pale Ale if I need a SN fix in the near future. Cheers.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

350 ml bottle, bought at Systembolaget, Sweden. ABV is 7.2%. Deep golden to orange colour, big off-white head. Lovely aroma of citrussy, herbal and piney American hops, hints of caramel too. Intense flavour of hops, piney and grapefruity notes, distinct bitterness, but I can live with it. Some malty sweetness too. Not bad!

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Perfectly clear, big rocky head, light copper color.

Smell: Little hop aroma, can smell some caramel malt.

Taste: Exceptional. Hopped more like a DIPA than an IPA

Mouthfeel: Medium malt background, a little residual sweetness yet dry like a classic Sierra Nevada.

Drinkability: probably only 1-2 at a time, definitely a beer to sip and savor a bit.

I need to try this side by side with SN Celebration to pick out the differences and to decide which I like better.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had quite a few bottles of this prior to reviewing, so I know what to expect. This one is the last of a six-pack I bought about a month ago. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A thick, 2-finger head is retained nicely. Rather impressive lacing, too. Color is a golden amber and relatively clear.

Smell: Bready and hoppy. A seemingly simple, to-the-point brew in terms of aroma.

Taste: Bitter. The bitterness was not present in the nose. Piney hops dominate the flavor profile before giving way to a subtle malty sweetness. Just a solid all-around IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Fresh, smooth, and crisp. The body does not overwhelm the palette and the alcohol is certainly presented within context.

Drinkability: Goes down easily, leaving the drinker wanting more.

Notes: It's nice to have an available, affordable, "go-to" beer. The fact that many of Sierra Nevada's beers (Pale Ale and Celebration Ale come to mind) have achieved this status is pretty impressive. Torpedo is just one example...

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle.

Pours a clear orangeish gold with a nice foamy white head that sticks for a bit before receding. It leaves some decent lacing.

It has a nice aroma. There is a heightened hop presence here over say an SNPA. There are nice herbal pine and citrus accents along with some subtle sweetness.

The taste has the signature SN yeast and malt flavors with some piney bitter hops to go along. I have always found SN ales to have a bit of a solely bitter taste, it isn't a hoppy bitterness, just straight up bitter flavor.

It is a decent take on the IPA, nice bitterness level though not really out of balance with the strong malt presence.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Maybe my bottle wasn't that fresh, I couldn't find a date on it anywhere but the clerk at the store said it had only been in store for 4 days.

Appearance: Very cloudy opaque brownish orange. Tiny bubbles, pretty much no lacing, a thin film head, even after a strong pour.

Nose is bitter pine hops, not really much aroma

Taste is ok pretty good dry bitter hops, i get mostly pine not much citrus and no floral, a little alc on the finish. Surprisingly brown sugar malt is present throughout.

Moutfeel is quite good, the dry hops and strong carbonation are very refreshing, a little heavier body than I expected.

Drinkability is mediocre, I just dont get enough hop character/flavors out of it to enjoy more that one.

I will have to look for this fresh somewhere, might be hard on the east coast....

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Firestone pint glass.

A. Orangish color with a big fluffy head. Great lacing like all of Sierra Nevada beers.

S. Strong hop aroma. Almost made my eyes water. It is not as strong as Celebration but stong none the less. Pine and floral aromas.

T. Good beer, hoppy but not quite enough citrus flavor for me. Toasty malt flavors. Can taste the crystal malt.

M. Very bitter. This beer has the signature Sierra Nevada dry mouthfeel but more of it.

D. This beer is a little to dry for me to have a bunch in one sitting.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A nice tawny orange. A nice head to it too. About an inch thick rocky head.
S- Smell is of citrus hops. A little more subdued than i expected, and lacked the malt backbone I hoped for.
T- Taste starts with the citrus/grapefruit hop flavor. The pale malt makes a presence here as it fades away hoppy. Much more well rounded than the scent suggested.
M- Full bodied ipa, with a bit of alcohol tinge on the tongue. Dry finish.
D- At 7.2 it's no lawn mower beer. Torpedo is definitely like SNPA 2.0, but it serves as a well balanced IPA. A good beer when you want something just a little more from SN compared to the pale ale.
last edit: 7/31/10

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice orange appearance. Good head and lacing. Hoppy aroma. Pine, lemon and orange zest, a hint of grapefruit. Pine hops to start. Not too overpowering, but strong. Grassy and a bit bitter. Also some lemon and grapefruit zest which balances out the other hops nicely. A little sweet caramel malt comes around at the end, but doesn't take away from the hoppy product.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color. A big white head, with good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Quite a bit of hops here. Spicey, citrus and piney hops with a very nice strong malt back bone.

T- Very well balanced here. A nice hop taste with a great malt back bone. A good amount of bitterness but nothing over powering.

M- Medium in body and good carbonation.

D- Easy to drink. Has about everything you could want, great taste and great price.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

appearance- an very nice amber color with minimal head, that leaves a tiny amount of lacing.

smell- a weak hop smell.

taste- the bitter hits you right away and then fades quick.

mouthfeel- a carbnation mouthfeel

drinkability- an easy drink could have a couple with no problem.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

I got this at the class six at Travis AFB last week.

Appearance- amber color, nice head

Smell- hops, very nice

Taste- hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This was really good. I would say it would probably be a standard IPA for me to drink. I enjoyed it a lot.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Never reviewed this beer before because it is one of my "go-to" beers that I drink on the regular. I decided to review this time because this happened to be the best tasting and most fresh batch I think I've ever tasted. This had to have been bottled no longer than a week ago. Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden colr with a beautiful head that slowly minimizes. The smell on this batch of Torpedo is AMAZING. Definitely one of the strongest floral scents I have ever gotten out of an IPA. Along with strong hop and citrus smell. Upon touching my tongue I get immediate sweetness...a bit of candy sugars along with honey. Then followed by a strong bitter citrusy backbone. Then the sweetness comes back and lingers on the back of the tongue for a bit. The mouthfeel is close to perfect with a nice chewiness to it, but crisp at the same time. I really really really enjoyed this Torpedo. If only all the batches could taste like this.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Dusty honey-coloured beer with ridiculous amounts of bubbles and a huge expansive head which insists on sticking around. Heavy lacing.

S: Impressive. Crisp hops dominate the nose, buttressed by heavy citrus and faint pine.

T: Huh. It's really good, but not quite what I expected. The taste is quite mellow and smooth, with a gentle sweetness rounding out the flavour. The hops are present, of course, but as a subtle compliment to the malty main body. The aftertaste is really the only place bitterness appears as piney hops leave the mouth just a tad dry.

M: Pleasant. As described in the taste, the mouthfeel is mostly malty and smooth, with a hoppy dryness toward the tail end.

D: Quite good, though all told I think I prefer Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Torpedo is a bit stronger than I realised, but this is a point in its favour, I feel. Recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Produces a great two finger thick head that is off white in color, and retains quite well. The body is orange gold and pretty hazy.

The aroma is light but floral and citrus characteristics are what stand out the most.

The taste is well balanced with bitter and citrus tasting hops on the forefront, but a hint of toffee is there too.

Torpedo feels medium in body, has crisp and lively carbonation that leaves the palate satisfied thirst.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

POured into a Guinness pint glass from a 12 oz bottle

A- golden color with a big white head

S- pine, citrus and hope, a little bit of honey

T- hop and caramel malts in the finish, and lime

M- nice carbonation, a lot if bitterness

d- I could drink a six pack with no problem, I love SierraNevada brews

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

beer pours a deep honey/copper colour with slight tan head

aroma - pine, honey, grapefruit, hops

taste - hops upfront, pine, grapefruit, honey

Mouthfeel - bitter upfront, good carbonation, medium bodied, slightly sweet & syrupy middle, bitter again on the back end

drinkability - one or two of these on a hot night would suffice

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance - is rich orange-honey amber with an excellent beigish head and great retention. Fantastic lacing!!!

Smell - is of citrus, hops, pine, some light malt and yeastiness

Taste/Mouthfeel - sweet on the front end aided by the malt. Hoppy and bitter and the back with a dry almost astringent finish. Mouthfeel is think and coating with medium/low carbonation

Drinkability - One is just fine any more than two and you're pushing it. You just won't taste much of anything after two of these.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. Tasting notes from late August 2009.

A: Pours absolute amber orange with three fingers of dimply head. I don't see any rising carbonation. Settles to a quarter inch, bone colored. 4

S: Resinous pine and sweet citrus, there might be some very feety malt in the background. A bit floral. 4

T: Hops, hops, orange rind, and grapefruit astringency. Like a grapefruit seed facial cleanser I once used. I could wash my face with this. Sweeter as it warms but still finishes with coating bitter grapefruit. 4

M: A little oily, slick, coating. 4

D: Overall; not really balanced, a bit more malt wouldn't hurt this beer. I enjoy it however and will re-review next time I get some. 3.5

6/15/10, 12oz bottle, Sam Adams glass, bottled on 11 April 2010 or '0111'. Current scores reflect this more recent review, as my palate has changed significantly.

This is a great looking IPA, and in the Sam Adams glass the pour turned out perfectly with a solid three fingers of yellowed ivory head on top of the glistening orange copper body. The lacing is fantastic.

While not nearly as intense in aroma or taste as my first time out with this beer, I still get lovely big grapefruit rounds that have been zested. Now, however, I can tell that there is malt and that that malt has a biscuit character.

The flavor is still big on grapefruit and I now pick up lemon zest, biscuit, mint, and something rougher that might be tobacco-like. The bitterness is still big but doesn't destroy me.

It's dry without being thin and I think that the carbonation helps there. Last night I had my first Oskar Blues Gordon and the carbonation was a real problem; more bubbles would have made it a vastly more enjoyable drink.

I love these 7% American IPAs for the most part and I usually get more of a buzz than I'd like from them.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Pours topaz/amber with a small off-white head. Great lacing on the glass as I swirl.

S- Lemon and grapefruit come through first. A hint of orange. Very herbal and floral. Bready malt backs everything up.

T- Piney resinous bitterness, lemons, grapefruit, and an herbal quality that I find in most Sierra Nevadas...with bready malt to balance. Not intense or in-your-face, but a solid effort here.

M- Medium bodied, nice bite from the hops, palatable. Not particularly rich, but this is an IPA.

D- I see myself picking up a couple six packs over the summer as a nice, easy drinking IPA (especially at such a cheap price). I could drink a few of these on a nice summer day.

Overall, I like it. A good beer for summer. I don't think they need to call it an "Extra IPA", as this is more of a standard version in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium-dark shade of amber with a substantial amount of off-white head and very good lacing.

S - Grapefruit, pine, and tart orange

T - Citrus hops are detected within a nanosecond, and a fair amount of creamy, sweet malts quickly follow. This adds just the right amount of offset to the stunningly bitter hops, which are dominant throughout. The finish is pine and a lot of it - distinctive, refreshing, and truly a thing of beauty. It continues on the palate for minutes.

M - Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, and delightfully crisp. So fresh and so clean clean.

D - Easy to drink for how intense the flavor is.

This is an incredible beer, and I'm pretty mad at myself for not having bought any for several months. There are several IPAs with higher BA scores, more buzz, etc., but don't make the mistake of overlooking this beer. Torpedo and Sierra Nevada's winter seasonal Celebration Ale are *by far* the best American IPAs for the money. I vow to keep this a fixture in the fridge from this day forward.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

what matters most 'to me' is the taste and how well it holds in the mouth. Not for the average person on the smell and the what I'd like to call (coin) I-P-A-ness, which is just what you expect from a IPA; bitter with a hint of a bite. It's almost like a real -cocont (mins the sweet); bitter and strong. Overall, this beer feels the cheeks and with a higher than norm alcohol level it makes it even better.. :)

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo poured a copper color with a good sized head. It smells almost like gin, a very strong pine smell, and also very hoppy. It tasted very hoppy, with a hints of pine. It is a bit hard to drink, but overall a fantastic beer, similar to there pale ale, but much more hoppier.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.