Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,615 | Reviews: 2,734

1/2/2010 Educated Update...
I flounder once again to decide this is still a very enjoyable IPA but notably a bold piney hopped version. Easily accessible, always a good price, notably bitter, and a well hidden abv. I have decided this is a more pine forward IPA example, especially after brewing a few more citrus oriented homebrewed IPAs at home.

2/9/2010
Okay it's official and my palate is changing, either I am less sesitive to pine, or I have just sold out to Sierra. I officially declare Torpedo to have much more hop citrus aroma and taste than my newb palate could initially handle. I have come around to enjoy Torpedo as my go to hop fix @ 6.99 a six pack. I have found it to have similiar taste as SNPA, but just a bit more body, abv, hops and malt sweetness. Overall I love it, and I would edit my review to now claim it's equally citrus as it is pine on the hop profile. In short, the most accesible, best priced, consistent , and always available IPA in my area. $6.99 on sale, $8.99 most other days. A showcase IPA from a flagship American brewer, hat's off the Sierra for a welcomed suprise new offering.

original 7/16/09 review;
A soild 4.5 across all catergories. Almost a DIPA if you will. This one is a bit to piney for my hop preference, otherwise I would have given it a 5 on taste and drinkability. Regardless... this is a fine example of an extremly intense palate scraper by the talented SN Team!

A 4.5 with a good 2 finger head, excellent head retention, orange/copper/amber in color with a smei hazy clarity.
S 4.5 Bold aroma with hop dominant profile. Some citrus is present but overwhelmed by the 100 decibel pine notes! This one screams pine notes, it's a forest of an extreme compostion of an intensely pine-sapped symphony...
T 4.5 Solid malt backbone is bulldozed by the same momentum of hop aroma... Omptimus Pine duels with some Superior Citrus in this show... which may be exiciting if you like this type of outcome... I mostly prefer citrus to win the duel and prefer pine mostly in my floor cleaners, but this battle is worth showing up to...
MF 4.5 Medium body, high carbo...
D 4.5 see my summary above...

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Per the neck label, I'm ready for the whole-cone American hop experience!

Appearance: This has a great bready head. Nothing looks better on a beer than big pockets of thick dough. This one almost bubbled over onto my laptop, have to be more careful. Amber/golden hue.

Smell: The aroma isn't as hoppy as I would have expected. I feel like I smell a hint of alcohol, but maybe that's the advertised ABV playing tricks on me.

Taste: This is surprising. After reviewing DFH 60 Minute last night, I was expecting (perhaps, hoping for) an even hoppier Torpedo experience. Not so. In fact, this is much more balanced than expected.

Mouthfeel: This is nice, just the consistency I prefer in a good beer. Right balance of carbonation and moderate aftertaste.

Drinkability: I see no problem here, whatsoever. Again, the beer is extremely balanced for an "Extra" IPA. And the 7.2 ABV will only serve to sneak up on you, not prohibit you.

12 oz bottle poured into a goblet

A = pours a dark amber with a good amount of carbonation, 2 finger head quickly dissipates with minimal lacing

S = mix of hops greater than malt with citrus underneath

T = Citrus up front, followed by a ton of hops, smooth with a bite of alcohol at the end. Hops definitely linger

M = little carbonation, light

D = high drinkability, not too much alcohol. Not quite as good as their Celebration, but very good nonetheless. I'm glad this is a year rounder

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewed from notes written on 1/9/11.

Torpedo appears a clear orange-gold into a standard pint glass. A fluffy, two finger head of the lightest khaki recedes to leave a frothy, full-covering film. Sparse, medium-paced carbonation bubbles drift upward. The lacing is nicely clumpy and splotchy.

The bouquet contains lots of citrus upfront. Aromas of fresh orange and lemon-lime are countrered by biscuit, sourdough, and just enough of a sweet caramel malt balance. Piney and floral hop scents are released when I swirl the beer, along with a bitter citrus rind component.

The taste is similar to the smell and is quite yummy. Toms of orange and lemon abound at the top of the sip, followed by a full caramel sweetness, and finished off by a resinous, piney hop dryness.

The mouthfeel is quite good. A light to medium body complements just the appropriate amount of sweetness, tartness, and bitterness. Excellent carbonation contributes to produce the prototypical feel for an IPA.

This is a solid, hoppy West Coast IPA. I could throw it into the IPA rotation and be perfectly happy with it's place. I could also have several of these in a sitting.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance. Clear orange with a hint of red. 1 finger head lasting a couple minutes.

Smell. Orange, grass, strawberry and lemon. Nice

Taste. Pineapple, orange, red grapefruit and pine needles. Alchohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel. Prickly and bitter. Dry and crisp. Really nice.

Drinkability. A good drinker. I'm sure we'll meet again.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a solid gold,completely clear. Lots of carbonation activity going on. The big head fades but a cap and lacing are left behind.
The smell is definitely of the piney hops, at a very reasonable level.
Taste is also all hops, but the flavor lasts a few seconds and then seems to disappear quickly. There is no lasting aftertaste.
I could certainly have one or two of these in the future.
This was a January Selection in our BOTM club.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Clear reddish coloration with a deep orange hue. Large fluffy head with good retention and some nice, thick lacing.

S - Big floral hop aroma with something else behind it, sweet, reminds me of caramel.

T - Big hop bite. Mostly flowery. Bitter as an IPA can be, and I like it.

M - Crisp and clean feel, with a mildly dry finish. A bit of the bitterness lingers on the palate. Carbonation was mild.

D - Very very enjoyable. Excellent IPA, especially at the price point. I'm definitely going to have to get another sixer. Reco for sure.

Bottled on date: 12/2/10

I haven't had a Torpedo in a while, so figured I would grab one in a mixed 6er. Pours with a very clear, light copper body and a finger of light tan head leaving lots of sticky lacing on my pint glass. Not the most aromatic IPA, but still pick up plenty of piney / grapefruit hops in the nose. Citrus hops upfront in the taste is balanced out with a malt balance in the middle, eventually giving way to an herbal / piney bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, dry, and maybe a slightly below average level of carbonation for the style.

A nice IPA, I still think I like Celebration a bit more but I'll never complain about some fresh Torpedo's in my fridge.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Reviewed from notes. I poured this bottle into a large wine glass.

A: honey color, orange-white head falls quickly, decent cap and good lacing.

S: orange, grapefruit, grass, pine, and a healthy dose of sweet malt.

T: loads of citrus up front, grassy/floral/citrus hops in the middle, the long finish is bitingly bitter with plenty of grass and pine. Like many super-hopped IPAs, I think this one would have shown better when it was fresh enough to still spank!

M: medium bodied, creamy to oily, moderate to light carbonation, finish is mineral-like.

D: a very tasty IPA, and one I would love to try fresh on tap.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

A: A Middle brown honey color, with a 1 finger head. Pour it about a minute ago and its going away quick.

S: Hops, has that Sierra Nevada smell I guess. Hops.

T: A deep hops flavor from front to back, get a hint of the citrus in the from and pine at the end.

M: Leaves my mouth feeling dry, but goes down good.

D: Probably wouldn't buy this all the time but it's a pretty good beer

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

Well,most everyone has had Torpdo and his older brother SNPA so I'll keep this basic

Shows some lace and film,moderate head, Light brown a little darker than SNPA

Smells...Hops. A bit more citric than SNPA with a little more hint of malt in the nose.

Flavor More early sweetness and caramel in the start,more backbone than SNPA. Has that SNPA pinecone but with a grapefruit and tangerine citrus too. Basically,a solid IPA though no bitterness champ. The balance is good yet this has that crisp refreshing brighness like SNPA or Celebration thee's a subtle complexity if you chew a mouthfull,and that's often not in some IPA's.

This is not radically unlike a lot of good IPA's yet it earned it's status as a classic.
Mouth is about right for the tipe. Wet,but with some body and sparkle.

Drinkable,Of course,Sierra knows drinkable. It's wide availability and good price make it drinkable when those factors matter...and sometimes they matter a lot.

ABV is more than SNPA,so if you have a keg party there's some limit to hw many glasses you'd quaff without incident.
For 7%+,however,this is as sessionish as they get.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Transparent caramel-colored liquid with a moderate amount of swift moving carbonation. Foamy, two-fingered, off-white head that slowly bubbled down.

Smell: Strong grapefruit aroma with a hint of pine underneath. Very refreshing!

Taste: Hint of the fruitiness found in the smell when it first hits the tongue, followed by a large (but not overpowering) hoppy bitterness. Carbonation borders on too much, though it's presence seems to wash away the hoppy bitterness before it becomes disgusting, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness on the tongue, but there is a lingering presence of grapefruit and yeast/malt (?) as well.

Drinkability: As IPA's go, I find this one to be very drinkable. The hopped up element is not overpowering, which makes it accessible to those who prefer stouts or sweeter beers, and the ABV and price are very reasonable. Most IPA's are a once-in-a-while drink to me, but I can see making Torpedo more of a regular in my cabinet.

Drinkability:

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I left the beer out a few minutes before I poured it to keep it from any potential chill haze, and because I'm trying to warm up (see what I did there?) to the whole drinking beer at a more "professional" temperature rather than straight from the icy depths of my ridiculously well-insulated fridge. I have found that drinking a cool beer versus a cold beer really makes a difference in everything from which aromas are stronger in the nose to which flavors are more obvious on my tongue and even to how the mouthfeel is affected. It's very interesting scientific stuff, so I'll just stick to the basics.

Poured into my nonick (I can't help but read that as "no neck," which makes no sense) it glowed a sweet potato/pumpkin pie orange with brown sugar shadows. The liquid was mostly clear with a faint bit of a slow, translucent haze that was suspended just above the bottom of the glass to just below the soapy head. Oh the head, let's talk about it for a minute: gorgeously fluffy and a creamy pearl color that looked just divine floating above the amber liquid, much like a heaping dollop of home-made whipped cream sitting atop a fresh-from-the-oven pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving is only 10 months away folks, can't be too prepared! When I first poured it, the foam reached a good 5-finger thickness before gradually melting into 3 and holding with fantastic retention for a long while before fading into thick patches of sticky lacing that left the glass dirty. It's like a love poem of lace.

The nose was a lot lighter than I initially anticipated, as with many IPAs it's pretty obvious what you're smelling right from the first whiff, but with the Torpedo, it was way more mild and didn't threaten to burn my nose with bitterness. Grapefruit rind and lemon zest were at the front line, closely followed by an odd creamy tangerine, which I definitely wasn't sure of. There were plenty of herbal hops, including some faint pine needles, but an obvious light crystal malt kept the whole encounter sweet and even added a welcome touch of caramel to the scent.

Finally in my mouth after furious note-taking, I was genuinely surprised by the first flavor to hit my tongue. Lightly toasted malts strolled across my taste buds with grapefruit pith on one arm, herbal piney notes on the other, and a light lemon zest trailing closely behind. It's still a little hard for me to believe that the malts were so prevalent and the hops hardly held a bitter knife to my mouth. Carrying a medium body with nice, rounded carbonation made it creamier and heavier than it appeared, but I would much rather have a beer that holds some weight than have one that's watery and thin. There was a short lingering hoppy bitterness and light caramel sweetness right at the end, but the bitter throughout the beer was actually relatively mellow, making it really easy to drink. I would probably recommend this IPA to someone who's not sure if they like IPAs or not and needs something to ease them into it. It was a very good beer, one that I will most likely pick up in the future as a filler for a day I'm not reviewing or if I'm out and want something simple to start the evening.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

While I'd had it before, I grabbed it again this week to revisit Sierra's bigger IPA and it really is an impressive brew.

Poured directly into a SA Perfect Pint Glass resulting in a healthy head. Nice nose with a nice round aroma of floral hops. The taste wasn't overly bitter, but still present enough to have the bite I'm expecting in a big American IPA. The aftertaste was awfully clean for the style and it left me wanting another. Drinks really well...

I'll be grabbing six packs of this again and again through the winter to ensure there's always a few stragglers hanging somewher in my fridge. Nice work Sierra!

cheers
BC

4.95/5  rDev +19%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Into a pint glass, here's a clear and bright amber color under a frothy, well sustained head and an impressive lacing that follows.

S: An appetizing floral bouquet of pine and citrus bursting with a sugary undertone.

M/T: A mellow malt and lightly bitter upfront welcome snaps into a juicy, robust hop garden center before ending with a dry resinous pine hop flavored finish. This displays a well rounded feel on the palate throughout.

D: This paired very well with a sweet sausage and hot pepper grinder. Even on its own though, I'd call Torpedo the perfect treat for a hophead's evening.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

this beer pours a lovely light caramel hue with a nice 2 finger head.

smells and tastes very piney with a little malty sweetness to follow.

medium mouthfeel, and at 7.2 abv the alcohal is hidden quite well but will catch up eventually.

overall this is a great bargin that i will purchase time to time for a tasty strong IPA. cheers

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12oz into a pint glass.

Appearance- Nice amber color that has about a finger of semi thick head. Retention is minimal.

Smell- The smell isnt very pungent. Some pine, orange and other citrus comes through.

Taste- Nice hoppy flavor, good citrus comes through more on the tongue than on the smell.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, and the sting of alcohol is definitly felt.

Drinkability- The drinkability on this beer is pretty good. You could relax and throw back a few of these before even realizing. Not my favorite IPA but not bad.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Very tasty "extra" IPA. Pours nice and has a decent aroma at pour. Quality beer for the $ and has developed into my staple "bargain" every time I hit the store. Body and taste is better than Sierra Nevada's Celebration. Could be a bit more hopped but I will not complain. Color, body and aroma are all good. Finish could be bittered just slightly as this does not linger on the pallet long enough for my taste. Over all, a quality beer for the $. Props to Sierra for putting out another fine product.

12oz bottle

Smells of citrus fruits, pine and hops. Pours a very nice, golden color that produces a good head and great lacing on the glass. Taste is great, of citrus fruits, pine and finishes off with the hop bitterness. Overall, an exceptional example of the American IPA. I can most definitely enjoy torpedo's in a session and would recommend this IPA to anyone.

This beer can prove to be a little thick/bitter and thus inhibits (though minimally) the drinkability in sessions.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Chilled to appx 40 degrees and poured into a chilled pint glass.

Great Aroma... very citrisy, zesty, a lot of pine and grapefruit to it. TONS of hops. If you are a lover of hoppy IPAs, take a good long whiff of this and you will be in heaven.

Taste: Big, Bold IPA. Hops all over the mouth and pallett. Nice hoppy bite at the end.

Sierra Nevada in mine are rulers of the IPA. Their Homegrown IPAs are a tad better due to the organic nature and hand holding, but for a year round offering, this in my mind is the best Big IPA out there.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This is definitely one of my favorite IPAs. So complex, herbal, citrus, tropical, grapefruity, lemony, limey, green and wonderful. The aroma is a tropical storm and the taste is bitter yet smooth. Amazing IPA, and only 7.99 a sixer. So glad they finally have a year round IPA, and a great one at that.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into perfect pint glass.

A: Orange color with fluffy off white head. Great carbonation on this and a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Huge pine notes and great citrus in the background. Very strong hop presence that lets you know this beer is for real.

T/M: Great pine flavors and citrus right away. The hop balance is really good, not to drying but very powerful none the less. Wonderful fresh hop flavors make the taste even more inviting.

D: Could drink this all day regardless of time of year. Just a great IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

I found this in the back of the frig, and noticed I had not reviewed this one.

Pours a nice amber color, a little cloudy. White foamy head that stays firm for some time. Some nice lacing.

Smells of hops, citrus, and pine. Hints of grapefruit, a crisp scent, very refreshing.

Taste is hops and orange citrus. Smooth when it hits the lips, with hops and citrus in the middle, a bitter dry grapefruit finish. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, with some carbonation in the finish.

A great IPA, very drinkable, but be careful of the abv.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light orange to dark yellow mix with a one inch head that lingers with good lacing throughout.

Smells like citrusy pine notes.

Tastes like citrus with some hops, although not a lot.

Smooth mouthfeel that is an easy drinker and not over-priced at all.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.