Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark copper with a tan head, with clinging lace all over my glass. In fact, it LOOKS like a dry hopped beer and it certainly is one. Curious to read more about this torpedo dry hop process. Smells like citrus piney hops, some slight alcohol in the nose. Taste is actually kinda smooth for such a big beer! Not much booziness detected, so much hops that cover up that alcohol. In fact, this beer is actually kinda balanced for an IPA. Has many layers of hoppiness, cannot detect much "herbal" hops in this beer. Mouthfeel is not overly rich either for such a beer, quite drinkable in a scary way...this beer reminds me of a big SNPA, but not huge like Bigfoot. A great extension of the brand, and perfectly fits in the spectrum of Sierra Nevada's other tasty offerings. If I recall my last six pack of these went down all too quickly....

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

After being disappointed by the Great Divide Hercules IIPA, what a refresher to love this offering from Sierra Nevada!

A- This is what a beer should look like! Cloudy orange/copper with a big foamy head and tons of lacing running down the glass.

S- Hops, hops, and more hops. Grapefruit smell hits you initially, then a piney spice takes over. Some biscuit undertones.

T- Reflects the smell almost exactly, but with more pine. I will say that for all of the hop flavor (and there's a lot of it), I get a really nice malt biscuit background to this beer that nicely counterbalances the hops and makes their flavor stand out more.

M- Exceedingly smooth. Carbonation upfront but that quickly dissipates.

D- For the style, extremely high. Alcohol hides itself. Go out and get this beer!

This IPA pours a deep orange color and a nice off-white soapy head that sticks around through the entire session. Great amount of lacing until the last drop.

Very exceptional aroma. Smells like a pine cone dropped right off a tree onto a ground of hops. The most natural smelling IPA I have ever stuck my nose to.

The taste is of pines with an amazing herbal profile.

Mouthfeel is decently thick and follows through with a resonated liquid texture straight down the palate.

I could drink an entire case of these. Just truly an amazing and outstanding IPA worth every penny. Definitely a thirst quencher.

A - Dark amber with about 1/2" of cream colored satiny head

S - Malty like roasted caramely malts, very floral and earthy.

T - Bitter as you'd like. Pine presence like gin with a grassy taste as well.

M - Dry, dry and dry with a bitterness that hangs around on the tongue like a sheet of bitterness.

D - When I'm in the mood for something this bitter (which is often), I'll reach for a Torpedo. Certainly everything I was hoping for and more...

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a solid brew. Color is a beautiful amber with light tan head and excellent lacing. The smell is just fantastic: soothing, slightly medicinal (in a good way, as in natural), really fresh pine, and mountain air. No, I'm not into aromatherapy, but if I was, this must be what they mean. The flavor is pretty intense, even for an IPA, Very bold. I doubt many here have ever tried Swedish bitters, but there is a strong similarity here, although tamed down quite a bit. There is a high concentration of hops here which are very sharp and distinctly herbal. Which herbs exactly is kind of hard for me to say. Lemon, orange, pine sap (which I have never tried, but this has to be close), and a dry, herbal tonic, slight quinine finish. Overall, this stuff has a really raw, fresh kick to it. Not for the sensitive. Extremely enjoyable. If you like IPAs this is the stuff you need to try.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A:Pours a hazy orange color with a fingers worth of white head, nice spotty lacing
left down the glass through out the drink

S:Smells of citrus and piney hops that are not too over powering along with a hint of pale malts as well

T:Taste comes thru way better than the nose suggest. Pale malts up front than a kick on the mid and backend of piney, citrus, and grapefruit bitterness. Palate is left a little dry with bitterness linger on it as well.

M:Solid mouthfeel with good carbonation throughout.

D:Super tasty brew form SN and probably my favorite of their year round offerings.
Nice hop profile, easy drink, affordable, and all around enjoyable. Should try this one
out if you see it at the store.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle poured into Sierra Nevada tulip glass

A- Perfect golden-orange color. Very lacey with a long-lasting eggshell-colored head. Not super bubbly.

S- Oranges, grapefruit, lemon, pine, and a hint of malt in a very refreshing nasal assault.

T- Bitterness appears early, but a strong citrus presence balances this. Gorgeous balance of citrus and flora. There is almost a tang of yeast, but this is never quite fully realized. Very complex, yet very clean-tasting.

M- Resinous but not very syrupy. Solid body yet very clean and light on the finish. Perfect amount of carbonation for the flavor.

D- There are few IPAs as widely available and inexpensive as this one. That said, I've seen few IPAs as consistent, drinkable, and well-rounded. This is absolutely a "go to" beer.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This beer pours a transparent amber brown with an inch thick off-white head. The head slowly dissipates leaving a nice bit of lacing on the glass.

The Torpedo has aromas of bitter hops and grapefruit citrus and bits of grass. Later the bready malt pushes through as well.

The has a light acidic/citrus, bitter nose. The malt backbone comes through next with a fresh baked bread finish (a little much). Inhaling produces a bitter alcoholic taste/smell, perhaps like permanent markers but in a pleasant way.

The mouthfeel for this beer is wonderful, medium/full-bodied with good carbonation.

This beer has good drinkability too; the alcohol is unnoticable when drinking and and overall it's a solid IPA. I do wonder if this bottle I had was not quite as fresh as it could be as I expected a fuller hop profile. That really just means I need a second tasting. And a third...

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Picked up a 6 pack of this since i haven't seen it around and I have heard nothing but good things so lets see how it drinks. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- Pours a nice orange amber color with a fingers worth of white head that turned into a thin clump that stayed for a while.

S- Wow, smells like a pine cone that just dropped from the tree. The hops impart a nice citrus smell backed up by some nice sweet maltyness.

T- Similar to the nose, very piney with some nice citrus to compliment the pine. It's bitter but not over the top bitter. All the flavors are balanced perfectly. On point for its style.

M- Right on for the style crisp and medium light bodied.

D- This is pretty drinkable for an IPA, its not too bitter so 2 or 3 of these would hit the spot. Hides it alcohol well.

Overall i am glad i picked this brew up, it was a pleasure to drink and i will for sure get this again. This is one of the best American IPA's i have had to date but two hearted is still my favorite. Keep making kick as brews Sierra Nevada.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Poured from bottle into tulip glass. Light head, quickly faded. Deep orange, 50% transparent.

S - I'm in a pine forest with an orange tree in the middle and one grapefruit.

T - Hops! Bitterness lingering on the tongue long afterward.

M - Just about perfect. Crisp and light to medium body.

D - Sometimes I enjoy an overpoweringly hoppy IPA. This one isn't that. It has just the right amount of bitterness to have no doubt that it is an IPA but I am still able to enjoy more than a couple of these at a time without my taste buds getting dulled by the bitterness.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a really good IPA. Easy to find at just about any grocery or package store. Very crisp and delightful!

Pours clear light orange with good head retention. The great hops smell translates to an excellent taste. This is one that I could knock back more than just a couple in a single night.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Great IPA. Pours very well but is missing a good staying head.The little bit of head I got from the initial pour was a nice light caramel color. Lacing also lacks staying power. Has a good fruity hops taste with a strong hops aftertaste. This is definitely a beer I can sit down to and make a night of. May be a little heavy in the hops for a new person trying IPA for the first time. Save it for the more serious IPA drinker.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

A - Fantastic off-white head, clear dark orange-amber color that is maintained throughout. Lacing lasted the entire round.

S - Citrus and hops... some orange and lemon perhaps, with some very fresh-smelling herbal appeal. No pungency whatsoever; smell is very crisp. Keep in mind, this is for a bottle that was bottled only 26 days ago. I had one that was bottled several months ago and the smell/taste was a lot more malty than the fresh bottle, which produces a wonderful malt/citrus/hops combo that is unrivaled. Unlike Bigfoot, this beer appears to weaken in flavor with time, so the fresher the better!

T - Initial overwhelming feeling of hops, but overwhelming in a good sense. Swallow resembles a mixture of malted hops and citrus, the latter which dominates in the after-taste.

M - Exceptionally smooth, with the perfect amount of carbonation. Tastes like a beer in the 5% ABV range, so masking a 7.2% this well is quite extraordinary.

D - one of the most drinkable IPAs I have had. Sierra Nevada's brewing style includes complexities that only enduring stomach may endure, but for those able to handle it there are few better than Torpedo. it is my favorite Sierra Nevada product.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Young's pint pot. B.B.E 6/10/10.

A. Cloudy blood orange coloured ale topped by a solid looking white head. Head retention is excellent.

S. Juicy malt and faint traces of plums in madeira. A touch hoppy.

T. A clean, strong tasting IPA, possibly a hint of creaminess though this is masked by the alcohol strength. Roasted malt and a pleasant hop kick.

M. Medium bordering on thick, mouth coating.

D. A delicious IPA, one of only 3 Sierra Nevada beers I can honestly give a double thumbs up sign to.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- One of the nicer looking IPA's I've seen. Dark orange body with a solid finger's worth of head, and very intense carbonation.

S- As soon as I got the bottle open, a sharp note of bitterness jumped out. Once I got closer to the beer after it had been poured, I didn't find much else to describe. Their was definite bitterness, and what seemed like a bit of citrus. The aroma was quite faint sadly.

T- A very good hop backbone and then some more hops on top. I enjoyed the bitterness that I found in this one. You get a pretty good taste from the hops for about 30 seconds before some of the citrus works it's way to the top. The hops also have more of a pine taste to them than in most IPA's and it comes off as a bit more bitter than beers using other hops. There is some malt in this one, but it plays it's part in balancing the drink, without making much note of itself.

It is what it is, and it's a hop heavy IPA. I enjoy it substantially, but people looking for more balance should look elsewhere. The only thing I didn't like about the taste was how evident the citrus was in the aftertaste.

M- Medium full body with hops and carbonation that do some work on your tongue. A bit creamier than the average IPA as well.

D- Very drinkable, and very easy to find. I'm glad that I picked it up.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. A clear amber beer with a thick head was poured. The lacing was impressive. The nose consisted of piney grapefruit. This beer tasted like piney grapefruit with a nice sweet malt profile, very bitter on the bite and very pleasant. The carbonation levels are very nice for this beer and it slightly creamy. Overall, I love this beer. This is one of the few beers I constantly am buying, the value is spot on. The flavors of this beer set the cornerstone for American IPA flavor.

I really want to try this beer on tap but I have never seen it on a tap list over here in MA.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into my Zatec fluted glass from a 12 oz bottle. Nice hazy golden amber color, followed by a light off-ivory 2 finger head. Incredibly lasting lacing. Smells spicy, citrusy, definitely cascades goin on, especially given that it's Sierra Nevada. Maybe some German hops too, given a light pilsner scent. Certainly an evergreen quality. Tastes richly spicy and citrusy, pine, grapefruit and lemon. A bit of warmth as it goes down your throat. Nice lingering bitterness that dries out your mouth. Imminently drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A. Poured a slightly cloudy apricot orange, with a nice one and a half finger off white head. great lacing clung to the glass.

S. Pine and citrus, some floral notes.

T. A good tasting IPA. Slight malty grain sweetness up front, with citrus and lots of hops. A great bitter bite rounds out taste.

M. Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice balance, slightly acidic.

D. Very good IPA I will have a few more of these. Sierra Nevada has done a good job with this style of beer, I also like there regular IPA.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Orange amber in color and translucent. Beautiful, creamy off-white head, over an inch. Excellent lacing that lasted the entire drink.

S - Hints of sour lemon. Pine also present reminding me of Christmas.

T - Complex. Lemony and piney mixed together, plenty of flavour. Hops very strong and bitter at the end, lingering.

M - Effervescent, bubbly, the beer danced around my tongue. Lingering bitterness at the end.

D - A solid beer, but I can only do IPAs in smaller amounts.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

First, I'm not a huge fan of IPAs. I have my select few and distinct flavors that I like. Second, it's a slippery hot day in HI and I really craved some hops. But, nonetheless, here's my review.

Appearance: is a cloudy copper color. The head doesn't retain very long, but it pours out nicely. Lacing is dispersed, but stays. After about 10 min. it becomes clearer.
Smell: tangy, hoppy, light with a bit of a piney flavor. Can really come up with more than that. Smells that the usual IPA. Got a little bit of a stuffy nose too.
Taste: hops are not overwhelming but do taste quite flowery. The taste kind of reminds me of the taste of pine tree bark without the nasty aftertaste and overwhelming bitterness. It's light and earthy but still a little citrusy.
Mouthfeel: To me, the beer is very well carbonated. The first taste hits you like a tingling wave. Like a very dull, tasty version of putting your tongue to a 9 Volt battery. Doesn't leave a terrible coating afterwards either.
Drinkability: Perfect for a hot sticky day. This is the second time trying this beer, and I craved it for a day like this. Doesn't destroy your taste buds. Destroys that parched, sticky feel in your mouth on hot days.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

This is my second review of a Sierra Nevada label, and only my second real review of an IPA, and I must say, I am becoming indoctrinated to the style! This IPA is rated at 7.2% alcohol by volume (abv).

12oz bottle poured into my favorite glass. Not real cold, call it 50F, I let it sit a couple minutes before I drank it after opening it.

Appearance: Beautiful golden orange haze. Nice moderate head, even poured kind of aggressive it was just right.

Nose: Wonderful warm and bright hops, pungent, and crisp. Piney, floral overtones. Pleasant, and smells of quality. Makes me WANT to drink it. It gets clearer after a couple minutes as some of the bubbles work themselves out.

Taste: Nice and crisp, definitely lots of hops but also smooth. A decent amount of carbonation but not too fizzy. Maybe the premium malts in there tone down the sharp bitterness of the hops. I expected more bite (but it DOES have a nice one), and it does leave a nice after-bitter on the back of the tongue. Very pleased with the flavor. Again, as it warms a bit while I type this review, the flavors become more pronounced and enjoyable. Honestly, the alcohol is well masked and does not detract from the flavors at all.

Mouthfeel: Perfect! Not thin at all, a bit of chewiness that I can feel on the teeth. It feels substantial but not thick or syrupy. Leaves a coating that stays a bit. Does not inhibit going back for another drink immediately, in fact, it's so easy to down that I could go overboard on this 7.2% abv and get quite buzzed haha.

Drinkability: Awesome. I want another! Nice lacing that stays as the beer goes down and a thin head that follows to the last drink. I WILL be buying this again, and again...

Overall: Being new to the IPA world, I don't want to over rate this one, but it's "damn good" and I look forward to more of this one. Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Torpedo pours a deep orange color with lots of off-white head.

Smells of piney and citrus hops in the front with a fair amount of malt backbone.

The taste is not as bitter as you would hope from an IPA and the malt seems to play a bigger part than most beers of this style.

A fair amount of carbonation makes this beer crisp and as it warms the flavors become more complex and add points to this brew that were lacking during the initial taste.

This is a good beer and at 7.2% ABV it brings what you expect from an American IPA but falls short in bold hop flavors.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A-pours a medium dark goldish brown, with a thick foamy three finger barely off-white head that dissipates slowly, leaving an ample amount of lace behind, and seems to settle at a half-finger depth.

N- I could smell this very strongly as I poured it. Rather floral and a bit of sweet fruity esters in there as well, I almost pick up on a pineapple scent.

T- Peppery right off the bat, and then developing a floral hop taste, and shortly there after some citrus taste, most of the hop "bite" is up front, with a milder finish, all in all pretty balanced, although a little more hop bite would be nice. I do like the apparent blend of citrus and floral hops.

M- not too thick or thin, although more toward the thick side, and with a refreshing quality that I wasn't expecting.

D- I'm not usually the biggest IPA fan on the planet(IMO they are summer beers, but I am in hawaii where there is no other season), and maybe this is from my recent lack of access to any craft of otherwise decent beer at all (hence the malt liquor reviews as of late). but this is rather enjoyable, not fast drinker, but nice to sit in what anywhere else on the globe would be a summer evening and sip on. given that it's like a dollar more than a "40" down the street, I think I may have found a new night cap.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Cloudy golden copper, small white head dissolves quickly.

S:Hops. Typical ipa with grapefruit and some oranges.

T: Hops and grapefruit, and also some oranges. Quite peppery also, especially in the aftertaste where bitterness is quite noticeable

O: Nice beer, bought it many times now.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Showed a dark orange amber with a thick creamy head that stuck around the whole time and clung to the glass the whole way down. Smell of big piney and cirtus hops. Incredibly complex nose. Taste starts out with cirtus hop bite, creamy and sticky, spicy hops balance the citrus with a malt body underneath that keeps all the hops in check and makes this incredibly drinkable. Fantastic IPA.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.