Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: A nice finger and a half of beautiful off white head. It has a very clear copper color. It also has some lacing.

Smell: The body of the smell comes from sweet malt, but the pine hops really cut through. There is a definite citrus aroma to this beer.

Taste: Wow is this beer balanced. This beer starts of with a sweet malt flavor and finishes up with some awesome bitter flavor. There is also some citrus to this beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium bodied and drinks pretty smooth. The carbonation is not bad, but I wish it was just a tiny bit more carbonated. This beer finishes really dry.

Drinkability: I really enjoy this beer and could definitely session it, but I feel like the hop bomb nature of it would kill any beer you have after it, unless its another torpedo ofcourse. I was expecting something a little more spectacular from the threads I saw when this beer came out. It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely a good beer.

OnThenIn, May 24, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Review from notes

A - poured clear amber red with foamy off-white head. Good retention and very good lacing

S - sweet malts, fresh grapefruit, and piney hops in high balance

T - immediate sweet caramel malts followed by bittering hops on the sides and back of the tongue, then a wave of herbal and citrus zest. Bitter, hoppy finish

M - medium bodied with balanced carbonation, refreshing mouthfeel

D - very good, could do a couple of these in an evening

Overall - a good, solid IPA. Sierra Nevada never disappoints.

DmanGTR, May 24, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Light amber color 1/2 finger head after pour into St. Bernardus glass.

S - Slight Pine and citrus smell.

T- Prickly, hoppy a good DIPA taste.

M - Tart, citrus, dulling (in a good way)

D - Great DIPA for price and availabilty could drink a bunch and would will get more.

Casey10, May 24, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

A - This honestly looks very much like the standard SNPA, and that's not a bad thing. This might be a shade darker, but its still that vibrant golden-flax hue with a big fluffy white head and tons of foamy lace.

S - Oh my God. Hops, glorious hops! This is a hop forward nose that balances some of the juiciest hop notes that I've sniffed in a long time. The pine forest SN DNA is definitely detectable, but this adds more complexity than the standard APA version. Fresh, juicy, slightly fruity, and very sappy... this smells wonderful.

T - Even better than the nose, the flavors EXPLODE with fresh hop oils. The word "juicy" keeps flashing across my brain. This is like diving into a green hop filled wine press with bare feet and stomping around like a baptist preacher. Can I get a witness!

M - Medium bodied and FRESH. This is thirst quenching and highly carbonated, and all of those suds really help keep it lively and active in the mouth. It's almost electric with zingy hop flavors and zesty carbonation. This is as fresh tasting as ice-cold freshly squeezed OJ.

D - Perfect. One of the most well rounded (for a hop bomb that is) and drinkable brews that I've had in a long time. I tried one of these out at The Brewhaus and I'm sold. I'm going to pick up a large quantity of this stuff to keep around the house. This would be a perfect outdoorsy grillin' out sort of session brew. The hops would stand up to some spicy brats, and its dangerously gulp-able. Another impressive creation from Sierra Nevada... and I would have expected nothing less from the west coast masters of hop.

pmcadamis, May 23, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer.

CJthirty7, May 23, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a nicely clear golden-copper hue with a thick off-white head of foam. Head shows moderate retentive properties, fading somewhat quickly, leaving behind a light amount of splotchy stick on the walls of the glass.

A nose of citrusy, slightly floral American hop aromas presents itself, with notes of orange peel and grapefruit. Aroma is somewhat subdued and none-overpowering.

Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, with a base palate of slightly grainy and faintly sweet malt, glazed over with citric hop notes of bitter grapefruit peel. Hop bitterness builds toward the middle and back, lending a very dry finishing character that lingers on the tongue, with just a touch of malty sweetness.

The dryness lends itself well to drinkability, and this is one bitter hop bomb; still, while good, it fails to live up to the hype that has been vested in it by the beer rating community. Balanced well more toward the hop end of the spectrum, it fails to present itself as much other than a well-crafted and very well-hopped American IPA, which it holds to well but fails to become anything much more than that.

superdedooperboy, May 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Orange amber with stiff peaks of foam that slowly melt over several minutes and leave sticky rings of lace all down the glass. The nose is leafy hop forward with a bit of caramel malt. The flavor is similar to the SN pale ale but with a more resinous hop flavor and bitter finish nicely balanced by caramel tasting malt. Warming alcohol in the finish. Medium bodied with crisp carbonation. A great addition to the SN year-round offerings.

biggred1, May 22, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

I bought this beer in anticipation of great things. I LOVE Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so had great expectations here... as I LOVE hops.

It poured a very nice amber color... clear, very nice off-white head...

It smelled of clean citrusy hops, but I don't think I picked up as much Cascade as I anticipated. Not an overpowering hop aroma.

The taste was the opposite of the aroma... Very pungent hop flavor. Wasn't as smooth as I expected. Now, I love IPA's.. and usually the more hops, the more I like it. I found this to be merely average.

It is quaffable, but not more than about 2 per session...

Overall, a nice beer, but I'll go with the regular old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale next time.

Icehouse57, May 22, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +12%

It was a real treat to finally try this. I bought it from Whole Foods in Logan Circle. They couldn't stock it fast enough. They were out of it in about 2 weeks. They are hoping to restock it for the rest of this summer.

A: Poured it into a tulip glass. It poured with a golden amber hue with a thick white head. I didn't expect that amount of carbonation so I had to wait a minute to pour the the last few drops into the glass.

S: It smelled unbelievable! Very clean spicy citrus aroma (thought is was Cascade at first.) I let the head subside before I took a sip...

T: I have to admit, I was a little disappointed here, expecting a hop bomb from the aroma. There was almost a "soft" bitterness to it. However, after letting the beer open up for about 15 minutes, the hop bitterness and flavors really started to shine. It has a very nice malt balance to it.

M: The mouthfeel was a little slick, and it probably had a bit too much carbonation for the style.

D: Way too easy to down for a +7% abv, but really nice for sipping.

Masterson, May 21, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A-Nice amber color. Nice two finger head.

S-Citrus, pine, hops

T-Nice hop bite. Citrus notes are present.

M-Medium body, nice carbonation level-not too much or too little.

D-Couldn't session this one, but one is easily done.

Lerxst, May 21, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a chilled standard pint glass. The color is a bright copper with a lovely foamy head that lingers. The smell is a mix of pine and citrus, very floral. The taste is a nice initial blast of hops but the shift to the caramel tasting malt just doesn't strike me well and it seems to accentuate the high alcohol content. I can appreciate their effort to make it a balanced beer, it's by no means horrible. The mouthfeel in general is fine, lively. I wouldn't want to drink a sixer of this in one sitting but throwing one or two into the rotation would be very satisfying.

ThickestHead, May 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz. 2nd time having this 'Extra IPA' - first time was blindly tasted. Pours a bright orange with a nice foamy, creamy off-white head that leaves great lacing that sticks to the glass. Aromas are floral hops, citrus rind - mainly grapefruit, and pine. Initial taste is a sweet malty, biscuity backbone that is quickly taken over by the hops - grapefruit rind, and the bitterness is mild to start. Hop characteristics build though - more bitter, piny, dry, and acidic with each sip. Mouthfeel is juicy and oily - especially toward the bottom of the glass as the hop oils have coated the palate completely by now. Alcohol is well concealed throughout - not even the least bit noticeable. This is a solid American IPA, but as far as representing the style it's almost in a style of its own with its complexity and brewing techniques - close to an Imperial IPA. Price is outstanding - $6.99 for 6 - you can't beat it for a high quality brew like this!

barnzy78, May 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A - pours a deep honey amber. Thick almost latte like head that lingers to the bottom of the glass.

S - floral, citrus, loads of pine. Sweet malty background.

T - taste mimicks the smell. Right up front sharp hop bitter with a malts that hang around the finish.

M - high amount of mouth tingling carbonation. Medium/full body

D - Nice, drinkable IPA. Went great with the steak sandwich i had.

quinlin, May 19, 2009

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a deep gold, forming a massive two fingers of off-white head. Medium spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - The aroma consists entirely of hops, but does not have as strong of an aroma as I expected.

T - The palate is dominated and coated with a citrusy hop flavor, and then gives way to a noticeable malt backbone, only again to have the hops dominate in the finish.

M - Medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. The taste remains on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Very full flavor. Aside from the higher ABV, I could easily see having a few of these. Maybe not as great as it was hyped up to be, but still a good beer from Sierra Nevada.

D -

beeragent, May 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours golden amber with a caramel colored head.

The nose is very perfumy and spritzy. Herbal and floral notes are dominant with a lot of pine and hops.

This beer got better as it warmed to room temperature. Piney, hoppy, and grassy. Taste has a crisp bite to it like putting your nose in a fresh bag of cascades. Small citrus character.

Not as assertive as I'd hoped and lacking compared to many other high ranked examples of this style. This is what i would imagine a dry-hopped/hoppier SN Pale Ale would taste like.

natelocc787, May 18, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

My first sampling of this beer. In fact, sadly I have not had too much Sierra Nevada, despite the availability.

A: A very enticing semi-opaque and vibrant orange that is darkened slightly by woody brown undertones.

S: Aroma is not as hop-encompassing or complex as I suspected it might be, but perhaps my serving is a little cold (in fact I know it is).

T: Different story. Lots and lots of hops. Floral and citrus hops completely dominate the mouth (got to be a ton of Cascade, maybe Centennial in this). Very bitter in the back.

M: Crisp and tightly carbonated, though not incredibly bubbly. Hop oils slowly coat as you drink.

D: Very good, and very drinkable. Perhaps the sharp bitterness keeps this beer from being sessionable. Alcohol is incredibly well-masked.

I really enjoyed this beer. A wonderful example of the style that I will definitely seek out again.

AVDeuph, May 18, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pored a clear, light amber with a big fluffy 2 finger head that left a foamy lacing

Big pine scent with citrus and hops.

Taste matched the smell with a lingering bitter hop bite.

Mouthfeel was highly carbonated with a medium body. A hoppy, bitter IPA.

SirDrinxAlot, May 17, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -18.1%

First Review so bare with me:

Poured into my Stella Artois goblet, little to no head with thin lacing. It displayed a deep amber color akin to finely polished amber gems housing a prehistoric insect.

Smells of pine and citrus with a hint of that familiar grain smell of all beers.

I am immediately hit with the bitterness of the hops but it is lacking the typical citrus after taste I am use to with other beers in the same class.

Mouthfeel is thin and does not linger on the palette although the sting of the bitterness stays with you, which I happen to like.

Overall I like it, though I prefer others in the same style which have a strong citrus aftertaste that match the smell better. Like previous posters states its availability, price, and drink ability make it a win for me and would certainly pick up a sixer of this to share with my friends.

Tetano, May 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Another solid offering in Sierra Nevada's ubiquitous line of craft brews. Pours a pretty orange-mahogany with a tan, foamy head. I smell alcohol, hops, and citrus. Taste is somewhat citrusy, too, with a lingering bitterness. I've had better IPA's, but since this one can be found at every grocery and convenience store in my area, I'll surely crack my share of them this summer...

troutmask96, May 16, 2009

Pours a nice deep amber with a head that looks like it was scooped up fresh from the base of Niagara Falls. The lacing reminds me of the middle of a game of Space Invaders, but one where the space invaders win.

The nose is pure pine with some fruity undertones but it could be stronger.

At first blush I'm puzzled by the taste. It's there but almost not there. Strong and yet weak.

Now that I think about it I guess with the promise of an "Extra" IPA I was bracing my taste buds for impact and they were ducking for cover on the first sip. But it wasn't the over-the-top hop bomb I was expecting.

Anyway, now that I'm past that it's actually a really nice, finely balanced, bold and juicy tasting IPA. Like--you guessed it--grapefruit juice, specifically. The malts are of caramel and biscuit. The hops are piney and herbal and in good balance, and while it's definitely bitter, it's actually somewhat restrained for an IPA. Which is fine by me because this is a delicious beer. It lacks some degree of depth or complexity but, really, that just serves to make it highly drinkable for times when you just want to session an IPA while watching a ball game, say.

Medium bodied and almost creamy mouthfeel and a nice clean finish.

MeisterBurger, May 14, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Copper to deep amber, crystal clear with a rich thick head that makes it through almost half of the experience

S: A good amount of piney, hop character with some light citrus and pepper notes. I'm actually pretty excited by this point

T: Ugh. What happened to all of that hop goodness that was just in my nasal cavity? Heavy malt presence followed up by what comes across as unripe grapefruit and then an awful boozy finish. The alcohol presence in this one is less than subtle.

M: Thin, heavily carbonated and peppery on the tongue. The alcohol resonates in the back of the throat.

Overall, I was extremely dissapointed in this beer. I was expecting something more along the lines of an imperial/double IPA but should have paid closer attention to the ABV. It's thin, overly carbonated but on the plus side it goes with just about anything and you could easily down six of these in a sitting if you're not careful just because of the overall clean finish. However, I won't seek this out again.

jdflyer06, May 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz. bottle.

Hard pour gets a beautiful head to rise up, just a little more than two fingers worth of off-white frothiness. Beer is a clear copper color. Little bubbles rise to the top in single-file lines. Nice lacing the whole time, as well.

Smells phenomenal. A bouquet of citrus hops, with a little bit of floral and maybe piney for good measure. The citrus is really what is coming through for me. My favorite!

Taste is right on for the smell. Right on for what I want in an IPA. The hops are all there, all in harmony with one another, and there's a good malt backbone behind it, imparting just a hint of sweetness. So nicely balanced, just a little bit of bitter and the rest is flavor.

Good, full mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated. I could probably go on drinking these all night, but probably would get a little bit of taste bud fatigue after the third. Wouldn't stop me from reaching for another one, though. The alcohol would probably catch me a buzz after just a couple, but it certainly weighs in a little lower than some comparable IPAs, which is nice.

Easily to find, not outrageously priced, and absolutely delicious, this beer has a place in my fridge or at any gathering I'm attending. Because it's not overly bitter, might be a good introduction to the style for people who would like the type of IPAs I like.

JimmieFrisbee, May 12, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

I found it to be sold out in at my go to store, but since I saw the last six pack in a store in Chicago I had to get it.

Pours very foamy. Nice large foam. Honey colored.

Hoppy smell. Has lots of IPA smell.

Bright hop with some long lasting grapefruit. Sweetness backs it but really firmly on the bitter end. Hints of Guava or green Mango fruit. I want to call it balanced...

The problem is that the bitterness isn't something that goes away. It could be that it's so fresh it hasn't toned down much.

On it's own it's bitterness makes it challenging for my pallet.
That's the only drinkability detriment.
There's no doubt that this is ripe for spicy polynesian food. Don't go buffalo wings, class it up.

Dotcubed, May 12, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

The pour produces a nice 1" head which dissipates somewhat quickly. The color is deep golden.

Nice hit of hops to the nose, which made me very optimistic right out of the gate. Initially delicious, but after a few seconds the finish gets even more bitter than I expected from a DIPA. Overall I'm struggling with my opinion of this beer. The price is right for a DIPA and I will probably buy another six to continue my evaluation, but as of now I give it a somewhat hesitant thumbs up.

BrianOhio, May 12, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

350ml bottle bought from Tuckers Maltings...

Poured a nice golden coppery orange colour. Creamy head with orange tinges poured quite thick then faded quickly to light ring around the edge. Light carbonation... light lacing lines...

Aroma - Spicy juicy fruits (apricots, limes, oranges), piney / grassy hops, some caramel sweetness, biscuity maltes, perfumey, some light almond nuttiness, toasted bread...

Taste - Quite sharp spicy, piney / floral hop bitterness, toasty / biscuity maltiness, light honey / caramel sweetness, good fruitiness (oranges and limes), buttery notes, light medicinal hints, perfumey, sea salt traces, some metallic hints...

M&D - Quite sharp initially then mellows out. Light / medium bodied... Very quaffable..

Overall - Another excellent brew from SN... definitely recommended..

mdagnew, May 11, 2009
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.