Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a nice orange color with two fingers of off white head, a beautiful beer.

Scent of grassy hops, citrus, some pine, and a hint of earth. Smells like a good West Coast IPA.

Taste of grassy hops, earth, spices, caramel, and malts. More malts and less hops than I had hoped for, but a good IPA nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and slick, not bad but slightly thin.

paco1029384756, Mar 03, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

a - Crystal clear amber body, no haze or floaties whatsoever. Nice fluffy off white head leaves some lacing.

s - Strong Pine hops aromas.

t - Pine shines through right away. Hops are present throughout but it's not a hop bomb. Rich malt backbone balances the bitter hops with sweet sweet flavor. Really well rounded. Alcohol is very well masked, not at all hot or off putting.

m/d - Mouth feel is perfect for the flavor and size of the brew. Very tasty, very drinkable. At 7.2% however make sure you share with your friends or you'll be asleep before you know it.

magnj, Mar 02, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle poured into scaldis glass

a-hazy orange copper color with very minimal head that disapated quickly but left a lacy film here and there in the glass

s-noticeable hop aroma up front with a melon characteristic i cannot pin point did not really detect any malt in the smell

t-nice and hoppy but i dont think its quite and ipa more like a beefed up apa. hop sting in the aftertaste

m-a little oily not quite like i want my ipas and a little more watery that i expected but nothing too bad

d-fair i could drink 2-3 in one sitting but i dont think i would want any more than that

overall a solid offering from sn...i was slightly disappointed with this considering all the hype this beer has garnered but it it still a good beer but i dont see it being a session beer for me

stoutfiend27, Mar 02, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Big grapefruit and pine, lightly toasted malt, caramel and some yeast in the aroma. The appearance is deep golden with a copper hue. The head is rather small but OK for the style. The flavor is like the aroma with lots of hops and some yeastiness. It also has a nice bread like aftertaste with a bit of soapiness. The palate is smooth. Outstanding.

nick76, Mar 02, 2009

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Nice orange, amberish color with an off-white, one-finger head. Not a whole lot of lacing left behind.

S: Love the nose on this one! Was expecting a typical citrus hoppy aroma, but instead it was a more roasted/toasted & earthy. Then the nose finishes with sweet red berries.

T: Hoppy up-front pine flavors, some spice but very well balanced with the toasted malty flavor. They did a great job of fitting this in a category somewhere between a regular IPA & a Double IPA. Hardly an alcohol presence considering its at 7.2 ABV.

M: a light-medium body. Creamy yet still carbonated.

D: Drinks easier than expected. Wasn't expecting a "Extra IPA" to be this smooth. Another great beer by Sierra Nevada.

mtrentm, Mar 02, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a crystal clear copper with a full off-white head that has stellar retention. Lots of carbonation rocketing off the bottom of the mug. Torpedo is a very beautiful beer. Smells very good though not beyond what one would expect of an IPA: strong hops upfront, very citrusy and piney, with sweet malts detectable in the background. Tastes like it smells, with a long, resinous finish that is strong but not to the point of making you cringe. This is a terrific beer. Probably goes best with cheese or other foods.

droomyster, Mar 02, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance is solid finger off-white, airy/bubbly head; hues of copper, tan and amber and there is sticky lacing rounding out an everpresent head.
Citrus and herbal hop notes on the nose with just the slightest sweetness deep in the aroma.
Tastes of herbs, florals that glide smoothly over the tongue, lightly coating the palate. The beer doesn't leave the massive amounts of residue featured in DIPAs, but it's still pleasant. There's a brief sweetness at the front of the sip, rounded out by that pine/forest flavor. In general, the taste is very well balanced.
Mouthfeel is my favorite part about this beer. Medium bodied and medium carbonation and smooth as hell. This beer goes down so easily that I polished off the 12oz in mere minutes. An exceptionally drinkable beer, with the alcohol creeping up on you only at the very end. I've already recommended this to friends and I look forward to trying some more.

washburnkid, Mar 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

What an amazing beer! Truly amazing. I've always been a huge fan of Sierra Nevada. I feel like they were the ones who brought me into the craft beer scene. So SN is quite dear to my heart. Ask any of my close friends: Sierra Nevada posters don my walls in my dorm room. But despite my affinity for SN, I always thought of them as a solid brewery with a great lineup, but never a powerhouse when it came to top-of-the-line brews. I think Stone Brewing can make an A+ beer, but Sierra Nevada will do A-'s and straight A's.

Well boy, was I wrong when it came to Torpedo. Pours out a rich gold, dark brown. Very carbonated. Very attractive thick head. Smells of floral hops immediately, but also has some wood-pine-like smells. Very odd. It wasn't straight Cascade, Chinook, and Centennial. The taste is fantastic. Great floral flavors, but again, there is a very earthy tone in the background so the grapefruit tart doesn't get out of hand. Perfect balance. Great hoppy taste, without an assault on your taste buds.

This is truly a top-of-the-line beer. Just an amazing, amazing all around beer.

zerofear13, Mar 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I am so happy that SN decided to brew an IPA as a year round beer, and I think they have done a great job with this beer.

It is solid beer and it goes well as a essential beer for the fridge to always have a few of, much like SN Pale Ale.

It has a strong hoppy profile and the taste to match. Definitely has a bit more bite than I typically expect from SN (Bigfoot excluded), but there is nothing overpowering about this beer. It is extremely tasty and very drinkable.

For about $8 a sixer you can't ever go wrong with this.

mirish72, Mar 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A clear reddish-gold color with some lively carbonation,a medium fluffy white head that leaves some nice lacing.Aroma is very fresh,piny,citrus and floral hops with some sweet roasted malt coming through.
Flavor is mildly bitter with tuns of crisp hop notes and a nice balance of a sweet yeasty malt,there is a piny earthy herbal thing going on here that makes this beer really interesting,very easy drinking with a pleasant dry finish,medium body,and some crazy spice notes in the aftertaste . A very sessionable anytime easy drinker at a reasonable price. Way to go SN

WakeandBake, Mar 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

another hot day in so cal. 88 degrees outside i need an ipa. hmmm torpedos away.

pours a beautiful golden amber with an aggressive two finger white head that stays like it has an invite. lacing clings like a needy ex. not letting go of the past. awesome.

smell is awesome. big magnum hop presence. practically jumps out of the glass and bitchslaps me across the face. yum

taste is just spiffy. a nice bite from the hops but it settles down well enough. full smooth flavors last through the whole beer. I am a huge fan of this.

mouth is smooth. medium carbonation. medium bodied. a great beer for a hot day.

this beer is a 7.2? you are full of shit. this alcohol is a ninja. i could polish off a few of these without even blinking. a very tasty beverage.

Mauerhan, Mar 01, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Clear amber colored beer with a glass filling light tan colored head with staying power.

Smell is malty and woody with a mild hop aroma and strongly of no particular type. Slight pine aroma.

The taste starts out neutral and herbal with a good malt backbone. Bitter and herbal kicks in fairly quickly. Strong herbal beer with malt just right keeping everything in balance.

Mouthfeel is good.

Good drinkable IPA, could be more complex but this is a good beer. This is a great deal like Firestone Walker Union Jack.

Zorro, Mar 01, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Greeted by a slightly off white head and a fired terracotta copper. This is a pretty beer with crystal clear depth to it. Good IPA colors and a respectable head that is slightly sticky and ok retention.

The nose is light on the hop side for my taste but that doesn't mean it fails to deliver a respectable hop showing. Lightly floral and more earthy then citrus. There is also a fine musty grain nose in the background.

Taste is also on the light side for my taste. There is a brilliant earthy bitterness that is instantly discernible. Followed by a muted citrus pine hop taste. Overall the hops taste more floral then anything else.

A mild carbonation makes this beer a delight to drink. Not to punchy on the bitterness and not to heavy or syrupy like some IPA's can get. A good all around decent beer. The floral scent and tastes makes me thing of this as a hippy IPA. Very earthy and concerned about the environment. Tasty beer but SN should cut their long hippy hair and add more hops to this one.

jbphoto88, Mar 01, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13%

Could not wait to try this. And it does not dissapoint to say the least....

Upon the initial pour there is a nice beige head however no lacing, no big deal...

The smell is absolutely awesome to say the least. A very fresh herbal / pine smell that seem's to develop a fruitiness toward's the end of the sniff, very much like fresh strawberries...

The taste is a seamless blend of malt and hop's, it start's off with a very fruity / caramel malt flavor that is in perfect harmony with one another. The bitterness is present however not to the point of burning you're taste bud's. A definate hop bomb but in a subtle way, not a bad thing at all. I think it's great, and really does not mimmick any any other IPA's out there, in a class of it's own... What else would you expect from Sierra Nevada. Almost forgot to mention that the carbonation level is spot on, very crisp but also very creamy, perfect.

In a world with a plethora of IPA's to choose from, this is a definate winner in my book.
This will definately be in rotation in my fridge.

Just wanted to list an update, the more I have been drinking this the better it get's. It is becoming a favorite amongst the other IPA's that I drink...

Would also like to kind of update my lacing report's as the first 6er I had, ( maybe the glass, I don't know ) did not leave any signifigant lacing, however it now leave's quite a bit, very nice. Very rich and very satisfying to say the least. I love this brew....

hopman333, Mar 01, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Orange liquid with soft off white foam head interspersed with medium bubbles, lots of small carbonation bubbles, medium lacing.

S = Grapefruit zest, pineapple, fresh breakfast biscuits show up in the background.

T = Quite a bit of bitterness from the tip of the tongue on back with no real balancing sweetness or body until the very back of the tongue. The taste of citrus rinds abounds - lemon and grapefruit mostly but a hint of orange as well. Long dry finish. This is a pretty simple beer and I was hoping for more complexity. Really seems to be little more than a delivery system for bitterness. Though I expect and like my IPAs to have that strong hops bitterness and flavor, this is just too one note. It is far from the most bitter IPA you will ever have, but there just seems little else other than the bitterness to add interest.

M = Medium-light body, fair mouthcoating, stings the tongue a bit though.

D = Certainly a drinkable beer but just not interesting enough to make me want much more.

Traquairlover, Mar 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bought at Playstation 777 - Blue Lake Casino. A stones throw away from Mad River Brewery.

A - Pours a fluffy, white, tightly beaded head. Color is a deep golden hue, very close to SNPA.

S - Hugely piney, touching on citrusy and grassy.

T - A different take on an IPA, touching on IIPA...Extra IPA, I guess it fits.

M - Typical. Nothing extraordinary.

D - I found this very drinkable considering the category. After a while, the piney hop taste went away, and I wanted more. Much more.

HalenRush, Mar 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Hazy orange/copper body, little in carbonation streams, topped by three fingers plus of fluffy sticky white bubbles.

Assertive juicy citrus aroma, backed by pine.

A solid stream of malt flows directly up the center of the tongue, paintng a guideline for juicy citrus as it engulfs the mouth. Drys after the swallow.

Firm solid mouthfeel. Wonderfully drinkable.

It won't replace Celebration, but the wait will be a bit easier now.

RonfromJersey, Mar 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful reddish amber with tons of bubbles and a decent white head that doesn't linger too long.

Smell: First smell to hit the nostrils is hops. Not quite as strong as I was expecting. People told me this was a hop-bomb, and the hops are present, but there are also citrusy and piney (edit: very piney) notes that mellow the smell of hops somewhat.

Taste: Smooth. The hops become almost an afterthought. An implosion of pine and citrus. It reminds me of the juniper bushes in front of my old house. Slightly bitter towards the end, but rounding out to a maltier finish than expected.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than I was looking forward to. This strikes me as less "Extra" and more "regular" IPA-ish.

Drinkability: This could be a solid session beer for me. I know anything over 6% ABV is supposed to be non-session-able, but this is a very smooth IPA. I had to review my second beer because my girlfriend distracted me during the first, and by the time I looked down, it was gone.

I was stoked about the Torpedo Extra IPA. I kept asking when it was going to make it Kansas, and I'm glad it did. It was quite the hop-tacular that I was expecting, but there are enough of those to go around. I'm glad this is going to be a year-round offering because it's a solid IPA that I could see myself falling back on whenever there's not something special in my fridge, and I could be perfectly okay with that.

COBeerBuff, Mar 01, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Half inch of off white head, quickly recedes, though leaves a filmy cap of lace. Slight flecks of lace on the glass. Color is clear orange/amber. Lazy carbonation activity.

Smell is mildly citrus and fruity. Taste is solid grapefruit and orange juices and finishes with a rind tartness. Malt isn't really detected.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Finishes with a tart puckering aftertaste. Very enjoyable, and the ABV is not felt. This is a really good IPA, and I'm glad it will be available year round.

Blipped "I'm Your Torpedo" by Eagles of Death Metal

bort11, Mar 01, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass. The pour was deep, clear copper color with minimal head but plenty of lacing.

This one screams hoppy pines and very little else. This was certainly indicative of the taste to come.

The first sip brought forth an abrasive flavor of hops that lingered uncomfortably on the roof and tongue of the mouth; very little balance here. I was about ready to dismiss this one as a hop bomb out of control. However, if you let the ale warm a little, there is a little malt flavor and overall mellowness that does give a little balance.

A good amount of carbonation and medium bodied mouthfeel, after it warms some and settles down.

Not my favorite offering from this brewery, though it is certainly worth trying if you enjoy strong northwest hopped ales. The initial taste was harsh, but it did improve.

jkrich, Mar 01, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Heard this was best a little warmer, so I left it out of the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring into a pint.

Appearance: Lovely golden and ruby tones in clear liquid with little visible combination. Rocky 3 finger light tan head leaves behind tremendous sticky lacing and retains at about 1/2 a finger.

Smell: Not as overpowering as I expected from an "extreme" IPA. Very nice mild balance of grainy malt and citrus and floral hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Feel is surprisingly creamy and wet and fades immediately to a clean vapor after the beer is swallowed. The alcohol taste is very present in the aftertaste. Piney and citrus characters come through very presently with a crisp toasty malt. Very pungent, astringent bitterness with a clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: Moderate - would definitely need to pair this with food to keep going.

kels, Mar 01, 2009

Nice golden amber with moderate head and decent lacing. Carbonation is visible in the tulip glass.

Bigger on the pine than the citrus, both of which I was led to expect by the label. A little more citrus and fruit would be nice.

Taste hits me with a nice dose of hop bitterness as well as a little more of a sweet malt backbone than I would have expected.

Mouthfeel leaves me wanting more. A little thin and I can't help comparing it to the creamier and fuller Celebration. Quite drinkable - it will be no problem having a few of these.

I liked this beer quite a bit and will no doubt be drinking it regularly. However, again I can't help thinking I would rather they make Celebration available year round.

roscoehnj, Feb 28, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Nice crisp, clear, auburn color. Not much head, but what was there left nice spidery lacing.

A: A little more malty than what I was expecting. Nice cascade hop aroma, lemon, and grapefruit.

T: The first sip was just out of the fridge and nothing to write home about. But as the beer warms, the hops start to come out. I get nice citrus, grass, and orange peel. The crystal malt gives this one nice balance.

M: Smooth, medium body. very little carbonation, but leaves a bitter sting at the back end.

D: Nice. I like this beer, not world class by any means, but a good offering. 7.2% is just about right, but this is not on par with some of the great IPA's of the world. Skal.

Gtreid, Feb 28, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

This one poured out a crisp, clear brownish red, with hints of orange around the edges where the light penetrated most. Thin head with very good, intricate lacing.

The smell is mainly of orange and other citrus, but there is also some light dough profile from the malt in the back.

The taste is primarily the malty dough flavor for me. There is a definite hop bitterness, and they compliment each other nicely. The hop bite is definite, but a little short.

Mouthfeel is good, medium body but very easy to move around. Leaves a bit of a spicy tingle in the mouth and throat.

This one had a 5 on drinkability before I took multiple more sips, and it ended up at a 4 because of the slight heavy profile of the malt.

tittymcj, Feb 28, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a medium amber, bright copper color with a dense, rocky off-white head. Beautiful tracing covers the side of the glass; clarity is excellent. Aromas are extremely herbaceous and spicy with black pepper and orange dominating followed by some spicy alcohol. A real citrus zing is not to be found in this beer. On the palate, the first thing that hits me is the huge mouthfeel for an IPA. It is extremely full bodied and has a solid malty background. The hops, however, just aren't as huge as I'd like them to be. It's plenty bitter, but the presence and flavor is really lacking; nowhere near as good as Celebration. Worth a shot, and is well priced, but I'd like the see the afformentioned produced year-round over this one.

dreadnatty08, Feb 28, 2009
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.