Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12ounce bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- Poured a lackluster pale copper tea with a vigorous lively two fingered head that fades to a thin coating. Lacing is exceptional bringing back fond memories of past beer.

Smell- Not nearly the intense hop nose I had expected from this brew. A very sweet quality to this beer is present and almost as poignant as the citrus and fruit essence from the hops. A woody note presents itself in conjunction with a slight whiff of phenols reminding me of fine Scotch whisky.

Taste- Not as sweet as the nose would have lead me to believe but still enough malty sweetness to provide good contrast against the hop profile. A strong bite of bitter earth tones plays in contrast to a sweet grapefruit and citrus. A wood, vanilla flavour accents the sweet malt to create a very pleasing taste.

Mouthfeel- Aesthetically very pleasing with a medium body, crisp clean carbonation, and a slight drying effect.

Drinkability- A very drinkable beer, balanced, with a strong malt backbone. Sierra Nevada has a characteristic flavour to every beer they brew and this beer most certainly has that flavour.

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark amber lots of carbonation. Nice fluffy head

S- Smells fantastic. The hoppiness is evident, but also smells piney

T- Throws this one off for me. It's too much hop finish. The pine taste is right at the beginning and is a nice start, but the swallow leaves a terrible bitter aftertaste.

M- Carbonated for sure, feels light and almost bubbly in the mouth.

D- I didn't like this one so my drinkability is going to be lower. However, I know alot of people really enjoy this beer, the abv is not bad and you could easily drink a few.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A = pours deep amber into tulip, what you normally expect from SN. Dots of bubble lacing the side of the glass
S = citrus, but more piney with some funky fresh grassy aroma as well, very nice, like woods after spring rain.
T = great malty bitterness from beginning to end.
M = creamy, foamy carbonation, very similar in feel to SN Celebration Ale, coats your mouth and keeps the bitterness lingering for some time.
D = don't notice the ABV yet, but at 7.2 will limit to 2 per session. This is a winner.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Nice. I poured it into a regular lager pint and it had a nice orange color with low transparency. On top was a nice finger's width of head with beautiful lacing.

S- Sweet. Citrusy. Hoppy. Like you'd expect from an IPA.

T- Smooth taste with a very dry after bite. Still getting citrus notes and lots of aroma.

M- Prickly from carbonation, otherwise the beer itself is smooth in the mouth.

D- Awesome. I wish I had more. At 7.2% ABV, this is a nice, tasty beer that'll keep me and I think anybody else out there, going all night.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a moderate amber color somewhere between red and gold, moderate to heavy carbonation with little head.

S - On the floral side, definite hop character.

T - Ironically it is more akin to a British IPA than an American IPA; the hops never did come out and punch you in the face. All things considered though this is still a great brew, there is almost no malt for sweetness but the hops are balanced enough to offer a somewhat citrus beginning and a spicy finish which makes up for the moderate bitterness.

M - Satisfying heaviness and warmth as it swashed around in my mouth and went down.

D - Goes down easy enough but with such a high abv I would stop at one.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Geat smell and taste from this beer. Its appearance isn't anything special, but that doesn't really matter with a beer this flavorful. You can really taste a pine-ish tone to it with just the right amount of bitterness to complement it. The only downside to the beer is, for me, it's a little too strong to drink more than 2 or 3 in a row. But with a higher ABV, who needs that?

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: The beer is the color of a summer sunset. The head was ample while dissipating fairly quickly though leaving nice lacing. The beer was a wee bit too far on the opaque side.

Smell: I just don't get a whole lot in the bouquet. I expect a lot more from an american double ipa. I'm looking for big esters or florals, but its subtle. I get a little grapefruit and pine.

Taste: There is that big hop assault on your palate that you would expect and want from a IPA. The pine comes through with nice florals. However, I would like to get more of the grapefruit and esters to come through in the taste.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer excels. The carbonation, the bitterness- it is a wonderful moment when it hits your tongue, cheeks, and throat. It makes your mouth feel alive and completely engaged in the drinking experience.

Drinkability: This is a good, quality IPA that offers a nice drinking experience.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours out a golden light amber brew. Hazy with a fluffy one finger head. Light medium carbonation. Smells wonderful, sweet,hoppy but not overbearing/overpowering. Taste, very hoppy, not unbalanced, sweet malt backbone very well done. A higher alcohol beer, but alcohol is well concealed. Mouthfeel is nice and rounded,,not thin. Very good beer {i love all sierra nevada products}. Drinkability is good but not a session beer. A tad too hoppy for that.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Overall, a nice (oddly) balanced American IPA.
Looks good.
Smells good.. a tad sweet, but a nice floral, fruity hoppy nose.
In terms of taste, the finish is really nice.. notes of ambrosia, pineapple and mouth tingling herbs as it fades into a lingering bitterness. Upfront, however, there is a cotton candy sweetness that really bugs me. The flavors manage to balance eachother out, but I prefer less of those banana sweet spikes in my 7% range IPAs.
Mouthfeel is messed up a little, consequently.
Still drinks just fine.. the fresher the better.
Considering it's price and availability, depending on where you are it may be a good choice. But IMO it is not even in the same league as the likes of Green Flash West Coast, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Surly Furious, or even New Belgium Ranger. Then again, I like a more earthy, consumingly abrassive IPA. I do think it is well worth seeking Torpedo out if the likes of Bell's Two Hearted is in your faves.. reminds me of it quite a bit.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear dark orange body. About a half inch of head with good retention and lacing.

S: This beer smells amazing. At first it is a punch in the nose, but in a good way. Very hoppy with some citrus notes. I love this aroma.

T: One of my favorite types of beers is an IPA and this is one of my favorite tasting IPAs. Right when it hits your tongue it is sweet, but the bitter hoppiness jumps in and builds. It leaves a great earthy aftertaste that remains for a long time.

M: A little heavier mouthfeel than most IPAs. Has a good level of carbonation.

D: I could put back a six pack of these. They have good drinkability but the flavors are so strong it will destroy your pallet to other beers afterwards.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A: nice white head. colored light amber beer with high carbonation

S: rich hoppy aroma; very earthy and piny. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T: surprises with less piney taste than in smell. solid hops taste of earthy hops- --tettnanger/hallertau? -- on top of a welcoming bitterness.

M: Nice mouthfeel

D: Not for beginners! You need to love IPA and bitter beers. Take one and taste it.
IPA lovers will go for more than one; good drinkability

Torpedo Extra IPA is to Sierra Nevada's standard IPA like Willie Mays to a 7-year old tee ball player. They are not even close to being in the same league.

Standard Sierra Nevada is fine when you're someplace when the other choices all end in "lite." However, if you have the option to be discriminating, you should go Torpedo or stay home.

The color is a deep amber, and the foam holds up excellently. The flavor is strong, but not overpowering. This is one of my favorites.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.3 Plato bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.2 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 65 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 341ml bottle into a tulip, bottle thanks to freud via BIF! Had this in my sights for quite some time, great to finally get my hands on this. Popping the cap on this bad boy, and all I get is hops, hops, hops from the bottle. Piney hops. Poured this out and gave a nice couple finger head, dissipated to a thin, creamy looking layer with a golden brown/red body. Thick and chunky lacing. Sniffing this and I'm getting lots of hops, piney again. Taste is hoppy too, piney, a bit sweet with very little malt coming through. Great mouthfeel, not too carbonated or anything. Dangerously drinkable, ABV is not at all discernable until you've put one back, definitely quaffable and something I'd definitely look to pick up next time I'm in the states.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Pours a clear pale orange color with a chunky 1 inch head that fades to a small 1/2 inch cap. Most excellent lacing all the way down the glass.

S - Smells of fragrant pine/citrus hops. I get no other smell from this beer.

T - Tastes of fragrant pine/citrus hops only. Very hoppy.

M - Somewahat flat and this one left an acid/oil quality in my mouth from what I can assume are the hops.

D - Fair drinkability. I wouldn't buy this one again, but I might have another at a restaurant or a BBQ.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours the standard copper/amber. Nice head retention.

S - Smells like an IPA. I was just expecting a little more floral/citrus/anything to kick me in the face when it's called an Extra IPA.

T - Oh. There's the hops. You can tell they front-loaded this thing with bittering hops. Actually pretty tasty. Malt is there, which is nice, but kinda sweet which throws the balancing off a bit. Nice hope flavor, but I was expecting a little more.

M - One thing about SN beers, it's always nice drinking. Carbonation and body are spot on at medium, with no alcohol burn from the 7%.

D - There's nothing stopping you from enjoying this all night, except for your tolerance.

I had this beer when I first started researching my IPAs and IPA+es, and I thought it was nectar of the gods. Now, stepping back, it's a very enjoyable IPA, just not one of the elite, and I really don't thing it calls for the "Extra."

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-Copper/amber color

-Hints of mint and a strong citrus aroma

-You can tell this IPA has good amount of hops from the lingering bitterness left in your mouth

-Good balance of combination, malt, and hops

-Overall a really good double/imperial IPA

-Good job Sierra Neveda!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I'm giving it 4 on drinkability as you can't really quaff a beer at 7.2%, but this is as good as an "imperial" type ale gets. The west coast knows know to do it; sorry Sam, sorry Doghead, you're out of your league here (and I'm nor'east Yankee). The west coast knows their hop, they know the malt, their yeast is better (sorry Sh1tyard), their water is better up there in no'Cal. Everything conspires to make this a treat, and you don't taste the alcohol burn that plagues East of the Mississippi attempts at this style.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%

Love this Sierra Nevada offering. Just found out this is a year rounder which is odd, because all of the places I pick this up in NJ always have it in stock from March through June then it disappears until next year. Hopefully 2010 will be different.

Comes dribbling from the bottle in a orangey amber love cataract. Decent head manifests and lovely lace is present as I swig this bad mutha down.

Delicious pine, mild grapefruit rind. All could be summed up as a woodsy/herbal/citrus nature lover perfume. Total perfume. Becomes sensually heavy as it warms.

Delicious hop tang with a malt on the back Barely perceptible alcohol.

Not thick. Not thin by any means. I could pound a few but not a lot if you catch my drift. Hoppy tongue-glue accumulates as you progress.

Highly drinkable but you need to exercise some restraint. I have had lapses in judgement with this lovely and although I paid dearly, I've never written this one off as a result. Soooo sexy

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This was possibly one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Drinking this has inspired me to plant a few magnum hop rhizomes in my backyard in a feeble attempt to clone. The aroma is absolutely breathtaking - compliments of the generous dry hopping. Strong citrus and pine. I poured my first beer in my kitchen, went into the bedroom for a few minutes, and could literally smell the hops in the air when I came back. Carbonation and head retention were just where they should be (when poured). Taste was strong, without being overpowering. Not one of those IPA's where you can smell the hops but barely taste them. Part of this is because Sierra Nevada uses whole cone hops instead of pellets or hop extract. Strong pine/citrus flavors, with a rounded malt profile, slightly bready. I've found that this beer lends itself well to being consumed directly from the bottle (sacrilegious in some circles - but allows you to approach the beer from a new perspective).

Next to Stone IPA it is quite likely my favorite beer (at the moment, I go through quite a bit of favorites over the course of a year).

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Excited to drink this. Great presentation.

A- Very clear amber topped with a slightly yellowish froth. Bubbles rise one by one. Nice ordinary lacing.

S- Really smells like fresh hops. Magnum like. Malt gives a sweet rose water and maybe soft honey.

T- I like it. This is the first time I can really say a beer tastes biscuity. A bit like animal crackers. Now I recently read a thread on the forum with someone saying it was a biscuity mess and that Torpedo shouldn't taste this way but this is my first time trying it so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. Other than that, it's a pretty standard IPA with strong hop presence - piney with a grapefruit bitterness. Alcohol after-taste.

M- Medium carbonation, not very dry but gritting thanks to the hop oils. Medium bodied.

D- Very good. Quite bitter but balanced. A lively, everyday easy drinker.

I'm not going nuts for it but it's a damn good beer.
I'd introduce someone to IIPA with this.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Poured into Stone IPA glass

A: wonderful copper color with good lace around that glass head is off white and poured a good head but it did not stick around that long.

S: Citrus and pine you can get some malts if you search for em but its hop centric

T: Taste is quite like the smell citrus and pine but not that bitter real enjoyable.

M: medium light body carbonation is quite light

D: 2 or 3 can go down easy

overall: its a classic IPA and I can see why its so popular.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

In honor of my 47,349th Torpedo IPA quaffed, here is the review...

A - Pours brassy copper, with a decent head, minor lace.

S - Piney, dank, resiny hops. Good stuff.

T - Same as the nose. Woody, piney, cedary hops sit upon a rich but complementary malt backbone. This is a hell of an IPA for the grocery store.

M - Pretty substantial feel. Fairly dry, and with a long lingering finish.

D - I am a big fan. Sierra Nevada is almost always good.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured a light brown color with a slight orange tint. Approx 3/4 in of off white head which quickly settled into a thin layer on top, but left a good deal of lacing down the backside of the glass

S: Lots of citrus, as well as some herb notes which remind me of chopped cilantro

T: Rather sweet and citrus-y at first, which is followed with the hops and more of the herbal and spice flavors. There is a bitterness at the end that creates a very good overall balance. As it sits and warms the hop profile comes out more and the citrus is muted.

M: Seems to be a high amount of carbonation which gives it a very full mouthfeel

D: A very well balanced beer with complex flavors that don't overwhelm.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

12oz bottle on the Winking Lizard beer tour 2010 - this was beer #39 for me!

So, I've heard a lot about this beer. I have avoided it though as I really have been dissapointed at how (IMO) all of Sierra's hoppy beers taste very much alike. But this was something that was at least a bit different and something I would have again!

Poured into my open glass, it's an orange color with a nice head that sticks around. Looks really good, and much brighter than expected.

Smell is subdued a touch. This new citra hop has some tropical hints, some pineapple and mango. But it's just not jumping out at me.

Taste is nice though. Toasty caramel malt provides a touch of sweetness while the dry hops give a citrus kick. Grapefruit and pine, touch of earthyness or spice too. Something different from SN - yay!

Mouthfeel is good. Adaquate carb and the body is actually really nice, just enough malt but not too heavy.

Drinkability was great, this went down well and had me ordering another quickly. Bottom line, I like Sierra mixing it up. This is a good step outside the norm for them!

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Slight head, solid lace, deep orange, slight carbonation

S: I could smell it from two feet away, like an air freshener. Sweet, fruity scent that reminded me of a bouquet of flowers with a little pine toning it down. Impressive.

M: Raisin and bitter at the end. Foams up really well as the flavors expand. Jujyfruit sweet going out.

T: When I first had this from the bottle, I wasn't unhappy that I couldn't make it to my favorite microbrew. This made up for it in spades. So much going on, yet everything blending so well. Grapefruit at the beginning, tempered with a malt that steps in. Raisin is weaker, bitter juicy fruit, tempered. Bit of an alcoholic burn, but not strong.

D: Second sixer. This is Celebration, with more manners. Will drink lots.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.