Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,742 | Hads: 10,072

Wow. I read alot about this beer and couldn't wait to try it. Pours a delicious amber color, nice head. Then the smell of piney resiny hops punch you in the nose. Its like putting your nose inside a bag of fresh hops and inhaling as deep as you can go. I can't stop smelling it as I'm drinking it. The only time I set the glass down is as I write this. The taste is just awesome. I am getting more hop flavor out of this than most DIPAs! For a second I thought it WAS a DIPA. The blend of pine, herbs and citrus really all stand out on their own, while complimenting each other at the same time. Perfect. Nice and easy malt backbone to mellow it all out and make it come together. At $8.99/6 pack, this can't be beat. This is why I drink beer! I can't say enough about it. Good lacing all the way down. I am so happy this is available all year round! If you can get it, the do so! If you like hops, this is for you. (915 characters)

Have to say that this is one of my favorites.

A: Very nice white head. Light amber color with great carbonation.

S: Subtle earthy/citrus hops aroma.

T: Strong hops flavor with a nice citrus touch.

M: Nice mouthfeel with excellent carbonation.

O: Awesome choice for true hops lovers. Flavorful, but still smooth enough to enjoy.

As a home brewer, I do love hops. But, it's easy for some beer companies to just pile on the hops and brag about it. But unless the hops are balanced to work with each other, it is just a waste. Torpedo uses Magnum, Crystal and Citra hops, which work so perfect together. Excellent hop balance! (629 characters)

This ale smells and tastes like the Big Sur CA coast, with a mix of wild sage, pine, and citrus. Probably the best American I've ever tasted. Extremely complex flavour profile and just lovely. It doesn't get any better than this. (229 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +21.4%

crisp, refreshing, bold, subtle grapefruit flavor...one of the best bottled IPA's out there! (280 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Sierra Nevada makes some of the best beers. I'm not expert on beer, I just love drinking it and trying new ones. 7.2% alcohol! And it tastes delicious. So crisp, so refreshing and just so flavorful. It isn't overpowering and it isn't too bitter. Just a great beer. To me, it is a great summer night beer. (305 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Bottle poured into a Laughing Dog pint glass.

My buddy gave me his last bottle of Torpedo with the promise that it would change my life, and he may be right.

Pours a gorgeous golden tawny colour with a nice finger to finger and a half of tan head that is lacy when it starts to dissipate.

Smells nicely floury and slightly citrusy, but also hints of sweetness from the malt.

First taste was surprising, it just may be the most balanced IPA I have ever had. Nicely sweet, bitter, acidic, citrus and piny notes, but nothing overpowering anything else.

Feels excellent on the mouth, nicely carbonated just enough to keep your mouth interested.

For a beer at 7.2% I think its dangerously easy to drink!!! No issue for me to go into a number of these in order. Definitely a must buy when I can find it again. (812 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Great beer, exactly what an IPA should taste like and smell like.

This is my classic go to. Rich hop taste and aroma. Very piney and crisp. Refreshing on the palette, not to thick, or muddy.

Availability is a plus. And for being a larger craft brew, the consistency of the beer is spot on. (293 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

This is the best beer, not just India Pale Ale I have ever had. As I mentioned in my Sierra Pale Ale review, that beer took me out of hte Miller Lite and Bud Light phase of my life into the craft brew phase.

I rate this higher than Dogfish or Titan or any of the other supposed IPA champs. This has the same mouthfeel that the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has, but with some extra hoppiness.

Plus this is much more affordable than other similar hoppy beers like Dogfish 90 minute...which is 4 beers for $15 versus 6 of these for $10. (529 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

A: nice white head. colored light amber beer with high carbonation

S: rich hoppy aroma; very earthy and piny. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T: surprises with less piney taste than in smell. solid hops taste of earthy hops- --tettnanger/hallertau? -- on top of a welcoming bitterness.

M: Nice mouthfeel

D: Not for beginners! You need to love IPA and bitter beers. Take one and taste it.
IPA lovers will go for more than one; good drinkability (476 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

A- The head is off-white, and the beer is a nice hazy, amber color. The head stuck around, about half of a finger's width, all the way down, leaving lots of nice lacing.

Ar- It almost smells of gummy worms... There's this sweetness, a piney, scent, and the malts. Yes - piney, citrus aromas backed by some malt.

T- The flavor is so pleasant. It's a perfect balance of malt and piney, floral/citrus hops. In other words, it's 50% creamy/malty and 50% bitter. But the bitterness is actually really, really nice. Even for those who may not like bitter beers, this is really a different kind of bitter. It compliments the malts so nicely.

M- the mouthfeel is medium.

O- Wow. This beer is worth the money. Go buy it. (717 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat. (1,656 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

Holy hot damn, this beer is AMAZING!! Hops, hops, and more hops, BUT it's not overpowering, as the sweet finish overtakes it at the end. The piney hops are to die for, this beer has become my overall go-to beer when it comes to a year round offering that is at a reasonable price, yet has the same amazing world-class qualities of a high priced beer. Sierra Nevada is flat amazing, especially with their torpedo brewing machine, bringing out such unique and awesome flavors. This beer is World-Class, like the Bros. have it rated above. (536 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Big malt and big sticky resinous hops in just the right proportions. Highly drinkable but dangerous, since its ABV is well hidden. My go-to beer, and a bargain at a local price of about $15/12.
Update 7/15/15: I just noticed a significant amount of sediment in a bottle of Torpedo. I thought this beer wasn't bottle conditioned, but it looks like it is. (353 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

A- Pours a rich, copper colour with a vibrant off-white 2 finger head that lasts a decent amount of time. Nice lacing.

S- Smells fantastic! There is that dominant citrus/pine smell one comes to expect from an IPA but there is so much more. Rich,complex and very pleasant.

T- A truly delicious taste dominated by an overwhelming presence of hops. This is not without intricacy though, as I can taste a good amount of malt flavours and some green apple sweetness. The alcohol content is completely and utterly masked at over 7% ABV. I am very impressed by this.

M- The excellent level of carbonation really adds to the robust character of this beer. The body has a nice, sticky but fairly easy texture which, again, augments this brew's character.

O- This is an exceptional beer. This drunk with all the flavour of a double IPA yet with the drinkability of a single without any compromise at all. I love this and will be buying a lot more of it in the future. (962 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Amazingly pretty dark orange with brownish head that hangs around the whole time you're drinking it. Rich and thick like honey.

S: This is one of those beers that when you smell the empty bottle the next morning, it smells good.

T: Rich and dark malt, heavy dark fruit, grapefruit hops, florals, biscuits, peat, earth.

M: Full but not too heavy or "thick."

Value: How can anyone complain about Torpedo? For the price, this is THE BEST strong IPA out there and they sell it in my nearby 7-11. There is one neat store in my neighborhood where I can buy this in a 12 pack for $12.99. At a little more than a buck per beer, I dare you to find something even close. As good as IPA's twice as expensive. (705 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a great copper color with wonderful initial head, excellent lasting head, and some very nice lacing as it goes down. It has a deep scent, very bitter and piney, with enough citrus to keep the edge off. Great taste, a wonderful bitter with great hop attributes: a great pine, Christmas tree forest like; hints of citrus, some nice pineapple/orange; bit of English hops to give it a nice cross-Atlantic flavor. Very smooth, no alcohol flavor which is great, and has a long lingering pine hop flavor. A great IPA. (516 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

I love this IPA. It is reliably consistent, and the hop aroma and taste are almost unique. the citrus aroma and flavor keep it fresh tasting, and it is so smooth and balanced that I can drink it all night. While it doesn't have unique flavors, it does have a reliable and refreshing flavor that makes it a safe selection for almost any situation. I love it. (357 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

another excellent IPA - one I purchase and savor over other great IPA's. Bold and full of flavor . Well balanced; bitter, very drinkable, very tasty hops. Easy to get- reasonably priced. Can not think of any other IPA out there that is consistently great! A 'world class' IPA from California Overall, an extremely well made beer. (329 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clarity that is consistent with the Sierra Nevada line. Deep amber color with a caramel-frosting colored head - think carrot cake in color. Big fluffy head made a big bubblers. Significant lacing.

S - Like sticking your nose in a bag of hops. Big, bright, pure hop smell. Wonderfully floral and bitter. Perfect is a word that comes to mind. Just what I'm looking for when I reach for an American IPA.

T - Wonderfully balanced while still packing a punch. Big hop flavor - banana, grapefruit, flowers are all present. The finish leaves a lingering bitterness that is very pleasant - none of that puckerface action sometimes associated with an IPA. A paramount example of the style.

MF/D - Very drinkable, especially conisdering the alcohol content. Delightfully interesting mouthfeel.

I can't reccomend this beer enough. Another great offering from SN that will please any fan of the style. Try this out immediately! (966 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Rich-Brown/ Red-copper (medium tan), decent head. Good consistent presentation.

Hops and citrus flavours in the appealing aroma.

Good strong taste with rich, chocolate and hoppy notes with a citrus tang, yet balanced and not too zesty.

Decent mouthfeel even though I don't usually palate citrus notes.

I will definitely be coming back for more of this! Drank four pints over the course of an evening visit to the pub and was a highlight of proceedings! (456 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Pours a gorgeous dark golden color with an exquisite, half-inch head that admirably embraces the glass. Truly an impeccable first impression.

S: An paramount hop essence floods the nose well before the first sip. Upon a more in-depth observation reveals an underlying malt sweetness. However, the extensive citrusy odor from the hops is still a little overwhelming.

T: Almost identical to the smell, but this is where the malt sweetness combines perfectly with the hoppy bitterness. Perfectly balanced and undeniably delicious.

M: The malt sweetness makes it appear to be quite smooth initially, but this is quickly removed by the sticky, bitterness of the hops.

O: When I think "IPA," I think Sierra Nevada Torpedo. This brew perfectly defines American IPAs, and the gratification of knowing it is readily available at an impeccable price makes it the perfect choice. Definitely worthy of a try! (904 characters)

This is my go to beer.

A: Dark golden reddish color.

S: Hops hops and more hops.

T: What I think a IPA should taste like. Tastes even better as you drink more (bottles).

M: It does not feel like a rather strong beer.

O: I love this beer.

Comments: My options are probably way too subjective as this is the beer that got me into beer. (340 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a consistently well balanced, well hopped beer. It's my first choice wherever I go. It's not so hoppy that it tastes like I've bitten into a pine tree, but the taste and drinkability is outstanding. Some beers can fluctuate with taste. I know exactly what to expect with a torpedo and ask for it by name at each establishment. (334 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: nice shade of almost a dark orange. Almost looks unfiltered but you can see through it. Smell: citrus, fruit, hops, pine. Taste: amazing! Very fruity with just enough hopiness to prove that it is an IPA. Feel: perfect, just the right amount of carbonation and not too heavy/ light. Also has a wonderful aftertaste but it doesn't linger very long. Overall, one of the best IPA's I've ever had! I would Recommend this beer to anyone that enjoys Good beer. (459 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18%

this is by far my favorite ipa right now for the price 8.70 a sixer
a-great color all around looked deceiving as i could smell it sitting a foot away
s-very piney evergreen like totaly creative craft here
t-doesnt really matter what other beer you had before this one so powerful
m-taste of fresh evergreen on my palate i love this beer
d-although i could drink a whole sixer and would love to but i might not be able to do that cause the alchohal
solid beer from sierra nevada but we should expect that im so glad they made this year round (545 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.