Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,944 | Reviews: 2,817

Ok so IPA addict here. I lika the piney. If it wasn't for beautiful hoppy floral awesomeness like this I wouldn't even bother. Amazing beer. Abv hidden impeccably. Just damn perfect. All other ipa should bow to this beast. Pairs well with uhhm...breathing. Mouthfeel is full and creamy like it should be. Nose is like walking through a Christmas tree forest. Leviathian, great divide, snake handler, green flash, all others do not compare. Nice, clean, consistent and refreshing.

This is my absolute favorite beer, I am sure with its mass year around release it won't get respect of a Pliny the Elder or what not but I prefer it over any beer in its class. Sierra Nevada loaded a hop flavor in torpedo that is unmatched by anything else, huge aroma's and tastes of fruit and pine. The 7% alcohol tastes like it might as well be 3% as it is completely drowned out by the taste of fresh hops. Some how the beer has very low bitter foreground with a nice bitter finish. Love this beer.

Edit: Looking down a couple reviews will say holds same excellence in the can, and as an avid disc golfer love the light weight and portabillity

for anyone who wants true and pure ipa, this is it. satisfyingly bitter with just enough smooth mouth to please the discerning palate. have tried
red hook's long hammer ipa, stone's ipa, flying
dog's snake dog ipa, harpoon's ipa, whole food's
four-in-hand ipa....

in the order of preference:

torpedo
four-in-hand
stone ipa
long hammer
harpoon
snake dog

but the ipa that started it all for me was stone's ruination ipa...i can no longer return to
yellow "pissy" beer.

After a gradual graduation from the "Bud Light" of the early years to the better brewed Yuengling Lager, to the Black and Tan, to the Pale Ale of Sierra Nevada, and the thousands of beers in between, I have settled on this crisp IPA. Everything else now tastes like very sweet Kool Aid. This is a very high quality beer for the price. Having property in NC close to their new brewery is a plus too. By far, my favorite beer after decades of searching.

Try as I might, I cannot find a beer I prefer to Torpedo.

I'm going to try and keep this succinct, because I could go on forever about my love for this ale. So here are the basic points:

This brew is strong, tastes like a hops orgy, and you can hardly notice the flavor of alcohol. Must I say more? Sure!

This beer is so hoppy that its aftertaste reminds me of Cannabis. By this I mean the hops content is downright skunky, but 110% inoffensive in nature. The flavor is akin to the smell of a large, fresh bag of medical ganja.

I am really amazed at the amount of hops they manage to pack into this fucker without ending up with a bitter, smoothie-like beer. Immensely hoppy as far as aromas and flavors are concerned; sometimes if I've been drinking it and engage in physical activity I can actually smell the hops aroma coming out of my pores.

Carbonation is perfect, bitterness is perfect, strength is a bit stronger than moderate. I can almost not get enough of this beer; after drinking it exclusively for a few months I've gotten mildly burnt out on the flavor, but I'm about ready to go back.

I really don't even know what else to say about this beer, aside from that it is probably my favorite beer I've ever tried and that if you haven't tried it, you ought to now. There are some brews I enjoy thoroughly which I don't really consider a necessity for existence, but this is NOT one of those brews.

***THIS IS A NECESSITY FOR EXISTENCE***. Swear to god. I almost wish nobody had turned me onto it so I wouldn't realize how good beer could really be. Enjoy guys

Disclaimer:
OK. I drink what I like. I usually choose IPAs. My apologies to Beer Advocate (the greatest website and magazine in the world), but, alas, I'm going to totally manipulate the ratings to reach my own preferred generic, overall rating. Honestly, I don't care about the appearance, smell or mouthfeel. Here's my rating system:

5.0: The BEST
4.0: Hella good
3.0: Decent
2.0: Better than Lone Star
1.0: Worse than Lone Star

(PS. Lone Star gets a bad rep.)

Review:
I love IPAs. Period. This is one of the best.

I lived in Portland for several years. Had I never experienced the perfection that is Terminal Gravity IPA, this would be the best beer ever.

I live in Austin. This is the best beer available. Runner up for the best beer ever. Sierra Nevada is kind of a punk. They hook me on Torpedo, pull it off the market, put it back, pull it off, and now its back. This makes me angry/sad.

Torpedo is ridiculously hoppy and not for the faint of heart. But for the IPA lovers, this is the greatest thing to ever grace your grocery store beer aisle. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a peer, but ultimately falls slightly below when considering the non-Beer Advocate factors such as availability and price (for the working class beer lovers out there). I have nothing but praise for this beer.

In fact ... yesterday, I was at my local Spec's (the greatest liquor store in the world), when a very large, boisterous and apparently drunk, smelly man ran my wife from the beer aisle while I was shopping for an experimental beer (Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout ... awesome!) and my staple IPA. I'll be damned if, after a hell of a lot of weirdness, I didn't pick up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which led to the deepest Friday evening disappointment in recent history. Fortunately, the Texas game is today, so, at 10am this morning, I returned a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the Torpedo, and I am a happy, happy man. (and Go Longhorns.)

Bottom Line: If you ain't in Portland, Oregon, you won't find a better IPA. Period. Double cheers to Sierra Nevada, bringing good beer to (most of) the world.

Wow. I read alot about this beer and couldn't wait to try it. Pours a delicious amber color, nice head. Then the smell of piney resiny hops punch you in the nose. Its like putting your nose inside a bag of fresh hops and inhaling as deep as you can go. I can't stop smelling it as I'm drinking it. The only time I set the glass down is as I write this. The taste is just awesome. I am getting more hop flavor out of this than most DIPAs! For a second I thought it WAS a DIPA. The blend of pine, herbs and citrus really all stand out on their own, while complimenting each other at the same time. Perfect. Nice and easy malt backbone to mellow it all out and make it come together. At $8.99/6 pack, this can't be beat. This is why I drink beer! I can't say enough about it. Good lacing all the way down. I am so happy this is available all year round! If you can get it, the do so! If you like hops, this is for you.

Have to say that this is one of my favorites.

A: Very nice white head. Light amber color with great carbonation.

S: Subtle earthy/citrus hops aroma.

T: Strong hops flavor with a nice citrus touch.

M: Nice mouthfeel with excellent carbonation.

O: Awesome choice for true hops lovers. Flavorful, but still smooth enough to enjoy.

As a home brewer, I do love hops. But, it's easy for some beer companies to just pile on the hops and brag about it. But unless the hops are balanced to work with each other, it is just a waste. Torpedo uses Magnum, Crystal and Citra hops, which work so perfect together. Excellent hop balance!

very hoppy, an IPA! sierra nevada Torpedo last one similiar is jeremiah red Bj restaurant! follow @irnva

This ale smells and tastes like the Big Sur CA coast, with a mix of wild sage, pine, and citrus. Probably the best American I've ever tasted. Extremely complex flavour profile and just lovely. It doesn't get any better than this.

4.99/5  rDev +20%

Perfect ipa for day/night drinking. Easy to drink, makes me feel great! I could drink a few of these in a row without getting sick of the taste.

4.99/5  rDev +20%

crisp, refreshing, bold, subtle grapefruit flavor...one of the best bottled IPA's out there!

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Sierra Nevada makes some of the best beers. I'm not expert on beer, I just love drinking it and trying new ones. 7.2% alcohol! And it tastes delicious. So crisp, so refreshing and just so flavorful. It isn't overpowering and it isn't too bitter. Just a great beer. To me, it is a great summer night beer.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Bottle poured into a Laughing Dog pint glass.

My buddy gave me his last bottle of Torpedo with the promise that it would change my life, and he may be right.

Pours a gorgeous golden tawny colour with a nice finger to finger and a half of tan head that is lacy when it starts to dissipate.

Smells nicely floury and slightly citrusy, but also hints of sweetness from the malt.

First taste was surprising, it just may be the most balanced IPA I have ever had. Nicely sweet, bitter, acidic, citrus and piny notes, but nothing overpowering anything else.

Feels excellent on the mouth, nicely carbonated just enough to keep your mouth interested.

For a beer at 7.2% I think its dangerously easy to drink!!! No issue for me to go into a number of these in order. Definitely a must buy when I can find it again.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Great beer, exactly what an IPA should taste like and smell like.

This is my classic go to. Rich hop taste and aroma. Very piney and crisp. Refreshing on the palette, not to thick, or muddy.

Availability is a plus. And for being a larger craft brew, the consistency of the beer is spot on.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This is the best beer, not just India Pale Ale I have ever had. As I mentioned in my Sierra Pale Ale review, that beer took me out of hte Miller Lite and Bud Light phase of my life into the craft brew phase.

I rate this higher than Dogfish or Titan or any of the other supposed IPA champs. This has the same mouthfeel that the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has, but with some extra hoppiness.

Plus this is much more affordable than other similar hoppy beers like Dogfish 90 minute...which is 4 beers for $15 versus 6 of these for $10.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A: nice white head. colored light amber beer with high carbonation

S: rich hoppy aroma; very earthy and piny. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T: surprises with less piney taste than in smell. solid hops taste of earthy hops- --tettnanger/hallertau? -- on top of a welcoming bitterness.

M: Nice mouthfeel

D: Not for beginners! You need to love IPA and bitter beers. Take one and taste it.
IPA lovers will go for more than one; good drinkability

4.95/5  rDev +19%

A- The head is off-white, and the beer is a nice hazy, amber color. The head stuck around, about half of a finger's width, all the way down, leaving lots of nice lacing.

Ar- It almost smells of gummy worms... There's this sweetness, a piney, scent, and the malts. Yes - piney, citrus aromas backed by some malt.

T- The flavor is so pleasant. It's a perfect balance of malt and piney, floral/citrus hops. In other words, it's 50% creamy/malty and 50% bitter. But the bitterness is actually really, really nice. Even for those who may not like bitter beers, this is really a different kind of bitter. It compliments the malts so nicely.

M- the mouthfeel is medium.

O- Wow. This beer is worth the money. Go buy it.

4.95/5  rDev +19%

My first review.

I'm not one to try explain a beer with an abundance of flowery terms. I read so many here with explanations that sound so similar but, to my taste, the results are far different. Since preference is IPA or DIPA, more the former, I judge according to these brews. Since the difference in IPA's is rarely subtle, my explanations will reflect the real distinguishing characteristics of each--to my taste buds anyway.

A mediocre IPA annihilates most others so understand this point of reference. More to my background, my daily beer evolved from SN Pale Ale to Lagunitas IPA to this beer.

Yes, this is my regular beer of choice. When I go out, I look for something different, but I'm sure as most here already know, there are only so many choices for IPA and I end up with one of these or I revert back to Lagunitas or a good ol' Pale Ale.

Ok. Get to the point. This is the third IPA from SN that I've tried. I had their original India Pale Ale on draft, and of course, the Celebration Ale (which is a quite different taste).

This one just about nails it. It has a nice malt/sweetness to just about perfectly balance the hops. No, skip the just-about part. The initial taste is a malt sweetness, followed rapidly by the hop bitter/tartness, followed by the carbonation bite. This bite is the only negative to the beer, albeit a very minor one. The alcohol taste is nicely masked as well.

One last point that should not be discounted. I find this beer to be somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes the bite and alcohol are too up front, too dominant and the wonderful subtle balance of hops and malt is masked. But a good one is hard to beat.

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

Not over the top hoppy. though i dont know what "extra" ipa means. otherwise beautifully well rounded. i might just go pour one more tonight.

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

Holy hot damn, this beer is AMAZING!! Hops, hops, and more hops, BUT it's not overpowering, as the sweet finish overtakes it at the end. The piney hops are to die for, this beer has become my overall go-to beer when it comes to a year round offering that is at a reasonable price, yet has the same amazing world-class qualities of a high priced beer. Sierra Nevada is flat amazing, especially with their torpedo brewing machine, bringing out such unique and awesome flavors. This beer is World-Class, like the Bros. have it rated above.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A- Pours a rich, copper colour with a vibrant off-white 2 finger head that lasts a decent amount of time. Nice lacing.

S- Smells fantastic! There is that dominant citrus/pine smell one comes to expect from an IPA but there is so much more. Rich,complex and very pleasant.

T- A truly delicious taste dominated by an overwhelming presence of hops. This is not without intricacy though, as I can taste a good amount of malt flavours and some green apple sweetness. The alcohol content is completely and utterly masked at over 7% ABV. I am very impressed by this.

M- The excellent level of carbonation really adds to the robust character of this beer. The body has a nice, sticky but fairly easy texture which, again, augments this brew's character.

O- This is an exceptional beer. This drunk with all the flavour of a double IPA yet with the drinkability of a single without any compromise at all. I love this and will be buying a lot more of it in the future.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Amazingly pretty dark orange with brownish head that hangs around the whole time you're drinking it. Rich and thick like honey.

S: This is one of those beers that when you smell the empty bottle the next morning, it smells good.

T: Rich and dark malt, heavy dark fruit, grapefruit hops, florals, biscuits, peat, earth.

M: Full but not too heavy or "thick."

Value: How can anyone complain about Torpedo? For the price, this is THE BEST strong IPA out there and they sell it in my nearby 7-11. There is one neat store in my neighborhood where I can buy this in a 12 pack for $12.99. At a little more than a buck per beer, I dare you to find something even close. As good as IPA's twice as expensive.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a great copper color with wonderful initial head, excellent lasting head, and some very nice lacing as it goes down. It has a deep scent, very bitter and piney, with enough citrus to keep the edge off. Great taste, a wonderful bitter with great hop attributes: a great pine, Christmas tree forest like; hints of citrus, some nice pineapple/orange; bit of English hops to give it a nice cross-Atlantic flavor. Very smooth, no alcohol flavor which is great, and has a long lingering pine hop flavor. A great IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I love this IPA. It is reliably consistent, and the hop aroma and taste are almost unique. the citrus aroma and flavor keep it fresh tasting, and it is so smooth and balanced that I can drink it all night. While it doesn't have unique flavors, it does have a reliable and refreshing flavor that makes it a safe selection for almost any situation. I love it.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.