Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,777 | Hads: 10,251
4.86/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: nice shade of almost a dark orange. Almost looks unfiltered but you can see through it. Smell: citrus, fruit, hops, pine. Taste: amazing! Very fruity with just enough hopiness to prove that it is an IPA. Feel: perfect, just the right amount of carbonation and not too heavy/ light. Also has a wonderful aftertaste but it doesn't linger very long. Overall, one of the best IPA's I've ever had! I would Recommend this beer to anyone that enjoys Good beer.

this is by far my favorite ipa right now for the price 8.70 a sixer
a-great color all around looked deceiving as i could smell it sitting a foot away
s-very piney evergreen like totaly creative craft here
t-doesnt really matter what other beer you had before this one so powerful
m-taste of fresh evergreen on my palate i love this beer
d-although i could drink a whole sixer and would love to but i might not be able to do that cause the alchohal
solid beer from sierra nevada but we should expect that im so glad they made this year round

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Head is frothy, off-white with good retention; body is clear and deep gold; leaves lots of lacing. Aroma is very pleasant with lots of fresh pine, lemon-lime, and eventually a touch of graham cracker. Well-rounded flavor is comprised of pine, lime, earthy bitterness. Hop flavor is bold but not soapy or astringent, and some light malt sweetness contributes balance and complexity. Soft carbonation, medium body, slight carbonic bite.

Very smooth, quaffable, and balanced. The hop qualities are bold but stop short of overwhelming, and the supporting roles are gentle and harmonic. A very solid and enjoyable brew.

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark amber, clear. Head builds into a finger and a half of tight, light tan foam. Head falls quickly leaving decent lacing.
Aromas hit me first with the piney, grapefruit hoppiness. Sweet lingers out back.
Taste again with a huge hop hit with the pine and grapefruit shouldering in the door, following the initial blast a warm, bitter caramel tones bring up the rear.
Its a lovely feeling ale, with low carbonation and a medium dry end.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

I love how this beer is so readily available in the states. I must say that this is right up there with all of the best IPA's I've ever had. The hops are very complex and loaded with citrus and pine flavors. I think that torpedo hop thingy that they use to infuse the hops makes a big difference. You can really taste ALL of the hops. The malt and hops are absolutely perfectly balanced as well.

I absolutely cannot fathom why anyone would buy a six pack of Coors, Bud, or Miller for $6.99-$7.99 when you can buy a six pack of the Torpedo IPA for $8.99-$9.99. One of the best beers I've ever had...seriously.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

My go-to beer. What an IPA should be: crisp, refreshing, flavor that lingers. The pine character of the beer does not overpower the citrus, leaving a complex yet smooth taste. One of the best around.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Writing this review after a long day and a nice workout playing ultimate frisbee. Didn't even pour it in a glass, just straight into my belly. This is definitely my kind of IPA. Smell is incredible, can definitely detect the citrusy hops. Taste is incredible. Plenty of hops in this one to keep me satisfied. Goes down very easy. At 7% a 6 pack of this could be dangerous.

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%

Great IPA. Pours very well but is missing a good staying head.The little bit of head I got from the initial pour was a nice light caramel color. Lacing also lacks staying power. Has a good fruity hops taste with a strong hops aftertaste. This is definitely a beer I can sit down to and make a night of. May be a little heavy in the hops for a new person trying IPA for the first time. Save it for the more serious IPA drinker.

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: I'm drinking it straight from the bottle, so I can't speak to the actual appearance of the beer. The bottle is pretty good, hence the 4.

Smell: Sweet and refreshing. Very complex. Allow the beer to get fairly warm before smelling it and tasting it for best results.

Taste: This is a sweet beer with strong bittering hops. The sweetness is almost like what you would get from a good apple cider. Hops are bitter and not really floral at all.

Mouthfeel: Perfect.

Overall: This is an outstanding beer, best drank on the warm side.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Went looking for a hoppy brew but not so hoppy as my local favorite brew from cigar city here in Tampa...jai alai. This beer is a go to for a drinkable hoppy beer that has a nice finish. I have also been drinking hoptimum brew but the high avb gives the taste a kick in the finish. This beer is a daily drinker and easy to down more than just a couple. I hope I can find it on tap here in clearwater fla given that I prefer my beers out of kegs. This beer is a winner in my book!

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow -- can you say "over-hopped"? This Extra IPA goes overboard with the hop aroma and flavor, nearly negating any malty tones in the beer. But is that a bad thing? Not in this case.

The bitter citrus hops are like a depth charge and combined with a moderate carbonation -- it's an all-hands-on-deck experience that makes one of the best commercially-available beers. This isn't an IPA for landlubbers; its in-your-face experience and high alcohol (7.2%) will take you to Davey Jones' Locker rather quickly if you're not careful.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a stemless wine glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

a: Orangish amber, very white head some lacing.

s: Great American hop bouquet, tons of cascade scent, but some malt comes through as well, surprising for a aggressively dry hopped IPA .

t: Bitter but very balanced, the malt doesn't disappear. This is a very hoppy beer, but not an all out hop bomb.

m: Nicely medium bodied, not as thin as some in the style, but not heavy at all, very drinkable beer.

o: This is my go to for availability and price in the style. I'll happily drink this every day of the week. Not the best IPA I've ever tasted, but pretty damn close and very available.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

I saw this stuff for the first time yesterday.
It has a dark amber color and smells wonderful.
The most noticable feature is a hint of grapefruit. A perfect balance of sweet and sour for me.
For a beer with a 7.2 alky content, it is very well hidden.
Too bad that some beer lovers from years gone by never had the chance to try this one....

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

A - This honestly looks very much like the standard SNPA, and that's not a bad thing. This might be a shade darker, but its still that vibrant golden-flax hue with a big fluffy white head and tons of foamy lace.

S - Oh my God. Hops, glorious hops! This is a hop forward nose that balances some of the juiciest hop notes that I've sniffed in a long time. The pine forest SN DNA is definitely detectable, but this adds more complexity than the standard APA version. Fresh, juicy, slightly fruity, and very sappy... this smells wonderful.

T - Even better than the nose, the flavors EXPLODE with fresh hop oils. The word "juicy" keeps flashing across my brain. This is like diving into a green hop filled wine press with bare feet and stomping around like a baptist preacher. Can I get a witness!

M - Medium bodied and FRESH. This is thirst quenching and highly carbonated, and all of those suds really help keep it lively and active in the mouth. It's almost electric with zingy hop flavors and zesty carbonation. This is as fresh tasting as ice-cold freshly squeezed OJ.

D - Perfect. One of the most well rounded (for a hop bomb that is) and drinkable brews that I've had in a long time. I tried one of these out at The Brewhaus and I'm sold. I'm going to pick up a large quantity of this stuff to keep around the house. This would be a perfect outdoorsy grillin' out sort of session brew. The hops would stand up to some spicy brats, and its dangerously gulp-able. Another impressive creation from Sierra Nevada... and I would have expected nothing less from the west coast masters of hop.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Picked up a six pack from the local grocery store.

Poured into a pint glass

a- it pours a nice golden amber. darker than expected and with a nice 1.5 inch head

s-the smells of the pine and the citrus really come out here and it really just makes you excited to drink the beer

t-the taste is unbelievable. such a clean balance and its incredibly smooth. I love how the hoppy bitterness just melts away in your mouth.

m-there might not be another beer that makes me want to say "ahhh" more its just so clean and the flavors all linger for a second as the beer interacts with the entire palate. This is a complete beer

o-whatever the torpedoing is exactly is working. It's insane to think that this beer is 7.5% and the smoothness of the beer just makes you want to turn it into a session. Damn good stuff from sierra nevada. I am a believer

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

I poured this from a bottle into a pint glass.

It was orangish in color with a thick head and good lacing.

The smell was of floral hops and pine.

The taste was great with the hops dominating yet not overpowering the malt.

The mouthfeel was very smooth.

Overall this is a great drinkable beer that I will drink again routinely.

4.81/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first go round with this beer,great taste,not quite as good as good as Dog Fish Head 90 minute,but smoother flavor than 21st amendment Brew Free or Die,will defiantly drink again.

4.81/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours amber/honey colored with thick foamy head. There is excellent lacing on the side of the glass. Strong citrus and floral smell. You can smell the higher alcohol content as well. Smooth malty taste. You don't get the hoppy bite until the end. More of a piney, resin like hop. Smooth bitter after taste at the end. A very, very well balanced beer. Excellent!

Bottled 12/22/14 Drinking 02/01/15

Drinking from a bottle. Can't see through the beautiful dark bottle. Cannot recall if a reddish hue or amberish. By looking at another review someone says medium amber. Nice smoke when opened.

Smell first comes out like a piney marijuana. Shortly fades with subtle notes of pine and slightly sweet from malt. maybe a slight grapefruit hint. Very lovely. Pepper and flora are noted as well.

Taste still piney like eating a forest. Still subtly sweet. It coats the tongue nicely and lingers. This it the right amount of hopness, solid bitter; bready sweet combines for a true IPA treat.

Mouth is slightly creamy thats the slightest watered (just a little so you are not chewy, its not bad). Bubbly carb, definitely from yeast which is nice.

Along with Alaska Brewing Co. IPA and Ruination form Stone, this is one of my new favorite IPAs. Not for new "better beer" drinkers. Not a gateway, needs some mild experience with other crafts.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm not really an IPA fan and the beer nerd at my store just raved about this beer when it hit my market.

6 six from Cool Spring Wine and Liquor and then I found myself picking up a case on my next visit.

These over hopped beer I thought would mask any real flavor in the beer. I was so wrong and found myself craving that taste time and time again.

It was like the Harvest Wet Hop but on overdrive.

Let's hope this beer sticks around if they can afford to keep making this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Wow. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA is a true "World Class Beer". I've enjoyed standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over the years but today was my first time sampling this beer. Bought a six pack at my local Spec's.

Pours a orange hued, deep amber with a 1.5 - 2 inch egg shell head on top. Beautiful!!
You can smell the hops from 5 feet away. Intense.
Tastes like an over hopped, intense kick in the mouth. But somehow it manages to be completely balanced and actually very dry for the style. I keep sipping then chugging, then sipping and then staring at the bottle. I'm almost awestruck at how incredibly perfect this is. Standard SN PA is kinda "one note". This is not.
Mouthfeel is not overly carbonated and not too thick.
Overall this is a religious experience of beer. I'm so intrigued that I will be bringing this to the first barbeque of the year just to blow some minds.

Congratulations Sierra Nevada, you have created a masterpiece!!!

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep Golden color with slight haze, a vigorous pour at half full creates a finger of light cream at the top that fades fairly quickly to a thin layer covering the top.

S: Fantastic aromas of pine and citrus and I am also thinking of sweet cherries. Pine dominates this beer but not quite like alba scots pine ale.

T: Strong pine again dominates but gives way to a biscuit cracker like flavor and then a nice bitter.

M: Smooth, easy to drink.

O: This has to be one of my favorite IPA's it has a strong bitter and pine profile but it tastes so good I could enjoy it anywhere, I had this sitting at a beach house on Anna Marie Island in FL and now I'm enjoing it in Indiana where it's snowing in April (why!?!?!) If you like IPA's this is bound to be a favorite.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

First it starts off with a smell of pine and hop resin...then when you swirl it around and it warms a little you can smell the citrus grapefruit smell combined with the sappy pine needle smell. Tastes great with a nice sweet malt and an amazing pine hop backing that stays on the back of your tongue. When I first tried this and wasn't very familiar with the style I thought there was an overwhelming amount of pine. Now that IPA has become my favorite style of beer it is a great top of the list go to IPA. I also noticed pungent graepfruit hop flavor.

You can tell they don't throw the usual type of hops that the standard American IPA's use. What really sets this apart from other top notch IPA's like Dogfish Head 60 Minute or Stone IPA is that this has a medicinal herbal and very grapefruity smell and taste from the whole cone hops which is amazing. This is my favorite beer from this brewery... I think it's even better than the Celebration Ale. This is more bitter where Celebration is a bit more sweeter with different hops. If you want an IPA get this. Amazing job Sierra Nevada from Chico, California.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Look: Poured from a 12oz bottle coded (0356 218 09)into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pours an off white, two finger head. Deep amber in color with a decent amount of carbonation. Lacing left as I drink it down.
Smell: I smelled the hops as soon as I poured this into my glass, also smell a hint of carmel sweetness.
Taste: I taste the bitter hops first, then a hint of a sweet malts and then a nice crisp, bitter finish.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied and can definetly feel the carbonation in this one.
Drinkability: This is an excellent IPA. Stronger and more hop forward than SN Pale Ale (which I love) This I could drink all night long!

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm giving it 4 on drinkability as you can't really quaff a beer at 7.2%, but this is as good as an "imperial" type ale gets. The west coast knows know to do it; sorry Sam, sorry Doghead, you're out of your league here (and I'm nor'east Yankee). The west coast knows their hop, they know the malt, their yeast is better (sorry Sh1tyard), their water is better up there in no'Cal. Everything conspires to make this a treat, and you don't taste the alcohol burn that plagues East of the Mississippi attempts at this style.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.