Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
deonreds

07-28-2012 04:17:20 | More by Focusf111
CJthirty7

Arizona

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer.

05-23-2009 05:49:33 | More by CJthirty7
tonton

Hong Kong

2.31/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

After trying the amazing Sierra Nevada Stout, this was a total letdown. Strong lagery yeasty smell, bitter pine cone taste, ugly clumpy head. Worst IPA I've tried.

I won't be coming back to this one, in fact I'll avoid it and stick with English IPAs.

03-13-2013 13:04:35 | More by tonton
nickluc

2.33/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I bought this beer because of its high listed BA score it had alongside it.

And I gotta say I was not expecting to almost be disgusted by the first sip.

This is the first beer I can say I hate. I don't get the high scores especially when it tastes like drinking a pine tree. I gave it an hour opened another bottle just in-case something went terribly wrong with the first during bottling but no such "luck"

I am far from a beer aficionado but I've never had a beer I disliked so much I had to sign up on a website just to review it...

04-14-2014 23:03:10 | More by nickluc
KyleVick4

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

12 oz in a 16oz pint glass

A: Pours a deep copper with a honey hue. Looks syrupy off the bat. A finger of head that dissipates quickly. Leaves beautiful lacing down the glass

S: Smells of deep piney and syrupy. A touch of sweetness from the malt.

T: uhhhh. not my type. But it smelled so good!!! Harsh and overpowering malt taste with a harsh bitterness of hop. I've never liked Sierra Nevada in taste and this follows the trend. Maybe it's the yeast... Sigh. OK I get a strong citrus before the hard hitting malt that I find borderline aversive.

M: This is really bad mouthfeel. It feels like it stings. Not an alcoholy sting, but almost a bubbly sting. Yet it doesn't appear over-carbonated. Leave a stringent taste in my mouth after each sip. Does not make me want more...

D: There really is no drinkability. I keep putting it back because I am trying to find what everyone is raving about. American IPA is my favorite style and I can drink most all day all night. But this is terrible.

Altogether I think the beer looks and smells terrific. It's a great picture beer to hold in your hand and smell while at a social gathering. I would not recommend sipping the beer though. I had three of these beers out of the six pack and felt sick the next day. Not hungover just sick. Wondering if there is an ingredient SN uses that doesn't get along with me...

02-07-2011 04:04:35 | More by KyleVick4
SayYaToDaUP

District of Columbia

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

A - thick bubbly head, deep golden brown color, very slight haze.

S - sour grapefruit aroma with modest herbal tones

T - Immediate sharp citrus flavor, borderlines on a sour taste. Transitions to subtle-rosemary like herbal hints and a light toasty malt flavor on the tail. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop flavors are subdued. Overall the flavors don't mix terribly well together. The citrus/sour taste crowds out the other flavors and doesn't leave much of anything to enjoy for the aftertaste.

F - Solid, average carbonation. Warming sensation from 7.2% ABV is present, but not overwhelming.

D - fairly drinkable for an IPA due to subdued hop flavor and medium carbonation, but not much desire to have more than one

Notes: Price was way below other IPAs, now I understand why. Nothing but love for the Sierra Nevada Brewery for it's legendary and outstanding Pale Ale, but they missed the mark on this one.

01-14-2010 04:05:14 | More by SayYaToDaUP
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight piney nose. Flavor is piney hops, not finding any malts, finishing with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The 'extra' in the name is only a word - this is just an IPA that's loaded with hops. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

09-08-2010 22:18:51 | More by jdhilt
who2host

2.39/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was very disappointed with this one. It tastes nothing like a "Extra" IPA, more like a severely outdated domestic malt liquor with a couple of hop pellets thrown in. It was almost hard to finish but I stuck it out. It has an almost metalic taste to it. The smell is off and the mouthfeel is just too syrupy. I'm not exactly sure why this has such a high score. I won't be trying this one again, I wouldn't even want to cook with it.

05-13-2013 16:10:22 | More by who2host
tone77

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

A big thanks to woodychandler for this can. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is a hop bomb, extreme bitterness, wow, I like hops but this is the most bitter beer I have ever had. Feels medium bodied and very bitter in the mouth and overall is way to unbalanced for my liking.

Serving type: can

06-10-2012 18:02:50 | More by tone77
rowmine

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

16oz poured into a 20oz shaker

Qutie dissapoitned with the new can.

Not sure what happened with my 16oz 4 pack but this is NOT the same as it comes out of the bottle.

I hope this is a bad batch but i got a STRONG metalic taste out of this beer with little to no hop flavor.

I will give this a try again in the future to reassess. :(

Serving type: can

03-07-2012 18:52:13 | More by rowmine
AgentZero

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

11-05-2009 21:04:54 | More by AgentZero

Sheesh101

08-30-2013 17:05:36 | More by Sheesh101
WolfStOner

12-30-2013 09:03:50 | More by WolfStOner
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.