Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A - Nice and clear amber coloring.

S - Pleasant traditional flowery aroma.

T - Very hoppy. Good taste, but very strong.

M - The feel is smooth. The aftertaste is extremely bitter. Almost soapy. Not a fan.

Summary - I've been trying to expand my beer experiences. One area in particular I've been wanting to explore is IPAs. So far, I've enjoyed Dogfish Head, but not Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. It's simply way too strong with hops and an awfully bitter aftertaste.

passable

look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I fall into the minority of, "Why all the glowing reviews, folks???" for this particular brew. I've been right up there in agreement with the previous BA reviews I've based beer purchases on until this one. This one puzzles me greatly, as it is my first "double-u tee eff" experience with this site. IPA's are my go-to. From regular to hop-tacular, to double, triple, 90, 120-minute, evil, sinister, unforgiven IPA's. Bring on the attacky, hoppy, citrusy aromas. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, SN Torpedo Extra IPA has none of that. I struggle to understand how the term IPA is even associated with this beer. I wanted to love this beer... especially since SN's Pale Ale is so above-average as a mass-produced beer.

The look of this beer is fine. A promising, rich, dark amber, with a respectable head. But anything beyond what my eyes can observe turns negative.

My first reaction to the smell was, "Really?" It immediately brought me back to the overpowering, sickly, yeasty smell of going past the Sleeman brewery as a child. It smells skunky, like a Labatt 50 that's been soaking in the sun too long. Definitely lager-esque. But surely, this is a well-respected IPA, so it must not taste like that.

It tastes like that. Maybe the only positive thing I can say is that it tastes like beer, but not any beer I've tasted. Did I get a bad batch? Maybe it sat for a couple weeks in a hot truck during transit?

The nose has a fun bite and attacks my taste buds alright. However, it is not nearly worth the 5 milliseconds of fun my mouth enjoys until my brain deciphers the flavor and has to endure it for another 10 seconds. Overly yeasty. I keep looking for those bright, piney hops and subtle grapefruit. Nowhere to be found. I hate wasting craft beer, so I finished it. Even gave it another shot today before writing the review.

After drinking my first SN Torpedo, I immediately emailed a fellow IPAer to warn him to steer clear. Unfortunately he'd already experienced this beer, but didn't have the decency to warn me. Oh well -- maybe I can save others the trouble. I know how harsh it sounds, but this is easily the most disappointing beer I've ever bought. Sierra Nevada, I know you can do better.

2.04/5  rDev -51%

2.2/5  rDev -47.1%

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer.

2.31/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

After trying the amazing Sierra Nevada Stout, this was a total letdown. Strong lagery yeasty smell, bitter pine cone taste, ugly clumpy head. Worst IPA I've tried.

I won't be coming back to this one, in fact I'll avoid it and stick with English IPAs.

2.33/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I bought this beer because of its high listed BA score it had alongside it.

And I gotta say I was not expecting to almost be disgusted by the first sip.

This is the first beer I can say I hate. I don't get the high scores especially when it tastes like drinking a pine tree. I gave it an hour opened another bottle just in-case something went terribly wrong with the first during bottling but no such "luck"

I am far from a beer aficionado but I've never had a beer I disliked so much I had to sign up on a website just to review it...

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

A - thick bubbly head, deep golden brown color, very slight haze.

S - sour grapefruit aroma with modest herbal tones

T - Immediate sharp citrus flavor, borderlines on a sour taste. Transitions to subtle-rosemary like herbal hints and a light toasty malt flavor on the tail. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop flavors are subdued. Overall the flavors don't mix terribly well together. The citrus/sour taste crowds out the other flavors and doesn't leave much of anything to enjoy for the aftertaste.

F - Solid, average carbonation. Warming sensation from 7.2% ABV is present, but not overwhelming.

D - fairly drinkable for an IPA due to subdued hop flavor and medium carbonation, but not much desire to have more than one

Notes: Price was way below other IPAs, now I understand why. Nothing but love for the Sierra Nevada Brewery for it's legendary and outstanding Pale Ale, but they missed the mark on this one.

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

12 oz in a 16oz pint glass

A: Pours a deep copper with a honey hue. Looks syrupy off the bat. A finger of head that dissipates quickly. Leaves beautiful lacing down the glass

S: Smells of deep piney and syrupy. A touch of sweetness from the malt.

T: uhhhh. not my type. But it smelled so good!!! Harsh and overpowering malt taste with a harsh bitterness of hop. I've never liked Sierra Nevada in taste and this follows the trend. Maybe it's the yeast... Sigh. OK I get a strong citrus before the hard hitting malt that I find borderline aversive.

M: This is really bad mouthfeel. It feels like it stings. Not an alcoholy sting, but almost a bubbly sting. Yet it doesn't appear over-carbonated. Leave a stringent taste in my mouth after each sip. Does not make me want more...

D: There really is no drinkability. I keep putting it back because I am trying to find what everyone is raving about. American IPA is my favorite style and I can drink most all day all night. But this is terrible.

Altogether I think the beer looks and smells terrific. It's a great picture beer to hold in your hand and smell while at a social gathering. I would not recommend sipping the beer though. I had three of these beers out of the six pack and felt sick the next day. Not hungover just sick. Wondering if there is an ingredient SN uses that doesn't get along with me...

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight piney nose. Flavor is piney hops, not finding any malts, finishing with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The 'extra' in the name is only a word - this is just an IPA that's loaded with hops. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.