Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros

ChainChompsky, Jan 15, 2014

buckfever5, Sep 13, 2014

NonicPanic, Dec 05, 2013

Phil_H, Jan 19, 2014

Slashytits, Jul 06, 2014
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I fall into the minority of, "Why all the glowing reviews, folks???" for this particular brew. I've been right up there in agreement with the previous BA reviews I've based beer purchases on until this one. This one puzzles me greatly, as it is my first "double-u tee eff" experience with this site. IPA's are my go-to. From regular to hop-tacular, to double, triple, 90, 120-minute, evil, sinister, unforgiven IPA's. Bring on the attacky, hoppy, citrusy aromas. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, SN Torpedo Extra IPA has none of that. I struggle to understand how the term IPA is even associated with this beer. I wanted to love this beer... especially since SN's Pale Ale is so above-average as a mass-produced beer.

The look of this beer is fine. A promising, rich, dark amber, with a respectable head. But anything beyond what my eyes can observe turns negative.

My first reaction to the smell was, "Really?" It immediately brought me back to the overpowering, sickly, yeasty smell of going past the Sleeman brewery as a child. It smells skunky, like a Labatt 50 that's been soaking in the sun too long. Definitely lager-esque. But surely, this is a well-respected IPA, so it must not taste like that.

It tastes like that. Maybe the only positive thing I can say is that it tastes like beer, but not any beer I've tasted. Did I get a bad batch? Maybe it sat for a couple weeks in a hot truck during transit?

The nose has a fun bite and attacks my taste buds alright. However, it is not nearly worth the 5 milliseconds of fun my mouth enjoys until my brain deciphers the flavor and has to endure it for another 10 seconds. Overly yeasty. I keep looking for those bright, piney hops and subtle grapefruit. Nowhere to be found. I hate wasting craft beer, so I finished it. Even gave it another shot today before writing the review.

After drinking my first SN Torpedo, I immediately emailed a fellow IPAer to warn him to steer clear. Unfortunately he'd already experienced this beer, but didn't have the decency to warn me. Oh well -- maybe I can save others the trouble. I know how harsh it sounds, but this is easily the most disappointing beer I've ever bought. Sierra Nevada, I know you can do better.

Cramletram, Sep 18, 2013

Jeff_Byrd, Sep 08, 2014

deonreds, Mar 18, 2012

LordVodka, Apr 03, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer.

CJthirty7, May 23, 2009
2.31/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

After trying the amazing Sierra Nevada Stout, this was a total letdown. Strong lagery yeasty smell, bitter pine cone taste, ugly clumpy head. Worst IPA I've tried.

I won't be coming back to this one, in fact I'll avoid it and stick with English IPAs.

tonton, Mar 13, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I bought this beer because of its high listed BA score it had alongside it.

And I gotta say I was not expecting to almost be disgusted by the first sip.

This is the first beer I can say I hate. I don't get the high scores especially when it tastes like drinking a pine tree. I gave it an hour opened another bottle just in-case something went terribly wrong with the first during bottling but no such "luck"

I am far from a beer aficionado but I've never had a beer I disliked so much I had to sign up on a website just to review it...

nickluc, Apr 15, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

A - thick bubbly head, deep golden brown color, very slight haze.

S - sour grapefruit aroma with modest herbal tones

T - Immediate sharp citrus flavor, borderlines on a sour taste. Transitions to subtle-rosemary like herbal hints and a light toasty malt flavor on the tail. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop flavors are subdued. Overall the flavors don't mix terribly well together. The citrus/sour taste crowds out the other flavors and doesn't leave much of anything to enjoy for the aftertaste.

F - Solid, average carbonation. Warming sensation from 7.2% ABV is present, but not overwhelming.

D - fairly drinkable for an IPA due to subdued hop flavor and medium carbonation, but not much desire to have more than one

Notes: Price was way below other IPAs, now I understand why. Nothing but love for the Sierra Nevada Brewery for it's legendary and outstanding Pale Ale, but they missed the mark on this one.

SayYaToDaUP, Jan 14, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

12 oz in a 16oz pint glass

A: Pours a deep copper with a honey hue. Looks syrupy off the bat. A finger of head that dissipates quickly. Leaves beautiful lacing down the glass

S: Smells of deep piney and syrupy. A touch of sweetness from the malt.

T: uhhhh. not my type. But it smelled so good!!! Harsh and overpowering malt taste with a harsh bitterness of hop. I've never liked Sierra Nevada in taste and this follows the trend. Maybe it's the yeast... Sigh. OK I get a strong citrus before the hard hitting malt that I find borderline aversive.

M: This is really bad mouthfeel. It feels like it stings. Not an alcoholy sting, but almost a bubbly sting. Yet it doesn't appear over-carbonated. Leave a stringent taste in my mouth after each sip. Does not make me want more...

D: There really is no drinkability. I keep putting it back because I am trying to find what everyone is raving about. American IPA is my favorite style and I can drink most all day all night. But this is terrible.

Altogether I think the beer looks and smells terrific. It's a great picture beer to hold in your hand and smell while at a social gathering. I would not recommend sipping the beer though. I had three of these beers out of the six pack and felt sick the next day. Not hungover just sick. Wondering if there is an ingredient SN uses that doesn't get along with me...

KyleVick4, Feb 07, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight piney nose. Flavor is piney hops, not finding any malts, finishing with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The 'extra' in the name is only a word - this is just an IPA that's loaded with hops. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

jdhilt, Sep 08, 2010
2.39/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was very disappointed with this one. It tastes nothing like a "Extra" IPA, more like a severely outdated domestic malt liquor with a couple of hop pellets thrown in. It was almost hard to finish but I stuck it out. It has an almost metalic taste to it. The smell is off and the mouthfeel is just too syrupy. I'm not exactly sure why this has such a high score. I won't be trying this one again, I wouldn't even want to cook with it.

who2host, May 13, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

A big thanks to woodychandler for this can. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is a hop bomb, extreme bitterness, wow, I like hops but this is the most bitter beer I have ever had. Feels medium bodied and very bitter in the mouth and overall is way to unbalanced for my liking.

tone77, Jun 10, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

16oz poured into a 20oz shaker

Qutie dissapoitned with the new can.

Not sure what happened with my 16oz 4 pack but this is NOT the same as it comes out of the bottle.

I hope this is a bad batch but i got a STRONG metalic taste out of this beer with little to no hop flavor.

I will give this a try again in the future to reassess. :(

rowmine, Mar 07, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -41.1%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

AgentZero, Nov 05, 2009

trocketsauced, Jul 08, 2012

CoreyClark, May 15, 2013

mikefuski17, May 10, 2014
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.