Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,739 | Hads: 10,067
2.86/5  rDev -30.4%

Today is national IPA day! Good thing… because I love a good IPA. We only had one in the fridge and it was the Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada. I have had this before, and what I remember is the big calorie count. I can’t recall the hops or the bitterness… but from what I am reading, it is loaded with both. I mean, the “extra” came from somewhere. Let’s celebrate national IPA day with… an IPA!

In the Glass: It looks like an IPA in the glass. It might even be darker than I expected, but still has that golden appeal that a nice IPA brings. It has a decent lace, too and produces a thick, white head.

Nose: Holy hops does that smell good. This beer is just loaded with hops. The tasting notes talked about a lemony overtone… and I am not getting that. The Citra hops is what would produce that, but all I am smelling right now is hops, hops, and more hops! Also, isn’t it cool that there is an IPA day? This beer is being served ice cold, and I can imagine that would help it create a more crisp, bitter flavor.

Flavor: The flavor is boring at first, and then the hops kick in. But they don’t really do much. They don’t kick in the way I expect them to. For this to be an “extra” IPA I was expecting a lot more. Sure, there are hops and there is some subtle bitterness, but man… what a let down. I expected more from such a good brewery. Maybe that’s why it’s so cheap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is malty at first (boring, really) and then the hops kick in and almost numb the tongue as you swallow. The best part about this beer is the aftertaste. But we will get to that. The burp is nice, though.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is dry, and provides the most bitterness that you experience along the way. When a beer is an “extra” IPA, I immediately think double IPA or imperial IPA. Man, what a let down. Oh, speaking of IPAs… my buddy Mike Bravo ordered one of those last week. The server told him it was an Indiana Pale Ale. Yeah. Servers should know better. I hope he loses his job! Not Bravo, the server!

Well Sierra Nevada, I am upset with this one. You could have and should have done SO much more. I have had basic IPAs that have more hops and more bitterness than this. Try again!!!

Torpedo Extra IPA – The bottle says: “Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA, perfectly balanced yet full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus pine, and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.” (2,464 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a mostly clearly burnt yellow hue with a little haze. Smells of that typical Sierra Nevada "clean smell". This is the first time I've had this beer and I'm not smelling a lot of the hops (the pour did finish with no real head to be seen). After a few sip, I can really put my nose into the glass and I smell minimal citrus flavors. I really have to really for not a lot of reward.

After getting over the smell, I tasted the brew and initially I get an opposite experience from the smell. Bit burst of pine tree hops. Still very clean for an IPA. Light, chewy, fruity finish. The malt kind of lingers and creates a lemonade flavor. Nothing in the pint jumps out a you. While there's some hop flavor, the clean aspect of this beer kind of kills any ability to enjoy the true nature of a beer like this. I'm pretty sure I'm drinking a bad batch. I've had better versions of this. I think it's interesting that they'd made a beer like this in the first place. Aside from Big foot, hops aren't their strong points. (1,016 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -29.7%

Drank from a 12 fl oz bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Slightly hazy and medium amber in appearance. The liquid was topped by a dense, frothy, two-finger crop of sticky, off-white foam. Patchy blocks of lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

The nose was much more tame than anticipated. Light pineapple notes. Slightly floral. A dry, yeastiness was apparent as well. Overall, pleasant yet far too subtle for the style. As the beer warmed, the yeast notes became stronger.

The flavor profile was tremendously dry, pithy and bitter. Tons of orange rind. Strong lemon notes. Peppery. Grapefruit peel dominated the back end. The super piney, resiny and dry finish bordered on astringent.

For a 7.2% ABV beer, the mouthfeel was disappointingly thin. The liquid contained a crisp, large bubbled effervescence that was quite distracting.

People typically have a strong affinity for or against Sierra Nevada's beers, and I happen to be in the later camp. Their signature yeast strain dries out their beers far too much for my liking. (1,072 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -29.2%

Not a favorite. It seems to appear at places that don't have any good craft beer. It will do in a pinch, but would choose many others before this IPA. (151 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

350ml bottle into a conical 2/3 pint glass. Paid £2.00 for a single bottle.

Pours a semi opaque, shiny dark orange/ copper body with lovely reddish pink tinges that show through when held to the light. A thin off white head made of large soapy bubbles quickly forms to two fingers in height and later condenses to a thicker foam upon a short rest. It leaves excellent lacing all the way down the glass, even towards the bottom when the head has been reduced to a thin white cap.

Powerful citrusy hops dominate the nose. Grapefruit is the main scent but also noticeable are marmalade, pine and floral notes. It has a medium bodied feel with a very slight oily consistency. Small bubbles rise quickly from the bottom of the glass to give a lively carbonation that playfully foams up with a light swill around the mouth. The initial taste hints at a slightly sweet, fruity malt that doesn’t last long enough before handing over to more dominant dry bitter hops. Pine and citrus fruit pith are the main overriding flavours after this point. To my tastes, once these have kicked in, they are all that is left. The finish is a little too bitter, it has a slight astringency but not so much that it leaves the palate dry, in fact it is quite crisp and refreshing. At 7.2% the alcohol is well hidden, perhaps it was just masked by the bitterness but my bottle went down quite easily.

Overall I found the further I got down the glass, the more I liked the beer. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had a stronger malt backbone, or if the hops came in a little later. I will probably look to revisit this one in the future if I develop a greater taste for more hop forward or bitter styles. (1,699 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Darker amber color. Has a reddish tint. S - No real piney smell to it. Kind of smells like a Lager mixed with an IPA. T - Goes with the smell and has a lager/IPA mix taste. F - Has a heavier feel that darker IPAs have. Overall = Eh. Not one of my favorites. (268 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance - Clear copper body. Creamy off white head.

Smell - Skunky. Grassy with a small bit of hop.

Taste - Grassy and acidic. Very average IPA.

Mouthfeel - Decent body. Some texture and creaminess.

Overall Drinkability - Average in style. Nothing special. Acidic and hoppy. Not very balanced. (301 characters)

A: Foamy head; bubbly; hazy; amber, golden color
S: Floral, piney
M: Good carbonation; medium body; dry finish
T: Starts with a good hit of hops, sweeter in the middle, but the one bottle I've drank had a really unpleasant finish that was very bitter and aspiriny (medicinal). (280 characters)

Bitter. Far too bitter for this palette. Not well balanced. Not awful, it's bold DIPA for those that really love the style. But I'm not a fan of this particular example. (169 characters)

12oz bottle poured into pint glass...

First I have to say I'm not a big IPA guy... that being said.

A: Amber colored, nice big head (2 fingers), settle to a nice layer of foam and wonderful lacing... Great looking beer.

S: Hops.... Wow lots of it... Maybe a little piny & floral and a little hint of honey. (I love the way a IPA smells)

T: Taste like it smell, lots of hops, touch of honey midway through and then a hoppy bitter aftertaste... (This is what I don't like about IPAs)

M: Lighter than I thought it might be.... but gets a little thicker as it warms.

D: ABV is great for a IPA, but the over board hops makes this a one a session beer for me. If you like it hoppy give it a try....

This is a Sierra Nevada and they always do a great job, just not a big fan of the hop bombs. (792 characters)

Loved this beer when it came out and sooo cheap compared to other IPAs. Then , the more I tasted other IPAs and came back to Torpedo, it just tasted too slick. Too precise. I know , lame review but taste it again. It is wonderfully made but seems to lack soul or something. All the talented reviewers will truly look down on this. That said, put it to the taste test- somethings missing. (387 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26.5%

16 oz can poured into nonic. Didn't check date but it's def fresh.

A: great looking amber pour with one inch of thick white foam--purdy!

S: disappointing! Maybe I need to get my nose checked but I'm not getting much here. Picking up the slightest amount of pine.

T: again disappointing! It seems like the hops are providing plenty of bitterness but the flavor is strong pine with a sort of medicinal finish. I'm getting absolutely nothing floral or citrusy.

M: pretty good. Nice thickness for an IPA/DIPA!

O: I remember enjoying last years version but this year it's a bit of a letdown. Better aroma and a little citrus in the taste would bring this around nicely. (669 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

poured very nice into the glass. one inch of head that settled to a quarter inch. nice color and steady carbonation.

the aroma was ok. not as hoppy as expected. the taste...was ok, certainly not the hops it needed for me. drinkable but mild.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet (277 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

Did this review after drinking a whole 6 six pack... over the course of a week.
A= Amber/ orange/ brown color with a small head but excellent lacing. The head falls fast and leaves big soapy bubbles.
S= Good. It actually smells like really bitter hops with a little sweetness. Grapefruit comes through and a little pine.
T= Wow. This is the first beer that I've had that I thought was over hopped. Up front it's fine. Pine and small grapefruit come through. Then the after taste lingers for sooo long on the back of my tongue. It's not really describable in any way besides really bitter. Taste reminds me of a homebrew that I didn't let bottle condition properly.
M= Average weight and very very dry
D= Not too great. The extreme lingering hop flavor lasts way too long in the after taste. It satisfies my hop craving but not more than one. I may buy it again if I have an extreme craving but a little over board for me. The hoppiest bitter beer I've ever had. (961 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

A light amber in color, very clear with a fluffy beige head on top.

A combination of pine, citrus and pepper fill the nose.

Definitely an IPA. To be honest, too bitter to identify any distinct tastes. Not sure what pine tasts like, but there was a taste that I can only define as pine.

It's highly astringent in the mouth. It's bitter from beginning to end. Will certainly put hair on your chest.

This is a man's beer. It's very strong in its bitterness and has a lot of alcohol, though I didn't get much alcohol burn. It's difficult to give it high drinkability scores because it's so bitter and strong. (610 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

A- poured a cloudy honey color with a thick slightly off-white color head. medium lacing

S- a slight old orange aroma. pretty weak on the hops. the malt really pulls through.

T- nothing to special. a malt show with the old orange bitter after taste. you can notice the alcohol just slightly.

M- medium bodied. decent carbonation.

D- don't know if i can tolerate the whole six pack.

Overall- totally bummed. where do they get off saying extra ipa when it doesn't taste like a good ipa to begin with?? sierra tho to me is more commercial and their beers show. it's what to get if there's nothing in the store besides bud and them. i shoulda got bell's two hearted instead. (675 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

Beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass or mug. Right away was taken back by the lack of aromatics I would come to expect from something termed an "extra IPA." The aroma wasn't non-existent but left a lot to be desired. The taste wasn't as hoppy as expected either, a little citrus and piney but again I was expecting more from the label. It seemed to finish overly malty where I prefer the hops to be more balanced with the malt or to have it dried out a little more.

All in all this is far from a bad beer, I wasn't overly impressed the first time I had it, so I bought it again to be sure a few months later. It's not what I'd expect from an "extra IPA" but if you like some moderately hoppy beer with a bit more piney than citrus flavor with stronger malt finish give it a whirl. In my opinion you'll never go wrong trying a SN brew, this one was just not my favorite. (885 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Several 12oz bottles served different days in tulip glass, pint glass and bottle

A: Clear orange red color with white head.
S: Strong bitter wall of hops with nice floral sent, accompanied by a decent malty aroma.
T: A very bitter tasty hoppy start evolves in to a nice middle with good continuing hop oils and flavor, but has a poor finish that tastes much like cigarette ash and leaves a kind of dry thirsty feeling that lingers for along time. Malt comes through pretty well, but doesn't help the aftertaste.
M: Good initial feel, however as it develops, it is not smooth and the carbonation feels too harsh.
O: This beer is okay but it's not balanced enough for me I love IPA and I especially love aggressive IPA, but this one just isn't right for me. The cigarette ash flavor and aftertaste ruin this one for me.

Hallabrew (829 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.8%

I don't know what's extra about this, not even average. Light pine aroma with a mild banana hops up front and a dry sticky malt finish. Tastes more like hoppy pilsner. That being said, it is very drinkable. (209 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Picked up a bomber for $3.49 at Winco while doing some grocery shopping this weekend. All the great things Ive heard about this brew I had to give it a shot.

A- Poured into a tall tulip golden hazy honey with a thick clumpy head. Interesting.

S- Hoppy, piney, with a light grapefruit back bite. Nothing hit me as wow, good aroma, but not a home run by any means.

T- I was expecting to like this a lot more than I did. It had a nice hoppy kick with some hints of citrus and flowers. There were moments of real good followed up by not so good. Im not quite sure what it was but this just wasnt doing it for me. Actually became a struggle to finish.

M- Aha! Heres the culprit. Can you say medicine? Thats how it felt in my mouth, syrupy, thick, oily. Not very pleasant. Almost wanted to do a drain pour but stuck with it.

O- Dissapointing to say the least. The mouthfeel just killed this brew for me. A barely average experience that I wont be revisitng very soon. Interestingly the score and reviews just didnt coincide with what I tasted. Goes to show ya, different strokes for different folks and its best to try for yourself and see. (1,139 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

A- poured into pint glass, a cloudy amber color with little head.
S- pine, flowery potpourri
T- strong hop bitterness is the only flavor I taste
M- light body, moderate carbonation
D - too hoppy without any balance, I would not want to drink two in a row. (256 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: Amber in color with a foamy white head. Good head retention. Great lacing.

Aroma:Very upfront hop presence. Spicy citrus notes.

Taste: Mostly bitter upfront flavor followed by floral subtle notes. Very bitter aftertaste. My first impression is that the hop flavor is not balanced well. After I drank half the beer I came to appreciate it more. Not sure if this was due to my taste buds getting used to the bitter hops. Still, I think this beer can be better balanced.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated. Slightly acidic. (527 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -24.3%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into an English pint glass.
Thick foamy off-white head sits above a clear golden amber body leaving curtains of lace throughout the session.

Soft sweet tea aroma with a bitter citrus edge growing larger as the ale warms.

Grapefruit juice, a little sweet tea with honey and lemon, lasting hop flavor. The nutty malt flavor is barely a spectator in this match.

Prickly carbonation cuts though ample body leaving a creamy scrubbing film.

A well made ale, weighted to the hoppy side, average in the drinkability department. (556 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

I honestly thought this beer was a one-time only release. One year later my opinion remains unchanged and dead on.

Appearance 8/10 - Outstanding offering by Sierra Nevada, I just find it one dimensional.

Smell 9/10 - Glorious hop activity, beginner hop head's dream.

Taste 6/10 - Again, too one dimensional for my liking, bitter hops too assertive and lacking a malty balance to cleanse the palate.

Mouthfeel 5/10 - Abrasive. I honestly wish hoptimum would replace this, for it has more balance.

Overall 5 out of 10 - Not worth going out of your way for. This is Sierra Nevada and I feel this Torpedo is on it's way out. (625 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Pours a golden brown, with a sticky half inch of head. Not much sediment floating around, just some bubbles. Lacing isn't bad.

Smell: Not a fan of the smell, there's not much to it. Maybe mine is old or something, but the smell reminds me of Heineken. A little sweet, but kind of blah.

Taste: The taste is much better than the smell. I get a little fruit upfront, but the hops come in immediately. It's one big bite of hops, and the bitterness lingers. This is balanced with a little bit of malt presence. Finishes really dry.

Mouthfeel: Feels a bit thick. The dryness might add to that. Stays with you.

Overall: I've had this before and remember liking it a little more than this. The smell was terrible, and I didn't get much of a complex flavor, just a really big in-your-face kind of hoppy bite. I'd try it again, but probably not in its own 6 pack. (869 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.