Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -41%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

AgentZero, Nov 05, 2009

JayKay412, Jul 30, 2014

WolfStOner, Dec 30, 2013

MyauFroto, Apr 26, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint.

This beer pours a dark orange with a decent white head, not much lacing.

The aroma is very bitter, lots of hops and pine cone.

The taste is like the aroma but super-charged. Its all pine cone, I feel like I'm a squirrel. The bitter is so overwhelming it makes it hard to drink very much of this.

jrallen34, Nov 05, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A 1 to 2 inch basic head over a translucent orange brown body. Kind of basic really.

S No surprise here. Lots and lots of bitter hops.

T Nuthin but hops here. From the first taste through well into the aftertaste is the objectionable grapefruit bitterness that I have never liked...in a grapefruit or a beer. It is true to the style for sure.

M Bitter, biting and full for sure.

D I will not likely drink this beer again after this pint.

adamette, Apr 28, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Thanks to BA yelterdow for the hook up on this one.

Served from a 12oz bottle in a SABL glass at just above fridge temperature.

A - Standard Sierra Nevada crystal clear amber-orange with a nice, 1-inch thick off-white head that hangs out for a good minute or two before diminishing to a bubbly film on top of the surface. Lacing comes in sticky, translucent sheets.

S - Big, honey-malt laden west coast hops. More piney than citrusy. Fresh and crisp, with a verdant moistness. Nothing too revolutionary about this nose.

T - Subdued honey-laced malts that fall short of being sweet before the alpha-acid army comes blasting through in the middle and then loiters on the smoldering, twisted and burnt nubs of your taste buds all the way through the grippingly drying swallow. The aftertaste is forcefully astringent; very powdery and green. Like chewing on an aged grapefruit rind. Balance can only be viewed as a hop brick residing on a broken see-saw.

M - Nicely tingling on the tongue, and puffing up to become mouth-filling and frothy. Swallow is creamy and satisfying when the taste isn't factored in.

D - No matter what I do, and no matter what "it's all about the hops" frame of mind I get into that helps me try and cope, I can't get past the rough aftertaste that makes my throat feel like closing up. Once the first swallow goes down, the wicked aftertaste dominates almost every other aspect of this beer from the nose onward. Tasty? Yes, if you're looking for a hop bomb. Balanced? No. Will I be buying this beer for myself? No. There are just too many other APAs out there that are truly enjoyable.

EPseja, Feb 27, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

I found this at the local Jewel-Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL. for $9.99 a six pack. This is a new Sierra Nevada product for me so I was anxious to open one up and give it a try.

The beer poured a clear copper/orange color that made a 2½ finger creamy white head that lasted several minutes. It also left an incredible amount of lacing on the glass. A perfect 5.0 as far as appearance goes.

One sniff and there is no doubt that this is an IPA. It has a really nice hoppy smell - a mix of pine and citrus. Not much malt in the smell but the hops are nice. So far so good.

Oh no. What started out so promising falls completely apart in the taste department. The combination of 7.2% alcohol added to the huge amount of piney hops make this taste like I'm drinking Pine Sol cleaner. I wish there was more of a citrus hop presence to this to cut into the pine, but there isn't. There is also a serious lack of malt for balance. This is all alcohol and pine. At 65 IBUs I expect a good dose of bitterness, and bitterness is usually a good thing. I love most IPAs, but this one just doesn't have the right mix of bitter flavors. It needs to be balanced with other flavors besides the pine and the alcohol. The aftertaste is all alcohol. Don't get near a flame when breathing out or your breath might catch on fire.

The mouthfeel is on the smooth and creamy side but with a lot of carbonation to make it kind of spritzy as well. It's medium bodied in its thickness and makes no effort to hide the 7.2% alcohol content.

I'm not a fan of this one, although looking thru the other reviews I see a lot of people are, so be your own judge.

matjack85, May 29, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. A slow pour led to a one finger white head.

The smell is of sweet malt with citrus in the background. I was a little suprised by this, seemed dark for an ipa.

The taste was a little suprising to me. It was pretty sweet and the hops didn't come through as I would have liked. A good amount of bitterness was there, but it was not the smooth bitterness that I was looking for.

Drys the mouth a bit and doesn't go down smooth. I am a huge fan of IPAs but this one missed the mark for me. I was expecting more from SN

bigkamp, Mar 24, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

I'll start off by saying that I usually enjoy Sierra Nevada's products. The first time I had a Torpedo I thought it great, the second time (some six months after the first) I really wasn't impressed at all, so I decided to give it a new shot, you never know, could have been a bad batch, right?

Pours a light amber, with a matching light and tight foam that dissipates quickly, leaving alot of lacing on the glass.

This really doesnt smell as good as expected, some stingy citrusy hops, accompanied by a detergent-like smell, from the yeast maybe? slightly reminds me of the weird spice I found in corsendonk christmas ale that I didnt particularily like, other than that there's not much to the nose.

Taste is of the same kind of hoppyness as in the smell, a bit less detergent-like though, but it is all pushed a bit to the side by an astringent bitterness that isn't matched att all by the hop-flavor, the bitterness is reminiscent of green apple-peels. This makes me think this bottle might be too old, but the bottle-dating says it was brewed in the middle of august, shouldn't be all that bad, should it?

Feels alright in the mouth, but the unmotivated bitterness doe sn't really invite to sessioning.

Dissapointed.

dqrull, Dec 22, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

16 fl oz can served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Acquired as part of a four pack at a local Von's grocery store. I'm not big on Sierra Nevada, so expectations are average. I don't recall the cost.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a five finger beige colour head of nice cream, pretty good thickness, and very good retention for the high ABV (~5-6 minutes). Body colour is a clear translucent textbook copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty typical of the style; there's nothing unique or special here. Standard fare, though the head retention exceeds expectations.

Sm: Evocative floral hops, nectary hop character, dominant grapefruit citrus, and hop bitterness. Pale malts. A bit too assertive and seemingly imbalanced, but conventional for middling examples of the style. A fairly strong aroma. I'm excited to try it.

T: Floral hops, messy grapefruit citrus, and overwhelming hop bitterness. Lacks balance; it's really off. A slight nectary touch on the climax is the best attribute of this beer. Light hop oil notes. The grapefruit is rather poorly executed. Lacks complexity and subtlety. The entire third act is just plain bitterness, irritating the palate. I'm not a fan. No yeast character or alcohol comes through, however. Whatever hops were selected for this beer were a poor choice; that or it's just poorly brewed. Pale malts form the foundation.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit nectary. Overcarbonated. Independent of that wretched bitterness, the mouthfeel is actually quite pleasant. Decent presence on the palate.

Dr: A horridly imbalanced IPA that represents exactly what the problem is with American brewers of IPAs; IPA brewing is not a dicksizing competition with hop content and/or IBUs - it's process that requires balance and planning. Another underwhelming beer from Sierra Nevada. I continue to think that Sierra Nevada is incapable of brewing a solid beer - at least on their own. I wouldn't get this again.

High C-

kojevergas, Jan 31, 2013
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.