Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 3,699 | Reviews: 1,488
3.11/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hard pour into a cold pilsener. Clear yellow, maybe a little darker than I expect a pils to be, no head to speak of. No particular smell, really, something sharp, maybe a little hops? Tastes clean and dry but nothing stands out. Over-carbonated to my taste, distractingly so. I don't know, I drank this all last summer and enjoyed the heck out of it but it's not doing anything for me now. I can see myself knocking back a few on a hot afternoon after mowing the lawn, otherwise, meh.

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty solid beer on a muggy day

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Golden, translucent color...light malty, bready smell with a small amount of hops and lemon zest in there as well...taste was right on par with the smell...this brew was very crisp and clean with a lighter, refreshing mouth feel, good amount of carbonation but certainly not too much...overall a great brew, really looking forward to this one during those hot summer evenings!

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not up to Sierra Nevada's standard.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Look: clear yellow (like helles), white head.
Smell: biscuity, herbal, bit of citrus.
Taste: same as smell.
Feel: lightness of Bavarian helles combined by a mild hop bite of Czech Pilsner.
Very refreshing. I like it more than helles because it's got more hop forward aroma and flavour. Too bad it's much more expensive and rarely available in Croatia compared to German and Czech lagers, because for surely I'd buy it often, especially in summer.

4.69/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Crisp summer lager a step above the popular macro beers. Not enough edge for a really high rating.

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%

Overall a tasty pilsner. Very light, good to drink with food or in the early afternoon.nice carbonation and no offensive flavors. If you can get Nooner, though, I suggest you get it instead

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I honestly can't remember when I last had a pilsner, and I tried this after an afternoon of stouts and black IPAS, so...prolly not the best time to have had it. All I can say is that the taste is better than your average pilsner, and it was refreshing enough. Not sure if I would purchase again, but definitely not a bad beer by any means.

2.26/5  rDev -38.3%

not my style....too light in all areas (hops, feel, look, taste....)

drainpour....for me

It's been a while since I've had this, but I remember it being crisp like a summer beer should be, and just bitter enough that it had some unique character to it to set it apart from other summer brews.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Great head retention, good lacing. The color is a little darker than what I would expect from Czech or German brewers unless they are doing decoctions. I would describe the color as more yellow gold than the extreme light colored straw that modern brewers pride themselves on.

Aroma: Spicy hop aroma and slight lemon as expected, but a touch of honey aroma is there as well. It makes me think they used melanoiden malt to attempt to emulate a decoction mash. I suppose that would also explain the slightly dark color.

Taste: Nice spicy hops, slight citrus, biscuit, and honey. I would prefer that the honey flavor not be there and that the hop flavor would be a bit stronger. Nice crisp finish, but it does taste like it could have used more lagering time.

Feel: Mouthfeel is crisp, but a touch oily. Medium carbonation level could potentially be a bit higher to balance out the oily mouthfeel, or I'd prefer that it be a drier beer.

Overall: A better example than most American breweries make as far as pilsners go. I would like to have a drier example with less honey sweetness. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, but I know now that it is not going to satisfy my thirst for a good dry, hoppy pils.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Tastes like a summer beer, a good and citrusy one at that.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a light yellow with a thin fizzy head that leaves trails down the glass. The smell is light but with scents of orange peel and a very dry hop scent. The taste was exceptionally clean and refreshing. Would definitely recommend getting.

Another quality beer from Sierra Nevada!

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%

Date: 8/10/2014

Appearance - 4/5
Looks refreshingly crisp. A very clear golden color. Little head retention. Can see the carbonation flow. Looks appetizing.

Smell - 3/5
Smells like a standard lager. (This might just be my lack of refinement, but all lagers kind of smell the same to me)

Taste - 4/5
Citrusy. The lager taste is not as strong as in other lagers, which for me is a plus, because usually the lager taste is overpowering. The lager taste is balanced nicely with the other flavors, which would be citrus, and perhaps honey. The beer has a mild sweetness to it which is nice.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer feels light, perhaps a little too watery. It is not as crispy as other lagers, but rather seems to have a bit of creaminess to it. The carbonation was just right, not over-carbonated or under-carbonated.

Overall - 3.6/5
Overall, a decent lager, one that I actually felt that I liked. But still, nothing super special. Just a rather quality lager.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

10/17/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Meh. Just meh.

really boring, lack of flavor and any depth

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Clean crisp finish. Will definitely have another. Good session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

had the cans

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A. Slightly aggressive poor ½ inch white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Little carbonation. Color is light yellow with a light haze.
S. Lemongrass, malt, and maybe corn
T. Slightly sour, light floral hints, slight banana in the aftertaste.
M. Watery and refreshing
O. This is a good rendition of its stile. However, it is a little light in flavor for me. I would recommend it though. Good buzz for 5.0%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

As the name implies, excellent summer time brew!

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden color with a thick bright white head with good retention.
Light, but nice Lager aroma with bread and herbal notes.
Refreshing and crisp flavor, balancing malt sweetness with herbal and spicy hops. Hints of lemon and flowers. Dry aftertaste with a medium bitterness that demands another sip.
Light body with appropriate carbonation.
Mild lager but not boring, no defects whatsoever. Pils for summer volume.
Ap.3,25 Ap.3 Sab.3,25 Sens.3,5 Cj.3,5

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Its the unofficial end of summer this weekend and I am just now getting to my Summerfest. Its a lager people. Its better than a lot, but really for someone who drinks mostly IPA's these days this beer had something lacking. However, I can appreciate the quality of the craft put into this beer regarding the style.

Ice cold is how this beer should be consumed. I drank it a bit too warm the first time and it was not all that good. It was the canned version of this beer and when I cracked the top the can exploded with head. Too much carbonation perhaps?

Clear yellow, typical lager color. Translucent with a lot of head that settles after a while.

Not much to the aroma, some hops, a little malty grainy in the bouquet.

Taste: A bit of hop assertiveness for the style which gives it some upside for the style but really you could do just as well saving yourself a few bucks and buy a 12 pack or even a case of Yuengling and save yourself some money. Now to drink all these "summer" beers before the end of the weekend. Challenge excepted. Now to find a bag of ice! It has to be served ice cold!

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Light, crisp, clean body with nice sweetness on the back end

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Crisp, clean, and dry. Very enjoyable, I can't believe it took me so long to finally try this beer. I can definatly see myself having one of these outside on a hot day.

to view more.
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.