Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

to view more.
Ratings: 3,750 | Reviews: 1,504
2.64/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Heavy lager. Can not believe this is a summer beer. Too much for me!

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not my type of beer, my brother gave it to me. I'll drink it, have had much better lagers. I'm all about hops, but I think it's the hop flavor that ruins this beer for me

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Great tasting summer lager. As far as lagers go...I'm a fan! I can't taste most lagers with similar character...This has a nice bite but is very smooth and drinkable on a warm day like today.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Decent beer for me, but nothing special

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Straw / faint lemon on the nose, dry malt / yeast in the traditional pilsener style for flavor, not thin or watery like some other well known examples of the style.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a good, white head that doesn't fade too quickly and leaves some lacing on the glass. Golden, clear color with great pilsner carbonation. Slight smell is crisp with hints of citrus and hops. Mouth feel is light and smooth with an immediate citrus tartness that stays with you and provides body to the taste.

Overall, a very drinkable crisp lager for hot summer days/nights. There is enough body to the taste that this beer goes well with light foods.

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

refreshing brew. nice bubbly finish on the way down

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I am still considered a novice at beers, but I did not like this much. After the initial taste, I got kicked by a sharp peppery? taste. Did not even come close to the reviews I see listed. However, I tried this on 5/14/15, and most of these reviews are older. Maybe they changed the formula. They did change the look of the bottle. Notes on wrapper say it is a Czech pilsner, but it also says it is a lager. Don't know.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz bottle, packaged about 6 weeks ago.

A- Golden and translucent with almost 2 fingers of head, decent retention for the style and a little bit of lacing.

S- Very light and very characteristically pilsner. A little bit of bread or biscuit, very slightly floral and a hint of sweetness reminiscent of apple.

T- This is the taste I am hoping for any time I open a pilsner. After avoiding almost all lagers due to years of awful adjunct/macro experiences, my faith in the style is restored. This is an excellent combination of quality malts and (mostly) noble hops well-suited for a pilsner.

M-This beer is so light and crisp yet still retains excellent flavor. This is quite carbonated so if you're averse to such, you might want to look elsewhere.

D- This is exactly what I want in a pilsner and I could enjoy this in the sun all day. It goes down so easily and pairs excellently with so many foods that it would be great any time of year.

Given that my craft beer palette was shaped by the Pacific Northwest, I'm always going to favor aggressive hops (and most of Sierra Nevada's offerings fit the bill) but when I am in the mood for a Czech Pilsner, this will probably be my first choice. I wouldn't mind at all if they offered this year around and would certainly enjoy getting it once in a while throughout the year.

3.33/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Classic lager aroma, bready taste with a nice crisp aftertaste leaving a clean feel. Could crush a few of these no problem...

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Makes you wonder why the big breweries can't put out something resembling this. A great beer. If you like adjuncts this should be your foray into craft.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

clear straw color with a bubbly white head. not much to speak of aroma wise, and the taste is crisp and bready/biscuity. A pretty generic pilsener.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Sampling right now on 4/28/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 14 ounce glass Texas Boot (Big Tex-State Fair of Texas).

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a good 2-finger foamy white head. Some spotty lacing is seen in areas. The aroma is of yeast, grains and some citrus. Pretty much the same is said for the taste. No surprises here. Slightly dry with a mild floral hop finish. Not as hoppy at other Sierra nevada brews though. Overall it was OK. Medium-bodied with good carbonation.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. Clear, golden color with a small 1/2 a finger head that leaves no lacing. Sweet bready aroma with a little pepper at the end. Smooth citrus and bread flavor with a nice peppery hop kick at the end. Medium body and medium carbonation with no bitterness. Very crisp and refreshing beer. It tasted good while sitting out on the porch.
A good summer beer. Less hoppy than one would expect from Sierra Nevada.

3.11/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hard pour into a cold pilsener. Clear yellow, maybe a little darker than I expect a pils to be, no head to speak of. No particular smell, really, something sharp, maybe a little hops? Tastes clean and dry but nothing stands out. Over-carbonated to my taste, distractingly so. I don't know, I drank this all last summer and enjoyed the heck out of it but it's not doing anything for me now. I can see myself knocking back a few on a hot afternoon after mowing the lawn, otherwise, meh.

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty solid beer on a muggy day

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Golden, translucent color...light malty, bready smell with a small amount of hops and lemon zest in there as well...taste was right on par with the smell...this brew was very crisp and clean with a lighter, refreshing mouth feel, good amount of carbonation but certainly not too much...overall a great brew, really looking forward to this one during those hot summer evenings!

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not up to Sierra Nevada's standard.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Look: clear yellow (like helles), white head.
Smell: biscuity, herbal, bit of citrus.
Taste: same as smell.
Feel: lightness of Bavarian helles combined by a mild hop bite of Czech Pilsner.
Very refreshing. I like it more than helles because it's got more hop forward aroma and flavour. Too bad it's much more expensive and rarely available in Croatia compared to German and Czech lagers, because for surely I'd buy it often, especially in summer.

4.69/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Crisp summer lager a step above the popular macro beers. Not enough edge for a really high rating.

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%

Overall a tasty pilsner. Very light, good to drink with food or in the early afternoon.nice carbonation and no offensive flavors. If you can get Nooner, though, I suggest you get it instead

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I honestly can't remember when I last had a pilsner, and I tried this after an afternoon of stouts and black IPAS, so...prolly not the best time to have had it. All I can say is that the taste is better than your average pilsner, and it was refreshing enough. Not sure if I would purchase again, but definitely not a bad beer by any means.

2.26/5  rDev -38.3%

not my style....too light in all areas (hops, feel, look, taste....)

drainpour....for me

It's been a while since I've had this, but I remember it being crisp like a summer beer should be, and just bitter enough that it had some unique character to it to set it apart from other summer brews.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Great head retention, good lacing. The color is a little darker than what I would expect from Czech or German brewers unless they are doing decoctions. I would describe the color as more yellow gold than the extreme light colored straw that modern brewers pride themselves on.

Aroma: Spicy hop aroma and slight lemon as expected, but a touch of honey aroma is there as well. It makes me think they used melanoiden malt to attempt to emulate a decoction mash. I suppose that would also explain the slightly dark color.

Taste: Nice spicy hops, slight citrus, biscuit, and honey. I would prefer that the honey flavor not be there and that the hop flavor would be a bit stronger. Nice crisp finish, but it does taste like it could have used more lagering time.

Feel: Mouthfeel is crisp, but a touch oily. Medium carbonation level could potentially be a bit higher to balance out the oily mouthfeel, or I'd prefer that it be a drier beer.

Overall: A better example than most American breweries make as far as pilsners go. I would like to have a drier example with less honey sweetness. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, but I know now that it is not going to satisfy my thirst for a good dry, hoppy pils.

to view more.
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.