Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Reviews: 1,523 | Hads: 3,934
Reviews by sofisdad:

4.33/5  rDev +18%

I was really happy to discover this one, sad that it's only a seasonal but I suppose when it gets colder out I'll go back to stouts and heavier lagers... Overall, this is a great summer beer. To me it has that standard 'beer' taste, maybe to some that's a bad thing but for me, this is exactly what I look for in a warm-weather session beer. At 5.0 abv I can drink quite a few of these without feeling wasted, and sometimes that's the goal! I'm not sure what the exact word would be but this is a very 'plain' tasting beer in the best possible way. Will probably appeal to both craft aficianados and Anheuser Bush loyals. I definitely recommend this one as a summer session lager. Possibly the only downside is somewhat steep price given the ABV.

4.39/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Makes you wonder why the big breweries can't put out something resembling this. A great beer. If you like adjuncts this should be your foray into craft.

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. Clear, golden color with a small 1/2 a finger head that leaves no lacing. Sweet bready aroma with a little pepper at the end. Smooth citrus and bread flavor with a nice peppery hop kick at the end. Medium body and medium carbonation with no bitterness. Very crisp and refreshing beer. It tasted good while sitting out on the porch.
A good summer beer. Less hoppy than one would expect from Sierra Nevada.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's a Pilsner. It tastes and smells like Pilsner, nothing crazy, just decent beer...in the best way possible

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not up to Sierra Nevada's standard.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. Fresh and crisp. This was really enjoyable. After drinking lagers for so many years this is one I can really enjoy. Highly recommend.

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Great Czech Pilsner. Not sure what all the hubbub is about drinking this outside and only being fit for a hot day... i love this beer and i would drink all day, 365 days a year!

4.33/5  rDev +18%

12oz bottle, packaged about 6 weeks ago.

A- Golden and translucent with almost 2 fingers of head, decent retention for the style and a little bit of lacing.

S- Very light and very characteristically pilsner. A little bit of bread or biscuit, very slightly floral and a hint of sweetness reminiscent of apple.

T- This is the taste I am hoping for any time I open a pilsner. After avoiding almost all lagers due to years of awful adjunct/macro experiences, my faith in the style is restored. This is an excellent combination of quality malts and (mostly) noble hops well-suited for a pilsner.

M-This beer is so light and crisp yet still retains excellent flavor. This is quite carbonated so if you're averse to such, you might want to look elsewhere.

D- This is exactly what I want in a pilsner and I could enjoy this in the sun all day. It goes down so easily and pairs excellently with so many foods that it would be great any time of year.

Given that my craft beer palette was shaped by the Pacific Northwest, I'm always going to favor aggressive hops (and most of Sierra Nevada's offerings fit the bill) but when I am in the mood for a Czech Pilsner, this will probably be my first choice. I wouldn't mind at all if they offered this year around and would certainly enjoy getting it once in a while throughout the year.

2.64/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not my type of beer, my brother gave it to me. I'll drink it, have had much better lagers. I'm all about hops, but I think it's the hop flavor that ruins this beer for me

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Nice for the style,not to hoppy good malt-accented beer.Light color with a decent head.Would try again,Iam not into summer accrnted lighter beers.Bring on Oktoberfest!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance – Light yellow with a monster head that laced the glass quite nicely.

Smell – Typical hop aroma with a tinge of sweetness.

Taste – Americans seem to have great difficulty in producing the German pilsner style of ale, but this one nails it. The clean, slightly bitter, refreshing flavor of the neutral hops is lightly complimented by a touch of sweetness. The beer is dry and refreshing, which is just right for the summer.

Mouthfeel – Some nice carbonation and the traditional dryness make this one a stand out.

Drinkability – This went down just like it is supposed to: clean, crisp, and refreshing.

Comments – I have to part with the (current) 3.62 rating of by BA Buds (on average). This offering from SN nailed the style, IMO.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Fest pours a crystal clear gold with a foamy white head. Dissipation is immediate and nearly complete. Clean and crisp hops and lager aromas with a touch of lemon. Primary component of MF and taste is the snapping turtle hop bite. Pretty darn drinkable.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a straw-yellow color with a silky white head; tame, yet vibrant, no apparent lacing left on the glass. Aroma is crisp with some grains in the background, playing secondary to a nice helping of bitter, earthy hops. Some lemon zest pulls through and plays tertiary as well. Lots of carbonation on the initial sip; this was to be expected - it gives a nice, clean, crisp taste on the palate and brings out the strength of the hops. The hops make up a good percentage of the taste here, but make no mistake - this beer is far from "bitter", even compared to pale ales. Malts and grains come through in around the edges, again followed by a lemon-orange-citrus like sweetness that shows up for a moment and washes away. Some clove and light spice shows up once the beer is significantly warmer, although this isn't typically a beer that takes too long to put down. Thin body, crisp, clean, dry finish.

I'm not extremely well versed in "Czech Pilseners", so I don't know how this differs from the American type, but it certain makes for a refreshing beer to drink on a hot summer day. Hits the spot after mowing the lawn in 95 degree heat for hours.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint pint glass.

Pours crystal clear light golden in color. Very thin head of white soapy bubbles that dissipated very quickly to nothing. No lacing to speak of.

The smell strikes me as a slightly more malty version of your run of the mill American macro lager. There are some hops, some malts, but mostly it just has that generic 'beer' smell.

The first pull on this was light, refreshing and satisfying. There is a terrific balance between the light flavored malts and the grassy to citrus flavored hops. There is also just the slightest touch of yeasty fresh bread. The carbonation is quite light and the general disposition seems just a touch watery but still rather flavorful. There is just enough malt coming through that I would hesitate to call this 'dry' but it certainly isn't sweet. The finish is relatively quick and there is just a little bit of hoppy linger.

I found this to be incredibly drinkable. It just isn't too much of any one thing - just light and refreshing with just the right amount of flavor for the recipe. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I was really digging this brew.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

2.41/5  rDev -34.3%

Not impressed with this. I a big Sierra Nevada fan, their Pale Ale is what turned me on to better beers, and their Killerweiss is my favorite Hefe to date over several Germans I have tried. I was excited to try their Summerfest and was expecting a taste similar to Sam Adam's Summer Ale - crisp & somewhat citrusy. I took 1 sip of this beer and was disappointed. It iis a decent beer but it tastes like all the other mass produced crap.

Appearance is pretty standard, golden color, transparent with a slight head that reduces quickly.

Smell - not getting too much on the nostrils, but I am still new to reviewing beer....smells like the classic "beer" smell

Taste - slightly bitter and sour at the beginning and finishes with some malt. I am a fan of IPAs and like bitter, hoppy beer but this bitter isn't complex or floral.

Mouthfeel - medium body, not too thick, not too thin. Highly carbonated.

Drinkability - I honestly think this beer sucks but a lot of it is because I had high expectations of what I wanted it to taste like.

I usually will have 3-4 beers a night when I drink, but I am done after one of these and don't want anymore. I am going to try another one tomorrow and see if I come to the same conclusion. I may have gotten an old/bad batch as this is definitely not 'crisp' or 'refreshing.'

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Nice frothy pour. Golden color & transparent. Strong carbonation. Very light looking & refreshing.

Aroma: Malty with slight lemony hints? Smells similar to a German or Czech pils with that slightly skunky profile. Not too much to be found in the aroma.

Taste: Light, malty flavor with slight hop profile in the finish. Again, I note a slight lemony flavor....

Mouthfeel: Very light & crisp. Carbonation makes this very clean feeling on the way down. Very smooth...

Drinkability: Easy drinking! Good for a summer quaffer. Light, smooth & not overpowering.

Comments: I found this an enjoyable American pils in the German/Czech style, but nothing out of the ordinary. Good when looking for something light & easy drinking while staying with the domestic craft brewers.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

This is a great warm weather brew from Sierra Nevada. If you are kicking back on a hot summer day, this is definantly a great choice. It poured a clear golden color with a nice white head that lasted awhile, leaving a decent lace down till the end. The malty characteristics really stood out in the smell, with some grassy and hoppy smells as well. The taste was a great summer balance between malt and hops, with the malt being the dominant flavor. As the beer warms a bit, the hops come through a bit more, and it tasted more balanced. All in all a great summer brew.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.