2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,887 | Reviews: 1,409 | Show All Ratings:
jackndan

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Summerfest: a clear, golden lager. Thick head with nice lace. Light macro-lager aroma. Thin body, flat taste, little hop zest, lingering malty aftertaste. I am at a loss to understand this beer, it seems like a good macro-lager, but at its price, I’d give it a pass.

08-05-2002 11:10:23 | More by jackndan
aschwab

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Had it at the flying saucer in Austin for their fire sale.

Not the biggest fan, tasted like most pilsners, not much flavor in my mind. Pours clear in color, with not much head. The smell of it is not all that strong. It was carbonated about right for a pilsner, but did not impress.

If it was a warm day, and wanted something to quench my thirst, I can see grabbing one of these. Other than that, it doesnt seem to give off much flavor.

04-17-2009 15:58:15 | More by aschwab
JamesS

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a nice fizzy, pale yellow beer with some nice initial head, but almost no lacing. Decent malty scent and decent malty taste, although I would have classified this as a macro lager, as there was very little hop presence and there was a bit of a skunky/adjunct flavor and aroma. It went down smooth, but this is by far my least favorite SN beer to date.

05-26-2009 12:47:17 | More by JamesS
jasonjlewis

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Nice head and retention.

Nice clean crisp smell. straight up pale malts and hops. Don't smell a whole lot of stuff going on.

All I can say is eh for the taste The tannins are a little out of whack. It's slightly clean with a decent hop finish, but there is a slight nastiness. This beer is just eh. Bleh. Who cares?

Mouthfeel is very average, and this beer is decent to drink as there isn't much to it, but I'll pass for better pilsners.

09-08-2007 01:19:26 | More by jasonjlewis
obywan59

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale transparent yellow with a decent 1 1/2 finger white head.

Smell seems a bit "off". Mine may be skunked.Some light grassiness and a popcorn aroma.

Taste doesn't suit me either. I like a bitter beer, but this is bad bitter. Harsh, overpowering, out of balance.

Decent mouthfeel. Rather light and a bit drying.

The drinkability suffers here. It reminds me of a bad macro.,

Judging from the good reviews, I'm pretty certain my Summerfest must have been skunked. The beer I taste here can't hold a candle to Pilsner Urquell.

06-15-2010 01:53:43 | More by obywan59
Dogbrick

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

I was really not too impressed with this one. Pours a rich golden color with a medium and fizzy off-white head. Very bubbly with thin lacing. Aroma is mild hops with a pinch of citrus. Light and crisp but ultimately uninspiring in the flavor department. It tasted about a 1/2 step better than the rest of the bland Lagers out there. The finish is decent but I honestly found my interest waning way before the end of the glass.

07-28-2003 17:56:12 | More by Dogbrick
sacfly

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz twist off. $1.71/bottle (about .50 more than average local beers) 2005 on the neck band.

Pours a clear, light straw color. Thin white head of small bubbles. Smell is grassy and herbal. Light fruity notes… strange for a lager.

First taste comes with an astringent grassy flavor. Uhg. Lawn clipping aftertaste. The aftertaste is killing me. Long, lingering grass bitterness.

Hold on a minute… As the beer warms, the malt actually makes a bit of an appearance. Very odd. I still hate the aftertaste, but this has become palatable now that it has warmed up. Lager eh? If I were to drink this again, and that is a big if, I would start it chilled, but not cold. Drinking cold was a disaster, drinking cool made this an average beer.

Not sure how to score this one. For cold, go half a point lower, for cool, half a point higher.

10-04-2005 16:04:58 | More by sacfly
daliandragon

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Picked up a sixer of this (2006 edition) for the Kentucky Derby last Saturday in anticipation of clinking a few bottles in victory (and financial gain). Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my horse to finish and the beer didn't impress too much either but let's give it the official taste test.
Color is golden and features a snowy cap of head that is ably supported by an armada of carbonation bubbles. Hops are evident in the nose but are overshadowed by a grainy quality in the nose that doesn't do it for me. Not real stellar so far.
Initial taste is fairly decent but astringencies and a negative bitterness take it downhill from there. The mouthfeel is watery and thin, even for a Euro lager. Decent hop tones in the aftertaste but that's about all to recommend it.
I know everyone loves Sierra Nevada but I think this is sub par at best. I won't look for this one again, especially not for nine bones plus tax and deposit for a sixer. There are many better summer beers for my cash.

05-10-2006 05:51:39 | More by daliandragon
mjd83goblue

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz bottle for $1.79. 2007 Edition.

A: Pours a pale straw yellow with about an inch of white head.

S: I usually don't like the smell of pilsners. I tend to think they smell skunked or like Eurocrap, in a corny/grassy way. This is no exception.

T: Disappointing. Overhopped that leaves an unpleasant bitterness. Finishes a little sour as well. Does have a nice little touch of sweetness to it.

M: A nice crispness, but also a little weak.

D: Would be okay on a hot day, but nothing special.

On the bottle it just says its a 'traditional lager'. Here its categorized as a pils. I think its a combo of the two, and not necessarily in a good way. I expect better from SN.

06-21-2007 03:33:11 | More by mjd83goblue
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Kostritzer chalice-y pilsener glass.

A: Pours a medium straw color with perfect clarity and The head is a two finger white color with fizzy carbonation and poor retention (though not BMC bad by any stretch...)

S: In true SN fashion, it's fairly hop forward, only this time with earthy noble hops. There's also a touch of skunk and buttery malt.

T: There's a mild bitterness that helps keep the malt in check. The hop character is very earthy with just a hint of citric quality. The finish isn't quite zesty enough, but is crisp as hell. I'm not really feeling this one, to be honest, but it does it's job well enough.

M: Strong carbonation and a light body make this one easy to drink. Good crispness and floral notes on the aftertaste.

O: It isn't bad for what it is, but it isn't very good either. I like a good pilsner every now and then, but I prefer them with less dank earthiness and more zesty tartness. Still, it's quite drinkable, refreshing, and it hits the spot on a hot summer day...then again, so does SN's Kellerweis, which is 100x better in my opinion.

05-26-2012 18:32:00 | More by ThisWangsChung
UltramagnusX

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

It is a lot more consistent in taste than that of the bottle. You can definitely experience more of a full flavor, whereas the bottled version is a lot more mellow. I've had this beer on draft as well, and being that I am not a fan of lagers, I was also not a fan of this beer in any of its forms. I find that the taste is too bitter, as if licking a mahogany wood post. I just can't grasp the bitterness and wish that there was more to offer in terms of its flavor.

Serving type: can

06-01-2013 23:09:40 | More by UltramagnusX
CampusCrew

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

A poorly done SN job. I expected so much. it wasn;t awful but not up to their standards.

appearance: golden

smell: not much there. had a pilsner distinct aroma

taste: Like a classic pilsner but with a dirty macro aftertaste

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: there's better pilsners out there. worst SN beer in the lineup

06-20-2009 16:01:18 | More by CampusCrew
whtguitarguy

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

This one was likely a little old when I got it (I have my comments in a notebook). Pours a yellowish color. Aroma was rather skunky, so I am guessing light got to it. The flavor was much like the smell. Caramel malts within the brew are a little heavy, but I have come to expect that of many micros.

12-25-2009 03:56:32 | More by whtguitarguy
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Clear, golden yellow, fluffy white head, some retention & lace.

S: Acidic, soapy/floral hops.

T: Slightly sweet, slight soapy/floral hop flavour. Needs some more bready maltyness and bitterness. It's just too light for a Pils.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: Approachable & quite quaffable, but it doesn't bring me back for more.

08-13-2006 19:16:22 | More by Derek
hero27

2008 Vintage
12 oz bottle

Pours a bright yellow color with a surprisingly frothy head of white foam.
Very faint grainy corn-husk aroma..other than that, nothing in the nose at all.
Light bodied with a pale malt flavor up-front and a dash of grassy, floral hops..some light lemon zest as well.
Overall, this is a very light, clean, drinkable beer that is a bit rough-around-the-edges. The flavor is lackluster and honestly rather bland with no standout qualities. It would be alright on a hot summer day to quench your thirst, but probably not one I'd choose to re-visit.

06-16-2008 03:07:12 | More by hero27
tjwarren

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from bottle to a pint glass after trying it out of the bottle (to see if it is a worthy picnic beer.)

Pale straw color little to no head, not impressed at all.

Smell, I felt it was a little skunky. Not what I was hoping for. I kind of had Sam Admas Summer Ale on my mind and I felt this was a disappointment.

Taste, not a whole lot there. A little skunk with almost a grassy finish. Not bad for what they were going for but not really the bite I was expecting. It was crisp and clean like a summer beer, it just didn't do anything for me. Did not jump off the page at me.

Mouthfeel was somewhat absent, a little watery but if I was drinking it on a hotter day I think I would have liked it more.

If you are looking for a summer refresher, plain and simple and the little bit of skunk does not get in your way this is probably a winner.

For me as a summer beer I don't think this quite cut the mustard. I think the SA mentioned and Anchor Steam summer or Bell's Oberon would do better. In fact I would pick a Corona and lime over this. To be fair though you should try it on a hot summer day. Might improve then.

05-25-2009 19:51:21 | More by tjwarren
JackStraw22

2.58/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2005 vintage

Appearance: Crystal clear golden body, nice crisp white head that stuck around. Lots of bubbles up to the top. Good lacing too.

Smell: Very earthy and herbal hops, crisp and refreshing aroma. A little one dimensional, though.

Taste: One of the only lagers I've had that's a real hop assult. In my opinion, it doesn't work. It reminds me a lot of tonic water unfortunately. Very dry too, not refreshing.

It was off to a good start with it's appearance and aroma, but didn't quite hold up. Oh well.

06-03-2005 00:03:34 | More by JackStraw22
chicagobill13

2.58/5  rDev -29.5%

I love Sierra nevada Beers but this one kind of disappoint me. A nice crisp clear lager. Nice session beer. Barely any head. Perfect on a hot summer day. I believe this beer would grow on me but I remember having this beer last year and loving it. I am thinking they change it every year. Is this true?

07-02-2011 01:09:53 | More by chicagobill13
JayTheFinn

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

There's very few lager beers that I like. While this isn't the worst by far, I wasn't all that impressed.

Pale gold body with a 1 finger white head. Smells like corn mostly. Not very pleasant. Corn, hops and grassiness is all I taste. But overall, the flavor is better than most standard lagers. Highly carbonated to the point where it interfered with my enjoyment. I don't like belching a lot. Slightly below average drinkability for me, again cuz I'm not a big fan of the style. But I can see other's digging this one, especially at a summer bbq with some chicken wings...mmm.

07-12-2006 01:27:15 | More by JayTheFinn
robocrouch

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Poured into my pint glass from the bottle. A clear golden color with almost no head and plenty of carbonation bubbles.

S: Really no smell to be smelled has a very macro feel to it.

T: Very grainy and watery. The body is so light that it tastes so much like a macro that I kept looking at my bottle to make sure I was drinking a Sierra Nevada beer. Almost no flavor.

D: Overall this is the worst Sierra Nevada beer that I have had and was shocked, honestly at how low quality this is.

06-22-2007 04:43:31 | More by robocrouch
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz short bottle into standard pint. fridge temp.

A: pale apple juice colored VERY clear. Tiny thin white bubbles made a "head" that disappeared right away. The it was like watching lemon lime soda fizz up in a glass. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming to the top and disappearing into nothingness. No ring to speak of.

S: Bit of pale malt on the nose and faint hops. Smells a little astringent (but that seems to be common among cezch pils). Smells a little sweet. Pretty lackluster here too.

T: The malt backbone of this one is pretty noticeable, surprising since it the smell of it was only enough to say "this is beer, it is made with malted barley" which is something even poor quality macro's can say to an extent. After the bit of dank malt flavor passes it becomes a tad metallic before the hops really shines. No real bitterness but an alright hop presence. I expect some hops from something calling itself a pilsner. A little floral, like dandelions. The end of the drink is so far the best part but not redeeming.

M: As it should be; thin, light, and crisp. The carbonation is soda like, you can feel it give a little bite on the tongue. Refreshing to drink.

O: Not impressed with this, it is refreshing though. It delivers on the promise printed on the label "crisp summer lager." Good thing the label doesn't say "outstanding pilsner flavor, like you have never seen before!" because then it would be lying. It tastes fine but isn't anything special. Easily sessionable and if I went to a friends house and they offered me one I wouldn't turn it down.

07-16-2012 03:55:32 | More by N3rdM3t4l
gmfessen

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-yellow color, with a thin bubbly head. The smell is rather non-distinct like most pilsners, but there is hints of pale malts and a slight hoppiness to it. The taste is rather bitter, only a slight graininess otherwise, could be much better balanced and overall not that enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a bubbly carbonation comprised of many fine bubbles. Drinkability suffers due to the fact that this beer just doesn't taste very good. All around "average" describes this beer at best.

09-08-2007 22:19:07 | More by gmfessen
GPF

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

I read a bunch of the reveiws here and I feel like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes" wondering why this is one of the worst tasting lagers I've had in a long time but everyone else is singing it's praises. I love good lagers and I drink a lot of them and I always like to try new ones. I picked a couple bottles up at Trader Joe's because you can purchase by the bottle there and I figured I'd give it a go. I had to literally choke the beer down. A good lager should not be bitter like an ale and give a bad after taste. It should go down smoothe and have a pleasant aftertaste to the pallette. This did neither, it was very hoppy and more characteristics of a Pale Ale.

I really like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and it is my go to beer when I want something with a little bite and bitterness. I think they should stick with what they know how to brew and stay away from doing a Lager in the future. I am still perplexed though at what so many people find appealing about this lager.

06-02-2013 01:21:56 | More by GPF
Rosanne

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

much like a Carlton draft but smoother

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

06-14-2013 07:48:20 | More by Rosanne
mrasskicktastic

2.45/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pale urine yellow with about three fingers of off white head. A bit of lacing clings to the side after the head disappears, which takes about three minutes.

S - This is like shoving your nose in a bud light. A little grassy with some sweet corn.

T - Foretaste has a grassy kick with some lightly sweet light bodied malt. The aftertaste is sort of grassy and lighty bitter. The bitterness lingers for a while.

M - Thin, watery, lightly refreshing. A few moments after drinking, my mouth goes dry though.

D - Nothing special here. I could drink again, I'd rather not though. It is basically an above above macro lager mixed with a pils. Not my thing.

05-29-2006 23:34:11 | More by mrasskicktastic
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.