Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,509 | Hads: 3,878

From a 12 oz bottle into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). Pale yellow color with minor head of tan foam. Nose of bready malt and a touch of crisp hops. In the mouth, a bit more bready than expected along with subdued hops yields ho-hum flavor. Crisp and quenching but nothing special. Drinkable? Sure, but after one there's little to bring me back for more. Discovering that this is a "Czech Pilsner" is even more off-putting; it's a rather weak interpretation of the style. (477 characters)

Poured a 2" white head. Clear pale lemon yellow color. Really not much of a smell at all at first and as it warmed all I got was grass. Fairly standard BMC taste. In fact I don't even detect any of those common attributes of spice or citrus so often worked into summer brews, this really is just typical BMC. Crisp finish but not a standout. I expected more from Sierra Nevada. (377 characters)

Reviewed on 6/28/08. Bottle. Pours a clear golden yellow with a small white head. Aroma and flavor of light fruits, wheat, with a spicy kick in the swallow. A little skunkiness as the beer warms. Decent lager.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 3/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 12/20
3.0/5 (283 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -18.8%

Saw this at the local beer store still on the shelf, a single was only a dollar so I figured I'd give it a shot, even if it has been a few months since its best by date.

The beer pours a very clear lemon drop yellow with lots of lively carbonation running up the glass. The beer pushes up a nice one inch ivory-colored head that has a pretty long retention, then leads to some nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

This is where the age comes in a bit. I can smell a slight sourness/skunkiness in the beer, but beneath it I can still make out some pale malts.

Same thing with the taste. Where some nice clean, grassy hops might once have been (I imagine), I now taste a slight sourness that makes the flavor of this beer unfortunately similar to a Miller High Life with some pale malts added.

The mouthfeel is good, especially for a summer beer. It's nice and light with a refreshing amount of carbonation and a crisp finish.

I definitely need to get this when it's in season. I can see the potential now, because it isn't a horrible beer right now even when it's a bit skunky. I'll give it another shot and re-review later. (1,139 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Summerfest started with a decent head but recedes within minutes, still lacing is somewhat nice. The color is golden yellow which resembles straw.

S: The aroma is tough to gather any sort specific elements. To me there was a heavier yeasty smell, maybe some lemon but other than that Im not getting much from the smell.

T: Honestly all I really taste is a grainy/biscuit flavor through out the whole gulp. There a hop presence at the beginning but the rest is malt. For this reason I think the drinkability is easy, nothing complicated here and is quite refreshing.

M; Light body, carbonation is refreshing, not thick or thin it has a nice balance.

O: The name summerfest suits this beer perfectly. Its easy to drink, has flavor and is light. It was nice to try but I will stick with Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere for the summer season. (847 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours a very light and marigold yellow. Hardly any foam, just some traces on the top that fade quickly.

S: Mainly malt mixed in with some floral tones...which almost smell like freshly mown grass.

T: Not as malty as I anticipated. Some mild sweetness, but no other flavors are too pronounced to this tongue.

M: Extremely light and 'fluid'. Carbonation level is perfect- enough at the beginning of a sip to be interesting and reminiscent of soda but not annoyingly strong like you get with many beers.

O: Very refreshing, and not by bad by any stretch, but certainly forgettable. Wouldn't be a bad session alternative to drinking megabrews.

Serving type: bottle (672 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

From a 6 pack bought with surplus grocery money. I've tried Sierra Nevada's Extra IPA and Winter varietal in the past and was rather impressed with both. This one, not so much so.

A- Light honey color, head dissipated quickly.

S- Grassy, hay, some floral notes, some citrus. Not as bold as advertised.

T- Similar to smell but again, not as bold as advertised. I get a nice citrusy, hoppy note at the finish and that is quite frankly this beer's only redeeming quality.

M- Crisp, refreshing, the kind of brew I would drink after working in the sun all day (if it were not for the sub-par taste).

O- I was expecting more from this brew, thus the lower scores. As a fan of Sierra Nevada's IPA styles I think I will stick to those from now on. But, this is a good summer beer after a long day's work. I guess one could call it a "starter" beer for someone looking to get into microbrews. (888 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Without a doubt, this is the weakest offering I've ever had from Sierra Nevada. Was the goal with this beer just to make the least offensive beer as possible?

My sample poured a clear straw color that left a fizzy white head that lingered for about 20 seconds. No lacing.

The aroma was a dry maltiness with just a faint hint of hops, they seemed of noble origin.

The taste was balanced yet weak, not too much delight in the senses.

The mouthfeel was light to medium, and carbonation was high. Was intendend to be a volume beer, and although drinkable, the last time I ever try this one on-tap. (606 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a clear golden with low carbonation, good head but dissipates very quickly. Lite lacing slightly fizzy.

Typical european hop aroma and aftertaste. Lightly sweet and tart, yet has a flat taste to it. Finishes harsh and bitter/dry. Crisp going down. Long linger in the mouth and light hints of malt.

This is your typical true pilsner (340 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

It poured light gold with a very thin white head,
The smell was very light with of hops and a hint of citrus.
Taste was a little sweet with a hint of lemon. It went down smooth but had a bit of an aftertaste.
It was ok but I'm not sure I would purchase it again .
Paid $.99 for 1 bottle at the Liquor Barn Hurstbourne (321 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

I normally loathe doing these types of reviews, but I think it is appropriate. The 2010 SN Summerfest to me tastes like a watered down version of their SNPA. I must say this is my least favorite SN Beer to date.

A- Light yellow, no head to speak of.

S- Not getting much, but weak hops

T- SummerFest= SNPA + Water

M- water, water, and water

D- This is not hard to drink, but is too watery for me.

SN has yet to let me down as a brewery, i will try another batch of this, just incase I got a pack of duds. (510 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -20.1%

Color was a nice gold, the smell was not very impressive and the taste was not what i was expecting from Sierra Nevada. When i took the first smell and taste of Summerfest it reminded me more of my freshmen year and going to busch light kegs, easy to drink but not an impressive tase. The after taste that is left is a bit bitter for the flavor that the beer does have. Like i said not really what i was expecting coming from Sierra Nevada which i tend to enjoy most of their other beers. (488 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -20.7%

Clear, golden yellow, fluffy white head, some retention & lace. Acidic, soapy/floral hops. Slightly sweet, slight soapy/floral hop flavour. Needs some more bready maltyness and bitterness. It's just too light for a Pils. Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation. Approachable & quite quaffable, but it doesn't bring me back for more. (337 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color lager with a medium creamy white head with great retention. Aroma of medium sweet floral malt is quite enjoyable. Taste is very refreshing with a nice dose of sweet malt with some crisp floral hops. Body is a bit too thin to make this truly special but still very enjoyable. (310 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.9%

Figured I'd give it a shot on a hot muggy night. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A- pours a yellow golden color. A small white head that disappears as fast as it showed up.

A- some grain or hay smell. Maybe some corn.

T- have to admit that I'm fairly dissapointed. Not getting much other than grain. There is a bit of spice from the hops but they are almost nonexistent.

M- on the thinner side of thin.

D- It drinks like water. I guess if I wanted to drink a very light craft brew I would think about grabbin one. There are just so many others that I would go for before this. Honestly, I don't see myself revisiting this one. With all the good reviews that this beer has I guess it's possible that I just got a bad batch. Maybe I will pick up another bottle next time I hit up a shop where I can buy a single. (822 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Well, not sure about this one; not what I would produce as a summer beer myself, but then again I am not in charge here. I will have to sample this one again at a later date to reconfirm how it tasted to me on this one, as it fell on me taste quite harshly. Draft beer poured golden-light with puddles of thin foam, esp. around the edges of the glass. Somewhat fragrant smell of hops. Taste was quite tart and hoppy, but I would have liked this one better with balancing malt profile. I never had this beer before but am familiar with their pale ale and use of hops, so I was rather expecting a fair amount, but overall the taste did not hit me right (this time). My non-affection for this one surprised me: I love their other beers I have tried. (746 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a golden straw color with a thin, bone-white head. Smells cool and floral, with a slight metallic twinge. Actually very flowery, the more I smell it. First sip is very crisp, dryly malty; floral hops make a huge appearance here, too, with a prominent bitterness. Body is rather thin, and the alcohol kind of shines through, surprisingly. The taste kind of reminds me of a so-so champagne, honestly - floral and bitey in that way. I'm not sure how "Czech style" this pilsner really is, and I probably won't seek it out when I'm in the mood for that kind of beer. (567 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

A- Ridiculously clear and light. Indistinguishable from a Corona Light. Decent head, fluffy and light, slight rockiness on top and with great retention. Lively carbonation streams.

S- Musty! Like dust, literally. Smells like the back of an old computer store. Doesn't even smell like a liquid, it smells dry! I've never encountered such a smell before. After the initial shock wears of, I can find apricots and other light fruit esters from the hops. Very faint maltyness in there providing a dab of sugary sweetness. But wow, it still smells like old dust to me. Weird.

T- Slightly tangy hops and malt balance, fades to macro-like metallic hops twang, slightly bitter finish. Mostly a mustier pilsner, nothing too terribly exciting here. Easy flavor, no overwhelming tastes in either direction. Meh, what can I say? Kind of boring.

M- Light body, fair carbonation and more than decent smoothness of pulls. The best part of this beer, by far.

D- No real reason I would drink this beer again. Boring and faceless with a weird mustiness to it. Not the biggest hit with me, but I wouldn't complain if it was at a BBQ. Can go down without noticing it's lesser qualities. (1,170 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from bottle to a pilsner glass, a clear yellow with a white bubbly head and moderate lacing. Smelled like corn, lawn clippings and lemons. Tasted bland with a trace of lemons. Not much flavor in this one at all. Goes down easy with light body and crisp nothingness. I could drink a bunch of these but there are lots of better choices out there. (351 characters)

2008 edition

Appearance: Nice golden hue with an inch of head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: Sweet

Taste & Mouthfeel: Mellow and crisp with a citrus kick. Hops seems to come out a bit more than the malt. Has a strong and full dry finish.

Drinkability: For a summer lager, it seems to be a bit too full-bodied. Not quite sure if I would drink a bunch of these during the summer months. Not great, but not too bad either. (427 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21.5%

I've been lurking here for a few months now and my enjoyment of beer has grown by leaps and bounds. I figured it was time to try a review.

I picked this one up at a Safeway, small selection, but decent variety. The label looked good, It is summer, so what the heck. The first thing I noticed was the screw top, most of the beers I've had lately were crimped, needing an opener. Not important, but just caught my attention.

It poured a bit like machine oil, a bit floppish, rather than exciting and energetic. A very small head about half an inch high which died immediately. Not a good sign, maybe a slightly dusty glass, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt here. Color was basically light golden, a step above bodywater, a small step. First whiff was not too overwhelming, it had a bit of a vomit tinge to it, so I let it sit a bit and watched the bubbles flow up, small but excited. I tried another smell. Cherry cordials is the closest I can come up with, very pleasant smell, sweet and smooth. It saved itself on the second go around.

As for taste, it has a mouthfeel that is a bit thick and goes down the throat with a bit of a slither, not my cuppa tea. The taste really is a small step above a nonlight macro, too much fizz and no real taste to get excited about. Though, I can say, that it may be a good way to get your macro lovin' friends to step out of the darkness and move a bit towards the light. I may try it again, with the sweet smell, there has to be some nice tastes in there, but I sure didn't find them this go around.

I will add a disclaimer, I am new at this, though I know what I like, and my first beer experiences were at the age of 18 while stationed in W. Germany. So my tastes tend to run that direction, and since I am learning the technical aspects of this hobby, I really don't know my malts from my hops yet. So take this review for what it's worth. This beer is basically a smaller brewers version of a macro, which I guess as a lager, that makes sense.
VH (2,018 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm somewhat over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream, okay thickness, and average retention. Clear yellow colour. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Clean malts, bland hops, and some barley. A very boring and bland aroma. Average strength. Not particularly appealing.

T: Clean malts lend it body. Background floral hops give it a little character, but not enough to save it from its simplicity. There's very little going on here. No yeast or alcohol notes are present. There's some malty sweetness on the climax. The finish is bland, but at least it's a change of pace from the body - some crystal malt is all that really comes through. Bland and boring all around.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thick enough. Acceptable carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but mundane. I'm pretty underwhelmed - but hey, it's Sierra Nevada. I wouldn't get this again, but it's a decent little pilsener. Probably best on draught.

(1,286 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

My first reaction to this was that it tasted like a Lager. Then I realized that they made it like that. Bright golden color topped with a medium foam head that fades away quite quickly. Aroma was a little malty with some lemon. I noticed the citrus a little more in the taste along with a malty, grassy flavor. I don't really see what makes this so good for the summer but it was a decent beer. (394 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A – Straw yellow and crystal clear. One-finger head of perfectly white bubbles the consistency of sea foam.

S – Faint grainy aroma of wheat, lemon rind, and lager yeast.

T – Taste follows the nose; wheat grain husk, yeast, cracker-like malt, and a slightly spicy hop finish. “Light” is the operative word here, with all the flavors dialed down to “mild”.

M – Light bodied, with carbonation bordering on fizzy. Finishes crisp.

O – Just too light, grainy, and watery for my tastes, although admittedly I may just not be the biggest fan of this style. At least you can taste the quality of the ingredients used; this is what BMC wishes it could taste like. (720 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

A one-finger off-white head sits atop this almost clear golden brew. Smells of very light lager/skunk up front, but nothing to fret about. Some grass, subtle malts and hops, and distant sweetness also come forth. Tastes crisp and a bit bitter. Very light bodied and drinkable, but not overly interesting. Carbonation is fairly active. Not much else to say. (356 characters)

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.