Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,831 | Reviews: 1,525
2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A- Ridiculously clear and light. Indistinguishable from a Corona Light. Decent head, fluffy and light, slight rockiness on top and with great retention. Lively carbonation streams.

S- Musty! Like dust, literally. Smells like the back of an old computer store. Doesn't even smell like a liquid, it smells dry! I've never encountered such a smell before. After the initial shock wears of, I can find apricots and other light fruit esters from the hops. Very faint maltyness in there providing a dab of sugary sweetness. But wow, it still smells like old dust to me. Weird.

T- Slightly tangy hops and malt balance, fades to macro-like metallic hops twang, slightly bitter finish. Mostly a mustier pilsner, nothing too terribly exciting here. Easy flavor, no overwhelming tastes in either direction. Meh, what can I say? Kind of boring.

M- Light body, fair carbonation and more than decent smoothness of pulls. The best part of this beer, by far.

D- No real reason I would drink this beer again. Boring and faceless with a weird mustiness to it. Not the biggest hit with me, but I wouldn't complain if it was at a BBQ. Can go down without noticing it's lesser qualities.

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from bottle to a pilsner glass, a clear yellow with a white bubbly head and moderate lacing. Smelled like corn, lawn clippings and lemons. Tasted bland with a trace of lemons. Not much flavor in this one at all. Goes down easy with light body and crisp nothingness. I could drink a bunch of these but there are lots of better choices out there.

2008 edition

Appearance: Nice golden hue with an inch of head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: Sweet

Taste & Mouthfeel: Mellow and crisp with a citrus kick. Hops seems to come out a bit more than the malt. Has a strong and full dry finish.

Drinkability: For a summer lager, it seems to be a bit too full-bodied. Not quite sure if I would drink a bunch of these during the summer months. Not great, but not too bad either.

2.89/5  rDev -21%

I've been lurking here for a few months now and my enjoyment of beer has grown by leaps and bounds. I figured it was time to try a review.

I picked this one up at a Safeway, small selection, but decent variety. The label looked good, It is summer, so what the heck. The first thing I noticed was the screw top, most of the beers I've had lately were crimped, needing an opener. Not important, but just caught my attention.

It poured a bit like machine oil, a bit floppish, rather than exciting and energetic. A very small head about half an inch high which died immediately. Not a good sign, maybe a slightly dusty glass, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt here. Color was basically light golden, a step above bodywater, a small step. First whiff was not too overwhelming, it had a bit of a vomit tinge to it, so I let it sit a bit and watched the bubbles flow up, small but excited. I tried another smell. Cherry cordials is the closest I can come up with, very pleasant smell, sweet and smooth. It saved itself on the second go around.

As for taste, it has a mouthfeel that is a bit thick and goes down the throat with a bit of a slither, not my cuppa tea. The taste really is a small step above a nonlight macro, too much fizz and no real taste to get excited about. Though, I can say, that it may be a good way to get your macro lovin' friends to step out of the darkness and move a bit towards the light. I may try it again, with the sweet smell, there has to be some nice tastes in there, but I sure didn't find them this go around.

I will add a disclaimer, I am new at this, though I know what I like, and my first beer experiences were at the age of 18 while stationed in W. Germany. So my tastes tend to run that direction, and since I am learning the technical aspects of this hobby, I really don't know my malts from my hops yet. So take this review for what it's worth. This beer is basically a smaller brewers version of a macro, which I guess as a lager, that makes sense.
VH

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm somewhat over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream, okay thickness, and average retention. Clear yellow colour. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Clean malts, bland hops, and some barley. A very boring and bland aroma. Average strength. Not particularly appealing.

T: Clean malts lend it body. Background floral hops give it a little character, but not enough to save it from its simplicity. There's very little going on here. No yeast or alcohol notes are present. There's some malty sweetness on the climax. The finish is bland, but at least it's a change of pace from the body - some crystal malt is all that really comes through. Bland and boring all around.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thick enough. Acceptable carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but mundane. I'm pretty underwhelmed - but hey, it's Sierra Nevada. I wouldn't get this again, but it's a decent little pilsener. Probably best on draught.

C

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

My first reaction to this was that it tasted like a Lager. Then I realized that they made it like that. Bright golden color topped with a medium foam head that fades away quite quickly. Aroma was a little malty with some lemon. I noticed the citrus a little more in the taste along with a malty, grassy flavor. I don't really see what makes this so good for the summer but it was a decent beer.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A – Straw yellow and crystal clear. One-finger head of perfectly white bubbles the consistency of sea foam.

S – Faint grainy aroma of wheat, lemon rind, and lager yeast.

T – Taste follows the nose; wheat grain husk, yeast, cracker-like malt, and a slightly spicy hop finish. “Light” is the operative word here, with all the flavors dialed down to “mild”.

M – Light bodied, with carbonation bordering on fizzy. Finishes crisp.

O – Just too light, grainy, and watery for my tastes, although admittedly I may just not be the biggest fan of this style. At least you can taste the quality of the ingredients used; this is what BMC wishes it could taste like.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

A one-finger off-white head sits atop this almost clear golden brew. Smells of very light lager/skunk up front, but nothing to fret about. Some grass, subtle malts and hops, and distant sweetness also come forth. Tastes crisp and a bit bitter. Very light bodied and drinkable, but not overly interesting. Carbonation is fairly active. Not much else to say.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a sparkling golden color with 1.5 inches of off-white head that quickly vanishes completely, leaving no trace of lacing.

S: Some biscuit, a light floral hop, and pilsner malt. Really lacking in the aroma department.

T: Pilsner malt, crackers. Some light floral hop and biscuit follow. It's a pretty clean flavor.

M: Light-bodied, with low carbonation. The label promises crispness. The beer most definitely isn't. A weak presence and not particularly refreshing as a result.

D: I think I'll get something else for a summer brew.

2.87/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into a glass. Had a very pale yellow color with a white head that fades pretty quickly. Some lacing, kind of sticky. Smell of some slight hops, not very strong. Had some after tastes of wheat, maybe some hay. Taste was very mediocre at best. Some wheat to it with a slight hop finish, again not a strong flavor. Mouthfeel was pretty decent, had a nice crisp feel to it, finishes a little dry at the end. A pretty drinkable beer, quite refreshing overall, despite the lack of flavor. If you know somebody who is trying to get into more quality breweries and can't seem to find any they like, this may be worth a shot. I really wouldn't go out of my way to ever try it again though.

2.87/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured a clear golden color with a white head that didnt last too long. Light hoppy aroma that is a bit citrusy. Kind of disappointing for a Sierra Nevada beer. My brother made the remark that this would have been better as an ale. Taste was ok with a bit of hop character and fruitiness, but something just wasnt quite right. Decent, but thats about it.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer poured a very light blonde color with a white head that lasted almost the whole beer with a failry good amount of lacing. The smell was very light with just a hint of a light malt.

The taste was very crisp malty flavor with a hint a lemon. The mouthfeel was fair, with the C02 being a little too strong and the beer being very thin.

All in all a fair beer, not my favorite from Sierra Nevada. But as for it being a Pilsner not bad.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

After browsing the beer aisle at Kroger for about 15 minutes, I eventually decided on this.

A: pours a light yellow color with an inch of white, quickly dissipating head.

S: Smells like an average macro to me...nothing special here.

T: Pretty bland. Honestly to me it tastes like an average light beer with a slight hint of lemon.

M: Lightly carbonated and easy on the mouth.

D: Really the only great thing about this beer is the drinkability. I could slam these all night without a problem.

Overall I was pretty disappointed with this beer... id much rather grab the SNPA.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

A - Typical fizzy, yellow color, with a pretty nice fluffy white head. For the style, I guess it looks as it should.

S - Not much in the nose. A little fruit and some malt. Smells like a Miller Lite/Bud Light.

T - It's best when it's cold. I think this has a fairly high score because it's Sierra Nevada. If it were part of a blind taste test, in my opinion, it would be hard to separate this from any Macro Lager/Pilsener.

M - An unpleasant taste lingers on the back of the tongue. There's a subtle sweetness and a bit more flavor than a Macro Lager.

I haven't drank too many Czech Pilsners, but it seems to be a good example. I couldn't help but think this was an interpretation of an American adjunct lager. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Pilseners and don't have much experience with the Czech style.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

A- golden yellow, very clear, with minimal head

S- slight hops, slight citrus..no real strong smell in my opinion

T- I found this beer to have more flavor as it warms up a little..if you are trying this beer for the first time, don't drink it ice cold! Just like the smell, it has a very slight hops taste, very slight citrus taste, and the warmer it seems to have a hint of spice taste.

D- goes down very smooth, definitely a good summertime beer. However, there are definitely MUCH better summertime beers. (I.E. Southern Tier's Hop Sun).

I enjoy most SN beers, but this beer is average all around. Probably would not but another 6 pack, even though it was only $6.99.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

summerfest 2009.

pour is a clear yellow with a medium white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, slight grain, some straw, and a little citrus.

taste is crisp, smooth, grain, some malt, a little corn, and some citrus.

overall better than most pilsners.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

Clear golden with big white foamy head and a nice bubbly body. Crisp pilsener aroma. Spicy hop character with crisp pilsner malt and a somewhat unpleasant bitter linger. Good sharp carbonation leads to crisp refreshing finish.

A decent summer pilsener, I really enjoyed the spicy hop character but the bittering was a little too tannic for me. Easy drinking to be sure and it sure looked like simmer in a glass.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours an effervescent dark yellow, bubbles continually rising to the surface, with a thumbs width white head that sticks around for just a little while. Got the earthy, hay-like lager aroma with just a touch of sweetness from the malt. Interesting flavor to this, very drinkable. A nice dose of malty sweetness that has me thinking of the sugar from fruit, some hay, and little cereal. A creamy, active and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, alright beer but not one I need to drink again.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

pours yellow color - a little darker than straw here. White head starts to fizz away shortly thereafter but slows and eventually leaves surprisingly good lace. Good looking brew.

Aroma is pretty light, definite light Saaz spicy note. No real malt noted here to my surprise. No diacetyl or DMS noted. Hmm...

Flavor is again a bit underwhelming while once again being devoid of a measurable flaw. Sweet pale malt comes out a bit more here (still light) and hops significantly less. And...is that a sort of toast? Vienna at least, perhaps even Munich? Didn't expect that. Very slight astringency along with medium high carb on the body which is on the light side of medium.

Noting special but a decent offering. Other than the Saaz this doesn't seem at all a Bohemian Pilsner to my palate.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured a semi-cloudy, yellow color with a soft head that dissipated quickly and left behind no lacing. Aromas of hops, grains, and yeast. The taste was a very mild with only a bit of hop bitterness and even less sweet malt. The carbonation added some texture, but otherwise there really was nothing special about this beer. Hardly any flavors came out and not much going on in the aftertaste. Overall, this was a below-average beer lacking flavor and texture.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Picked up at Whole Foods Sarasota.

A: Pours a light golden hue with an average sized soapy head. Some rising bubbles noted but no lace.

S: Smell is of light crisp pale malt and lager yeast. Biscuit, bread and grains really come thru as well. A slight hint of light citrus hops are there as well.

T: I had this one on draft last year and did not like it due to a real metallic taste. Let's see if this years offering is any better. It starts of with a nice mild malt sweetness with hints of toasted malt. Some nice citrus comes come thru with a touch of bitterness. Just when I thought this one had really improved a strange metallic chemical flavor appears in the finish and really lingers.

M: Medium in body, crisp with a dry metallic finish.

D: Taste is a bit better than last year but still not one I recommend.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Dark yellow in appearance, with mild carbonation, and very little head. Has a light grainy smell and is sweet to taste with a slight bitterness and citrus to it's aftertaste. A pretty watery and light beer. I would say it's very drinkable though not overly impressive.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a tasting glass.

Looks OK, filtered as all get-out. Pale in color, a little head, but doesn't look like a knockout beer.

Smell is light Saaz hops providing earthiness. Malt doesn't make it, it's just that weak. Everything is bland and subdued. I thought Sierra was making beers with some personality, but this is the most vanilla thing I've had in a while.

My notes say "this beer = water, drink it to hydrate in between beers". I was just really not impressed with the flavors here. After having an excellent Czech Pils from none other than Gordon Biersch a few weeks ago, this is just too bland. Mild sweet malt, no real spicy bitterness or grassy qualities from the hops. Just plain Jane vanilla.

Mouthfeel was nice, best mouthfeel I've had for a glass of water. And, sure drinkability was good. After all, we're like 60-70% made up of this stuff.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bright yellow appearance with a subtle head that fades quickly. Slight hint of hops in the scent along with a barely noticeable spiciness. Tasted like a weak Czech Pilsener. Didn't have the hop profile I would expect from a beer of this style. Had a very light mouthfeel and was an easy drinker. I felt like I could drink several of these in one sitting and not get filled up.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

Labeled 2012 bottle from wegman's six pack poured into pint glass.

A= Clear straw color consistent with style. Half inch of bright white head.

S- Aroma reminiscent of macro-brewed lager, which is to say not much. I associate the smell with adjunct corn, but I doubt that is the case here.

T- Crisp and clean taste with little hop profile. Refreshing and light with a bit of sweetness that lingers afterward.

M- Thin, but not as thin as others of this type.

O- Not offensive, but with significantly less character than other craft summer seasonals. After trying other "summer beers" this is not particularly compelling. Probably the first SN beer I haven't been impressed with.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.