1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,874 | Reviews: 1,409 | Show All Ratings:
Averwo

Iowa

2.35/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours with a golden body. Goldish yellow color with one finger of head.

Smell is grassy and weak. Not very strong notes of anything.

Taste is very watered down. Lemon and grain. Not very impressive.

Mouthfeel is decent but watery.

I can see this trying to be a BBQ or "summer" beer but I'd go with other choices for that.

It's just not very pleasant or enjoyable.

07-05-2013 16:46:00 | More by Averwo
GolgiIPAratus

2.38/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 4.13.05

Medium pour produces a dense, one & a half inch head that fades at no speed above abnormal, and fades at no speed below abnormal. The liquid is transparent, offering a clear view of my fingers on the other side of the glass through a golden filter. Lacing is average, nothing special.

The smell is malty caramel, which is strange for a summer time offering. Tangy tidbits twist in the nostrils as well. Nothing here whetting my desire to get into this beer.

The first taste is dominated by that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale flavor. A caramelized malt whip pushes those overwhelming hops aside, however. A light, light bitterness peeks through upon the swallow. I'm not impressed with this flavor. Not sure why this is their version of a "summer" beer. It's just too thick. The mouth is creamy and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability depends on how much you actually enjoy the beer (obviously) . I didn't enjoy the flavor, so drinkability wasn't good for me.

04-14-2005 14:52:14 | More by GolgiIPAratus
TexIndy

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. It was a clear pale gold color. It had an average fizzy white head that quickly dissipated. Good carb and a little lacing.

I've never been a fan of the aroma on these. Smell like wet dog to me which doesn't exactly work up a thirst. Taste was good for the style but again this isn't one of my favorites. Has a crisp bite to it and finishes with a strong bitter taste.

Overall, not a beer that I'd try again. The label didn't specify the style and I mostly like SA beers so I thought I'd give it a try in my mixed 6ixer. Just another one to mark of the list.

08-20-2008 02:02:01 | More by TexIndy
hdofu

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

I guess I just don't like this style at all because it was one of the worst beers I have ever gotten from sierra nevada and I'm not a fan of there flagship apa either. The best way I could describe this brew is imagine an ideal coors. The color was pale yellow. The smell reminded me of olive oil and the taste was rice cake like blandness. The mouth feel was slick and oily. I could not drink more then one of these. Drinking it ice cold out of the bottle only barely made it drinkable.

05-14-2009 01:34:18 | More by hdofu
tai4ji2x

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

12oz bottle. 2009 release. tasted in early may 2009.

pale straw color. clear with faint chill haze. 1-finger head, fades to wisps and ring. lacing is sparse, thin, and rarely sticks.

aroma: faint malt, hint of esters? slightest hint of hop? wtf? there's almost nothing here!

taste: again, weak malt, faintly bready, but watered down. light esters mingle with fusel or phenol or even diacetyl hint. meanwhile the hops are crisp and boldly bitter, but are totally lacking in flavor - unlike how good saaz or noble hops should be.

light body, with very fizzy, prickly carbonation. resins in the finish, but of no help.

c'mon guys! what happened? i tried two bottles of this from the sixer, and i had to go back and return it. i might as well have been drinking soda water...

07-12-2009 12:47:21 | More by tai4ji2x
boatshoes

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on tap when I was up at the Jersey shore staying courtesy of a friend in a nice condo in Margate. Beer accompanied a nice coconut porkchop with dinner.

Appearance- Can't say this beer came out from the bar looking very attractive, but it isn't completely its own fault either. No head whatsoever with just a small ring around the edge off a lousy pour by bartender. The beer itself is a pale straw yellow and combined with the nonexistent head, this beer came out looking like any other macro.

Smell- Very little going on here for me with just a faint bit of graininess and hay coming through in the nose. Perhaps a mild whiff of citrusy hops in the background as well, but nothing really coming through very strongly here.

Taste- Have to say that I wasn't terribly impressed here right off the bat. Didn't pick up much on the first couple sips, but as it warmed a bit, I detected some of the grains present in the nose along with a more prominent hop bitterness and citrus than came through in the smell. Still not overly impressed however and I'm left with the sense that I'm drinking a weak SNPA. A bit of a disappointment considering how much I've liked the other Sierra Nevada beers I've encountered.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I found this beer (out of this particular tap anyway) to be thin and poorly carbonated. I suspect that the beer would have been a bit thin anyway, but the minimal carbonation really increases its watery-ness. The watery body and lack of flavor don't make me want to drink much of this beer.

Overall, I'm not very impressed. I'd rather have one of the other many fine Sierra Nevada beers. Perhaps I should give this one another try in the bottle as I was a bit surprised.

07-24-2009 00:51:27 | More by boatshoes
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

I bought this as an experimental sixer from Hy-Vee, and I wish I had read the label first. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners to begin with, and this is an explosion of the classic pilsner taste. There's some hops and grain and that's about it. It actually seemed a bit sour. Call me a hater if you want, but this is NOT going to be in my fridge ever again.

08-06-2010 02:44:43 | More by DesMoinesMike
Naerhu

Japan

2.42/5  rDev -33.9%

What the hell is this? I was shocked by this unimaginably unexciting beer. Sure I could taste a mild yet full golden malt flavor. It was lightly wrapped in a floral hop blanket, and this was not a displeasure, but from Sierra Nevada, I expect excitment. I expect to be put in the drivers seat in motor cross. This was lame, like the Porter. If the hops were more pumped up and balanced with the chew (not really the right ward there) malt, this would be a decent beer. should I beer warned and no to stray far from their PA?

06-21-2003 01:43:44 | More by Naerhu
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev -33.9%

I am a huge fan of Sierra Nevada beers, and would certainly place them in the top 10 of my favorite breweries in the US. So I have to say I was a bit surprised by this lackluster effort. Granted, I know it's made to be a light summer thirst quencher, but this is going too far (IMO).

The beer pours a nice yellow gold orange color, but with almost no head and little or no lacing. What little head was evident disappeared completely after a few minutes. I could smell almost nothing, despite my best efforts. Perhaps there is a slight aroma of sweet malt, but not much else. On the palate this is one watery beer. There is a hint of sweet malt, with some bracing dryness from the hops. This beer is not very crisp or refreshing, but on the other hand is certainly very light and drinkable. There is almost no finish, and mid way through my 10 oz. glass I just gave up. If I'm going to drink something with this kind of calorie intake I want it to be something with a bit more flavor.

Very disappointing effort from SN. Calling this a summer beer is no excuse for making something this flavorless.

05-03-2007 13:17:25 | More by johnmichaelsen
mrasskicktastic

2.45/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pale urine yellow with about three fingers of off white head. A bit of lacing clings to the side after the head disappears, which takes about three minutes.

S - This is like shoving your nose in a bud light. A little grassy with some sweet corn.

T - Foretaste has a grassy kick with some lightly sweet light bodied malt. The aftertaste is sort of grassy and lighty bitter. The bitterness lingers for a while.

M - Thin, watery, lightly refreshing. A few moments after drinking, my mouth goes dry though.

D - Nothing special here. I could drink again, I'd rather not though. It is basically an above above macro lager mixed with a pils. Not my thing.

05-29-2006 23:34:11 | More by mrasskicktastic
gmfessen

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-yellow color, with a thin bubbly head. The smell is rather non-distinct like most pilsners, but there is hints of pale malts and a slight hoppiness to it. The taste is rather bitter, only a slight graininess otherwise, could be much better balanced and overall not that enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a bubbly carbonation comprised of many fine bubbles. Drinkability suffers due to the fact that this beer just doesn't taste very good. All around "average" describes this beer at best.

09-08-2007 22:19:07 | More by gmfessen
GPF

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

I read a bunch of the reveiws here and I feel like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes" wondering why this is one of the worst tasting lagers I've had in a long time but everyone else is singing it's praises. I love good lagers and I drink a lot of them and I always like to try new ones. I picked a couple bottles up at Trader Joe's because you can purchase by the bottle there and I figured I'd give it a go. I had to literally choke the beer down. A good lager should not be bitter like an ale and give a bad after taste. It should go down smoothe and have a pleasant aftertaste to the pallette. This did neither, it was very hoppy and more characteristics of a Pale Ale.

I really like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and it is my go to beer when I want something with a little bite and bitterness. I think they should stick with what they know how to brew and stay away from doing a Lager in the future. I am still perplexed though at what so many people find appealing about this lager.

06-02-2013 01:21:56 | More by GPF
Rosanne

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

much like a Carlton draft but smoother

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

06-14-2013 07:48:20 | More by Rosanne
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz short bottle into standard pint. fridge temp.

A: pale apple juice colored VERY clear. Tiny thin white bubbles made a "head" that disappeared right away. The it was like watching lemon lime soda fizz up in a glass. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming to the top and disappearing into nothingness. No ring to speak of.

S: Bit of pale malt on the nose and faint hops. Smells a little astringent (but that seems to be common among cezch pils). Smells a little sweet. Pretty lackluster here too.

T: The malt backbone of this one is pretty noticeable, surprising since it the smell of it was only enough to say "this is beer, it is made with malted barley" which is something even poor quality macro's can say to an extent. After the bit of dank malt flavor passes it becomes a tad metallic before the hops really shines. No real bitterness but an alright hop presence. I expect some hops from something calling itself a pilsner. A little floral, like dandelions. The end of the drink is so far the best part but not redeeming.

M: As it should be; thin, light, and crisp. The carbonation is soda like, you can feel it give a little bite on the tongue. Refreshing to drink.

O: Not impressed with this, it is refreshing though. It delivers on the promise printed on the label "crisp summer lager." Good thing the label doesn't say "outstanding pilsner flavor, like you have never seen before!" because then it would be lying. It tastes fine but isn't anything special. Easily sessionable and if I went to a friends house and they offered me one I wouldn't turn it down.

07-16-2012 03:55:32 | More by N3rdM3t4l
JayTheFinn

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

There's very few lager beers that I like. While this isn't the worst by far, I wasn't all that impressed.

Pale gold body with a 1 finger white head. Smells like corn mostly. Not very pleasant. Corn, hops and grassiness is all I taste. But overall, the flavor is better than most standard lagers. Highly carbonated to the point where it interfered with my enjoyment. I don't like belching a lot. Slightly below average drinkability for me, again cuz I'm not a big fan of the style. But I can see other's digging this one, especially at a summer bbq with some chicken wings...mmm.

07-12-2006 01:27:15 | More by JayTheFinn
robocrouch

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Poured into my pint glass from the bottle. A clear golden color with almost no head and plenty of carbonation bubbles.

S: Really no smell to be smelled has a very macro feel to it.

T: Very grainy and watery. The body is so light that it tastes so much like a macro that I kept looking at my bottle to make sure I was drinking a Sierra Nevada beer. Almost no flavor.

D: Overall this is the worst Sierra Nevada beer that I have had and was shocked, honestly at how low quality this is.

06-22-2007 04:43:31 | More by robocrouch
JackStraw22

2.58/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2005 vintage

Appearance: Crystal clear golden body, nice crisp white head that stuck around. Lots of bubbles up to the top. Good lacing too.

Smell: Very earthy and herbal hops, crisp and refreshing aroma. A little one dimensional, though.

Taste: One of the only lagers I've had that's a real hop assult. In my opinion, it doesn't work. It reminds me a lot of tonic water unfortunately. Very dry too, not refreshing.

It was off to a good start with it's appearance and aroma, but didn't quite hold up. Oh well.

06-03-2005 00:03:34 | More by JackStraw22
chicagobill13

2.58/5  rDev -29.5%

I love Sierra nevada Beers but this one kind of disappoint me. A nice crisp clear lager. Nice session beer. Barely any head. Perfect on a hot summer day. I believe this beer would grow on me but I remember having this beer last year and loving it. I am thinking they change it every year. Is this true?

07-02-2011 01:09:53 | More by chicagobill13
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Clear, golden yellow, fluffy white head, some retention & lace.

S: Acidic, soapy/floral hops.

T: Slightly sweet, slight soapy/floral hop flavour. Needs some more bready maltyness and bitterness. It's just too light for a Pils.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: Approachable & quite quaffable, but it doesn't bring me back for more.

08-13-2006 19:16:22 | More by Derek
hero27

2008 Vintage
12 oz bottle

Pours a bright yellow color with a surprisingly frothy head of white foam.
Very faint grainy corn-husk aroma..other than that, nothing in the nose at all.
Light bodied with a pale malt flavor up-front and a dash of grassy, floral hops..some light lemon zest as well.
Overall, this is a very light, clean, drinkable beer that is a bit rough-around-the-edges. The flavor is lackluster and honestly rather bland with no standout qualities. It would be alright on a hot summer day to quench your thirst, but probably not one I'd choose to re-visit.

06-16-2008 03:07:12 | More by hero27
tjwarren

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from bottle to a pint glass after trying it out of the bottle (to see if it is a worthy picnic beer.)

Pale straw color little to no head, not impressed at all.

Smell, I felt it was a little skunky. Not what I was hoping for. I kind of had Sam Admas Summer Ale on my mind and I felt this was a disappointment.

Taste, not a whole lot there. A little skunk with almost a grassy finish. Not bad for what they were going for but not really the bite I was expecting. It was crisp and clean like a summer beer, it just didn't do anything for me. Did not jump off the page at me.

Mouthfeel was somewhat absent, a little watery but if I was drinking it on a hotter day I think I would have liked it more.

If you are looking for a summer refresher, plain and simple and the little bit of skunk does not get in your way this is probably a winner.

For me as a summer beer I don't think this quite cut the mustard. I think the SA mentioned and Anchor Steam summer or Bell's Oberon would do better. In fact I would pick a Corona and lime over this. To be fair though you should try it on a hot summer day. Might improve then.

05-25-2009 19:51:21 | More by tjwarren
CampusCrew

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

A poorly done SN job. I expected so much. it wasn;t awful but not up to their standards.

appearance: golden

smell: not much there. had a pilsner distinct aroma

taste: Like a classic pilsner but with a dirty macro aftertaste

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: there's better pilsners out there. worst SN beer in the lineup

06-20-2009 16:01:18 | More by CampusCrew
whtguitarguy

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

This one was likely a little old when I got it (I have my comments in a notebook). Pours a yellowish color. Aroma was rather skunky, so I am guessing light got to it. The flavor was much like the smell. Caramel malts within the brew are a little heavy, but I have come to expect that of many micros.

12-25-2009 03:56:32 | More by whtguitarguy
Dogbrick

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

I was really not too impressed with this one. Pours a rich golden color with a medium and fizzy off-white head. Very bubbly with thin lacing. Aroma is mild hops with a pinch of citrus. Light and crisp but ultimately uninspiring in the flavor department. It tasted about a 1/2 step better than the rest of the bland Lagers out there. The finish is decent but I honestly found my interest waning way before the end of the glass.

07-28-2003 17:56:12 | More by Dogbrick
sacfly

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz twist off. $1.71/bottle (about .50 more than average local beers) 2005 on the neck band.

Pours a clear, light straw color. Thin white head of small bubbles. Smell is grassy and herbal. Light fruity notes… strange for a lager.

First taste comes with an astringent grassy flavor. Uhg. Lawn clipping aftertaste. The aftertaste is killing me. Long, lingering grass bitterness.

Hold on a minute… As the beer warms, the malt actually makes a bit of an appearance. Very odd. I still hate the aftertaste, but this has become palatable now that it has warmed up. Lager eh? If I were to drink this again, and that is a big if, I would start it chilled, but not cold. Drinking cold was a disaster, drinking cool made this an average beer.

Not sure how to score this one. For cold, go half a point lower, for cool, half a point higher.

10-04-2005 16:04:58 | More by sacfly
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.