Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,842 | Reviews: 1,529
2.64/5  rDev -27.9%

This one was likely a little old when I got it (I have my comments in a notebook). Pours a yellowish color. Aroma was rather skunky, so I am guessing light got to it. The flavor was much like the smell. Caramel malts within the brew are a little heavy, but I have come to expect that of many micros.

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not my type of beer, my brother gave it to me. I'll drink it, have had much better lagers. I'm all about hops, but I think it's the hop flavor that ruins this beer for me

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Picked up a sixer of this (2006 edition) for the Kentucky Derby last Saturday in anticipation of clinking a few bottles in victory (and financial gain). Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my horse to finish and the beer didn't impress too much either but let's give it the official taste test.
Color is golden and features a snowy cap of head that is ably supported by an armada of carbonation bubbles. Hops are evident in the nose but are overshadowed by a grainy quality in the nose that doesn't do it for me. Not real stellar so far.
Initial taste is fairly decent but astringencies and a negative bitterness take it downhill from there. The mouthfeel is watery and thin, even for a Euro lager. Decent hop tones in the aftertaste but that's about all to recommend it.
I know everyone loves Sierra Nevada but I think this is sub par at best. I won't look for this one again, especially not for nine bones plus tax and deposit for a sixer. There are many better summer beers for my cash.

2.66/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2005 vintage

Appearance: Crystal clear golden body, nice crisp white head that stuck around. Lots of bubbles up to the top. Good lacing too.

Smell: Very earthy and herbal hops, crisp and refreshing aroma. A little one dimensional, though.

Taste: One of the only lagers I've had that's a real hop assult. In my opinion, it doesn't work. It reminds me a lot of tonic water unfortunately. Very dry too, not refreshing.

It was off to a good start with it's appearance and aroma, but didn't quite hold up. Oh well.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Decent beer for me, but nothing special

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz twist off. $1.71/bottle (about .50 more than average local beers) 2005 on the neck band.

Pours a clear, light straw color. Thin white head of small bubbles. Smell is grassy and herbal. Light fruity notes… strange for a lager.

First taste comes with an astringent grassy flavor. Uhg. Lawn clipping aftertaste. The aftertaste is killing me. Long, lingering grass bitterness.

Hold on a minute… As the beer warms, the malt actually makes a bit of an appearance. Very odd. I still hate the aftertaste, but this has become palatable now that it has warmed up. Lager eh? If I were to drink this again, and that is a big if, I would start it chilled, but not cold. Drinking cold was a disaster, drinking cool made this an average beer.

Not sure how to score this one. For cold, go half a point lower, for cool, half a point higher.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

A poorly done SN job. I expected so much. it wasn;t awful but not up to their standards.

appearance: golden

smell: not much there. had a pilsner distinct aroma

taste: Like a classic pilsner but with a dirty macro aftertaste

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: there's better pilsners out there. worst SN beer in the lineup

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

I was really not too impressed with this one. Pours a rich golden color with a medium and fizzy off-white head. Very bubbly with thin lacing. Aroma is mild hops with a pinch of citrus. Light and crisp but ultimately uninspiring in the flavor department. It tasted about a 1/2 step better than the rest of the bland Lagers out there. The finish is decent but I honestly found my interest waning way before the end of the glass.

2.71/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale transparent yellow with a decent 1 1/2 finger white head.

Smell seems a bit "off". Mine may be skunked.Some light grassiness and a popcorn aroma.

Taste doesn't suit me either. I like a bitter beer, but this is bad bitter. Harsh, overpowering, out of balance.

Decent mouthfeel. Rather light and a bit drying.

The drinkability suffers here. It reminds me of a bad macro.,

Judging from the good reviews, I'm pretty certain my Summerfest must have been skunked. The beer I taste here can't hold a candle to Pilsner Urquell.

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not up to Sierra Nevada's standard.

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz bottle for $1.79. 2007 Edition.

A: Pours a pale straw yellow with about an inch of white head.

S: I usually don't like the smell of pilsners. I tend to think they smell skunked or like Eurocrap, in a corny/grassy way. This is no exception.

T: Disappointing. Overhopped that leaves an unpleasant bitterness. Finishes a little sour as well. Does have a nice little touch of sweetness to it.

M: A nice crispness, but also a little weak.

D: Would be okay on a hot day, but nothing special.

On the bottle it just says its a 'traditional lager'. Here its categorized as a pils. I think its a combo of the two, and not necessarily in a good way. I expect better from SN.

2.74/5  rDev -25.1%

It is a lot more consistent in taste than that of the bottle. You can definitely experience more of a full flavor, whereas the bottled version is a lot more mellow. I've had this beer on draft as well, and being that I am not a fan of lagers, I was also not a fan of this beer in any of its forms. I find that the taste is too bitter, as if licking a mahogany wood post. I just can't grasp the bitterness and wish that there was more to offer in terms of its flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Had it at the flying saucer in Austin for their fire sale.

Not the biggest fan, tasted like most pilsners, not much flavor in my mind. Pours clear in color, with not much head. The smell of it is not all that strong. It was carbonated about right for a pilsner, but did not impress.

If it was a warm day, and wanted something to quench my thirst, I can see grabbing one of these. Other than that, it doesnt seem to give off much flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Summerfest: a clear, golden lager. Thick head with nice lace. Light macro-lager aroma. Thin body, flat taste, little hop zest, lingering malty aftertaste. I am at a loss to understand this beer, it seems like a good macro-lager, but at its price, I’d give it a pass.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured a nice fizzy, pale yellow beer with some nice initial head, but almost no lacing. Decent malty scent and decent malty taste, although I would have classified this as a macro lager, as there was very little hop presence and there was a bit of a skunky/adjunct flavor and aroma. It went down smooth, but this is by far my least favorite SN beer to date.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Pale yellow with thin but strong head.

Light banana, light wheat.

Dry hops, breadiness. Light bitterness.

Medium carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Not an offensive beer but also fairly boring.

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

This is a very clear straw colored beer with a decent white head and a good amount of visible carbonation.
The aroma is nothing special, as it just has a bit of malt to it.
The flavor is of toasted malt with slight amounts of hops near the finish. It is similar to a macro lager, but is less sweet.
Mouth feel is light in body with ample carbonation.

2.77/5  rDev -24.3%

Clear golden with a fluffy head.

Smell is underwhelming, grainy like a bad macro.

Crisp with bready flavors and a pilsnery hop finish. Not much else going on for me. I'm not much of a fan of the style though, probably biases me downward.

Mouthfeel decent.

Not a huge pilsner fan, so this one doesn't excite me that much, and probably my least fav I've tried from SN.

2.78/5  rDev -24%

A-Clean golden yellow coloring, a finger of foam. About what you would expect from a pilsener.
S- smell not very exident, not a good sign.
T- light crisp taste that shows a no bite.
M-light taste that becomes watery the longer it stays in your mouth. A very one dimensional taste.
D- goes down as light as any beer I've had in recent memory, the best characteristic of beer.

What more can I say, the beer is fairly tasteless, and I drink beer in park for taste. If I was at a bar and it was either this or macro lagers, I'd probably take the macro lager because the price doesn't add up to the taste. Very disappointing.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Overall an average beer. Poured nicely with a light, thin frosting that disappered rather rapidly. Aroma nice, althhough. I was overwhelmed with a bit of wheat. Taste was average, for some reason I was expecting a blonde ale. Good beer to go along with a fried seafood dish. Not a sesion beer. Stick with the pale ale. I am still searching for that perfect summer ale.

Nice head and retention.

Nice clean crisp smell. straight up pale malts and hops. Don't smell a whole lot of stuff going on.

All I can say is eh for the taste The tannins are a little out of whack. It's slightly clean with a decent hop finish, but there is a slight nastiness. This beer is just eh. Bleh. Who cares?

Mouthfeel is very average, and this beer is decent to drink as there isn't much to it, but I'll pass for better pilsners.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was very let down by this on tap. I liked it much better out of the bottle. It smelled summery, for sure, with a bit of citrus and spice with a little wheat. The head was decent and a straw color in it. The hops were there but just a bit too bitter. The bite in my mouth made it not too enjoyable and I was ready for something else when I was done. A letdown for a Sierra Nevada brew.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a frothy white head. Head dissapates to almost nothing... not much lacing of the glass.

S - Light pale malt aromas mix with subtle, citrus notes and a touch of grassiness.

T - Lightly sweet pale malt mixes with some floral and citric hop qualities, leading into a fairly slick finish that leaves some a moderate aftertaste.

M - Light, clean and crisp with nice carbonation.

D - A sessionable brew that will definitely go well with summer weather. Thirst-quenching and light. Not terribly impressed with this lager especially for the price.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Piss yellow... typical light pils color, large white bubbly head

Smell: light bready yeast, water, some malt presence

Taste: A pretty tasty pilsener, but that's sort of an oxymoron. It's a great light beer, a classic czech pils, and that also means it doesn't have much flavor. But for the style, and in the right instance (hot summer day), this would be extra amazing.

Mouthfeel: Some carbonation, watery

Overall: A decent pils, but to be honest they all taste the same to me. If you want a great czech pilsener, nothing will beat a Staropramen, straight from Prague. I would buy one of those of this or any other light lager/pilsener anyday. With that said, this is a well balanced brew that I would drink after mowing the lawn.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bright yellow appearance with a subtle head that fades quickly. Slight hint of hops in the scent along with a barely noticeable spiciness. Tasted like a weak Czech Pilsener. Didn't have the hop profile I would expect from a beer of this style. Had a very light mouthfeel and was an easy drinker. I felt like I could drink several of these in one sitting and not get filled up.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.