Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager Alström Bros

bonbini26, Jan 10, 2012

pin, Sep 22, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

I read a bunch of the reveiws here and I feel like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes" wondering why this is one of the worst tasting lagers I've had in a long time but everyone else is singing it's praises. I love good lagers and I drink a lot of them and I always like to try new ones. I picked a couple bottles up at Trader Joe's because you can purchase by the bottle there and I figured I'd give it a go. I had to literally choke the beer down. A good lager should not be bitter like an ale and give a bad after taste. It should go down smoothe and have a pleasant aftertaste to the pallette. This did neither, it was very hoppy and more characteristics of a Pale Ale.

I really like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and it is my go to beer when I want something with a little bite and bitterness. I think they should stick with what they know how to brew and stay away from doing a Lager in the future. I am still perplexed though at what so many people find appealing about this lager.

GPF, Jun 02, 2013

mcewesr, May 24, 2013

alemiester, Jun 11, 2012

chris1919, Jul 06, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-yellow color, with a thin bubbly head. The smell is rather non-distinct like most pilsners, but there is hints of pale malts and a slight hoppiness to it. The taste is rather bitter, only a slight graininess otherwise, could be much better balanced and overall not that enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a bubbly carbonation comprised of many fine bubbles. Drinkability suffers due to the fact that this beer just doesn't taste very good. All around "average" describes this beer at best.

gmfessen, Sep 08, 2007

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

Nbdreher, Aug 19, 2014

mikeirv, Jun 16, 2014

Pencible, Feb 02, 2012

joesc230, May 25, 2012

Mark5252, May 15, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

much like a Carlton draft but smoother

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

Rosanne, Jun 14, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz short bottle into standard pint. fridge temp.

A: pale apple juice colored VERY clear. Tiny thin white bubbles made a "head" that disappeared right away. The it was like watching lemon lime soda fizz up in a glass. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming to the top and disappearing into nothingness. No ring to speak of.

S: Bit of pale malt on the nose and faint hops. Smells a little astringent (but that seems to be common among cezch pils). Smells a little sweet. Pretty lackluster here too.

T: The malt backbone of this one is pretty noticeable, surprising since it the smell of it was only enough to say "this is beer, it is made with malted barley" which is something even poor quality macro's can say to an extent. After the bit of dank malt flavor passes it becomes a tad metallic before the hops really shines. No real bitterness but an alright hop presence. I expect some hops from something calling itself a pilsner. A little floral, like dandelions. The end of the drink is so far the best part but not redeeming.

M: As it should be; thin, light, and crisp. The carbonation is soda like, you can feel it give a little bite on the tongue. Refreshing to drink.

O: Not impressed with this, it is refreshing though. It delivers on the promise printed on the label "crisp summer lager." Good thing the label doesn't say "outstanding pilsner flavor, like you have never seen before!" because then it would be lying. It tastes fine but isn't anything special. Easily sessionable and if I went to a friends house and they offered me one I wouldn't turn it down.

N3rdM3t4l, Jul 16, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

There's very few lager beers that I like. While this isn't the worst by far, I wasn't all that impressed.

Pale gold body with a 1 finger white head. Smells like corn mostly. Not very pleasant. Corn, hops and grassiness is all I taste. But overall, the flavor is better than most standard lagers. Highly carbonated to the point where it interfered with my enjoyment. I don't like belching a lot. Slightly below average drinkability for me, again cuz I'm not a big fan of the style. But I can see other's digging this one, especially at a summer bbq with some chicken wings...mmm.

JayTheFinn, Jul 12, 2006
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.