Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (2007-2009) - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (2007-2009)Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (2007-2009)

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 06-29-2007

Brewed to celebrate 27 years of the pioneering of the craft beer movement, this beer is an American Style IPA with a distinct Sierra Nevada twist; a generous amount of Cascade hops to produce a big fragrant pine and citrus hop aroma, which is balanced by the sweetness of two row pale and caramel malt, and finished with additional Cascade dry-hopping for good measure. Anniversary Ale is a medium-bodied, well-hopped ale that finishes with a slight malt sweetness. Released August 2007, 2008, and 2009; same beer.
Reviews: 926 | Hads: 1,020

In the beginning, there was Sierra Nevada.

Not really, but it sounds good. SNPA *was* one of my first collegiate beer joys, though, and the first truly outstanding American Pale Ale I can remember by name, date, and label design. A proto-benchmark for me on my beer journeys.

Fast-forward to the Great Smokies Brewgrass Festival, 2009. Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale lures me in, and knocks me on my arse.
Mary Poppins was "practically perfect in every way." Unlike Mary Poppins, this beer is "Completely perfect in every way." Jeezus.

To simply call it the IPA rendition of the flagship Pale Ale is to not do it full justice: I think I've just found another benchmark, once again courtesy of our good friends at Sierra Nevada.

I was perusing Harris Teeter and was shocked and overjoyed to spy a few six packs on the shelf. Rushed home, poured one into my pint glass and enjoyed it on a beautiful fall like evening.

A- light copper, with a creamy two finger head and intricate lacing

S- pine and citrus, maybe a little spice, like nutmeg, or cinnamon

T- Crisp pine hop hit, smooths to citrus orange/grapefruit, finishes clean. The hops aren't overpowering, but definitely assertive.

M- Medium bodied, but leaves the mouth feeling clean.

D- A perfect offering from Sierra Nevada. I'm nuts for Torpedo, and this one is right there with it, perhaps a bit smoother drinking with a better nose. I like my IPAs boldly hopped, citrusy, crisp, and fresh on the palate, and this has that- none of that doughy maltiness that makes so many American IPAs hard to finish as they warm up. This will be my go to brew as long as I can find it.

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

I love this beer. I can't imagine why it hasn't gotten better reviews this year. I have been getting as many of the insanely cheap 12-packs as i can get my hands on. Too bad it's about to be gone; but it will still be around for a while at my place! I almost bought a keg. That's how much i love it.

A- Looks like i once imagined an IPA should look--deep golden pale, with a nice clean white head that gets pretty rocky and has decent lacing. Not as red/amber as many big IPAs, and that's fine with me.

S- Cascade hops with a touch of malted breadiness, just enough to support the hops, but the hops are the focus. Often as i sip it, i feel like i am smelling the most wonderful flower, not unlike smelling a fresh lemon blossom, although not quite as intense. Delectable.

T- The carbonation takes the bitterness right into your tongue on entry into the palate, with mild pale and slight caramel malt flavors coming next. The finish is all cascade all the time, tastes like a lemon and a grapefruit were squeezed into the beer. The taste lingers for quite qa long time after the sip, making you want to crack another if you have just finished the glass.

M- Super fizzy. The carbonation is very high, but it goes very well with the cascade hops, it's almost like the sprite of IPAs.

D- waaay to drinkable. 5.9% is blessedly reasonable for an IPA. I tend to want to keep drinking them all night, even when i am about to go to bed. A good thing? Technically, yes, but for my liver, maybe not.

I drink many of the best IPAs on tap every week (Sculpin, Alesmith, Green Flash, Cali-Belgique etc) and i still find my mind wandering during the day to the amazing smell, flavor and mouthfeel of SN Anniversary Ale. It's the best bottled IPA I've had, and i will seek it out until i am sure there is no more left in the city, and i will reluctantly move on to 12 packs of Celebration. Tough life!

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

The appearance as most of the SN brews, I think is down right gorgeous. We all know what they look like.

Now to the important things. After drinking these Sierra Nevada brews for over 15 years this one really holds true to what they are all about. A great IPA that is put together extremely well. I put the Celebration Ale on a pedestal with the gold and the rest of the SN brews all share silver and bronze medals.

The Anniversary Ale holds tight with the Silver. If you really like IPA's this is another great one from Sierra Nevada.

4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

This is a very drinkable beer. It has just the right amount of hops, a great color, and a nice crispy aftertast. To me, it resembles sort of a milder Dogfish head 60 minute IPA. I truly loved it, and was very surprised that a major brewer like Sierra Nevada put out such a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

I love Cascades. This beer is a Cascade orgy!

Pours out copper color with a nice frothy head. Nicely carbonated. Pine and citrus hop aromas. Friggin' awesome.

A bit stronger taste that their flagship Pale Ale, but not quite as strong as the Celebration Ale. Sticky sweetness, bitter, lingering hops lead into a nice, dry finish. Highly drinkable. Very well balanced.

I think I can safely say this is EXACTLY what I look for in an IPA. Easily one of the best examples of the style I've tried.

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz. bottle as pictured.

A: Semi-cloudy, bright copper/amber color with a nice two finger head and heavy lacing

S: Mild hop over a pine and citrus scent with some semi-sweet spice like nutmeg, or cinnamon in the background.

T&M: Smooth pine hop flavor. Mild sweet, citrus taste that fades very slowly. Finishes clean and dry. Medium bodied with a great complex and well-balanced taste.

A perfect offering from Sierra Nevada. I always love their Pale Ale as a nice hoppy standard that I fall back on but this tops it by a mile. Its smoothness gives Stone IPA a run for the money. Unfortunately, I believe Sierra changes their Anniversary recipe each year. Maybe some pressure and e-mails to the brewer can persuade them to make this a 'regular'!!

4.87/5  rDev +22.7%

one of my all time favorites back again for 2008, let's see how it compares to last year.

A- clear tawny copper amber with a dirty ivory sticky head and beautiful lace. beautiful like my grandma made it. magnificent retention, i don't think it will ever go away. deeply pitted craters form and refill.

S- tart piney grapefruit aroma, this smells very familiar. ohhhh god boner smells like reefer. smells even better than last year. dry toasted bread and wholesome toasted barley, pine sap, string rosin and even more icky sticky grapefruit. an incredibly well balanced aroma, leaning on the hop side exactly as far as i think it should... 75%

T- crisp and dry, earthy pine/grapefruit cascade hops and toasted malt play back and forth with a mild sweetness and perfect level of bitterness in my opinion. an ipa to judge all others by. woodsy tobacco and earthy soil and stone play the back with a lingering citrus pine finish. everything is so brilliant that i don't care to find silly subtleties, i have intense flavorful cascades and perfectly toasted malt and that's all that i need right now.

MF- outstanding feel, slightly resinous, medium body and medium carbonation leave a clean feel on the palate despite the lingering toasty pine/grapefruit flavor.

D- one of the best, went very nicely with the rosemary ginger pepper spiciness of winking lizard cleveland's cajun wings.

**this review edit has been a mixture of on-tap and bottle, both equally excellent, i just wish i had some more cajun wings! i have rosemary, i have hot sauce... i need ginger and chicken... who wants to take me to giant eagle!?!

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

I was quite excited when I saw an anniversary beer from Sierra Nevada, one of my all time favorite breweries. And I was not disappointed at all! This is one of the most perfectly balanced beers I've ever had. It starts with the familiar dark copper color and fluffy white head that can be found on their Pale Ale. The smell was full of citrus, pine and grapefruit with a hint of caramel maltiness in the background. The flavor was outstanding with a nice mellow sweetness in the front, then the good ol' cascades hit you and you get a great hoppy rush, and then aided by the perfect carbonation and not-too-thick mouthfeel, the beer ends nice and dry and you cant wait for the next sip. Highly recommended!

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Eye: One of the best brews I've seen in a while. Crystal clear copper with golden yellow highlights and a lively look about it....what more can you ask for. The head has great retention, great formation, and excellent lacing as well. The color of the head is white and it is rockier as opposed to creamier.

Nose: Big hop aroma, cascade. Citrusy, floral and spicy. Smells like someone just opened a bag of cascade hops ready to be poured into the boiling wort. Excellent aroma, good malt backbone as well. Right on for and American IPA.

Tongue: Floral hops right up front that last the entire time that the brew is in the mouth. Near the end sweet malty flavors come in to balance it out. Some spicy notes from the hops as well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The only aspect of this brew that I'm not satisfied with is the slick oily feeling that is left on the tongue once the beer is swallowed. The brew has a medium body and carbonation is just right. It drinks easily, this is a brew that I'd definitely buy again, however since its a limited edition I won't be able to come back to it when ever I want to...that sucks. This is a great brew from Sierra Nevada, one of their best in my opinion.

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

only $12.49 / 12 pack at my local store. suprising given that sierra nevada has been steadily climbing up to 14.99 and 15.99.

Poured from 12oz bottle. copper / brown color with small head and good lacing. smells like fresh hops and maybe lemon. the taste is exceptionally fresh with hops up front balanced with malt and a hoppy/pine/dry aftertaste that is quite pleasant. This is an extremely drinkable beer -- a home run from sierra nevada!

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Of course reading the label you know that this beer is loaded with Cascade hops...and when it hits the palate up and down and around, you understand that this is definitely the case.

This needs to be a regular of SN...Lacing hangs on the glass, Cascade grapefruits smack you in the face, hangs in between SNPA and a proper IPA.

Great session ale.

4.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from bottle to glass....

A-Deep golden brown and amber. Laces intermittently as I drain the glass.

S-Fresh hop smell. Aromas of evergreen and citrus tickle my nose.

T/M-A smooth taste of fresh hops and malt hits me first. The malt plays second fiddle, but provides a good balance. The finish is all hops. A good blast of evergreen sends the beer on its way. The carbonation gives the body of the beer a tingly feeling and helps give the beer the characteristic IPA dry finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I like my beers with good hop presence and this one has it. A fine brew.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

Copper orange into a pint glass. Fluffy head with nice, sticky lacing. Pretty as an IPA/Pale ale can be.

Citrus hops! Dang, cascade-y or centennial blast in the nose. As aromatic a beer as I've had in WV. Malt is in exile somewhere.

Flavor is all hops, but in a more subtle way than the smell leads you to believe. More floral, too. Just enough malt to say "Hey, this IS a malt-based beverage after all." Smooth, clean mouthfeel, but some residual clingy-ness. Very, very (as in "watch it or a DUI may be in your future") drinkable.

All-in-all, an exceptional beer. So glad this came in at under 6% so us Mountaineers would imbibe this year.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Copper color with good head and lacing. Exactly as it should be.

S: A piney/citrus smell, very nice.

T: Excellent, grapefruit taste but very well balance with a slight pine taste...I love it. One of the better beers I have had during the summer.

M: Light and good.

D: nearly perfect for what I like, not much I would change. Very frinkabl ebeer and I would love to try this on tap.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

A great pale ale style, bordering on an IPA. The fruit flavors are very forward with ripe peaches and plums being present. The hops are there are provide a nice citrus and pine counter-balance to the ripe fruit malt character of the beer, yet they are not overpowering. One of Sierra's better offering I think. A very well integrated beer that is mellow and sessionable, and full flavored at once.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

A gloriously good beer. A great IPA interpretation. Hazy deep golden amber color with fluffy head. Aroma is fresh and herbal. A little bit of fragrant pine. Extremely well balanced. Just the right amount of malt. Lots of fruity notes, some herbs, but also very dry. And then the mouthfeel. Nice and fluffy.

I really like this beer. One of the best IPA's I've had in a long time.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Beautiful clear, medium copper body with a full finger of head that lasts the whole glass. Sheets of lacing left behind.

Piny and earthy hop aroma (I'm guessing Simcoe with just enough malt to balance.

Great hoppy flavor throughout with a nice sweet undertone. It's a touch too bitter in the finish, but that's my only complaint.

Low carbonation, moderately drying. A great feel for a bottle. The only way to make this better would be to put it on cask.

Excellent beer, I'm sad I waited so long to try it. You certainly won't regret spending the money if you're an ipa fan.

4.73/5  rDev +19.1%

Exceptional beer. Don't understand why this only has a b+ at the time of this review. Currently my favorite IPA.

Pour has a hazy orange hue. Slightly hoppy scent; not too strong. Taste strikes a great balance between citrus, flavor and hops. The flavor is slight, but fills in nicely. I also find his slightly more drinkable ( as in sessionable/lighter) than their regular PA.

Wish this became a staple year round product.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer poured a clear ruby/tan body with a off-white head.

Nose is a combination of citrus peel, caramel, ripe citrus fruits and pepper. Light touches of biscuit malt and even some grassy earth sneak through as it warms.

Taste is medium bodied and very smooth from start to finish. Lush caramel and loads of toasted malt dominate the malt base. Hops are extremely present and have a combination of earth with loads of citrus peel. Not sharp or resiny though. In your face, but well balanced. Grapefruit peel, lime peel, lemon juice, pine needles, potpourri, black pepper and some mild hints of earth and even very faint touches of charred wood or smoke. Bitterness is big and present, but never overwhelms the hop taste. Ends with a smooth hoppy finish.

This beer is everything the SN IPA isn’t. A magnificently perfect combination of SNPA and Celebration. Just slight darker and with touches more of dark malt and more big beer hop tastes, yet still completely in the realm of a session SNPA. I really hope SN puts this is full rotation, it’s their best new beer in years.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would give it 5's all around but this was a 2008 bottle which somehow hadn't been drunk yet. Excellent taste and drinkability - pity that I haven't seen the 2009 down here. But like just about everything I have ever had from Sierra Nevada, highly recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Congrats to Sierra Nevada on 27 years of brewing excellence. Pours a nice copper color with mild head retention. Aroma is mildly hoppy with the essence of Cascades present. Taste is exact as well as the Cascades really explode, leaving a nice, pleasant dryness on the the back of the tongue. A second sip confirms a biscuity flavor in the middle that transitions to the dryness. Very nice and appears to be well balanced. I'd go as far as to rate it above the standard SNIPA. I absolutely love the dryness and the usage of Cascade hops. Bravo!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This anniversary beer provides excellent texture, appearance and taste - especially if you like strong English ales. I would highly recommend this beer if you appreciate a strong flavor and amber color to your brew! It reminds me very much of a high-quality English Ale served in the finest pubs in Britain. At 5.9% ABV, it packs a little punch in the hops flavor dept. If that is what you seek then you will be satisfied with this offering. I especially enjoy a good ESB, so if that's your type of beer - this one's for you!

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

A - A pillowy three finger tan-with-orange-highlights head rises over an orange-amber brew that is 100% clear. The head shows amazing retention and leaves an enormous amount of lace on the glass. Swirling leaves thick sheets of lace on the glass that are reluctant to slide back down into the brew, and when they finally do they leave the prettiest dry sticky lace on the glass. A beautiful beer.

S - Pine and grapefruit. The label says that this is made with Cascade hops, and I'm assuming that they mean only Cascade hops because this nose is sure indicative of that cultivar. The malt profile is sweet and bready, like a croissant with a hint of butter (diacetyls). There are other more subdued fruit notes such as kiwi, some mandarine orange, and starfruit but this is all about the grapefruit! Really nicely balanced for a relatively aggressively hopped beer.

T - Big time grapefruit and pink lemonade with some dryer pine flavors coming out in the finish. Again, the hops are balanced with a sweetish croissant pastry malt backbone, and for a super piny grapefruit hop bomb it's not at all one-sided. More complex flavors show themselves mid-palate. I taste

M - Medium bodied, oily with hop residue, and super-dry on the finish. This seriously wicks the moisture from my mouth and leaves me feeling like I have "cotton mouth"...not that I know what that feels like or anything.

D - Perfect! I only bought one single bottle, and I drank it way to quickly. I couldn't help my self....this stuff is really, really good.

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

I love Sierra Nevada products and this does not disappoint. Its got a thick creamy amber head. Smells of robust hops with citris hints.
Finishes clean & crisp. Very smooth, balanced blend. Good carbonation level makes it very drinkable. Get it while you can, its one of the better seasonal beers I have had.

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (2007-2009) from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.