Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPASierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Malts: Pale and Caramel
Yeast: Top-fermenting ale yeast
Bittering hops: Pacific Halertau
Finishing hops: New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-07-2008)
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Second release, 24 oz. bottle @ $4.99 poured into pint glass.

A: Light amber or copper with an orange hue. Pours with a generous cream colored head is dense, creamy, and billowy with insane retention and lacing. Sierra Nevada's fresh hop ales are some of the most beautiful beers I've had the pleasure of seeing... and drinking.

S: Definitely a pale ale and not a highly hopped IPA. The beauty here is in the delicateness. Hints of pine and fragrant floral aromas waft gently. No harsh notes, just a fragrant APA.

T: Flowery hops that are somewhat piney. A bit of a spicy caramel balance and clean slight floral finish. Very nice pale ale. Flavors do well to balance out the relatively high ABV for an APA.

M: Medium to full body, full yet finely carbonated.

D: Very tasty stuff, pleasurable to drink a 24 oz. bottle and something I would return to. A bit spicier and stronger than a standard pale, but also forces me to savor the fresh hops flown in from NZ. It is a letdown that prices are up 25% over last year though.

vacax, May 22, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +21.7%

This may be the best Sierra Nevada I have had yet. I was just going to the liquor store in Brighton, MA to get a nice cold beer and saw this. Me being a hop-head, I was intrigued. So I bought it, brought it home, and through it in a pint glass. It poured a crisp, clear amber color with a tall, fluffy, cream-colored head. The head reduced to a nice even lace around the glass. Smells like a very clean IPA with pine and citrus notes. Very nice hop bitter taste with malty hints. This beer is very drinkable. I would love to get this in a 12 pack and session. I tend to notice the more flavorful and tasty a beer is, the less drinkable it is. Not in this case. Also being a relatively high 6.7%, the alcohol is masked very well. I am on my second 22ox bottle and lovin' it.
CHEERS!

Brewnami, May 21, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

I'll go on record right now as saying I think Sierra Nevada, one of our oldest craft breweries (at 30 years, hah!), has been doing some VERY interesting and good interpretations lately, and as such I am now buying some of pretty much everything that comes out from them; which is considerable, and pains my wallet even as it tickles my liver.

That to say, when I saw the fresh, new, 2009 version of the New Zealand hopped pale, I simply HAD to. It was great last year, this year the hops are not "wet" (fresh from vine to kettle) but rather dried and simply "very" fresh. So. Enough yip-yap, I'm pouring!

A. Wow, could this beer be any prettier? We get a huuuge, honkin' fat 4-finger tall, dense light copper head that falls fast but sticks around at 3cm for a long time... generous lacing sticks everywhere 'round my tall 22oz glass. The brew itself is a curious russet-purple, rich autumn with weird highlights... it ain't normal...

S. Classic APA at first: malt sweetness, toasted grain / sugar, yadda yadda, OK. But then you get the hops... I hate to cop out here, but it's just "foreign". Getting sour grapefruit, earth, some... grass, yeah grass, that's it... a little pine resin but it's all spicy and a little dirty. It's not intense, just good. I don't know... I like it.

T. Nothing massive, just cool, sweet malt goodness and spicy, bitter, strange hops. This really is just a basic American Pale with a weird New Zealand hop bill... but the end result is interesting, and because it's interesting, and new, and beer geeks love interesting and new, I love this. I keep trying to nail down the swirling hop flavors... they are familiar, yet not. Sort of like that time you dated that girl in high school who looked a lot like your sister. You KNEW she wasn't, but it still made things weird... and exciting. Disregard that last sentence if you live outside South Carolina. You just don't understand.

M / D. What's that? Mouthfeel / Drinkability? Oh yeah... good. Dry finish, hoppy easy bite that's a little spicy. Thin-mid mouthfeel, easy carbonation. Goes down quickly. I am going to kill this 24 ounce bottle alone, at 4pm on a Thursday. Kind of wish I had more, then I remember I have things to actually do today. Alas.

So yeah... this is a Weird Pale Ale (WPA) and one that appeals largely on its drinkability, solidness, and endlessly unusual hops. If you're a hophead, or a fan of slightly off-kilter beers, (like me) this will be right up your crooked little alley. And it's so cheap! $4 for a bomber plus. Yeah, I like it. Props to Sierra Nevada for keeping things real in Chico. -drains his glass, happily-

kkipple, May 21, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Got this yesterday from my A-B rep. Pretty excited might I add.

A- Poured into pint glass. Nice clear darker amber color with a quater inch off white head that stayed around for most of the beer. Lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- I smell a lot of malts upfront...I don't know if that was suppose to be but I got a huge malt body from this. Piney hops come through but very faintly. I don't know if this is the way it's suppose to smell but it's not what I expected for sure.

T- Unexpected suprise with this from the taste. Huge citrus hop taste with a nice malty backbone. Alcohol taste is nice and toned down but comes through more and more as the beer warms up.

M- Good crisp beer. This beer is medium mouthfeel which also coats the palate in a piney hop taste after the sip. This fades quite quickly and leaves a malty biscuty taste in the mouth. Good carbonation which leaves the beer dancing over the tounge.

D- There is something a little off here and I can't put my finger on it. I don't know what happened to the beer or if it's how it is suppose to taste. I will get another bottle and try another but if this is how it's suppose to taste I don't know if I could drink this on a regular basis.

alleykatking, May 21, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +21%

I don't often give that many 5.0 scores to a beer but this one really is something special. It has a beautiful copper colour with plenty of rising bubbles and big white head that leaves plenty of sticky lace. As soon as the glass comes within sniffing distance of the nostrils I know I'm about to get a beer of the highest order. Citrusy, piney resinous hops are there, a slightly yeasty aroma, and a touch of fresh cut grass. The malt character of this beer makes itself known in the mouth, balancing the abundant hops nicely. When the beer falls down the back of the throat there's a bitter finish but the sweet malt remains on the tongue. It doesn't get much better than this. I'm glad this is only available for a short while - you really can have too much of a good thing. Like summer, an Ashes series against the Aussies, the day the clocks go forward, Wimbledon, Friday evening, standing on Waterloo Bridge watching the sun go down, and falling in love again, it's something to look forward to.

omnigrits, May 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Split a chilled bottle of the 2009 edition with my wife; poured into a standard pint glass. Reviewed from my tasting notes. The beer is a dark copper color. It is very pretty; it has a nice color and is quite clear. There are many tiny bubbles rising up to form a modest white head. The beer has a great hop bouquet that is noticeable as soon as you lift your glass to your face. The aroma is of fresh floral hops. It has a crisp, carbonated, hoppy taste. It is very bitter. This isn't necessarily a bad trait, it just took me by surprise. There is some malty sweetness to the taste hiding behind the strong hop flavor. It has a dry finish. Overall, I think this beer might be a bit to hoppy and bitter for me to drink all night; I prefer a less strong hop presence in a session beer, but I could certainly enjoy a bottle or two in an evening. Recommended, especially to you hop heads.

ToasterChef, May 19, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

2009 bottle
A- Nice amber hue, the amber that reminds me of fall. Good head.

S- HOPS!!! Citrusy hops with a malt backbone

T- HOPS!!! Citrusy hops with a maly backbone (just like the smell!) Grapefruit hits the tongue and as it mellows in the mouth you pick up a nice malty backbone.

M- Nice hop resin/oil stickiness coats the mouth but not overdone, Good carbonation

D- A beer all hop heads will enjoy!

Another stellar offering from SN. If you like hops, if you love fresh hop flavor, this is the beer for you. You can tell the hops are fresh as soon as you smell it. And the fresh hops are really apparent when this brew hits you mouth. Its as if the randal was invented to imitate this beer! Every time SN release a fresh hop ale, it delivers, and this one delivers as usual. Bravo SN, you did it again!

rossthefireman, May 19, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Reviewed 5/11/2009 (bottle 2009):

Pours a somewhat non-transparent amber orange colored body, with a big foamy off-white head, with good lacing. Very fresh hop aroma, green smelling almost. Some citrus, and some dryness. Cirtus, maybe columbus. Some slight bitterness. Bitter taste, some citrus and lots of nuttiness, maltiness. Bitter, grapefruity taste. Drying.

jujubeast6000, May 19, 2009

A - Poured into brandy snifter created a fluffy finger-thick off-white head that leaves lacing when swirled in the glass. Carbonation is prevalent, but mild. Color comes most likely by way of all Pale Ale Malt, though others could have been used. The color is most likely a SRM 8 (Pale Amber). When pouring the final amount aggressively into the glass, a thick head formed and slowly subsided to two-finger-thick head of aromatic beauty!

S - Whole cone hops instantly hit the nose! A beautiful bouquet of hops rouses the senses, though a carmely maltiness comes through giving the beer a more earthy nose. Floral,

T - Bitter, malty and overall well balanced for a beer that is designed to highlight the fresh whole-cone hops. Bitterness still reigns supreme, though

M - Oily hop resin and bready malts wash over the palate. Mouth coating liquid washes over the palate with a warming effect. Creamy medium body!

C - Too strong to be an IPA, yet not strong enough to be a Double IPA by ABV. Personally, don't understand the classification of the beer as an APA. Seems to be a great balance between a warming American Strong Ale/Double IPA and a cooling summer-time IPA. Fits right in with the springtime launch! A great beer that keeps asking for more, though at 6.7% ABV, makes you ask if another bomber is really necessary?!?

Prost!

melagnus, May 19, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

It is exceptionally rare you'll find a beer this hoppy and floral this drinkable.

Bought in a 24 oz bottle - poured into a mug. Great head with a very hoppy nose. Grapefruit tones were present in the aroma.

Color was a lovely dark amber.

Very light mouthfeel for a whale of a taste. A very big beer for one that was so very smooth and satisfying to drink. I'd just finished mowing the grass, and it was thirst quenching in addition to be being very very tasty.

Ell, May 19, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up a 24 Oz Fat boy of this while waiting at the check out at Total wine ($3.99).
I think putting a vintage (2009 Edition) on it is un petit peu pretentious, but....
Anyway I deliberately drank it at about 45 Deg F, Hey - I'm English.
Poured into an Imperial pint glass with a little to spare. Good reddish amber colour with a fairly thin white head.
Tastes very refreshing even though it wasn't ice cold. Not as hoppy as I was expecting; the hops were there in abundance but they were very fragrant with a citrusy grapefruit tang. Enjoyable mouth feel - I just wanted to keep drinking - You can't say anything much better than that about a beer !
A very satisfying pint. I'll probably buy a few more.

ElGeordie, May 18, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 24 oz. bottle into a glass mug.

A - pours a nice chicago bears orange color with a decent white color head.

S - the hops were balanced not overwhelming. had a sweet floral hop smell to it.

T - the taste was amazing. it is sweet at first but the hops come in to give it some character.

M - this is a mild - medium bodied beer.

D - I went to the store to try another style of beer but an employee at the store convinced me to try this instead. I am sure glad that I listened I am going to buy a few more and let them age for a while to see how it changes.

TKEAnimal, May 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 24 oz bottle into a mug.

Pours an amber copper color. Rich white head. Great retention, great lacing.

Aroma is a bit subdued...mostly earthy, piney hops. The pale and caramel malt background is pretty well represented here.

The flavor begins with some faint citrus...bready malt follows, then loads of piney hops. Long, bittering finish.

Great feel. Medium body, very creamy texture. Smooth drinker.

Gyle41386, May 18, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a Portsmouth goblet. 2009 release.

A - pours a briliantly clear, bright orange copper color with a 1 inch off white head. Head lingers in the glass, eventually leaving nice lacing down the glass.

S - Spicy, floral hops...really nice.

T - Mainly spicy/earthy hops - some citrus and pine flavors come thru as well. Definitely balanced on the hop side, but there is enough malty sweetness to even things out just enough.

M - Full mouthfeel. Thick and chewy - again, really nice.

D - Really hop forward - bitterness is slightly harsh compared to some of the best pale ales and IPA's out there. Not as drinkable as some others, but still leaves you wanting another.

portia99, May 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

2009 Edition, Poured from a 24 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful clear amber, with two fingers of white head that never seems to ever subside. Good lacing. Can't really ask for anything more in a pale ale.

Smell: Mostly grassy hops, with hints of pine and some citrus. Not as strong of a smell as I would have expected, but there are a lot of subtleties to it.

Taste: Surprisingly mild. A nice, light hoppy bite to begin with, backed with bready malts. The finish is long and bitter. The flavors are all a bit muted, but the beer was still very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but just a little bit thin.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking, and a beer I enjoyed. In terms of value, it's difficult for me to say I'd choose this over SNPA, for instance, since I thought the tastes were fairly similiar. Still, an enjoyable beer.

StarlightSeraph, May 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark copper color with a slightly off white head. The head is large but not long lasting. Great lacing at the top of the glass. It smells of hops and butter with a bit of caramel. The taste is decently sweet with a bitter finish. Carbonation is perfect, but the beer is a bit thin. Solid beer.

Jablonski, May 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10oz serving on-tap at The Pit served a crisp bubbly copper with a frothy diminishing head. The aroma is a surprising balance of hops and sweet malts. The taste is loads of Earthy pine hops backed nicely by caramel malts. The beer is light, crisp and quite refreshing. Spring is the perfect time of year for a fresh hop beer, too bad nature makes go across the world to make one.

atsprings, May 17, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Pours a burnt orange/light amber color, with a brilliant white head that leaves some pretty lacing around the rim.

S: Hints of caramel, sort of a citric and floral hop scent, sorta smells watered down if that makes any sense. Not too keen on the smell of this one. Hopefully it tastes better than it smells.

T: Taste is definitely better than the nose. Very nice hop flavor, can definitely taste the NZ hops as it's not a very common flavor. A very nice bitter hop that packs a dry citric taste. An interesting flavor. Different, tasty, good but not great.

MF: Sort of a light to medium bodied beer. The acidity and carbonation dance across my tongue. Pretty good.

D: Kind of tossed around on this one, on one hand it's light enough not terribly high on alcohol content, yes it's hoppy, but the nose and different hop taste I'm not use to put this right above average for me.

Not a bad beer, I'm glad I picked it up to give it a shot, just not really my exact cup of tea (or beer as it were).

ChillMike, May 16, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

24 oz bottle from the second release. Pours clear copper with a large, off-white, meringue-like head that lasts quite a while and leaves nice lacing. Smells heavily citric, with lots of grapefruit-like hop character. Sweet overall aroma. Taste echoes this in that it's almost all sweet grapefruit, with only a mild resinous bitterness. Some biscuity malt character in the background. Light-medium body with medium-low carbonation.

philipquarles, May 16, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16%

A: Clear copper-amber body... moderate off-white head with decent retention, but little lacing...

S: Soft pine, citrus (lemony), and floral notes glaze over a strong malt body which is shining through.

T: Unlike the nose, much of the hop flavors depart and do not make themselves known to the tongue. The bitterness is there throughout... but the hop flavoring is disapointingly absent... I was surprised, and after a couple sips I thought I was served the wrong beer... had a yuengling lager like taste... passed it to my fiancee who agreed that the hops were no where to be found in the flavor profile... checked with the waitress to confirm she brought me the right beer... hell, i was still unconvinced and ordered another and watched it pour from the right tap... same thing... bland... more reminiscent of the regular pale ale than anything else

M: Light-medium body, good carbonation... slightly blurred finish

D: Its good... Don't get me wrong here... this is a decent pale ale, just was expecting a bit more from a beer with high reviews, and was perplexed by the lack of hop flavoring from a beer with "harvest fresh hop ale" in the name... oh well... i'll get my hands on a bottle and give it another shot since i like just about everything else sierra nevada has done between torpedo, harvest, chico, anniversary and celebration

callmemickey, May 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a burnt orange, nice fluffy, creamy head, shit loads of lacing. Smells of resiny grapefruit, some pine, a yeasty bready background, some orange, little alcohol. Tastes of sweet resiny citrus malt with a nice bready backbone. Fairly moderate bitterness, nice fruity finish.

A very nice pale ale, similar to SNPA but with a more resiny and hoppy characteristic bordering on an IPA. A great malty backbone counters the hoppiness producing a great beer. I also loved the New Zealand hops, something unique about them. Highly recommend.

bum732, May 15, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

[2009 - 2nd release] Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest is a clear amber ale with a huge, yellowed, off-white head that's bubbly and foamy. It exhibits outstanding retention and leaves outstanding lacing. It has a fresh, spicy hop aroma of pine and orange peel and perhaps some mint. It has a smooth medium body with a clean finish. It is well bittered and well balanced. The full hop flavor echoes the notes of the aroma. The malt is biscuity. Man, this is so good-- I love Sierra Nevada!

yesyouam, May 14, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

The 2009 edition, a stubby 24 oz. bomber.

Appearance is cloudy, illuminated orange. Massive soapy head. Clear with tiny bubbles. Looks like everything you'd want in the look of an IPA. Thick gobs of snowy lace.

The aroma is a citrusy resin hop. Perfumey and a little grassy; complex hop character. Malts are obscured, but an earthy malt appears.

The taste is hops that run the gamut from bitter to flowery, perfumey adn then a hint of citrus. Very nice and pretty refreshing.

The feel is milky and dense. Has the feel of a creamy Imperial IPA. It's a damn solid IPA. Nice-bodied and easy to slug down. No burn and very little bite.

williamherbert, May 14, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Purchased from Ledgers in Berkley.

Nice pour, crisp apple juice looking color with a small but sticky head. Super clear appearance.

Smells of apples, hops.

Fresh hoppy flavor with floral ending. Less harvest-like and more green-thumb. Roof of the mouth taste is extremely foral.

Mouthfeel is standard with a little extra oil. Most likely from the fresh "wet" hop.

Highly drinkable for the hop fiend. Not so much though for those anti rose oil folks. This does taste like an apple juice, rose water and hop mix.

I've been to New Zealand and all I saw was lots of sheep. I would love to go back with the intent of checking out the hops. With out a doubt, one of the best places on Earth.

macktbone, May 13, 2009
4.05/5  rDev 0%

2009 release

Beautiful copper tint with a full white head that Estelle Getty would be jealous of. She's perrtty....the beer that is.
Nice, if somewhat simple straightforward hop aroma. The flavor is dominated by a long dull dose of bitter hops with a subtle malt finish.
Fairly drinkable, although could be more exciting.
Overall, this beer is somewhat more tame than I was expecting. Not all that complex for a beer advertised as a "Fresh Hop Ale", which definitely keeps the focus on the bitterness. Nevertheless, the kind solid offering you would expect from Sierra Nevada.

GeezLynn, May 13, 2009
Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.