Sierra Nevada Double DeBockEl - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Double DeBockEl
No picture uploaded.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Doppelbock |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: CrellMoset on 08-09-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by motleybrew:
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

As a bock fan, there was little I could fault this beer for except that it was so high in ABV that I couldn't drink MORE of it. I had one pint, and was ready to start singing German pub songs...I was not in a German pub and I wasn't German.

There was ever so slightly a lack of clarity which is why a 4.5 instead of a 5. the thin head left lacing all the way down. The orangy apricot color was pure and told me what to expect. malty overtones were not just present, but perfect. As my mouth filled with the brew, an even balance of malt and fullness were so perfect I knew I'd found the promised land. There were hops, sure, but as little as a bock of this type needed.

I got to the end of the first pint and because I had somewhere to go i asked for a different beer...and when I was told the keg was dead on what I ordered, I was glad to have the opportunity to change my mind, and indeed took another draft of this DeBockEl. It was every bit as good the second time through, and the second tempted me to a third, for which I'd sadly run out of time.

This will rank on my list of beers: If it is offered, there is no other choice. If it could come to 7% and be as rich I would encourage it...but my guess is, if there is a fault to have "that I cannot drink enough of it" is the best one.

Suffer me this brew...as often as possible.

motleybrew, Oct 04, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Monster B's in Stamford, Conn. Poured cloudy dull tangerine, minor off white head and then stingy fine lacing. Wheat and fruit in the nose. Lots of ripe fruit, wheat malt, lemon/lime, melon notes. Alcohol in a understated mode. Moderately zesty and oddly refreshing. Nice offering from powerhouse SN

Billolick, Jan 18, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Got this on tap at Brickstore Pub.

Pours a good copper color with a one finger off-white head. Head diminishes into an even layer of bubbles, and the lacing is pretty solid.

Smells very hoppy. Floral and somewhat citrus aromas. There's a little bit of malt breadiness in there, but the hops are what really hit you.

Tastes very good. Tastes much sweeter in the beginning, with the hops in the background, but as it warms it assumes more of a DIPA taste, but sweeter. I don't really understand how Ayinger Celebrator and Samichlaus Helles are both classified as Doppelbocks, but it helps explain why this one is. The alcohol taste is noticeable in the beginning and at the end, but in between it's hard to taste.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is good and it's got a good thickness. Could be just a little smoother though.

This is a very drinkable beer. The 9.4% is hidden very nicely.

Overall I liked this a lot. It got better as I figured out the flavors, and it's certainly worth a shot if you see it around.

glid02, Aug 15, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a light caramel crystal clear body with a thin sticky head of light tan with a gentle carbonation. The head doesn't last long.

S- The smell of dry malt is soft and has a very light toast to it. The finish is a pine hops that is very slightly pungent.

T- This beer has a soft toasted dry malt note with a hint of biscuit and a big boozy finish. There is a pine hop to the finish aswell. As the beer warms there is a soft nougat note in the malt.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slight slippery/watery texture and plenty of alcohol heat.

D- This beer has some big boozy flavors in a thin malt profile. I'm not sure what style I would call this but it doesn't really have the body of a dopplebock.

rhoadsrage, Oct 14, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

The ruby-orange body supports a tight ecru capping of foam, and a few struggling bubbles of CO2 meander their way up to join it.
Sourdough aroma, bolstered with caramelized pineapples, brown sugar, sherry-like alcohol vapors, and a fairly loud hop contribution, with pine needles and dead leaves.
Bready and generally dry at its onset into the mouth. It sweetens with a toasty-sweet Munich-like maltiness, with a small nuttiness, and then ventures towards dates and caramel. It never settles in here, as the hops and alcoholic sting turn this briskly bitter, with big fallen leaf and dry pine overtones. The inhale finds some vinous heat.
Medium+ in body, with enough tiny carbonation to keep it from any kind of stickiness, but also enough to keep it from feeling as rich and brawny as it needs to be.
You'd never mistake this for a traditional doppelbock, but that doesn't seem to be the intent. The hopping is attention-grabbing, but the rest of the beer doesn't hold much intrigue.

cokes, Nov 10, 2008

Poured into a schooner. beautiful head retention. Nice lacing down the glass. Light amber in color.

Smell was subtle with sweet malty notes, rye bread. Spicy hop.

Taste first started a little sweet, gumball flavor, chili pepper. High malt content in middle, then the glorious hops come into play making for a bitter finish, but balanced by the sweet malt notes. Mouthfell was tart and astringiant.

This is a real drinkable Dbock. I must say, I was impressed by the use of hops in this brew. It isnt your typical Dbock but its a damn good one. Lets get this into bottles guys!

cannabanaceae, Oct 15, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap @ the Blind tiger

Poured a light carmel brown crystal color, with a thin head and light lacing down the glass. The amora is of dry, toasted malt, piney hops also dominate. Up front bitterness in the taste, never had that before in a doppelbock, dry malt and hints of bread, with a strong alcohol finish and pine hop. The mouthfeel is medium with a oily texture and heat from the alcohol. Not the smoothest/easiest drinking doppelbock i've had, this is definitely not your average doppelbock.

bonbini26, May 04, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Sampled on tap at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, North Carolina. Consumed on 09/20/2008 and reviewed from notes taken at the time.

Ok, now this one I was getting excited for. I had heard rumblings that it might make an appearance here, but never thought I would actually see it. Immediately went for the tent and grabbed one of these. Poured a nice medium amber with some definite dark hints roiled throughout it. A nice clarity revealed some carbonation coming up towards the surface letting me know this was anything but a dull beer. Good sized head on here, maybe a half an inch or so that clung to the sides of the glass though out the session.

The aroma was rich as hell, I had no idea Sierra Nevada was going to come out with something this nice. Rich roasted malts with a hint of alcohol just oozing with sweetness. A touch of honey maybe? All of it wrapped delicately inside a shell of a hoppy presence. The flavor though bore no hops that I could find with any certainty. This was a malty bock like beer, ridiculously smooth for over 9% and with a creaminess in the body of it that was just stellar. Rich caramel and nut like flavors rolling across the tongue and mixed with an ever present touch of sweet wheat like alcohol. Light earthy hops in the finish, just enough to offset the alcohol.

Overall I have to say I thought this one was excellent. I remember this as a stand out almost immediately and was just blown away with it. Really a very solid beer and good job to them for getting it done.

mikesgroove, Sep 24, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Interesting name for a doppelbock.

Clear golden body with a thick white head and tons of lacing.

Sweetish aromas with citrus hops in the nose. Some alcohol as well.

Flavor is sweet pale malt up front followed by a signature cascade hop bitterness.

Full bodied with light carbonation create a creamy mouthfeel. All-in-all not bad, but certainly not to style. Think hoppy American big lager.

rtratzlaff, Sep 07, 2009

Poured into a Unibroue tulip. This is a rare one from Sierra, I firmly believe that they missed the mark on this one and came up with a creative name to celebrate/embellish the mistake...kudos for that. Beer is meant to be fun without pretension and I'm glad to drink this "mistake". Aroma is of mild hops and some sweet malts. Copper color, looks more like an IPA. Certain elements of this beer are double bockish, especially as the beer warms. Tastes great, bottom line. Categorizing this one is way less important than the fact that the beer tastes great.

KickbacksSteve, Nov 02, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap 2/27/09 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, dark fruit, lager yeast and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet and malty, with flavors of caramel and dark fruit. Then a strong hops presence for the style comes in next to balance things out. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, it's a good beer overall, but even though a liked the high hoppiness for the style, there are other Doppelbocks that I would choose first.

TheManiacalOne, Mar 01, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +11.1%

Found on-tap at the brewery in August 2004.

I was amazed to see no reviews of this beer. It was one of my favorites at the brewery.

It came mid-taste session in a small sample glass. One sip had me ordering a whole pint for a proper review.

A muddy ruby, lightly laced, cara-malty masterpiece, this was one of the best beers of the trip. I felt that it fit better to style than most any other SN varieties. That characteristic bitterness only sneaks through at the very end, but this deviation was a plus for me - nice and thirst-quenching and provoking at the same time.

I'm looking into getting this installed at my house.

GreenWBush, Sep 11, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this on-tap at Tavern On The Hill in Easthampton,MA(nice beer select includes Abita, DFH,Shipyard, Cisco etc.)

Deep golden color with a nice head.

Smell is hoppy and malty, signature hoppy smell that most Sierra beers share.

Hops stand out first with pine notes and a nice malty follow up. You don't know it's a Dopple until you finish your sip.

For the 9+% Alcohol in this beer you wouldn't know it, the mouthfeel is smooth and never biting.

The drinkablity of this beer is as good as any i've drank, loved every sip.

Excellent take on the dopplebock style, if you can find this one, snack it up quick. Every sip filled me with happiness.

sloppysocks, Nov 24, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

JTomczak, Aug 13, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Light golden color with a nice white head. It smells sugary and hoppy, not really what I was expecting, but still pretty good. The flavor compliments the aroma, but also throws me off...in a good way, though. The beer is super smoothing in the mouth. It is pretty hoppy and has a nice lingering bitterness to it. This beer is way creamier than any bock I have ever tasted. Good beer.

Douglas14, Sep 15, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Draft arrives sporting a clear dark copper-amber body with a thin cap of light ecru foam. The head recedes to a ring and leaves a few swatches of lacing on the glass.

The smell is rich and sweet, with tons of clean caramel, wheat toast, brown sugar and sticky toffee.

The taste follows the nose, adding in multiple layers of sweet and chewy malts and a bit of ripe fruit. A rich, bready syrupiness is dried a bit by an earthy hop finish with just a touch of citrus sting. The drink reveals a bit of alcohol flavor as it warms, but in more of a fruity way than a boozy one.

The drink is silky-smooth and full-bodied with okay drinkability given the sticky sweetness throughout. Double DeBockEl is nonetheless a very interesting beer unlike anything I've had from Sierra Nevada previously.

cvstrickland, Oct 07, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

On tap at plan B in the bary - served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Brass body with orangy tints. Small white head possibly because of a bad pour.

Smell: Grains, Malts, and HOPS! Smells like an IPA.

Taste: Malty undertones with nice hoppy high notes. A slight bitterness arises from the hops in the finish. The alchohol shines through on this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and body with a bit of a kick to it.

Drinkability: I took a while to finish this one -Drinkable but strong and slightly bitter.

DNICE555, Apr 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a growler off the fill station at Green's in Columbia. Wasn't planning on drinking this for my birthday but these things happen. Thanks Kasey!

Pours a very non-doppelbockish autumn leaf orange. Mostly clear, a few timid bubbles make their way to the surface in a vain attempt to prop up the light toasty head. It pretty much looks like a dark DIPA, but that's ok... There is some lace as I dig into this glass, and subsequently, the growler.

Hm, doesn't smell much like a doppelB, either. Sweet malts akin to a Marzen are here, but there's a big American hop note of citrus... and sappy, bitter cones that, while delicious, are quite far from the style. A little too clean... could use some more nuance. But that's ok too. Overall, Debockel smells good, a little reserved and with just a smack of alcohol... is this really 9.4%? Hmm....

Double DebockEl is mis-named. There, I said it. This ain't no doppelbock. In fact, I'd be shocked if it were a lager. This is a malty, hoppy brew that is pretty much a double IPA with some curious malt character going on. Big in-your-face hops with a nice balance of pine-citrus and more than a little malt caramel sweetness make this one of the most aggressive Sierra Nevada brews I've had. A fine malty-sweet, overhopped brew that belies its booze content. Quite drinkable and tasty.

Mouthfeel is fine, decently carbonated. Finish is dry hop bitters and sweet toasty grain sweetness, but mostly bitter.

As I'm on my fourth glass of this stuff, I rate the drinkability accordingly.

Sierra Nevada Double DeBockEl is *not* a doppelbock. It's just not. But it's good beer. So that's ok.

Recommended. Not at all sure why they released this as a Doppelbock. I don't know what exactly this is supposed to be, but it's Good Beer (tm).

kkipple, Oct 09, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -16.7%

I picked up a growler of this for this past weekend. Very interesting as I think this is the first offering of this brew, at least the first time I have seen it. The brew poured to a nice amber brown color with a thick off white head that had fair retention and did leave a little lacing. The aroma was unexpectedly more hoppy than I would have envisioned, while that aroma was nice I think it somewhat distorted what this beer should have been. I also pick up a nice malt aroma, slight roast and caramel, but for me it seems to take a back seat. Also present is an alcohol aroma that at first I liked but as it warmed got a little to boozy for me both in the nose and in the flavor. The aroma was similar to the nose where the hop flavor was quite intense based upon the style. The malt flavors where there, again for me they took a back seat and as the brew warmed the alcohol flavors just got to be a little to much. Overall, I did enjoy this brew but don't feel that it is in the style, I could be wrong, but would have anticipated much more of a malt base.

Stimack, Apr 06, 2009

Tried this a Taco Mac in Kennesaw tonight: one pint, on tap.

Pours a golden/copper color, mostly clear. Not much head.

Smell is mostly of hops, little bit of sweet malts.

Taste is different than I expected. There's more hoppiness than I expected from a doppelbock. But it does have the familiar sweet malty richness of a doppelbock. Caramel and brown sugar are there. Alcohol is quite noticeable too. I didn't mind, but for my wife, who loves other Doppels, it was too much. I didn't have a problem with it though.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability is good. It's a sipper due to the hoppiness and pronounced alcohol presence, but very enjoyable.

Overall, a good brew and worth a try if you have the opportunity.

Deus1138, Oct 23, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a transluscent copper-brown color with some all right initial head and almost no lacing. It has a very nice, deep scent, very malty and slightly earthy, but very full, and you get a large nose full with every drink. It has a great taste, very malty and sweet with caramel finishes and slightly ester touches. It's a very smooth double bock, it goes down very well for an over 9% beer. Another score from Sierra Neveda.

(Had on tap at Sonka's Irish Bar, Terre Haute, IN)

JamesS, Oct 02, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap served in a pilsner glass.
Golden/copper color with small head that dissipates quickly.
Nice hoppy smell.
The hops stand out with the first sip. I was surprised by the hoppiness over the malty taste. There is malt in the background that makes you remember that it is a doppelbock.
A high gravity beer, but I did not notice the alcohol level.
Smooth drink with nice light effervescent mouthfeel.
I feel this is good overall beer and a nice change from other traditional dopplebocks.

summerlightning, Nov 07, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Amber orange color, mostly clear, with a nice centimeter thick head of medium sized bubbles that stick hard and last for a while.

The head certainly didn't mask the aroma much - tons of hops, some spicing, and brown sugar.

The flavor is exquisitely complex and unique. Great presence of caramelized sugary malts, a nice nod to the style. Tons of hops, including an herbal component, some citrics, and a really inviting floral sweetness. Great balance overall for a beer; for a doppelbock there are a ton of hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, nice and full. Awesome. Finish is similarly excellent, spraying the floral, spicy characters all over the mouth and barely leaving room to appreciate the prick of alcohol. Outstanding in all respects.

BretSikkink, Sep 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this on tap at The Brick Store Pub. Pour amber with a fairly fine white head and very nice lacing. Smells very light with some slightly sour graininess and some firm malt. The taste is rich and malty and quite good with some earthy hops at the finish. Its a little sweet with some fruitiness that is balanced by a nice dry spiciness. his does not at all seem like it is as strong as its abv. The mouthfeel is a bit spicy and quite dry despite all the malt. Very nice, I'd have several if it weren't so strong.

Georgiabeer, Dec 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clear ruby hued amber with no head in this tulip. And really. Who needs it? More room for beer. Nose is malty sweet. Flavor brings the same malty sweetness. I'm not getting a lot of complexities, but it's smooth and tasty. And I'm feeling even more buzzed than before, which is good right now. The high abv isn't noticeable at all. Hmmm. Think I just got some apples on there. I like. Very smooth flavor profile. Feel is thick and a bit sticky. Carbonation is lower but still has a bit of a bite to it. This is deadly drinkable. You'd get easily suckered into many many of these and you'd feel it the next morning.

RblWthACoz, Aug 30, 2008
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Sierra Nevada Double DeBockEl from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.