Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp) - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp)Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp)

rAvg: 4
pDev: 11%
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Weizenbock |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: rayjay on 01-01-2009)

jaydoc, Jan 23, 2014

WOLFGANG, Jan 20, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance- Received with a bunch of head which is bulging from the pint glass and looks to have really good retention. The head is a light beige while the body is a dark brown which shows as a light dark brown with a hazy yellowish brown base when held up to the light. The retention is quite persistent. The lacing is practically sheeting with rings of lighter sheeting.

Nose- Initially, I get lots of banana. The cloves are faint and I hope that continues on the palate. Very warm and well rounded banana. Light apple notes start to come out.

Taste- It does appear that the palate is pretty reflective of the nose. The banana is pervasive and pretty much takes up the entire flavor profile. There are some cloves but they act as more of a counterpoint. Light bubblegum to caramel to oddly compatible popcorn taste. This is mostly on the finish. I haven't had a lot of Wiezenbocks but if they are like this one, I will be trying more. I've had the top two on Beer Advocate and I will definitely be searching out more, especially Ayinger's. I was skeptical about the rating of 4 on Beer Advocate and attributed it to Sierra Nevada love but this beer is pretty much that good. Some coriander and cinnamon with light pepper on the finish gives this a little bit more character. I'm fine with a beer being mostly dominated by banana but I need a little something extra to keep me drinking. This beer has that. Very light and easy. A good to really good beer that I wish was in bottles. Definitely a step up from some of the phenolic beers that I've had recently. Some grain and wheat but nice and complex phenols make these hard to discern.

Mouthfeel- Just below medium bodied with light to appropriate carbonation. Some smoothness and creaminess. Really shows that Sierra Nevada has gotten this style down.

Drinkability- Very easygoing especially since the cloves are a minor note which contribute to the overall complexity of the beer. I imagine it's standard Sierra Beer Camp prices but even 6 bucks a pint seems reasonable. Alcohol doesn't show at all.

Overall- Good to really good beer which seems to be fairly representative of the style. It's been a while since I've had comparable beers but I seem to recall this is one of the German ale styles that I prefer. Definitely worth a try and a beer I wish to drink again.

artoolemomo, Jan 12, 2014

blknikon, May 08, 2013

t0rin0, Jan 20, 2013

sendbeer, Dec 15, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

I'm a sucker for a cool wheat brew on a hot summer day and this fit the bill nicely, Labor Day 2011
I only wish it was deemed worthy of further production,' cause I'd buy it regularly.

Pours out cloudy and thick, straw-yellow, with a foamy heady that doesn't last long. A little swirl halfway through helps open it up

Creamy banana shake mouth feel. Yummy with a hint of clove.
Perfect for the style

Dear SNBC, Please make more!

heymikew, Sep 04, 2012

JimmytheSaintPSU, Aug 21, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

A hazy golden color, with a large dirty white head, which is quickly gone. Appears highly effervescent, with many streams of bubbles moving up the beer.

Smells of the wheat, yeasty, bready malts, and lightly fruity.

Taste is a bit sweet malty. Tangy fruitiness lingers.

Texture is medium bodied, almost viscous, yet bubbly as well. Not high on my drinkability scale.

It's alright, a bit sweet, but I can handle that.

DOA

Drinkerofales, Aug 14, 2012

CM31, Aug 06, 2012
4/5  rDev 0%

Oooh a weizenbock. I think back to the last time I had a weizenbock, and I keep thinking back...and think back some more. And can't remember the last time I had one. This one works pretty well. But what the hell is in this? A lemon peel or something? Either way, the beer is solid. Hard style to pull off well, but it happens here. I can dig it.

RblWthACoz, Aug 05, 2012

asafarc2, Jul 24, 2012

jnoelani, Jul 17, 2012
Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp) from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.