Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,321 | Hads: 3,778

An all encompassing beer. If you like hefeweizen type beers, you are really going to enjoy this version! The fruit undertones are very subtle and balanced just right with the spice and other flavors coming from this beer. If you could not tell all ready this is my favorite beer that I just discovered in my final year of graduate school, way too late by my standards. The mouthfeel has a light creaminess to it, without being too heavy. (437 characters)

Not gonna waste your time with the flavors and ingredients....the bottle does a fine job of letting you know what's what. So what is this beer? Simply put, it's to wheat beer what Sour Diesel is to glaucoma medication...THE DANKEST BATCH!! Can't say enough about the quality of this hefeweizen. It's like drinking pure sunshine. (328 characters)

A - Poured into a pint glass with a lemon on the side(I like a slice of lemon in my wheat beers... I don't care if its blasphemy). Poured according to the instructions on the bottle. Formed a two finger head which doesn't look like it's going away any time soon. Golden yellow and cloudy just the way I like my hefeweizen.

A - Citrus and fruit dominate the first sniff. As the head subsides the smell of banana comes through. Smells yeasty and wheaty.

F - The banana taste is fantastic. I tried a banana bread beer once but this is on a whole different level. I can taste small traces of the spicy clove as it suggested on the bottle. I cannot detect the yeast in the taste.

M - Light-Medium Body and you can tell its got yeast in it from the feel of it. The carbonation is medium and works well. Great feel for a hefeweizen.

O - This just became one of my favorite beers. 5s across the board. That lemon is going nowhere near this spectacular beer. (954 characters)

All I can say is wow, this is the best american made store purchased beer I have ever had. I have stayed clear of anything Sierra Nevada because their IPA is one of my least favorite beers.

After reading the reviews on this one I thought why not, it sounds really good. Really good is a huge understatement. This is the best American hefeweizen I have ever had. I want to apologize to Sierra Nevada for writing you off after only having your IPA.

This beer looks amazing in the glass.
-One important tip is to really swirl around the last 1/3rd or less before you finish pouring into the glass to get all the remnants in the bottom of the bottle. The first one I poured I missed a good amount of flavor because I did not get everything out of the bottom.

-This beer has more sedimentary yeast in the bottom than most beers and I highly recommend a proper hefeweizen glass and getting all the yeast out of the bottom of the bottle.

The taste of this beer is not strong, not weak, it is just perfect. Or as close to perfection of any american bottled beer I have ever had.

The finish to this beer is very clean and refreshing. I have had it room temperature, cold and in between and enjoyed it the same each way. I now choose this most of the time over my favorite German beers because it is way less expensive. Thanks Sierra Nevada for making such a good beer!

Cheers! (1,379 characters)

Shared at a homebrew club meeting. Thanks Terrence and crew.

A - Poured straw yellow, with a white 2-fingered head. Dissipates slow and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Wheat, hay-grassiness, honey, and light noble hops. There is a slightly fruity ester of possibly apricots.

T - Holy crap, it's good. I needed to take a step back after trying this. The apricot esters took over and just enhanced the wheat and honey.

M - Well-balanced, full bodied. Just excellent.

D - One word: perfect. I can't think of any advice to give SN, it's perfect for the style of beer they were going for. Maybe the only advice would be to send me more. (634 characters)

One of my favorite Hefeweizen's now.
A huge creamy head with lots of carbonation.
A wonderful weizen smell. Banana, clove, spice. Very balanced taste.
The favors come together well.
More crisp taste with a nice little bite finishing from hops. (246 characters)

I think this is a great American Hefeweizen, on par with the best of the European (Weihenstephaner, Edelweiss, Ayinger), plus it just tastes fresher to me. Great creaminess characteristic of most hefes/wittes, balance of banana and coriander, little bit of citrus. I would say this more of an attempt to master the style than bring anything new to it. I love it.

I also recommend No Limits by Two Roads and Zeppelin by Revival. (431 characters)

7/11/09, bottle>wheat glass

Drinkability/Summary = 5.0
"The best domestic Hefe I have poured down my throat to date. Somewhat of a banana bomb that goes down smooth and creamy. This was a welcomed surpise offering from Sierra, well done to the team out in Chico!"
I gave this one a 5 across the board due to it's fine rep of all categories for this style. Excellent price, and highly accessible as possibly my new go to hefe which I can find almost everywhere! Exceeded my expectations. Woot!

Appearance is a 5.0, golden cloudy honey/straw color, beautiful 3 finger head with excellent retention and lacing!
Smell is a 5.0 wiht just the right amount of banana aroma pushing it's way through some clove notes, but somehow not over done.
Taste is a 5.0, taste follows smell with some minor citrus whispers your name with a smooth creamy wheat malt backbone.
MF is a 5.0, medium body, high carbonation, smooth and creamy on palate. (934 characters)

Bottle from Fountainhead Chicago.

I think I've found my new absolute favorite hefeweizen! The color was a cloudy yellow with significant white head. The quintessential hefe appearance. Smell was of banana, hints of spice, yeast/wheat. Again, quintessential hefe.

The taste is superb! This is almost a sweet tasting beer. The fruits and spice really come out. It's smooth and goes down ridiculously easy. A great session beer.

Overall, absolutely nothing I can find wrong with this beer. It was recommended to me and I'm glad it was! CLASSIC hefe brew here...if you are a fan of the style this is a MUST try. (610 characters)

There are not many times when I give a beer a perfect score, but this one TOTALLY deserves it, my goodness. Only a couple beer have made a perfect score in my book, and this is one of them indeed.

A-Pours in my big snifer, a beautiful, luscious hazy deep yellow color with a thick and creamy white head that has outstanding retention and gorgeous lacing.

S-And the aroma is no exception. It wofts notes of clove spiced green apples. Perfect for the style. Wow is all else I can say... As it warms, some very slight hints of bannana come through too.

T-The flavor is first of sweet wheaty, yeasty goodness, which is balanced by the very noticable, but perfect amount of hop bitterness. I think I might be getting some earthy hop flavor too, but that might just be the yeast characteristics. Pretty clovy in the flavor too. Which is per style. And again some hints of bannana underneath as it warms.

M-This has a full creamy body with a dry finish... Luscious indeed.

D-I could totally drink this all day and night at a barbaque or family reunion and such. This goes down so full body, yet smooth and lighter in abv so it's extremely sessionable. Very impressed with this one from SN. Another job well done, and year round too! man... (1,240 characters)

The best tasting american Brewed Wheat Beer I have had thus far, and I am a huge wheat beer fan. This beer has a perfect cloudy appearance, and tastes great, nice and malty. You can definately identify the banana and clove taste, but in a good way, very faint bitter aftertaste. If you had ever had Palanor which is a German import beer, this beer tastes like a milder flavor of that. (384 characters)

I always reach for Hefeweizens. This American made brew is by far the tastiest I've had. I've found a new favorite. Pours Golden Blonde with a fluffy thick white head. Tastes like a Hefeweizen should taste. Tastes like banana up front with a light clove and a good wheaty taste. (278 characters)

Recently, my dad brought me a bottle of this over to share. Wow. This is my favorite hefeweizen. I keep thinking that I'll find one that I like better, but nope, this is it.

The best looking hefeweizen I've seen. Pours a brilliant golden yellow, with orange hues. Perfectly cloudy with suspended yeast. Amazing in the sunlight.

A hard pour yields a one finger head that sticks around a bit.

Smell is a nice balance of bread, banana, and a hint of clove creeping through.

Taste follows suit. Carbonation packs a light punch right off the bat. Leaves a nice sweet banana taste on the tip of the tongue, cloves in the nose, and a bready, mild bitterness on the back of the palate. There's a creamy element to the mouthfeel, which balances out the flavor.

Overall, this beer puts it all together in perfect harmony. It is, perhaps, the creaminess that yields what I find to be a perfect hefeweizen. (901 characters)

Well I'm proud to report that a US-brewery has finally brewed an incredible Hefeweizen! Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen rouses the senses and makes one think they were back in Germany smelling the fresh air under a tree in the Biergarten. Possibly, only Long Trails would maintain somewhat equivalent in the mind as an acceptable choice when looking to a US Craft Brewery to provide what the Germans have done so eloquently for so long now.

Though the Germans clearly still win out in tradition, History, Gastronomy (not sure if Sierra Nevada will actually distribute the glass they chose for the beer to the fine establishments serving it or not!) and experience (one can describe the Biergarten culture with words, though no word could ever fully explain what is!), this beer goes a long ways beyond the one-step-above notion of what a Session Beer is that they choose to label Wheat Beer here in the US! From Keller (cellar) to your palate, I hope you recognize the truly mind-blowing love and devotion that this brewery, Sierra Nevada, has gone to in bringing you this beer.

A - Heaven has arrived! Though missing the Weißwurst and Biergarten, the meringuelike frothy-white head would take several fingers to measure and even after receding, leaves legs that make the once visible head known. Finger-thick film remains atop the cloudy opaque Deep Gold (Two-row Pale, Wheat, Munich [SRM 6]) hue. Rousing the suspended yeast by swirling the glass instantly vigorates the head via high carbonic activity. Though the brandy snifter isn't ideal for sampling this beer, the design still allows for plenty of love to consume the senses!

S - Banana mixed with gum sweetens the nose, with a spicy clove-like note to finish it off. Yeast breadiness pours through, giving a darker earthy balance to the sweet spiciness on top. Phenols and esters balance nicely with no trace of Noble hops in the background.

T/M/D - Bread-like yeastiness coats the palate with a slight lingering bitterness that balances out with a creamy smooth finish. With that said, the bitterness is solely there as a balancer and is to-style. Very medium-to-full-bodied on the palate, this beer presents a fruit cocktail array of banana and bubblegum that dries out to a yeasty earthiness. At 4.8% ABV, the quick finishing of the bottle lets you know you've had one, without making operation of a motor vehicle out of the question; a Session Beer for sure! With that said, I think I'll forgo driving today and sit out under the rays of the sun, while I listen to the birds, the breeze and enjoy a few more of Gods creation!

C - The beer (brewed on the 156th day of 2009 [29 May 2009]) is cold, but not stingingly-so and provides a very refreshing element that only a warm breeze on the side of a Bavarian mountain could add to. When thinking back to the days in the Biergärten (plural for beer gardens in German!) and the beers once consumed, I can only say that Sierra Nevada has created an incredible beer that a tasting panel would be hard-pressed to find the Americanism in! Splendid job and possibly the best US-brewed Hefeweizen in existence!!!

Prost! (3,140 characters)

No shit, this beer is ridiculous.

It's as perfect a beer that I've seen on tap.

I could drink a LOT of this, and for once, wish I could.

The smell is to dream
The sight is to die
The feel is to swoon
The taste from on high
Barkeep take care
Pour her slow till she's dry

Truly a beautiful beer. On tap at HOOPS-N-HOPS in Simsbury, CT now. (341 characters)

Sierra Nevada has done well with their Hefeweizen. Anyone who has had real a German hefe knows that it's tough to get a comparable version in the States. Sierra Nevada got this one right, from the taste to the color to the cloudiness. For you hefe lovers out there, you can't miss with Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen. (324 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +22.1%

This was my first experience with what would become my love affair with Hefeweizen. An awesome example of the style & the best one made outside of Germany that I have had to date. Kudos to Sierra Nevada for the exceptional job they have done in creating it! (258 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer is fantastic. It might be one of the best hefeweizens available & is definitely worth the price. The only down side is how difficult it is to find where I go to school in southern Illinois. The banana flavor is not too potent; rather is a slight hint. The beer is sweet of course, like most hefeweizens. I highly recommend this hefeweizen. (349 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Now this is a hefe! West-coast hoppy like I've come to expect from SN, and very intriguing.
A: Cloudy gold with just a lovely couple finger head. Nice lacing is left
S: Wheat, grass, hops, clove
T: Really clovey, classic hefe wheat taste, strong banana flavor, with a little hop bite
M: Truly perfect for an unfiltered brew. Intriguing, smooth and crisp all the way
O: Absolutely satisfied, borderline blown away by this. Might be a new favorite Sierra Nevada! (460 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a cloudy yellow hue.

Smell of bananas and cloves with a slight mix of aromatic hops and spice. I'm even getting bubblegum notes. Amazing beer aroma.

Soft and sweet on the palate without a sour aftertaste that some hefeweizens give. With this beer, you get a nice and subtle bitterness on the finish. What you get on the nose you also get on the palate.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and very well textured. So complex but doesn't go overboard. Medium to heavy bodied but in a very delicate manner.

Does Sierra Nevada ever make a bad beer? My answer would be no. (572 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured out of the bottle into a glass

A. This is an exceptional Hefe. A creamy straw yellow body topped by a white foamy head approximately one finger thick.

S. Yeast aroma balanced out by light malts and cloves, slightly fruity and spicy.

T. Good balance of flavors. A light malty grain body with some banana and clove flavors. I taste no hops but I'm sure there is some in there for bitterness.

M. Creamy and silky body with very minor hints of carbonation probably due to the small bubble size.

D. Very good and refreshing beer. Smooth and clean (556 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Beautiful semi hazy deep gold with a dense but at the same time fluffy looking 1.5 finger white head. Some sediment on the bottom.

S: Bubble-gum initially that transitions into banana to wheat to cloves, and back to banana.

T: Your taste buds travel down the same transitions as your nose, but with a wonderful vanilla constant. The malt is pronounced, with spicy undertones that dissipates and returns to wheat. My only complaint is not enough acid/lemon flavor to balance the sweet banana/vanilla/bubble-gum.

M: It's creamy and the vanilla leaves a swirling warming affect. Upping the carbonation would probably cut down on this almost "warm" feeling but I don't think I would want that.

D: doesn't leave you quenched due to the creaminess and light carbonation, but I could easily spend a whole day drinking this.

Thanks Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. for this wonderful offering. (888 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

I LOVE this beer. I've always been a fan of Hefeweizens, and this one is now by far my favorite.

A- Poured as recommended into a hefe glass. Smooth pour with a bit of an orange tint. A small head left a nice lacing on the glass.

S- Wheat, apricot, and a general fruitiness. Subtle, but pleasant.

T- Wow! I cannot express how much I like the taste of this beer. Starts off with a banana and apricot frutiness, and continues into a slightly bitterer taste, which is well balanced. Finish is incredibly smooth and leaves a pleasant fruity taste in your mouth.

M- Light, not that carbonated. Finishes incredibly smoothly.

O- I loved it! (637 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Finally, i get to try this beer. My local beer shop didn't have it so i biked from St. Armands Key to Whole foods in Sarasota only to find this pretty eyeing me in the mix and match 6 pack section. Let's break it down.

A- Beautiful...really.

S- I almost didn't want to drink it because the smell would go away. I love the smell of a good hefe.

T- It was like i dreamed honestly. It's a lot like franz but a little better because of all the banana and spice. I'm a man of all kinds of spices, but this was the perfect amount.

M- Delightful. A tinge of a burn, but so sweet.

O- Best hefe i've had. I've had most of them too, but this one just stands out in my book. Don't listen to the naysayers! This is a damn good beer! (730 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Excellent hefe. 35 cl bottle found in off licence in Naas Co. Kildare Ireland. Best before 20-03-2015. The banana comes through nicely. Sorry that I only got one to try. I love the label too. (194 characters)

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.