1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,764 | Reviews: 1,190 | Show All Ratings:
donmonkey1

Tennessee

1.68/5  rDev -58.5%

Appearance: Cloudy medium yellow/orange with a decent white head. Good lacing.

Smell: Yeasty with a touch of that spice I hate but can't think of its name. It smells like cloves

Taste: It's got that yucky clove spice. I think it's called coriander.

Mouthfeel: Water

Drinkability: Bad. It has that yucky clove tasting spice that ruins the beer. It's in almost all wheat beers and it's normal to have that spice but I hate it.

Because the beer has that awful clove tasting spice, it really sux.

08-03-2009 03:10:00 | More by donmonkey1
DragonXero

2.2/5  rDev -45.7%

From the nearby town of Chico, this beer promised to be an exploration of excellent German-style wheat beer. The problem is, Sierra Nevada has done quite well with the Crustal Wheat and Old Chico beers, so this venture into Hefeweizen is an interesting choice.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go by memory on this one, as I am unwilling to try it for a fourth time.

First off, the smell: A warning of what's to come. The scent of rotten bananas and clove cigarettes pours from the opening of this bottle from the first twist. Not discouraging enough, of course, but it's still a good sign of an unusual beer. I love odd flavors in beer, generally. An apple flavor here or a lemon zest there, never something to avoid outright. The problem is this beer simply reeks of bad produce.

Next up, the taste, which is the most important to me, especially with Sierra Nevada brews. Frankly, all I could taste was fizzy rotten bananas and cloves. I may be a bit biased, as I like neither of these, but I feel they could have been made more subtle. Instead, it's a chemically taste followed by the uncomfortable reminder of bananas. This would be fine, but this combination doesn't feel complimentary at all. It's a bit sweet and the rush of hops pours in to ruin any synergy between the unusual flavors.

The mouthfeel is hard to dismiss. Again, that chemical taste bleeds into feeling, as the beer tends to almost feel like rubber, drying your mouth out. It is wonderfully fizzy though, and the feel while drinking it is enjoyable. It's just that the beer seems to like sticking around and keeping that clove taste stuck to your tongue.

It's a pretty standard microbrew in terms of color and head. It's plenty fizzy and looks great in a glass. I just can't personally stand the taste. Had I more closely read the bottle I would have avoided it the first time, but I hadn't expected a heffeweizen to be so odd-tasting.

Overall, not something I'd recommend to people who enjoy a nice solid wheat beer. Sierra Nevada offers two different types of wheat, one filtered, one unfiltered, which would easily satisfy that desire. If you enjoy bananas and clove cigarettes, this is definitely a great beer for you. It may be worth a try if you just want something fairly unique, but the flavors just don't seem to blend with the beer taste very well to me.

If you're looking for a good American wheat beer, absolutely pick up a pack of Sierra Nevada's Crystal Wheat or Old Chico. I simply cannot recommend this though.

08-19-2013 10:25:26 | More by DragonXero
Flamefighter

2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

From a 12-oz bottle that I picked up at a new store, that sells singles.

The beer pours hazy light amber with a white head that dissipates quickly.

The first sip is full of cloves and bananas with pretty good carbonation but since I am not a fan of cloves (in ham or beer), I didn't like it very much.

08-19-2010 01:44:37 | More by Flamefighter
vdread

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

swirled and poured like the bottle recommended. pours yellow and hazy with a thick head. smells of ripe bananas and spices. the thing about this beer that sticks out the most is the rotten fruit taste and smell. i can't really get past that. it feels like chalky water in the mouth and is very difficult to drink. i had to force myself to finish this.

im usually a big fan of sierra nevada but this falls way short. i thought that maybe i'd gotten a bad batch, but most of the low reviews seem to match up with what i'm tasting/feeling. i've had hefes before, so it's not that i dislike the style, i just can't understand how this tase could be appealing even to a hefe-head.

11-30-2009 01:47:11 | More by vdread
hardy008

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

Cloudy marmalade orange color with a one finger white head with poor retention and no lacing. The smell is light bananas, light cloves, and wheat. At least it has the familiar wheat beer smell.

The taste is somewhat sweet. There is light bananas, light cloves, and wheat. I don't think Sierra Nevada got this one right. I'm glad I don't have any more of this to finish.

Light bodied with modest carbonation. Thin and watery to be perfectly honest. This really pales in comparison to great Hefeweizens, such as Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. This could be an old bottle, but since I don't see a bottle date, my review stands as it is.

11-03-2012 22:08:34 | More by hardy008
acurtis

2.65/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen
12oz bottle poured into Verboten Weizen glass. Hazy golden straw color with lots of bubbles and one finger white head that lingers. Yeast, wheat and clove smell. Tastes just like it smells, too banana wheat. I love wheat beers and I love Sierra Nevada but this is just boring, I just don't like the flavor.

10-13-2010 19:31:01 | More by acurtis
PaleAleHater

Connecticut

2.68/5  rDev -33.8%

On tap at Eli Cannon's in CT. I rushed in to fill my mug but was choked back by the hype of this lackluster brew. Mouth feel was a quick fading fuzz of fizz. The taste was nothing spectacular yet not bad; bland as bland can be. I'd rather a beer be awful than average. When I see this in a sixer at the local packy I will probably buy a couple but I highly doubt it will pack the same sparkling summer sensation as a MH Wacko or Saranac LemonAle. I was half expecting this "hef" to be overloaded with hops and tasting identically to the green-labeled ubiquitous Pale Ale like every other beer SN has ever released into the wild. I applaud a SN that isn't destroyed with the awful bitterness of hops but this brew just didn't cut it. If beers were pitchmen, this one is more like Vince Shlomi and less like Billy Mays. By that, I mean it lacks staying power and identity, specifically in the areas of overall drinkability and taste.

05-14-2009 01:10:02 | More by PaleAleHater
koticphreak

2.7/5  rDev -33.3%

12oz bottle.

golden color, bubbly.Tastes much like it smells. I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great but this just isn't doing it... It leaves this sour aftertaste - but this could just be me, everyone else is reviewing it fairly high.

10-30-2010 21:57:59 | More by koticphreak
Ruslanchik

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a snifter, swirling twice to get all of the yeast at the bottom. The beer is a very pale hazy orange with yellow highlights. Fluffy white head started off strong, but quickly died down to a thin layer at the top. Lacing is evident if not overwhelming.

S: Smell is all spice. There is a little banana in there and just the faintest touch of hops. I guess cloves are the closest to what I'm smelling. I recognize the aroma, but I can't place it exactly.

T: Lackluster. The yeast flavor is not as prevalent as I would like and the beer tastes a little off, like it has gone bad. Kind of like drinking a hefe out of a cardboard box. Bittering hops are definitely up front and battle a little with the flavor of the beer. Not nearly as much spice here as in the aroma.

M: This beer a little thinner than I expected and kind of feels flat on the tongue.

D: A refreshing beer, but not one that I could session. One or two would be plenty, thanks.

Overall: I am really surprised at how highly this beer is rated. It comes up well short of the better hefes I've had (Franziskaner and Live Oak) and fails to impress.

09-09-2009 05:54:06 | More by Ruslanchik
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

Well, I must say this isn't what I expected from a hefeweizen.
Pours a nice looking hefe, golden slightly hazy body, semi-bright. Nice foam, white a fluffy.
Aroma contains most of what is looked or in a hefe, but with an added creamed corn funk. The citrus and banana are overwhelmed.
Taste is a bit all over the place. Weak biscuit/malt core, some spice and clove mixed in. Very soft/fain banana. I still get the sweet, cream corn. Not the best aftertaste either. It's light, so fairly drinkable, but misses the mark for me.

05-22-2010 03:54:27 | More by Mebuzzard
deaconoflove

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

ap. Beautiful cloudy golden color, but little head and it went quickly. No lacing.
sm. Not too strong spice and cloves. Someone suggested banana...okay.
ta. spice and banana? Kind of reminds me of pumpkin pit without the pumpkin. Sort of a lemony finish.
mf. good carbonation and slight tartness.
dr. But it gives way to an annoying sweet aftertaste that ruins it for me. One will do it.

11-11-2009 21:40:31 | More by deaconoflove
PEBKAC

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured into a weizen glass laden with a tourist trap logo I'm too ashamed to mention.

Swirled & poured out the last third like a good Sierra Nevada fanboy. Got nearly nothing but a new picket white fence for my effort. Once settled, it turns a muddy orange/peach color.

Smell is doughy, with ripe banana, coriander, & lavender & violet florals. Big presence.

Taste is much like a watered down orange banana smoothie. Very yeasty, feeling sort of dusty, like Orange Julius cheaped out & used powdered milk. Reddi Whip sweetness. Finish is yeasty bitterness & some faint grassy hops.

Carbonation is too low for me. Feel is too chalky the way SN wants to serve it. A second decanted bottle, though much thinner, proved better.

Where's my Franziskaner?

07-21-2009 05:57:20 | More by PEBKAC
Jesse13713

2.85/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - A whipped, creamy head that is soapy underneath. A slightly hazy straw-gold color. Fairly opaque. An elixir-looking brew.

Smell - Magnificent fresh bananas and light spice. A bready and yeasty smell. The brew smells sweet all in all.

Taste - An immediately noticeable sweetness that is coated with a splenda-like taste. A bit flat with a funky well-water taste. The hint of banana is weak, and the spice of the clove drifts in an out in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A bit too sweet for my liking. I would have liked to see a stronger emphasis on banana flavoring. This beer is very meh to me.

06-27-2012 21:01:44 | More by Jesse13713
hossua34

2.88/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Hazy, pale yellow-gold. A gritty layer of particulate at the bottom of the bottle adds extra cloudiness when swirled and poured. Medium-sized head with good retention. Moderate to weak lacing.

S - Mine smelled almost exactly the same as Great Lakes Grassroots Ale, and no, that is not a compliment. Like deviled eggs, baked beans or the water that collects at the bottom of a cooler or picnic basket. Pretty disgusting.

T - First taste is of wheat and citrus, then banana takes over. Would be better without the slight "rotten" taste that accompanies that putrid smell.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good. Creamy, well carbonated, smooth and refreshing.

D - What can I say? I just don't feel like having another one when I lower my nose back into that glass. The taste is not that bad, and the mouthfeel is great, but I really expected more from this hefe.

I could not believe how well-reviewed this Kellerweis was, compared to my experience with it. I bought this six-pack from a Giant Eagle grocery store, and come to think of it there WAS a little bit of white dust on the tops and necks of the bottles, but I just blew it off and forgot about it. There is no freshness or brewed-on date on the bottle, so I can only guess as to whether or not it was past-prime. Maybe I'll contact SN to find out.

08-07-2009 00:27:37 | More by hossua34
Sneers

Bottled February 4.

Pours a cloudy golden hue with straw-yellow edges. It's capped with a moderate, frothy white head.

The aroma on this is on the thin side of things: mild banana and spice. Nice, but I wish it were stronger.

The taste is right on the money compared to the aroma, with a gentle sweetness and a little bit of breadiness. The finish is slightly citrusy.

The mouthfeel on this full and creamy: very nice. The carbonation is prickly on the tongue.

Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is a totally decent hefe that I'd be happy to drink any day. That said, it lacks the complexity and strength of the best of the style.

05-13-2011 02:38:33 | More by Sneers
PolarBear3

Australia

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

A - Poured a pale cloudy golden colour with a two fingered head that dissipated to a nice thin film.

S - Like a typical hefeweizen. Get some banana immediately although not overly strong along with a hint of clove/spice.

T - Still get the banana but I get more lemon notes although fairly bland and watery.

M - Light bodied and very little carbonation althought is fairly smooth and creamy

O - Just an average attempt at the hefeweizen that just lacks any real depth in the flavour to make you grab for another. Not bad but a little bland overall.

05-09-2012 11:58:04 | More by PolarBear3
BethanyB

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Dark yellow, and so hazy, it's almost opaque. The rocky head is ivory, and like most Sierra Nevada beers, lasts 'til the bitter (or in this case, non-bitter) end.

Smell: Banana and bubblegum, with an unusually high emphasis on the bubblegum. Some light vanilla notes and a bit of bready malt. Spices are absent, which is too bad.

Taste: Disappointingly light, with bubblegum taking an unwelcome front seat. The aftertaste is quite bready, and long-lasting. Some citrus flavors lend a hand, but fail to leave me satisfied.

Mouthfeel: Considerable carbonation is canceled out by a slippery, water-like texture that contributes to the thinness of the taste. Despite all this, there is a medium mouthfeel.

Overall: So disappointed with this one. I was sure I would like it, but more than anything else, it reminded me of watered-down banana Kool-Aid. By far the least flavorful weizen I've ever had. Just not for me, I guess.

08-21-2013 18:59:29 | More by BethanyB
Reidrover

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

Lovelly looking beer in the pint glass, hazy pale orange, witha nice sized tight white head. Aroma is pretty simplistic for a hefe..subdued spice and some bubble gum. tste is as simple and subdued as the aroma..with some faint earth yeast in the end. Pretty average on the palate in all respects. Not a great hefe at all, quite dissapointed.

03-06-2010 03:30:08 | More by Reidrover
Krakistophales

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of white head

S: Some citrus zest, some spice, a bit of banana, and a breadiness

T: A bit of citrus flavor, a touch of spice, but mostly bland and a bit sour.

O: Not sure I'm a fan of these hefeweizens. This one is okay, but nothing I'd be reaching for, even on a hot summer day.

07-22-2011 18:47:22 | More by Krakistophales
bobhits

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

A few kinds words about this one were given to me recently and I realized I hadn't had it. The heck is wrong with me! Anyway time to test this one out.

It pours...like a hefe. Thick and cloudy yeast filled orange body, tall creamy looking head. Doesn't have the retention or lacing needed to push it to a 5 though.

A nice banana and clove aroma. There's a hint less malt and power than perhaps hoped for, but we're in the top hefe levels here.

There is a bit of a cali flavor here. Perhaps a kiss of hops or a dash of citrus lemon note that's covered up well, but it shifts this one a bit. The bananas and cloves are a given. This one is a touch too sour for me.

The biggest flaw here comes from the mouth feel. Far from the creamy body I'd hoped for. Instead just solid and enjoyable on a hot day.

I always passed on this one due to feeling it was a summer beer and nothing more. I was wrong. This is a solid a good American version of a Hef, but I do'nt see myself lining up to repeat this one. That said the price here will justify me recommending this to my more cost concerned hef fan friends.

01-27-2012 00:08:10 | More by bobhits
beertunes

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy yellow, doesn't have the typical cloudiness you see in Hefe's. A thick, fluffy, white dissipated at a slightly quicker than moderate pace, leaving little lacing.

The typical aromas for the style are present, but subdued. Same goes for the flavors. The body was smooth and evenly full. Drinkability was easy. Overall an average version of the style, I could see keeping a few of these in the fridge during the summer, even though I prefer Wits over Hefe's. Worth trying.

08-03-2009 21:46:59 | More by beertunes
alexkeil

3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

I respect Sierra Nevada as a brewery. I believe they are one of the best in this country and should be looked at as an example of great American beer. Saying that, I was a little disappointed in this german style offering. I really wanted a great hefe with notes of banana and clove in the aroma and flavor and this was a little tame - which most American hefeweizens can be, with the exception of Long Trail. This beer was expertly crafted, very refreshing and sessionable, clean in finish, and was free of major flaws: it just didn't make me go WOW.

03-21-2011 01:05:14 | More by alexkeil
Shrews629

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance - Cloudy, yellowish/orange. Very nice snow white thick head that had a combination of large and small bubbles. Looks good.

Smell - Some spice in the nose. Maybe the cloves? Getting some kind of artificial "plastic" smell. Getting a bit of the yeast and wheat, but having trouble detecting the banana.

Taste - Small amounts of bitterness at the end. Slight bit of sourness, but not much however. Seems to be balanced very well. No one flavor is dominant over the other. Still not picking up the aforementioned banana.

Mouthfeel - Light mouthfeel. Very crisp, smooth and watery.

Drinkability - Could definitely set a few of these back on a hot day. Very nice looking beer, but the smell brings the score down just a bit. Not horrible. I would drink it again if it was offered. I don't seem to be able to find a Hefe or Wheat that really appeals to me for some reason.

07-11-2010 15:33:51 | More by Shrews629
colts9016

Idaho

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured into a heffe glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A foamy, creamy, and frothy head that has some retention to it. The head left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a medium straw color with light yellow hues. The clarity of the beer is cloudy.

Nose: A rich lemon , orange, floral bouquet, wheat and crystal malt made up the bulk of the aroma. There are notes of yeast, bread, and grapefruit.

Taste: A rich wheat, lemon zest, orange, floral bouquet, malt, and yeast is the main flavors.

The mouth feel is creamy, rich and slightly chewy.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium. The one thing that I find displeasing in the beer is the balance. I felt that the wheat and the citrus was not equal in the playing field. I know that Sierra puts powerful flavors in the beer and maybe that is what they intended to do here.

11-22-2010 07:51:28 | More by colts9016
tlong421

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

I really dislike Sierra Nevada more times than not and only chose this beer because someone had left it in my fridge. In saying that:

A: standard weizen appearance; nice golden color

S: I didn't detect much of an order at all.

T: I feel it was an average weizen; hints of banana, but generally it felt a little watered down to me

M: smooth, easy to go down. It's really hard to screw up the mouthfeel of a weizen

D: again, same as mouthfeel, it's hard to really screw this up. Even the worst weizens are easy on the palate.

01-15-2011 06:15:48 | More by tlong421
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.