Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,332 | Hads: 3,830
2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

On tap at Eli Cannon's in CT. I rushed in to fill my mug but was choked back by the hype of this lackluster brew. Mouth feel was a quick fading fuzz of fizz. The taste was nothing spectacular yet not bad; bland as bland can be. I'd rather a beer be awful than average. When I see this in a sixer at the local packy I will probably buy a couple but I highly doubt it will pack the same sparkling summer sensation as a MH Wacko or Saranac LemonAle. I was half expecting this "hef" to be overloaded with hops and tasting identically to the green-labeled ubiquitous Pale Ale like every other beer SN has ever released into the wild. I applaud a SN that isn't destroyed with the awful bitterness of hops but this brew just didn't cut it. If beers were pitchmen, this one is more like Vince Shlomi and less like Billy Mays. By that, I mean it lacks staying power and identity, specifically in the areas of overall drinkability and taste.

2.76/5  rDev -32%

12oz bottle.

golden color, bubbly.Tastes much like it smells. I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great but this just isn't doing it... It leaves this sour aftertaste - but this could just be me, everyone else is reviewing it fairly high.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

ap. Beautiful cloudy golden color, but little head and it went quickly. No lacing.
sm. Not too strong spice and cloves. Someone suggested banana...okay.
ta. spice and banana? Kind of reminds me of pumpkin pit without the pumpkin. Sort of a lemony finish.
mf. good carbonation and slight tartness.
dr. But it gives way to an annoying sweet aftertaste that ruins it for me. One will do it.

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A: Poured from the bottle into a snifter, swirling twice to get all of the yeast at the bottom. The beer is a very pale hazy orange with yellow highlights. Fluffy white head started off strong, but quickly died down to a thin layer at the top. Lacing is evident if not overwhelming.

S: Smell is all spice. There is a little banana in there and just the faintest touch of hops. I guess cloves are the closest to what I'm smelling. I recognize the aroma, but I can't place it exactly.

T: Lackluster. The yeast flavor is not as prevalent as I would like and the beer tastes a little off, like it has gone bad. Kind of like drinking a hefe out of a cardboard box. Bittering hops are definitely up front and battle a little with the flavor of the beer. Not nearly as much spice here as in the aroma.

M: This beer a little thinner than I expected and kind of feels flat on the tongue.

D: A refreshing beer, but not one that I could session. One or two would be plenty, thanks.

Overall: I am really surprised at how highly this beer is rated. It comes up well short of the better hefes I've had (Franziskaner and Live Oak) and fails to impress.

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

Well, I must say this isn't what I expected from a hefeweizen.
Pours a nice looking hefe, golden slightly hazy body, semi-bright. Nice foam, white a fluffy.
Aroma contains most of what is looked or in a hefe, but with an added creamed corn funk. The citrus and banana are overwhelmed.
Taste is a bit all over the place. Weak biscuit/malt core, some spice and clove mixed in. Very soft/fain banana. I still get the sweet, cream corn. Not the best aftertaste either. It's light, so fairly drinkable, but misses the mark for me.

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

A - Hazy, pale yellow-gold. A gritty layer of particulate at the bottom of the bottle adds extra cloudiness when swirled and poured. Medium-sized head with good retention. Moderate to weak lacing.

S - Mine smelled almost exactly the same as Great Lakes Grassroots Ale, and no, that is not a compliment. Like deviled eggs, baked beans or the water that collects at the bottom of a cooler or picnic basket. Pretty disgusting.

T - First taste is of wheat and citrus, then banana takes over. Would be better without the slight "rotten" taste that accompanies that putrid smell.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good. Creamy, well carbonated, smooth and refreshing.

D - What can I say? I just don't feel like having another one when I lower my nose back into that glass. The taste is not that bad, and the mouthfeel is great, but I really expected more from this hefe.

I could not believe how well-reviewed this Kellerweis was, compared to my experience with it. I bought this six-pack from a Giant Eagle grocery store, and come to think of it there WAS a little bit of white dust on the tops and necks of the bottles, but I just blew it off and forgot about it. There is no freshness or brewed-on date on the bottle, so I can only guess as to whether or not it was past-prime. Maybe I'll contact SN to find out.

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured into a weizen glass laden with a tourist trap logo I'm too ashamed to mention.

Swirled & poured out the last third like a good Sierra Nevada fanboy. Got nearly nothing but a new picket white fence for my effort. Once settled, it turns a muddy orange/peach color.

Smell is doughy, with ripe banana, coriander, & lavender & violet florals. Big presence.

Taste is much like a watered down orange banana smoothie. Very yeasty, feeling sort of dusty, like Orange Julius cheaped out & used powdered milk. Reddi Whip sweetness. Finish is yeasty bitterness & some faint grassy hops.

Carbonation is too low for me. Feel is too chalky the way SN wants to serve it. A second decanted bottle, though much thinner, proved better.

Where's my Franziskaner?

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A. Aggressive poor 1inch of yellow/white head. Color is light gold with a thick haze.
S. Pillsner and sour yeast.
T. Like a Hefeweizen nothing special, but I do taste the banana.
M. Cool and crisp.
O. Just an average rendition of a Hefeweizen.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - A whipped, creamy head that is soapy underneath. A slightly hazy straw-gold color. Fairly opaque. An elixir-looking brew.

Smell - Magnificent fresh bananas and light spice. A bready and yeasty smell. The brew smells sweet all in all.

Taste - An immediately noticeable sweetness that is coated with a splenda-like taste. A bit flat with a funky well-water taste. The hint of banana is weak, and the spice of the clove drifts in an out in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A bit too sweet for my liking. I would have liked to see a stronger emphasis on banana flavoring. This beer is very meh to me.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

look- hazy yellow/orange with at least 4 fingers of head that hung around for a while and had a good lacing on the glass

Smell- of Banana and to me almost a honey and wheat

Taste- Wheat, banana, and a bit of spice with a sour hop finish

feel- light to medium with a bit of dryness

Overall- This is the first Sierra Nevada beer that I somewhat liked most go down the drain but I am still not a fan letter grad C

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Poured a pale cloudy golden colour with a two fingered head that dissipated to a nice thin film.

S - Like a typical hefeweizen. Get some banana immediately although not overly strong along with a hint of clove/spice.

T - Still get the banana but I get more lemon notes although fairly bland and watery.

M - Light bodied and very little carbonation althought is fairly smooth and creamy

O - Just an average attempt at the hefeweizen that just lacks any real depth in the flavour to make you grab for another. Not bad but a little bland overall.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Lovelly looking beer in the pint glass, hazy pale orange, witha nice sized tight white head. Aroma is pretty simplistic for a hefe..subdued spice and some bubble gum. tste is as simple and subdued as the aroma..with some faint earth yeast in the end. Pretty average on the palate in all respects. Not a great hefe at all, quite dissapointed.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of white head

S: Some citrus zest, some spice, a bit of banana, and a breadiness

T: A bit of citrus flavor, a touch of spice, but mostly bland and a bit sour.

O: Not sure I'm a fan of these hefeweizens. This one is okay, but nothing I'd be reaching for, even on a hot summer day.

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Dark yellow, and so hazy, it's almost opaque. The rocky head is ivory, and like most Sierra Nevada beers, lasts 'til the bitter (or in this case, non-bitter) end.

Smell: Banana and bubblegum, with an unusually high emphasis on the bubblegum. Some light vanilla notes and a bit of bready malt. Spices are absent, which is too bad.

Taste: Disappointingly light, with bubblegum taking an unwelcome front seat. The aftertaste is quite bready, and long-lasting. Some citrus flavors lend a hand, but fail to leave me satisfied.

Mouthfeel: Considerable carbonation is canceled out by a slippery, water-like texture that contributes to the thinness of the taste. Despite all this, there is a medium mouthfeel.

Overall: So disappointed with this one. I was sure I would like it, but more than anything else, it reminded me of watered-down banana Kool-Aid. By far the least flavorful weizen I've ever had. Just not for me, I guess.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I love Sierra Nevada and I love a good Hefeweizen, but I don't get this beer at all. It doesn't look, smell, taste or feel like a German Hefeweizen AT ALL.

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy yellow, doesn't have the typical cloudiness you see in Hefe's. A thick, fluffy, white dissipated at a slightly quicker than moderate pace, leaving little lacing.

The typical aromas for the style are present, but subdued. Same goes for the flavors. The body was smooth and evenly full. Drinkability was easy. Overall an average version of the style, I could see keeping a few of these in the fridge during the summer, even though I prefer Wits over Hefe's. Worth trying.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Teku glass.

L - Pours a cloudy, light golden yellow with an airy white head.

S - Wheat, banana, and a bit of spice.

T - Banana, clove, citrus with a slightly sour hop finish

F - Weaker carbonation, watery almost.

O - Bottle packaged on 05/13/15. It's heavy on the cloves and weak in the carbonation...but it's okay for lovers of citrus and spice beer lovers.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

A few kinds words about this one were given to me recently and I realized I hadn't had it. The heck is wrong with me! Anyway time to test this one out.

It pours...like a hefe. Thick and cloudy yeast filled orange body, tall creamy looking head. Doesn't have the retention or lacing needed to push it to a 5 though.

A nice banana and clove aroma. There's a hint less malt and power than perhaps hoped for, but we're in the top hefe levels here.

There is a bit of a cali flavor here. Perhaps a kiss of hops or a dash of citrus lemon note that's covered up well, but it shifts this one a bit. The bananas and cloves are a given. This one is a touch too sour for me.

The biggest flaw here comes from the mouth feel. Far from the creamy body I'd hoped for. Instead just solid and enjoyable on a hot day.

I always passed on this one due to feeling it was a summer beer and nothing more. I was wrong. This is a solid a good American version of a Hef, but I do'nt see myself lining up to repeat this one. That said the price here will justify me recommending this to my more cost concerned hef fan friends.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Very good carbonation out of a bottle. The aroma was a bit weak, with basically nothing to speak of. However, the appearance was top notch. Very pale and opaque; just like a Hefe should be. Banana is very noticeable on the front and end of this beer, with small amount of bitterness in between. Overall a good all day summer beer.

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

I really dislike Sierra Nevada more times than not and only chose this beer because someone had left it in my fridge. In saying that:

A: standard weizen appearance; nice golden color

S: I didn't detect much of an order at all.

T: I feel it was an average weizen; hints of banana, but generally it felt a little watered down to me

M: smooth, easy to go down. It's really hard to screw up the mouthfeel of a weizen

D: again, same as mouthfeel, it's hard to really screw this up. Even the worst weizens are easy on the palate.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

This hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is a cloudy-but-sediment-free, deep gold beer that briefly sports an average white head and laces the glass sparingly. It has the banana/clove spice notes particular to the breed, but they are not as prevalent as they should be. On the palate they are joined by a slight citrus flavor and a hoppiness that is just a bit stronger than the light wheat flavor; a somewhat creamy texture and average carbonation ease one to a smooth wheat finish with an unexpected sour note that lingers a moment. This is not a bad hefeweizen, just kind of boring- more strongly-expressed flavors would improve it.

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance - Cloudy, yellowish/orange. Very nice snow white thick head that had a combination of large and small bubbles. Looks good.

Smell - Some spice in the nose. Maybe the cloves? Getting some kind of artificial "plastic" smell. Getting a bit of the yeast and wheat, but having trouble detecting the banana.

Taste - Small amounts of bitterness at the end. Slight bit of sourness, but not much however. Seems to be balanced very well. No one flavor is dominant over the other. Still not picking up the aforementioned banana.

Mouthfeel - Light mouthfeel. Very crisp, smooth and watery.

Drinkability - Could definitely set a few of these back on a hot day. Very nice looking beer, but the smell brings the score down just a bit. Not horrible. I would drink it again if it was offered. I don't seem to be able to find a Hefe or Wheat that really appeals to me for some reason.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I respect Sierra Nevada as a brewery. I believe they are one of the best in this country and should be looked at as an example of great American beer. Saying that, I was a little disappointed in this german style offering. I really wanted a great hefe with notes of banana and clove in the aroma and flavor and this was a little tame - which most American hefeweizens can be, with the exception of Long Trail. This beer was expertly crafted, very refreshing and sessionable, clean in finish, and was free of major flaws: it just didn't make me go WOW.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Served in a Peroni glass, this beer pours a hazy golden-yellow with a rather short-lived white head. Banana and clove in the nose, but not as pronounced as some Bavarian versions. More ripe banana in the fruity flavor.

M: light body; near medium carbonation.

Overall: perhaps the first SN beer I don't want to have again. Not bad and true to style, but an average version of a style I don't usually care for.

(light revision with 2013 bottle in Sept. 2013).

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured into a heffe glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A foamy, creamy, and frothy head that has some retention to it. The head left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a medium straw color with light yellow hues. The clarity of the beer is cloudy.

Nose: A rich lemon , orange, floral bouquet, wheat and crystal malt made up the bulk of the aroma. There are notes of yeast, bread, and grapefruit.

Taste: A rich wheat, lemon zest, orange, floral bouquet, malt, and yeast is the main flavors.

The mouth feel is creamy, rich and slightly chewy.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium. The one thing that I find displeasing in the beer is the balance. I felt that the wheat and the citrus was not equal in the playing field. I know that Sierra puts powerful flavors in the beer and maybe that is what they intended to do here.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.