Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros

WhoDatMatt, Jun 27, 2014

Stargazer2892, Jul 16, 2014

Rosstheboss, Feb 25, 2014

AlaskanYoung, Jul 15, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

Well, I must say this isn't what I expected from a hefeweizen.
Pours a nice looking hefe, golden slightly hazy body, semi-bright. Nice foam, white a fluffy.
Aroma contains most of what is looked or in a hefe, but with an added creamed corn funk. The citrus and banana are overwhelmed.
Taste is a bit all over the place. Weak biscuit/malt core, some spice and clove mixed in. Very soft/fain banana. I still get the sweet, cream corn. Not the best aftertaste either. It's light, so fairly drinkable, but misses the mark for me.

Mebuzzard, May 22, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a snifter, swirling twice to get all of the yeast at the bottom. The beer is a very pale hazy orange with yellow highlights. Fluffy white head started off strong, but quickly died down to a thin layer at the top. Lacing is evident if not overwhelming.

S: Smell is all spice. There is a little banana in there and just the faintest touch of hops. I guess cloves are the closest to what I'm smelling. I recognize the aroma, but I can't place it exactly.

T: Lackluster. The yeast flavor is not as prevalent as I would like and the beer tastes a little off, like it has gone bad. Kind of like drinking a hefe out of a cardboard box. Bittering hops are definitely up front and battle a little with the flavor of the beer. Not nearly as much spice here as in the aroma.

M: This beer a little thinner than I expected and kind of feels flat on the tongue.

D: A refreshing beer, but not one that I could session. One or two would be plenty, thanks.

Overall: I am really surprised at how highly this beer is rated. It comes up well short of the better hefes I've had (Franziskaner and Live Oak) and fails to impress.

Ruslanchik, Sep 09, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

ap. Beautiful cloudy golden color, but little head and it went quickly. No lacing.
sm. Not too strong spice and cloves. Someone suggested banana...okay.
ta. spice and banana? Kind of reminds me of pumpkin pit without the pumpkin. Sort of a lemony finish.
mf. good carbonation and slight tartness.
dr. But it gives way to an annoying sweet aftertaste that ruins it for me. One will do it.

deaconoflove, Nov 11, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured into a weizen glass laden with a tourist trap logo I'm too ashamed to mention.

Swirled & poured out the last third like a good Sierra Nevada fanboy. Got nearly nothing but a new picket white fence for my effort. Once settled, it turns a muddy orange/peach color.

Smell is doughy, with ripe banana, coriander, & lavender & violet florals. Big presence.

Taste is much like a watered down orange banana smoothie. Very yeasty, feeling sort of dusty, like Orange Julius cheaped out & used powdered milk. Reddi Whip sweetness. Finish is yeasty bitterness & some faint grassy hops.

Carbonation is too low for me. Feel is too chalky the way SN wants to serve it. A second decanted bottle, though much thinner, proved better.

Where's my Franziskaner?

PEBKAC, Jul 21, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - A whipped, creamy head that is soapy underneath. A slightly hazy straw-gold color. Fairly opaque. An elixir-looking brew.

Smell - Magnificent fresh bananas and light spice. A bready and yeasty smell. The brew smells sweet all in all.

Taste - An immediately noticeable sweetness that is coated with a splenda-like taste. A bit flat with a funky well-water taste. The hint of banana is weak, and the spice of the clove drifts in an out in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A bit too sweet for my liking. I would have liked to see a stronger emphasis on banana flavoring. This beer is very meh to me.

Jesse13713, Jun 27, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -28.9%

thelargeone, Aug 27, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Hazy, pale yellow-gold. A gritty layer of particulate at the bottom of the bottle adds extra cloudiness when swirled and poured. Medium-sized head with good retention. Moderate to weak lacing.

S - Mine smelled almost exactly the same as Great Lakes Grassroots Ale, and no, that is not a compliment. Like deviled eggs, baked beans or the water that collects at the bottom of a cooler or picnic basket. Pretty disgusting.

T - First taste is of wheat and citrus, then banana takes over. Would be better without the slight "rotten" taste that accompanies that putrid smell.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good. Creamy, well carbonated, smooth and refreshing.

D - What can I say? I just don't feel like having another one when I lower my nose back into that glass. The taste is not that bad, and the mouthfeel is great, but I really expected more from this hefe.

I could not believe how well-reviewed this Kellerweis was, compared to my experience with it. I bought this six-pack from a Giant Eagle grocery store, and come to think of it there WAS a little bit of white dust on the tops and necks of the bottles, but I just blew it off and forgot about it. There is no freshness or brewed-on date on the bottle, so I can only guess as to whether or not it was past-prime. Maybe I'll contact SN to find out.

hossua34, Aug 07, 2009

Skabiski, Mar 05, 2014

dertyd, Jan 17, 2013

Alby402, Mar 27, 2014

TheMrFarnham, Jul 15, 2013
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.