Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,650 | Reviews: 1,313
4.94/5  rDev +22%

Outstanding hefe. Beautiful hazy wheat look and a crisp finish. I love this beer!

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally, finally getting around to reviewing this one. Truly one of the ales I have left behind in my journey; having it several times and not getting those notes down. Part of the 2015 Summer mixed-12.

A- The stubby bottle reveals a rather hazy, golden brew into my slender, tall glass. A massive, three plus finger, creamy white head rises up with amazing retention. Very thick blankets of lace attach to the glass.

S- Bright, simple and clean. Bananas, yeast bread, oranges, lemon zest, clove and pink peppercorn come to mind right away. Pale pils grains and bready wheat provide a backing.

T- Quite a bit more bready and grainy than the aroma but the esters and phenols are still bright and certainly flavorful. Lightly tart lemon juice feel with banana, clove, very slight pepper, vanilla sweetness and a big bready finish.

MF- Creamy and silky consistency probably in part due to the wheat in the bill. Carbonation comes in high but is padded fully by the puffy feel.

Finds a great balance. The esters and phenols do not scream at you but are present in moderation with a great use of wheat in the flavor and body. I always admire an American brewery that can make a good wheat beer.

1.91/5  rDev -52.8%

I love a good hefeweizen. This was an uninspiring attempt at best. All the classic hallmarks are there but barely noticeable. Banana and clove barely perceived , soft velvety creamy head missing entirely. You can only tell this is a hefeweizen by comparing it pale ales. What a disappointment.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Great lighter beer, and well balanced. Banana and clove spice mainly on the taste with a sweet yeast character in the background. Would make a great session beer, with plenty of taste but relatively low abv.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a big fan of wheat beers but this one is pretty good. No overpowering yeast taste. Smooth and drinkable. Good summer beer. yb

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

BOD 314/14. Pours a cloudy light amber. Outstanding head volume and retention, normal lacing.

Light nose with a hint of clove and banana over biscuit with a light airy touch of citrus notes, possibly orange.

Medium body that is almost creamy. Perfect carbonation that starts with a nice effervescent burst in the middle and a prickly explosion in the finish that imparts a nice little snap.

The flavor profile is world class. Bold in intensity, very complex and balanced to perfection. It begins with a blend of flavors that separate into the finish. A light tart biscuit sweetness arrives first, then banana, bubblegum, lemon/orange, wheat and yeast. Underneath is a clove presence that continuously increases in intensity and dominates the finish. Clove lingers in the somewhat dry finish that is also a bit tart.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a very cloudy orangeish gold, with a thick white head. Head fades but leaves nice lacing.

S: Bready malts, banana, and clove.

T: Lemon, banana, subtly sweet malts, bready malts, oak, and a slight taste of earthy hops.

M: Light bodied with the right amount of carbonation. Smooth and crisp goes down great.

O: A solid American interpretation of a German classic. Perfect summer beer. I could easily put 24 of these bad boys down rather easily.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am not a huge hefeweizen fan - but this one is great!
it is perfect for the summer!
Light, tasty and free from guilt :o)

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Completely cloudy yellow with a fluffy white head. I shook the last bit in the bottle to make it extra yeasty.

Smell: Pretty strong yeast - bread, ripe banana, clove.

Taste: Yeast continues to dominate. Wheat shows up in the middle, finishing dry.

Mouthfeel: Thin. Well carbonated, but not in a tingly way.

Overall: Good clean Hefe.

4.14/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: cloudy golden color with a persistent white head.
Smell: ripe bananas along with some cinnamon and clove notes
Taste: typical of a German Hefeweizen.
Overall: Very refreshing no frills wheat beer. This is the closest thing to a southern German weissbeer that I have found stateside.

3.64/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like sludge when poured out. I get a lot of banana and cloves dominating the aroma and, not surprisingly, the flavor. Hefe’s aren’t my style in general and this one doesn’t change my mind. Sorry guys.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Last of three bottles from the Summer Pack; bottling date is March 30th, 2015.

Looks pretty much how I'd expect a hefeweizen to look -- very, very cloudy (can't really see light through it at all -- phone held right up to the narrowest part of the glass *just barely* penetrates, but only as a glowing square, you definitely can't read anything through this one.) It's a light orangey color, with a decent bit of white foam on top, which shrinks into a thin coating on top after a bit and as I'm starting to empty the glass, has started to shrink away even more. I can see trails of yeast-goop left in the bottle from where it didn't quite all pour out, even when I did the "swirl the last little bit of the beer and pour it in" thing. The foam looks a tad darker in places where the last drips of the yeasty stuff fell through it.

Difficult to describe the smell. Mostly it's just incredibly yeasty, I'm assuming in part due to the abundance of yeasty stuff from the bottom of the bottle that I (mostly) poured in along with the rest of the beer. Maybe a bit bready too. Finding it difficult to pick up on other smells through the yeastiness, which is a little funky at times. On further sniffs I'm starting to pick up some of the banana-like thing (definitely present in the beer's flavor) in the smell too. A bit odd that that doesn't show up right away smell-wise, considering how noticeable it is in the taste.

The taste is a whole lot nicer than the smell. Banana-y flavor is the first thing that makes a strong impression, and it actually reminds me of an actual ripe banana or perhaps banana bread rather than leaning more in the "banana candy" direction. There's also a sweet bready taste, and then on the end a whole lot of wheaty flavor, which borders on spiciness at times. Lingering breadiness, with maybe very slight banana and spice at times, afterward. I don't really detect anything that seems like a "hoppy" flavor to me (if there's much in the way of hops here, they're blending in well enough with the rest that I'm not really noticing them) or any noticeable bitterness either. Definitely leaning on malt and yeasty weirdness.

Mouthfeel may just be my favorite part of this one. It's fizzy but never in a prickly or uncomfortable way, extremely smooth and easy to drink quickly. I think the suspended yeasty bits make it feel a lot thicker and make me want to drink a lot more in one gulp than normal -- kinda like how juice (especially the kind with the pulp still in) and milk (and I mean real milk, not 1% or skim or some crap like that) just feel nicer to drink than plain ol' water or other drinks that don't have that kind of thing going on. Kind of coats your mouth with banana-y and bready flavor afterward, too.

Overall, this is a very nice beer -- very different from most of the beers I drink (I've only had one other hefeweizen before this one) but tasty, and with a really great mouthfeel that makes me want to go ahead and drink another one. Sadly, however, what I just drank was my last bottle so that won't be possible unless I can find more. Here's hoping this one sticks around -- every once and a while I see mumblings that it might end up discontinued at some point on the forums around here -- even if it is just as a summer seasonal or in variety packs.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: slightly hazy gold with average white head, leaving a film.
Smell: fruity clove-like
Taste: Nice variety of flavors from the light maltiness to banana and clove and little hops influence. There is some sourness that is a bit of a turnoff but is not overwhelming.
Feel: Light, somewhat effervescent

Overall: I have to confess I was expecting more from this beer. Although enjoyable with a decent variety of flavors, it didn't give the impression of being anything more than an average wheat beer. I noticed that it was a little on the older side based on the bottled on date so I will look for a fresher sample at some point to check again.

4.01/5  rDev -1%

Up until now wheat beers have not really been my thing. I thought they were nice, sure, but nothing I wanted to drink regularly. This one has changed my mind. I really encompasses an enormous range of flavors in a simple package. Refreshing yet substantial, bread, slightly herbaceous, almost nutty at points. Here is a beer I could see myself drinking regularly.

3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

This hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is a cloudy-but-sediment-free, deep gold beer that briefly sports an average white head and laces the glass sparingly. It has the banana/clove spice notes particular to the breed, but they are not as prevalent as they should be. On the palate they are joined by a slight citrus flavor and a hoppiness that is just a bit stronger than the light wheat flavor; a somewhat creamy texture and average carbonation ease one to a smooth wheat finish with an unexpected sour note that lingers a moment. This is not a bad hefeweizen, just kind of boring- more strongly-expressed flavors would improve it.

4.52/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An exceptional wheat beer. So tasty, creamy, and filling, I could drink this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Love this Sierra Nevada is easily one of my favorite brewerys.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- yellow green in color that is yeasty. A 2 finger head that leaves a nice splotchy lacing on the pint.

S- pepper and lemongrass and banana

F- yeasty but mimics the nose and is perfect.

M- smooth...cool and refreshing. Light bodied and i could drink this all day.

O- A great hefe and probably one of the best ive had

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Good wheat. Like the label says, big banana bread taste and aroma. Yeast tang lingers on the lips. Nice mouthfeel. Very good and authentic tasting interpretation of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reminds me of my study abroad in Germany!

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid Hefeweizen. Every time I think Sierra Nevada has outdone themselves they prove me wrong. The caramel undertones in this beer really shine through and make it so enjoyable to drink. Will definitely be purchasing this one again.

My favorite Hefeweizen bar none.

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This here is a treat. Pours a murky blonde color while having bready/malty/banana scents. The taste is outstanding, crisp and sweet. This is definitely a sipping beer and just chugging this beer would be an insult and you wouldn't get the great flavors this American interpretation of a hefeweizen has to offer. This is definitely THE beer to drink as an access-way to the deep rabbit hole known as "craft-beer".

I drank this beer with my Munich-born Weihenstephaner-loving brother in law and all he could say was "Wunderbar".

3.91/5  rDev -3.5%

Rated this based on others I have tried of the same style. Very good and crisp for a hefe which aren't my fave. Came in the summer pack I purchased but heard it was an awesome hefe so will probably by the pack again.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For my money, this is by far such a superior wheat to what’s widely available. For that matter, it’s the only wheat I seek out. A cut above. In a class of its own.

This beer is THE BOMB

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.