2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,776 | Reviews: 1,191 | Show All Ratings:
ntatum

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a lovely golden wheat color with some cloudiness, all expected from a hefe.

Taste smells of banana and cloves. For some reason I've never been a big fan of the hefe smells so much as i like the taste.

Taste comes through as bananas and clove with a touch of wheatiness (it could use some more of that wheatiness to balance it out.)

Mouthfeel is effervescent and very refreshing. I'm really going to give this one a second go when it gets warmer.

Overall a good beer but not knock your socks off good. It seems to be missing a citrus element that would make it better for me. I could add a lemon wedge but I hate to ruin a good beer. I may have to pick up some more and do some research.

03-21-2011 02:33:13 | More by ntatum
adevans

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A - Opaque, hazy golden with an off-white/tan head about two fingers. No lacing.

S - Smells mostly of clove, lemon, and honey. The bottle suggests banana aromas, but I did not find any. A bready-wheat smell.

T - A slightly bitter wheat with an additional bitter note from the clove. With each sip, the clove becomes more prevalent, and the sweetness of the banana finally shows through with an aftertaste that builds.

M - Mildly carbonated, good body. A silky brew that ends up finishing dry.

O - I would encourage anyone to try this beer, it's a top notch Hefe.

07-19-2011 17:58:46 | More by adevans
harveystarr

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle from pick 6 at Wegmans. By the way, the bottle is beautiful. Loved it completely.

I loved the directions which were to pour 2/3 out, swish the bottle and top off. There was an obvious sediment which added to the whole experience and cloudiness.

In a glass it was so translucent it was almost opaque, with only the light getting through. Could not see any fingers behind the glass. A bright yellow in the sun.

Head was a rich and creamy one finger, which dissapated to a small ring at the top.

The smell was nice, definite bananas and yeast, which I love.

Taste was very pleasing, with that banana and cloves. Mouthfell was great, silky, creamy and slight carbonation.

Overall an excellent beer, one in which I'll be getting more of for a summer around the pool.

04-11-2011 17:13:47 | More by harveystarr
HopAlongG

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

As good as there is. As far as I'm concerned Kellerweis belongs with the standards of this style...namely Ayinger, Weihenstepaner, Franziskaner, Paulaner, Konig, etc...and that is no small feat. SN has quality control that should be the standard for every industry. Forget about ranking what it looks like, smells like, head, etc...it has it all. Add it to your summer hef rotation and you'll thank the GDR for inventing the style.

09-14-2012 23:22:41 | More by HopAlongG
iammatt

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Finally found this after waiting for it to appear around here, and was well worth the wait.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass following the Hefeweizen serving procedure. Poured a nice light gold color, murky as pond water with a nice two finger pillowy head that slowly subsided to a half finger head leaving behind sticky, soap like lacing. Tons of sediment left at the bottom of the bottle, even after swirling, you'd have to shake or scrape the rest off. Ripe Bananas and spice, notably cloves, stand out at the forefront. Wheat, yeast, hops are definitely present but Bananas and Cloves are the star of this show.

Upon taste you're first welcomed by citrus which is quickly followed up by bananas and vanilla and finishes off dry and slightly clovey. A creamy beer, yet not to heavy, with a nice effervescent finish. The sub 5% ABV, refreshing flavor, and good drinkability make this American Hefeweizen a superbly drinkable summer brew.

07-13-2009 00:42:10 | More by iammatt
shageman331

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - Poured into a mug. Has a nice hazy, opaque golden color with a fluffy two finger head that dissipates to a thin white ring.

Smell - Exactly what you would expect from a hefeweissen: spicy bananas and cloves. The bananas are taking a backseat when compared to the lemony spiciness.

Taste - taste is similar to the smell: banana, cloves, and a little lemon. Again, there is less banana here than in I would have expected.

Mouthfeel - a little thin and carbonated, but, all in all, not that bad.

Drinkability - This is an very good session beer. Not on the same level as the Weihenstephaner, but the best American hefe I have had.

09-12-2009 21:00:45 | More by shageman331
GilmooDaddy

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a light golden, non transparent yellow in color with a two finger foam head that gradually fades into a thin, pinky width, creamy lace at the top of the beer. Bubbles cling to the sides and form a rather jumbled pattern on the surface.

(Smell): This hefeweizen has a very pronounced banana and fruity smell. I wouldn't go as far as to say purely "citrus", but more like a banana/apple smoothie kind of smell. Not subtle at all, which is great. I love a beer that makes its presence know.

(Taste): The taste is definitely one of the oddest I've had in a hefeweizen. I sense the banana nature of a typical hefe screaming to come out, but it never quite gets there. There is a bitterness that immediately strikes the tongue and lingers throughout.

(Mouthfeel): Lightly carbonated and kind of dull. I find it hard to put into words, but where most hefe's tend to be kind of wheaty and refreshing, the Kellerweis is just kind of...there.

(Drinkability): When it comes to hefeiwezen, you either make it worthy or unworthy, and theres rarely an inbetween. I'd stack this in the "No Drink" pile with Widmer and Erdinger Hefeweizen. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but for the time being, I would strongly recommended Ayinger's Brau Weisse or Haufbrau Hefeweizen over this one.

03-11-2011 23:19:15 | More by GilmooDaddy
mazstar

Australia

4.05/5  rDev 0%

This is one of the better Hefes I've tried - this variety is not a favourite of mine as it often has an overly acidic citrus tang but the SN has a sweeter, mellower taste - like the label says banana and clove.

Great example and very drinkable. So far one of my fav brewers.

09-19-2011 11:41:39 | More by mazstar
iannutter

Chile

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

I've been using BeerAdvocate for quite some time now and even though I studied in Austria (on the border of Bavaria in Salzburg), I have never written a beer review. However, during my time abroad, I honed my senses for good beer.

This hefeweizen really surprised me, because it only has a few superiors that I've encountered, even in the land of this beer type's origin, Bavaria.

As to the appearance, it appears exactly as a Hefewiezen ought to, albeit without the head retention that is so sought after in craft brewing. However, the color and cloudiness are picture perfect.

To me, the smell isn't exactly anything to write home about, but the second the beer hits the taste buds, an explosion of flavor occurs, telling a tale of citrus and a hint of cloves.

The mouthfeel is rich and velvety, exactly as an unfiltered wheat beer ought to be.

Overall, this is a great American (and therefore cheaper) alternative to the German (Bavarian) progenitors of this style.

Prost!

02-03-2012 06:43:21 | More by iannutter
MeanMotaScootah

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

A - A cloudy golden straw color, decent head.

S - Smell subtle spices and muted sweet malts.

T - This does not taste like a traditional Hef it reminds me of a belgium white ale (i.e. a
Blanche de Chambly from Unibroue) more than a Hefeweizen. I had a Pyramid Hef last week and found it a bit more enjoyable.

M - This had a decent amount of carb, others have said otherwise but it seemed like it was plenty bubbly from the pour.

O - I think this is a great tasting white ale, not a traditional Hefeweizen. It doesn't taste at all like any of the Sierra Nevada offerings, minimal hops. Good nonetheless and obvsiouly a good price.

04-27-2012 22:56:35 | More by MeanMotaScootah
IsaacmanTX

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

Somehow, the whole is over the sum of its parts on this one. I truly enjoyed this more than each of my individual category reviews revealed. Not spectacular, but definitely respectable. Warning, this is included in my first 20 reviews. apparently not enough characters...

10-20-2012 00:45:26 | More by IsaacmanTX
bshotbox

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

really do enjoy nearly everything from Sierra, these guys are awesome. I always think of beers from Sierra to be very hop forward, however they have really done well with this one. I am not a huge fan of wheat beers but they do have there place in the beer world and I would say if I was to stray from the classic German versions, this is where I would go.

11-23-2012 16:40:53 | More by bshotbox
KAVSE

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Large, silky head with barely-visible vanilla swirls inside the golden orange liquid. The aroma of sweet spice and delicate orange strikes the nose. The taste is incredibly smooth and immediately transported me back to Munich drinking a Franziskaner in the dining car to the Swiss Alps. The hop taste is very subversive and lets the spice and fruit steal the show. The most flavorful Hefeweizen I've had in the US.

08-08-2009 02:28:47 | More by KAVSE
adamb02155

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured according to directions: 2/3s into a glass, stir up yeast and pour rest.

A - Very nice gold color and a nice big, thick head on it.

S - Beer-y sweet smell. Not terrible strong but very pleasant.

T - At first tastes very much like Hoegaarden to me. But I think with less sour tones than some of the Belgians I am familiar with.

M - Very nice and light, but with a nice crisp bite on the tongue.

D - This was the perfect beer after working up a little sweat on a 90+ degree day.

08-15-2009 20:33:35 | More by adamb02155
bmillen22

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cheers to you Sierra Nevada!! Is there a style of beer that you can't do?! I was a bit suspect buying a Weiss beer from them, but they came through.
Pour- Great Color, good head.
Smell- Cloves, banana's just how it's supposed to.
taste- refreshing, cloves, banana's, sweet. Just how it's supposed to.
MF- light w/ perfect carbonation

I used to buy the imports when it came to weiss beer, but I think I found my go to Micro. Good bye Franziskaner, Hello Kellerwies!!

10-09-2009 21:19:48 | More by bmillen22
RolandoHH

Mexico

A - Pours a beautiful, light gold color. Looks amazingly refreshing. Thin white head with very little retention. No significant lacing.

S - Wheat bread comes through clearly, with some lovely, spicy clove notes.

T - Wheat, orange, clove. Good mix, with a satisfying aftertaste.

M - Very good mouthfeel. The carbonation is spot-on.

Hefeweizens aren't my normal choice, but I must say this one is exceptionally good.

11-09-2013 19:47:08 | More by RolandoHH
PaleAleHater

2.68/5  rDev -33.8%

On tap at Eli Cannon's in CT. I rushed in to fill my mug but was choked back by the hype of this lackluster brew. Mouth feel was a quick fading fuzz of fizz. The taste was nothing spectacular yet not bad; bland as bland can be. I'd rather a beer be awful than average. When I see this in a sixer at the local packy I will probably buy a couple but I highly doubt it will pack the same sparkling summer sensation as a MH Wacko or Saranac LemonAle. I was half expecting this "hef" to be overloaded with hops and tasting identically to the green-labeled ubiquitous Pale Ale like every other beer SN has ever released into the wild. I applaud a SN that isn't destroyed with the awful bitterness of hops but this brew just didn't cut it. If beers were pitchmen, this one is more like Vince Shlomi and less like Billy Mays. By that, I mean it lacks staying power and identity, specifically in the areas of overall drinkability and taste.

05-14-2009 01:10:02 | More by PaleAleHater
AleWynch

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

This hefe pours a beautiful golden blond into my duvel tulip with a pale head that sticks around and offers lovely lacing. The aroma has a malty sweetness, wheat and banana notes. The taste is very well balanced, clean (skip the lemon wedge) - light esters but not overly so. Mouthfeel is light, clean, appropriate to a hefe. Drinkability is very good, especially as the summer heat has not yet given in to autumn. SN has really done well here. I previously reached for Widmer, but SN has outdone Widmer with this one.

09-11-2009 05:10:54 | More by AleWynch
beers2danno

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer impressed me as a fine substitute for a good German Hefe since it is available at my local grocer.

A... Nice golden hazy color with lighter colored head. Decent retention.
S...cloves, bananas and yeast.
T...delicious smooth taste with German tones and yeasty flavor fairly dominant. Banana flavor matches the banana smell. Slight citrus flavor also apparent.
M...Well balanced from start to finish, medium carbonation and creamy.
D...I like this and will continue to buy it for all occassions, except when I decide to invest in the real German hefe's.

08-29-2010 18:35:29 | More by beers2danno
CTbeerboy

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

A- This was definitely an enjoyable Kellerweis. Bright yellow with a thick, foamy, 2 finger head that took for ever to leave.
S- Plenty of ripe banana notes, as well as clove and bubblegum. Really spicy (yeast strain), and almost overly floral on the bouquet.
T- This one was bright_ Lots of ripe bananas and clove, much like the smell. This is one of those beers where your sense of smell is really dead on with what you taste. Very bready and crsip as well.
M- The mouthfeel on this opne was pretty standard. Quite crisp and clean with a very dry finish. A nice contrast to all the sweet notes from the actual drinking of the beer.
O- This is definitely one to go after. It's quite pleasant and easy to find. If you don't mind the semi-strange fruit notes and strong esters, this is a beer for you.

01-27-2012 02:26:55 | More by CTbeerboy
OMills

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Nice hazy golden yellow color. Nice strong white head. Retention is quite nice. Lacing isn't too bad.

S-Not too sure if its my glass but i got a metallic note in there, but has good aroma albeit light. Faint clove and yeasty notes. Bits of fruit or something at the end.

T- A good bit of sweetness and clove upfront. A hint of banana is there. nice dry finish. It's damn good and refreshing.

M- very light and lively. I wish it had a bit more carbonation, but just an opinion. overall very drinkable.

O- while not being to familiar with the style, id say its another great beer. The score may not reflect that, but it's not too suited to my taste. I feel it a bit light in character overall. Don't get me wrong, it's great; just not that impressive.

04-22-2014 06:45:46 | More by OMills
CualityC

4.78/5  rDev +18%

In brief- this is the finest American Hefeweizen I've ever sampled.

Every summer it seems like half of America's craft breweries trot out a half-cocked Hefe and half of them some ridiculous "WitBier". Leave it to Sierra to show everyone how it's supposed to be done. The beer pours a flaxxen gold, bright and cloudy somewhere in the color spectrum between a Weihenstephaner and a Schneider-Weisse. A typically billowing white head tops the beer after a careful pour into a 20 oz. Hefe tulip glass. All in all the beer is uniformly hazy and gives off a slight glow- pardon the cliche but this beer gives off the beauty of silver lining in a cloudy sky.

The nose is all German racecar Gestalt. Spicy herbal notes mingle with clove and just a hint of farmhouse funk. First whiff announces that this is the real deal, not an imposter American Wheat Beer wearing Hefe clothing.

Taste is exceptional. In classic Sierra fashion this beer pays homage to tradition while also pushing the style forward. There's no doubt it's a Hefeweizen, but somehow it's also American, slightly bigger, slightly bolder then its Germanic counterparts.

Mouthfeel is good, though I'd say this is the one category where the American looses something to the import competition, this beer is just a little more unruly and less refined than the best Bavaria has to offer.

Kellerweis is the lays potato chip of beer, I dare you to have just one. If you're looking for an American Wheat beer by all means try a Pyramid Hefeweizen, the best of that 'style'. But if you're after the best Hefeweizen brewed in America, by all means treat yourself to a Kellerbier.

07-08-2009 06:22:56 | More by CualityC
superdudeo

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

I found this just the other day at the liquor store. I could have sworn that only a few weeks ago they had just one Sierra Nevada offering. Today they had over 6 kinds---all neatly placed next to one another in the cooler like some beautiful drunken rainbow! Great job on the presentation, Downtown Liquors!

Oh my! The head was considerable and, like Terry Francona, showed no sign of going away. After fighting through the jungle of rich foam, I was treated to an aroma of clover and banana. It was subtle, much like the hazy yellow color.

Looking back at the bottle, I saw a slim ring of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. I only mention this because when I homebrew I won't have to fight to clean off a thick ring.

The taste was light and refreshing. It wasn't light and watery like Bud Light wheat. Rather, it was light in a way that is perfect for the style. Oftentimes, hefeweizens can have a syrupy, thick feel. Sierra Nevada's was crisp and not too biscuty. Unlike most offerings by Sierra Nevada, the first sip went down as smoothly as the first. I was not expecting this from Sierra Nevada but was pleasantly surprised nevertheless. Great work!

01-15-2010 22:07:20 | More by superdudeo
davidaubrey

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer is fantastic. It might be one of the best hefeweizens available & is definitely worth the price. The only down side is how difficult it is to find where I go to school in southern Illinois. The banana flavor is not too potent; rather is a slight hint. The beer is sweet of course, like most hefeweizens. I highly recommend this hefeweizen.

08-18-2010 00:25:29 | More by davidaubrey
sayerofthelaw

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Cloudy pale yellow with a two to three finger fluffy white head. Looks very appetizing. The head dissipates quickly. Not much lacing.

S - I can smell strong banana and clove aromas, and yeast/wheat smell also. Maybe I'm smelling some citrus too as it warms up?

T - Has almost a tart citrusy taste on the back of the tongue with sweet banana on the front. I would say medium carbonation. Hardly any flavor from the alcohol, if any. This is a tasty, refreshing beer.

M - One of my favorite things about this beer. The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, it has a rich feel to it.

D - Well, I'm going to drink all six!

Overall I'm really impressed with this beer, one of the better American made hefes that I've had. Will be buying it again definitely.

02-08-2011 00:09:18 | More by sayerofthelaw
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.