Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Only the smell rated less-than-perfect with this beer (and even at that, nothing below the average). I'm continually impressed how Sierra Nevada continues to churn out top quality brews while some of the other larger craft breweries seem to fall short these days.

Appearance - straw colored and cloudy, as these hefeweizen typically are.

Smell - nothing distinctive about the smell.

Taste - I always have a difficulty discerning specific nodes, but there certainly is al ot going on. Citrusy - Yes. Hint of cloves - Yes (now that you mention it). Tastes like is comes from a legit Euro brewer - Yes.

Overall - Sierra seem to have hit the mark on the head with this German-Belgium inspired brew (I find anything labeled American-Wheat to be a bit dreadful).

No need to grab a Hoegaarden or Leffe at your local big market if you have this one at your fingertips.

davednyc, Jun 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottled 29 March 2011.

Pours a brownish medium yellow, pretty close to the color of unfiltered apple juice but a little lighter. Cloudy doesn't begin to describe it; despite being rather light in color, it's completely opaque. Fluffy white head that recedes rather quickly, leaving a bit of lacing.

Holy fruity yeast smell! Piles of almost-ripe bananas, a nice crispness. Not much spice, or anything else, really. Smells good, but I find it to be rather one-dimensional.

Taste has much more going on than the smell. Waves of mature wheat, under-ripe bananas, and a crisp almost-tart citrus flavor. Seems to fade as I make my way through the glass.

Mouthfeel is quite nice - light but creamy, with moderate carbonation. Finishes crisp and dry, but with an odd watery feeling lasting in the mouth.

A good beer, decently tasty with good complexity. Feels a tad light, and most of the glass doesn't stand up as well as the first few sips do.

zeledonia, Jun 14, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen yesterday for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. As far as wheat beers go the only one I have been drinking lately is Oberon, so I thought I would switch it up a bit and go for a Hefeweizen that I have been meaning to try for a long time. No visible freshness date. Poured from a short 12oz brown bottle into a weizen glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty plain and it is the typical mountain scenery just with a golden yellow background. It poured a hazy pale golden yellow color with a big four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed for a while then disappeared and it left some spotty lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up is a large bread and biscuit like aroma from the malts. Then I pick up that signature banana aroma I have come to expect from this style, there is usually some clove accompanying it but on this brew the cloves have been replaced with a large amount of lemon zest that makes for a somewhat unique aroma. The yeast adds some nice fruit esters and I can only smell a slight amount of grassy and earthy hops. This beer smells like a mix between a Hefeweizen and an American Pale Wheat Ale.

T- The taste follows the nose nicely and is pretty similar. I get a lot of those bready flavors from the malts that have just the right amount of sweetness to them. Just like in the aroma the bananas are the most prominent flavor and they are followed by that signature clove spice that I was afraid it wasn't going to come through but somehow it skipped the aroma but showed up in the flavor. The fruity esters from the yeast are nice and I feel like that the lemon zest sticks out the most. There was a very slight sour and bitter aftertaste that was very subdued but worked nicely with this brew.

M- Smooth, crisp, medium light bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good Hefeweizen. This beer doesn't seem like a true Hefeweizen to me, it is more like a hybrid of that and an American Pale Wheat ale, it had the banana and clove flavors from a Hefeweizen and the citrus and mouthfeel of a American Pale Wheat Ale. I liked the combination of the two styles and I won't deduct any points for it. I thought the flavors could have stuck out a little more but to me the best thing about this beer was it's drinkability, it went down really smooth and it really hit the spot after playing 18 holes of disc golf on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, this beer makes for a great summer first quencher. Usually I go for Oberon on a day like this, but I felt the need to switch things up (since I have been drinking more then my fair share of Oberon) and I am glad I did. I could see buying a six pack of this for BBQing or playing disc golf but I really can't see it becoming one of my standbys. If your a fan of wheat beers give this one a try, it's a nice refreshing brew. I guess I need to go back to the store and see what other Sierra Nevada beers I have overlooked.

StoutHunter, Jun 13, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Revisiting an old friend and giving it the review it deserves. Hazy golden yellow with plenty of fluffy white head on top make for a welcoming beer.

Doughy bread notes with a slightly fruity yeast character but not as strong as expected but plenty of clove spice notes to make up for it.

Sweet and a bit spicy but not quite as much banana flavor as some of Kellerweisses' cousins in Bavaria. Doughy bread character and even finishes with a slightly tangy note.

Smooth light bodied mouthfeel with a nice crisp bite in the finish. Overall, SN Kellerweiss is probably one of the best American versions of the style but I do find the yeast flavors to be a bit muted compared to some of the authentic Bavarian Hefes I've sampled.

Kinsman, Jun 09, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy yellow/gold color, three fingers of head and some sticky lacing. Very murky appearance, and about what I would expect from a good hef. Looks well carbonated. Smell is lots of banana, lemon, faint cloves. Taste is full of lemon and banana, not as much clove taste as in some hefs, but I like it. Very refreshing beer and perfect for summer. The taste is not gonna blow anyone away but it is very well balanced and the flavors meld together perfectly. Mouthfeel is excellent, plenty of carbonation and very crisp. Great value, easily sessionable. Good stuff.

atowle25, Jun 07, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance
A thick and murky golden colour, not much head but settles to a thin white ring around the glass leaving some lacing.

Smell
A prominent aroma of banana with some lemon zest along with yeast and some wheat. Very inviting aroma overall.

Taste
Light sweetness at the front of the mouth for a moment, quite similar to the aroma in that there is a slight banana taste, some bread yeast notes and a little wheat followed by a nice medium bitter finish.

Mouthfeel
Quite silky smooth texture, clings to the mouth well. Medium carbonation.

Overall
An excellent Hefeweizen, I'm very fond of this one. Lovely aroma, equally excellent taste and very well balanced. A great beer to savour or to have as a session. Would be wonderful in a hot day.

NATOuk, Jun 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Sessioned the hell out of these tonight.

Poured into my Franziskaner hefe glass.

Pours a murky, straw like yellow with a tone of floaties. I look forward to the floaties in my Hef's. Has a pearl white 2 finger head that fades to a 1/4" quickly and sticks around for the rest. Moderate lacing.

Oh the bananas. Great banana aroma with a slight lemon pepper and grassy smell following. Then totally taken over by the beautiful yeast.

Taste is once again loaded with bananas. Slight spice and tartness that fades to the bready crisp finish.

Incredibly sessionable. Had a 6 pack tonight in less than an hour and a half. Beautiful beer for BBQ's.

I typically don't enjoy Hef's, but this one really hot the spot. I'm glad I didn't overlook this one like I usually do. Will revisit very soon.

DearthVader, Jun 03, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Pours thick and murky golden straw color. About a 1 1/2 inch head that stays and thick lacing.

S- Banana, clove, yeast, spices

T- Simliar to the smell, you can taste the banana and cloves; lingers on the back end. Well balanced with a little bitterness at the end.

M- Smooth and velvety

Overall a very good beer. One of my favorite Hefe's.

Treyliff, Jun 01, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy golden/straw color with a decent 2 fingers of fluffy, off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly into a ring but leaves some lacing. Some yeast floats around. Nice looking beer.

Nose smells wonderful. Everything I look for in a hefe; banana, clove, maybe a hint of Cinnamon, bready yeast.

Taste follows the nose closely. Lots of banana bread, a bit of spice and clove, and wheat. Super tasty.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth. Decent carbonation. Pretty crisp and refreshing. Perfect for a hot day.

Overall this is probably one of my favorite Hefeweizens. It's pretty standard for the style, but it has a ton of banana, which I love. Super enjoyable and session-able. One of my go-to beers in the warmer months. Definitely recommended.

cjoc83, May 31, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Very hard to get all the yeast off the bottom of this one. Have only got it all once. Will have to refine my practice.

A: Nice fluffy, slightly off-white, 2 finger head. Like a cloud. Pretty good lacing, sticks for what seems like forever even though the head disappears fairly quickly. Not a lot of carbonation. Great color and haziness. Looks like pear juice. Beautiful looking beer! Sexy!

S: Big banana aroma with nice lemony citrus behind it. Nice yeasty bread scent. Definitely wheat.

T: Great banana flavor. First I've really gotten in a Hefe. Nice subtle sweetness. Lemon right behind it. Little sourness. Little wheat. Finishing with a very mild bitterness.

M: Kinda thick. Don't know if full bodied or medium. Very creamy feel. Nice.

O: Almost done and still lacing on the glass. Overall a very beautiful beer. Great for a hot summer day. Goes down easy. Look out or you'll be through a 6-pack before you know it. Easily my favorite Hefe if not my favorite overall beer. Definitely give it a shot.

doughanson78, May 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

I paid $1.79 for a single 12 oz bottle at Total Wine.

This poured a pure gold color with an off-white head that was thin and quick to recede to the thinnest blanket and ring.

The suspended yeast was obvious from top to bottom of the glass and formed whitish ribbons amidst the golden brew. I personally found this a bit off putting but it is a matter of preference.

The bottle label was on the mark when it described banana, there was some spice present as well - bready.

There was a carb tingle up front and clear banana bread in the middle and end.

The mouthfeel was a little thin and too high on carbonation.

Overall, a good value in an interesting hefe featuring a good bit of obvious banana.

BelgiumBill, May 30, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale straw/golden with a 2-3 finger white fluffy head.

Lots of sweetness with a fruity aroma in the background.

First thing I notice is a fruity (banana) taste upfront followed by a subtle malt sweetness. A standard hefe and very enjoyable.

Very typical for the style. Light bodied with high amounts of carbonation.

There are some (in my opinion) really stand-out beers from Sierra Nevada (Torpedo for example) but if there's one thing they know how to do and do well, it's making "textbook" beers. If you're interested in learning what a certain style taste like, see if Sierra Nevada makes one. While they are solid, tasty and very enjoyable, they just aren't memorable after they're gone.

CrookedStill, May 28, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Monster head on a straw yellow, opaque beer. Head dissipates incredibly slowly.

S: Kinda dissapointed by the head, was expecting more. Really just notes of of grass, hay wheat here.

T: Banana goodness up front with some zesty bite (yeast i presume), nice wheaty mid taste and then a crisp finish. There really is a lot going on here, some nuttiness throughout, grassy too.

M: High carbonation, med-full bodied.

O: Decent hefe, was expecting a little more from sierra nevada though.

jiggahertz, May 27, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle poured into a glass.

Appearence - As is befitting the style this is a very hazy color akin to lightly toasted wheat. It started with a nice thick head that subsided to about an 1/8" with nice lacing.

Smell - This has a very inviting smell. You definately catch a nutty banana smell with just a hint of of roasted nuttines.

Taste - I really, really enjoy the taste of this offering. You do get the banana tones but I get more of a walnut toastiness. The banana bread comments from other reviewers are pretty right on. It is very smooth, and very drinkable. On a hot day you could go through a few of these pretty easily.

Mouthfeel - Nice mouthfeel, perhaps just a tad on the thin side.

Travix1516, May 26, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. Bottle had a lot/date stamp on the label, but what it meant was not obvious to me.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow - glows a bit when held up to the light. Not all the yeast sediment got in even with a vigorous pour. Not much of a head on this one for a Hefeweizen - thin white head with little islands of lacing. Nice color - disappointing head.

Smell: Mild banana, cloves. Strongest when first poured - became a bit milder as it warmed up.

Taste: This is a good tasting beer. Banana and clove + wheat flavor all well blended together with a sweet middle and then a crisp finish. I wonder what it would be like with all of the sediment transferred. Regardless - tasty and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with some carbonation on the tongue. Doesn't linger on the teeth or palate.

Overall / Drinkability: A good beer - I could have another and even a larger one in a proper Hefeweizen glass. I think I need to try it again with a much better swirl during pouring to catch all the yeast sediment and then try it again. Despite that - a very tasty beer.

damndirtyape, May 20, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. 4.8% ABV. I followed the serving instructions - "pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest."

Appearance: I'm giving a half a point extra for the bottle design. I have come to appreciate Sierra Nevada's "classic" label art with each new beer of theirs I try. Pours a very cloudy body with a thick white head that takes a while to recede. Lots of sediment floating around.

Smell: Banana and cloves up front. Smells very sour, my nose is puckering!

Taste: Great banana flavor up front and in the aftertaste. Sour hefeweizen flavor. Very representative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a full-bodied brew. Thick, rich mouthfeel with no carbonation to speak of.

Overall: I really like this, but too sour to make it a sessionable beer in my opinion. I'm glad this is a year-round release however, as I will turn to this whenever I want to mix it up a little. As good as any classic German hefeweizen in my opinion!

JednoPivoProsim, May 17, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

It's a nice opaque gold. Little bit of lace and no foam. Unfiltered. Smell is of citrus and hops. Banana opens up the taste. A little malty and wheat-ish. Just a hint of citrus sweet. Balanced perfectly with a killer hop and clove finish that cools. Crisp. Smooth with a little carbonation bite that pairs well with the hop and clove ending. Not as full-bodied as I typically prefer my hefes, but a god-tier beer for summer.

nicksta, May 17, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

A. Poured a finger and a half of a light looking head that quickly dissipated to a light coat. Pleasant murky gold color.

S. Has a nice crisp smell, almost pilsneresque. I get wheat and yeast, with a bit of banana and some clove.

T. First impression is a banana flavor, slightly sweet but no sweet enough to be true to the fruit itself. Transitions into a quick taste of hops before flowing into a malty wheat taste. Ends up with a little hint of bitterness and yeast before a clove finish.

M. Medium carbonation, medium bodied beverage. Honestly not spectacular in my opinion, it's not bad, it just doesn't make much of itself.

O. Overall a good beer, doesn't live up to some of it's European cousins, but it's the best American take on the style I've had to date.

CFHMagnet, May 17, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer pours a nice light gold. The yeast leaves a good murkiness to the color. It builds a good two finger head which has good retention.
The smell certainly announces banana and yeast.
The taste up front has a lot of this banana flavor. In the middle the yeast takes charge and combines a little malty flavors into the palette. At the end some citrus notes and the clove finish the beer of.
A great summer beer, very drinkable and a good cousin of it's German relatives.

Hopfenpeter, May 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle drank out of a half liter unmarked weizen glass. this isnt my first time trying this beer.

A- this one pours out a pretty standard color for the style. its a cloudy pale golden color with a solid finger of bright white head on top. the head has decent retention and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- the nose in this is also pretty standard for the style. decently spicy with clove. lots of banana-y yeast and bubblegum. malted wheat.

T- the taste starts out with the malted wheat and yeast that i could smell. the yeast has a strong banana like flavor. the spiciness from the clove plays nicely off this and doesnt overpower anything.

M- the body is a solid medium and the carbonation is just about right. very smooth.

O- a very drinkable beer at a sessionable strength. i really enjoyed this american version of a bavarian classic. ill be checking this one out again.

jwinship83, May 17, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

A hazy banana cream pie yellow color with a meringue like head of fluffy white foam.

Heavy wheat smell with an addition of lemon zest and clove.

Banana cream pie, crust included, along with lemony citrus and clove. Nice complexity and depth of flavor.

Very creamy mouthfeel. Light-medium feel, very smooth and very dry.

Awesome example of the style. One of the best I've had. I will have to reach for more of this with the approaching of summer.

jera1350, May 15, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

A: cloudy yellow.. huge head I got in my weizen glass.. head is beautiful & sticks around..

S: sweet ripe bananas.. touch of breadiness with some clove.. mild spiciness..

T: sweet banana upfront.. then the spiciness to mix it up.. finish has a clove like taste with just a touch of grassy hops..

Mf: perfect carbonation & a easy going light body..

O: a fantastic american hefe!

aval89, May 15, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

A strong offering in this style for an American brew.

Kellwerwies is a spicy, clove, banana filled bomb of a wheat beer with all the flavor and more that you could ever ask for.

Pours with a generous head and it holds decent.

SMell is citrus and clove.

Taste is clove, citrus, banana, and sugar with just a touch of hop bitterness.

Great beer!

This is easily a top 5 American Hefe.... EASILY.

I'm very impressed. This won't be a favorite for beer joe-smoes that can't appreciate a big tasting low abv wheat... but I'm impressed. Especially for something so accessible and affordable(7.99 a six) in my area.

A great go-to hefe for the experienced beer palate. WIth a wheat ber I want something that lingers in my mouth for hours... and this does.... a solid B.

witster18, May 15, 2011
4.05/5  rDev 0%

A: Hazy and sunshine yellow with a generous--although not as large as many of the style--head; lacing is evident in well-spaced, good-looking rings circulating the glass

S: Lots of lemon and banana on top of a subtle grassy and grainy quality, but boy is there a yeasty quality here--it actually tickles the nostrils

T: Typical hefeweizen banana and cloves with some lemon citrus and pepper shining through; a nice solid grainy malt backbone holds this together; the beer does fade a bit quickly on the back end

F: Nice mouth feel up front but as the beer moves toward the back it thins and dissipates too quickly leaving the mouth a bit dry

O: This is a very well-done hefeweis and pretty true to the style; definitely one of the better American versions available

dbossman, May 14, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Cloudy straw yellow with a nice thick white head. About an inch or so. Rapidly dissipates to a ring around the glass. Great banana scent, fruit, citrus and a light clove. First taste is citrus and banana with clove. Banana remains prominent throughout. Mouthfeel is medium to light. Generally one of my favorite hefewizens. Highly recommended.

Kbogac, May 13, 2011
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.