Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle from Utah State store. Poured into a goblet, as I do not have a weizen glass.

Appearance: Hazy darkish yellow, with a frothy one finger head that settled down to some foam.

Smell: Yeasty with some banana and other spiciness. There is some graininess also in the smell.

Taste: The yeast characteristics dominate the palate with the grainy wheat right behind. The clove and banana spiciness is also apparent. There is a bit of lemon character also present.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer really shines. The suspended yeast create a first rate velvety texture in the mouth and when combined with the carbonation, make for a really superb experience.

Overall: A very solid beer at a nice price point. I will have many more of these again.

kagent777, Apr 10, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Poured a funky, extremely cloudy dark yellow color... about the color of a manilla envelope. It came with a very robust, pillowy white head that quickly faded into darkness.

S: Banana, cloves, yeast... all rolled up into a very balanced cocofony. The spices almost stung my nose!

T: Packed with yeasty flavor! The same spices I got on the nose only more intensified. I think I got a bit of coriander in there as well. Nothing lingered on the finish.

M: The spices attacked the taste buds while the Sprite-like carbonation soothed the palate. Just enough sweetness to be dangerous and keep this from having absolutely no bitter elements whatsoever.

O: I can only think of maybe a handful of beer that can pack this much flavor into one with only a 4.8% ABV. Awesome warm weather beer!

Chaney, Apr 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A slow pour yields a 3-finger supple white head atop a hazy golden straw-colored body with an unstoppable torrent of rising bubbles. The head diminishes over time, but retains about a 1/4 inch covering. Lacing is minimal.

Pretty standard wheat and yeast aromas here. A little clove and golden delicious apple. Good, strong, pleasing aromas.

Tart lemony yeast immediately strikes the tip of the tongue. A light wheat flavor washes over the rest of the tongue.

Medium bodied with great carbonation, this beer has excellent drinkability (as any hefeweizen should).

I would have preferred the flavors to be a little bolder. More yeast would have been nice. However, I must admit that Kellerweis is probably the best American Hefeweizen I've ever had.

output01x, Apr 06, 2011

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a weizen glass.

Slightly hazy yellow body with a fluffy white. The head drops to a thin layer over the beer after a couple of minutes leaving thick lacing. The usual hefeweizen suspects are in the aroma, cloves and a little banana. Sweet pale wheat malt flavor with a little more emphasis on the banana.

BierFan, Apr 06, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Very atypical versus many hefeweizens. The look is good, with its unfiltered body, and big head with yeast contained. The smells gives off some of your typical hefe aromas, spice, clove banana, and wheat but there a very tart aroma and taste in there that's reminiscent of apple or grape peel. Hops take a half step back in this one, adding just a little spice to the beer. Not bad, but not my favorite.

wcintula, Apr 04, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 10 oz. glass.

A: Pours a cloudy but pale yellow with average carbonation. Good sized soft head that reduced very slowly.

S: Light hint of citrus with wheat grains.

T: Starts with a good wheat taste but quickly changes over to bananas. A hint of lemons.

M: Very light and citrusy - typical of a lot of wheats. A bit of sweetness.

O: Very nice beer. Good light taste. The strong bananas may not be for some. For a change of pace this is a good choice for me.

mpcrump, Apr 04, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass Pours a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. A frothy white head of tiny bubbles sits and slowly reduces.

Has a yeasty, grainy smell of wet straw and grass, slightly herby, with a hint of lemon.

Has a lemony, grassy taste, slighlty herbaceous and woody, with a tang to finish. Somewhat crisp and clean, especially for a wheat beer.

Light bodied, with a slight creamy texture that does not take away from its crispness. The tang of the carbonation hits the back of the throat and tonsils on the way down.

I am not the biggest fan of wheat beers, but I could see downing a few of these on a hot summer day. Too bad, however, it is a cloudy, cold day!

TheHoppiest, Apr 03, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance - Thick white head with good retention. Clear straw body.

Smell - Mild citrus, slightly state and cardboard like.

Taste - Mild flavor. Citrus rind. No off flavors, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - Smooth.

Overall Drinkability - Good, if a bit boring.

ZenAgnostic, Apr 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured cloudy light yellow, frothy head with curtains of lace

Yeast and clove in the smell, faint grain note

Banana and clove notes in the taste, pretty classic. Lacking the little something extra though

Lively carbonation, smooth mouthfeel

A perfectly nice example of the style. I'll pick it up again if I see it.

Strix, Apr 02, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours dark golden, almost opaque, one finger head, doesn't linger too long. Poured half, swirled, poured another quarter and swirled again to get all the yeast out.

Smell: a lot going on - typical banana and cloves for a wheat/hefeweizen, wheaty/grainy

Taste: citrus/banana, malt & biscuit undertones

Mouthfeel: light to medium, fizzy w/ a bit of alcohol

Drinkability: great flavor, I thought it smelled a little skunky at first, but i think it was just hte combination of smells that I was getting. Goes down nice and smoooth, would drink 2 or maye three at the most. High quality, not for chugging or drinking a whole six pack.

lawlerj, Mar 31, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a golden yellow with great white fluffy head.

The smell is of lemon and grass.

The taste is of bready lemon, lots of lemon. I dont pick up any banana and very little clove or herby flavors.

The mouth feel is amazing, nice and creamy.

A great summer beer but there are others in the style that I prefer.

Eriktheipaman, Mar 29, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen, 4.8% alcohol poured into Weizen glass.

A- Pours a highly hazed golden colored fluid with a medium head that falls to a froth and ring around the glass. Decent lacing forms a distorted ring but sticks. In the light it looks as if the beer is sunny but has a heavy fog all around.

S- Smells of fresh cut bananas strait off the vine with hints of musty yeast and vanilla cream.

T-M- Taste is creamy with a banana milkshake coming to mind. Light all spice flavors hide behind the banana but are there with light clove. Easy to drink with a meduim carbonation and creamy feel makes this beer a winner in my book.

Great beer for session drinking.

wesbrownyeah, Mar 28, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Hazy Golden Yellow with great head and good retention

Smell: Banana notes and maybe a little citrus

Taste: Sweet. Bananas and yeast. It's sort of like the beer skips the early taste and goes straight for the middle and the end. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with good carbonation.

Overall: Overall a pretty good hefe. I feel like it's missing something though or the balance is a bit off.

thatlongname, Mar 24, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Served from bottle into a nonic glass at the Winking Lizard.

A- Hazy golden color with one finger of soapy white head.

S- Strong banana and almost bubblegum like notes.

T- Strong banana and bubblegum notes throughout with a nice amount of spiciness to keep it from being too sweet. Also some bready and yeasty notes throughout as well.

M- Highly carbonated with a medium body

O- Highly drinkable beer with good balance and very refreshing.

Hoptometrist, Mar 21, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a lovely golden wheat color with some cloudiness, all expected from a hefe.

Taste smells of banana and cloves. For some reason I've never been a big fan of the hefe smells so much as i like the taste.

Taste comes through as bananas and clove with a touch of wheatiness (it could use some more of that wheatiness to balance it out.)

Mouthfeel is effervescent and very refreshing. I'm really going to give this one a second go when it gets warmer.

Overall a good beer but not knock your socks off good. It seems to be missing a citrus element that would make it better for me. I could add a lemon wedge but I hate to ruin a good beer. I may have to pick up some more and do some research.

ntatum, Mar 21, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

I respect Sierra Nevada as a brewery. I believe they are one of the best in this country and should be looked at as an example of great American beer. Saying that, I was a little disappointed in this german style offering. I really wanted a great hefe with notes of banana and clove in the aroma and flavor and this was a little tame - which most American hefeweizens can be, with the exception of Long Trail. This beer was expertly crafted, very refreshing and sessionable, clean in finish, and was free of major flaws: it just didn't make me go WOW.

alexkeil, Mar 21, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Tried pouring a weissbier into a snifter instead of a weiss glass for a change.

1 inch head that disappears rather quickly. It smelled of stronger of alcohol than I'm used to from a weissbier. Strong bread and banana flavors present right away.

Sierra Nevada hit the style dead on, and made improvemets on it when compared to other German and Belgian counterparts.

VncentLIFE, Mar 21, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

My favorite Heffe so far. My wife's second favorite only to New Belgium's Mothership.

The thing that is outstanding about this Heffe is how well balanced it is. It has the perfect balance between the clove/spice, banana, and bubblegum tendencies of the beligian yeast both in the aroma and taste. Add a touch of citrus, lemon and orange, a good grainy wheat base and a light, refreshing, clean body with just a touch of creaminess. It pours a nice creamy head with great retention and beautiful lace. A very nice, refreshing summertime drink. Fruity with spice, crisp and clean. Awesome.

JayS2629, Mar 20, 2011

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a nice fluffy 2 finger foam head, which lingers. Also leaves intricate lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Cloves dominate the smell, along with a reminder of Dubble Bubble gum

T - Taste is clove, banana, and orange rind. A little bit of the bublle gum makes it's way into the taste as well.

M - Good amount of carbnation, full bodied, with a nice aftertaste

O - Great beer for working in the yard in the spring/summer, relatively light so it doesnt bog me down, but plenty of flavor to make me want to reach for another.

jman892, Mar 20, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into my Dundee weizen glass...

A- The perfect hefeweizen... Very hazy but a nice bright orange/golden color that pours a giant fluffy head and just sits there for almost the entire drinking session. The color gradient (due to the changing thickness of the glass) was just phenomenal and made me want to frame a picture of this beer, really.

S- Very nice hefeweizen aroma. A lot of clove and spice in the nose. Not as banana-y as others, but I do get a nice fruity aroma maybe green apple (not acetelaldehyde [sp?]) though. Overall great yeasty aroma.

T/M- I love this beer. Very similar in taste to the smell but the flavor is just a bit lighter this year than I remember from this in the past. It's still great, just not quite as pronounced as my memory serves. There is more banana in the taste than the smell alludes. Those esters are balanced with the clove phenols produced by the Bavarian yeast. Something that is hard to come by, but I love is the bubble gum flavor you can find in few hefeweizens, and I think this one pulls it off nicely- subtle, but nice. The mouth is very silky smooth medium bodied with a medium-high carbonation level... very drinkable.

O- I took notes last night with drinkability in mind, but now that this is my overall impression not much will change. I think this is a beautifully crafted hefeweizen- the BEST American brewed IMO. One of my favorite Sierra Nevada offerings (yeah, I said that) because it is so complex, yet delicate. I am the type to continually try new beers; but this one keeps me coming back AT LEAST once a year...

TheGordianKnot, Mar 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color, with a thick creamy head.

Smell: Spicy, with a distinct banana undertone.

Taste: The taste wasn't exactly what I expected. I don't have much experience with heffeweizens, so the banana in the background took a little getting used to. Definitely not bad though.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm still not sure what to make of this. I could see how one could put a few of these away, but I'm not yet sure if they're my thing. I still have the remainder of a six pack, so I'll see whether I change my mind.

livewire05, Mar 15, 2011

312th review on BA
bottle to weizen

App- A hazy flowing from dark to light, orange to yellow. One finger quick receding head. A little minimal cling.

Smell- Big of spice of clove with yes I did get the banana after reading the bottle with a little seemed to me funk.

Taste- I don't normally like hef's but this was good. Big, spicy and well done. Balanced flavors with a kick.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level. Very resounding clove after taste.

Drink- I'd have this one again. Good beer, refreshing and tasty.

FosterJM, Mar 14, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a light golden, non transparent yellow in color with a two finger foam head that gradually fades into a thin, pinky width, creamy lace at the top of the beer. Bubbles cling to the sides and form a rather jumbled pattern on the surface.

(Smell): This hefeweizen has a very pronounced banana and fruity smell. I wouldn't go as far as to say purely "citrus", but more like a banana/apple smoothie kind of smell. Not subtle at all, which is great. I love a beer that makes its presence know.

(Taste): The taste is definitely one of the oddest I've had in a hefeweizen. I sense the banana nature of a typical hefe screaming to come out, but it never quite gets there. There is a bitterness that immediately strikes the tongue and lingers throughout.

(Mouthfeel): Lightly carbonated and kind of dull. I find it hard to put into words, but where most hefe's tend to be kind of wheaty and refreshing, the Kellerweis is just kind of...there.

(Drinkability): When it comes to hefeiwezen, you either make it worthy or unworthy, and theres rarely an inbetween. I'd stack this in the "No Drink" pile with Widmer and Erdinger Hefeweizen. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but for the time being, I would strongly recommended Ayinger's Brau Weisse or Haufbrau Hefeweizen over this one.

GilmooDaddy, Mar 11, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The Pour was a hazy amber yellow with an average (1-2 finger) white foamy head that lasted throughout and produced fair streaky lacing.

The aroma was a light grain malt and a mild doughy yeast with notes of banana, citrus (lemon), a bit of coriander and a hint of vanilla.

The taste was slightly bitter and rather yeasty with a hint of citrus pretty much throughout, with the finish having a slight spiciness towards the end. The flavor was short lived with a mild citrusy yeast taste fading quickly from the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a thin creamy texture and a medium carbonation.

Overall this was a really good Hefeweizen, with a nice creamy yeasty taste and a good drinkability. This is a brew that I will definitely drink again, especially on one of those extremely hot summer days...

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -3%

A - a hazy bright golden yellow with a white, pillowy head.
S -bready yeast, light banana and light citrus fruits.
T - bready and slightly sweet, light cloves on the finish.
M - well carbonated, creamy. A full-bodied Hefeweizen.
D - A delicious example and one of the best American Hefeweizens I've had. A spring and summer outdoor sipper.

dbmernin83, Mar 09, 2011
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.