Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Oh, what would we do without quality wheat beer? This beer brings one over just with the aroma. The clove and banana gets the mouth watering from the word go. Next after inpecting the hazy, yet intrigueing chalky amber coloring, you get the real gift; the taste.
A little spice goes a long way to make this enjoyable but not overpowering. It is very light on the palate, and perfect for warm weather drinking. By a 6-er and head out to the porch!

JK4Stout, May 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is beautifully cloudy with yeast. Has a fair head that lingers for a bit.

Smell: Nice wheat aroma with the typical hints of banana and clove, and I seemed to notice a tad of what reminded me of bubblegum.

Taste: Great, refreshing wheat flavor with a bit of banana flavor. Has a mild citrus bite.

Mouthfeel: Has a fair body from yeast.

Drinkability: Excellent. One of the better American versions of this kind of beer.

civilizedpsycho, May 30, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Slightly hazy pale golden body. Head retains for quite some time. Carbonation appears to be very prevalent.

S - As I would hope: Very wheaty, clove and banana action.

T - Spicy, fruity esters mixed with some pale wheat. Generally sweet but modest in the approach.

M - Smooth and light.

D/Notes - Low ABV and lighter body permits easy consumption. Probably the first time I've tasted a REAL hefeweizen. I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. Sierra Nevada: You continue to impress.

animalchin, May 29, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into Ayinger Wheat glass/bottled in January of 2010

A- pours a clear dark yellow until the yeast gets incorporated and it becomes cloudy; great 3 finger head that slowly dissipates to a 1/4 inch layer of foam; not a whole lot of lacing

S-slight amount of clove and banana; some grassy oily notes and wheat

T-not as sweet as some german brews; the banana/clove character isn't as strong, has some grassy/wheat

M-very smooth; the aftertaste is slightly sweet at first, but then leaves a dry almost bitter finish

D-low alcohol and not overly powering on the palate, you could drink a few of these on hot summer days-great bbq beer

scottyb88, May 29, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz bottle at The Dish in Ormond Beach, FL. Served in a flute glass more suitable for a witbier than a hefeweizen. Review from notes taken shortly after tasting.

A: hazy orange with golden yellow hues and a thick cap of frothy, cream white head.
S & T: ripe banana, clove, bubble gum, nutmeg, wheat malt, and a floral, citrus hop spice to end. The flavour is more robust than you'd expect for a 4.8% beer, and I can see why this is so highly rated.
M: soft, crisp, spicy and thirst quenching. Straightforward but spot on for the style.
D: certainly something you could drink continuously on a summer afternoon, and the ABV accommodates sessioning. Another great beer from Sierra Nevada. I have yet to try a bad or mediocre offering from their lineup.

cratez, May 28, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeast, with some nice spice notes. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, yeasty, grassy, with some spice notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew, but I've had way better.

Wasatch, May 26, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle poured into a weizen glass.

I was a little confused going into this beer. Without reading the fine (actually not so fine, it was pretty big) print, I assumed this would be an unfiltered lager. Not so. It's a hefe, and it really does fit the category.

A- A moderate pour after a bottle swirl left a 2-finger, off-white head taht settles to about 1/2 finger and leaves good rings. The body was a hazy, golden-yellow.

S- It had a pretty decent banana and clove aroma I'd expect from a traditional hefe. It wasn't super strong, but it's repping the traditional scents quite well. Some lemon-like qualities come through later in the drink.

T- There was a solid punch of citrus at first taste (lemon). The clove-like quality comes through a little lighter. Any banana flavor is lost in the citrus.

M- The wheat component creates the smooth, soft feel. Carbonation is solid, but effervescent not biting. There is just a touch of a bite from the citrus. Also a bit of graininess (all to the good for this style).

D- It's a good warm weather drinker and one of the better American versions of the style. Not quite up to the "authentic" German counterparts, but something I'd drink again.

GRPunk, May 24, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

I poured into a pint glass to two fingers of white head. It is yellow in color and cloudy. The smell is the typical banana and cloves. The taste is the same. It is a good beer but I just happened to have had an exceptional hefeweizen earlier in the week so this one just seems average.

buschbeer, May 23, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

Well, I must say this isn't what I expected from a hefeweizen.
Pours a nice looking hefe, golden slightly hazy body, semi-bright. Nice foam, white a fluffy.
Aroma contains most of what is looked or in a hefe, but with an added creamed corn funk. The citrus and banana are overwhelmed.
Taste is a bit all over the place. Weak biscuit/malt core, some spice and clove mixed in. Very soft/fain banana. I still get the sweet, cream corn. Not the best aftertaste either. It's light, so fairly drinkable, but misses the mark for me.

Mebuzzard, May 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Hazy pale yellow in color with a hint of orange. Sticky white head that fades quickly leaving behind a collage of sticky lace.
Loads of bananna and clove in the aroma.
Taste follows the aroma pretty well. Pale and wheat backbone with tons of bananna and clove flavors. This is a very tasty Hefe.
Silky mouthfeel. Medium bodied.
Very drinkable. This is a go to beer for the summertime.

wcudwight, May 20, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer came highly recommended so I decided to try it. I am generally not a big fan of hefeweizen but I love beer so here goes.

I opted for my Fin Du Monde tulip as a a receptacle for the 12oz bottle. I followed the directions on the bottle and swirled the yeast into the beer as I poured it making for a hazy yellow beer with a bone-white head.

Banana and wheat make up the nose. Not a lot of complexity but it is clean and not overly sweet or yeasty.

The taste is tart and slightly sweet with a tangy aftertaste. There is not much in the way of hoppy character but that is to be expected.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp with strong carbonation.

This beer is quite refreshing and tasty. I have finally found a wheat beer that doesn't make me unhappy I spent money on it.

Slainte.

meeekyh, May 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a pale cloudy yellow color with a big fluffy white head that falls slow. Some light sticky lace down my glass but not as much as i was expecting.

Aroma is nice wheat malts ripe bananas some earthy yeasts, clove. Touches of light fresh cut grass and light spice.

Taste is nice CO2 and spice upfront then ripe banana almost over ripe like banana pudding rushes in. Finish is lingering banana sweetness, cloves, and light grassy hops mingled with earthy yeasts.

Mouthfeel is medium nice and smooth.

Drinkability is good really enjoying this one.

mntlover, May 17, 2010

Absolutely stunning upon pouring. Beautiful hazy yellow orange with enormous, fluffy white head.

Aroma was soft with fruit and spice. Flavor comes close to some good European hefes - perhaps a bit more fruit forward, mild clove detected as well. The fruitiness finds mingled notes of apple, banana, and pear.

The feel is substantial yet perhaps a bit too spritzy. Great drinkability - very good beer!

NatetheGreat, May 17, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured a hazy pale yellow. Two finger head with some lacing.

Smells of some wheat and citrus. Maybe bannana and some cloves, also a faint lemony smell.

Taste starts out sweet. Can taste a combo of bannana and clove, but faint. Kind of in the background. I get the wheaty essence showing through. Very smooth and tasty. By far the best american wheat beer I have ever had.

Finish is smooth and balanced.

Could drink these all day long. Simply the best Heffe I have found from an American beer company.

IBU99, May 16, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Slightly cloudy and feint golden hues, good sturdy head with some lacing.

S: I picked up mango in there somewhere... maybe because I have been eating some lately. Also has some nice banana and a little esters, with clove.

T: Taste is really better than aroma. Sweet wheat beer on the initial sip, then the complexity starts to build with the spices and fruit.

M: Very nice, crisp and light for a wheat beer.

D: Very, very drinkable wheat beer. One of the best American efforts I have tried in a long time.

bdupree, May 15, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Force poured into a 20 oz. nonic pint glass. Please forgive me for noy using a proper Hefe glass, as I noprmally would if they al weren't dirty and I'm too lazy right now).

I could have poured this into a Mason jar and still gave it high marks. Perfect 2 1/2" thick, foamy bright white head sits atop a hazy, cloudy glowing yellow golden liquid. Looks about perfect, really. Sliding rings and lines of lace sporadically down the glass.

Yeasty esters are apparent, but the usual suspects, (clove, banana, bubble gum & lemon zest) seem a bit muted. I do get a nice fresh wheat husk scent that is quite earthy and just a tad skunky (in a good way).

Here's where the rubber hits the road... The flavor translates perfectly from what the nose gave out. Just read above and you'll see what I'm talking about. There is a little more lemon sourness as I take a few big quaffs (the only way to drink a wheat bear IMHO). There's that 'yard' flavor that sits between skunky and farmy. Good, just not what I'd expect in a Hefeweissen.

Mouthfeel is fluffy, perfectly carbonated and halfway between light-med. The finish is clean with a lilttle yeasty coating.

Drinkability is quite good. I'd offer this as a gateway beer to Bavarian Hefes.

Overall it's quite a looker. Unfortunately my palate has been finely tuned (and spoiled) by the likes of Weihenstepahaner, Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, Michael Plank, New Glarus, etc. So I've got the snobbiest threshold for true Hefeweissens. The texture is spot-on and it feels quite good. The smell & flavor are a bit one-dimensional, but are very good in a 'standard' kind of way. I would not turn one of these done, but I'd reach for one of the aforemention German counterparts (except new Glarus) if I had the choice. I definitely would like to try this on tap to see if it shines a bit more though.

malty, May 14, 2010

The best tasting american Brewed Wheat Beer I have had thus far, and I am a huge wheat beer fan. This beer has a perfect cloudy appearance, and tastes great, nice and malty. You can definately identify the banana and clove taste, but in a good way, very faint bitter aftertaste. If you had ever had Palanor which is a German import beer, this beer tastes like a milder flavor of that.

jgbuff, May 14, 2010

Hmmm...this is pretty good. I don't think I've ever experienced the "clove" flavor in a hefe as much as I have in this. The banana factor was jacked here, too, and I briefly wondered whether or not they used banana extract to achieve that taste. Yeah.

Anyway, it poured possibly cloudier than any other weiss I can remember, and it looked spectacular. I was startled. About a two-digit thick head, looking good. Sunny, amber color, very nice.

Kept getting a tinge of sour at the back of my tongue with each sip, though it didn't hurt. The banana and clove were bustin'. I've often had the banana notes, but never so much the clove.

I do have to place this, though, a close 3rd or 4th behind a couple of the PA hefes I love out here (Stoudt's, Troegs', Sly Fox). Still, an excellent drink. As good as the hype. Nicely done, SN.

Bouleboubier, May 14, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

serving: 12 oz bottle

It pours a cloudy, blonde color. Nice, white head, two fingers high. Lots of carbonation with small bubbles of carbonation throughout the beer. Smell is very pleasant with banana and clove tones. Taste is smooth. First to hit is the banana and cloves. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, smooth feel. Drinkability is excellent. Overall, a very good American version of a German classic!

runner72, May 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Kellerweis pours a hazy ochre with a good off white head. Aromas of yeast and spice are very strong. Taste is a complex array of yeast, spices, light clove, orange peel and a slightly tangy sour lemon in the back of the throat. Mouthfeel is slightly thin watery feel at first and a highly carbonated and foamy finish.

This is a great tasting hefeweizen. It's complex in taste but the sharp carbonation is very distracting when I would like a more bready feeling. It's refreshing to drink but I don't think more than two on a hot day and one any other time.

Bfarr, May 14, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a hazy, wheaty colour. Cannot see through the haze. Nice looking beer. Scents of yeast and wheat shine through. Tastes very crisp, yet lacking some clovey flavour, which I like in hefeweizens. Smooth on the palate. Very clean. A bit thin. Nice beer, needs some "tweaking".

bigdeuce, May 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a dark golden wheat color, head was white and bubbly, decent thickness. Aroma was very apparent. A mix of sweet wheat, cloves, and bananas. Taste was similar to the aroma. A good amount of sweetness, but different kinds (banana and wheat). Clove taste was there going down. Good carbonation and body. Overall excellent taste and drinkability.

Evocatus, May 11, 2010

Not gonna waste your time with the flavors and ingredients....the bottle does a fine job of letting you know what's what. So what is this beer? Simply put, it's to wheat beer what Sour Diesel is to glaucoma medication...THE DANKEST BATCH!! Can't say enough about the quality of this hefeweizen. It's like drinking pure sunshine.

HeroicDoses, May 10, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

A hazy yellow brew with a hint of orange. A white head that leaves little lacing.

The smell is much what you expect from a wheat beer, fruits, lemon and banana, some yeast and grassy tones, spices like allspice and clove.

An initial sweetness, nearly ripe green grapes, the spices.

Medium high carbonation, watery and refreshing.

A good substitute for lemonade, less sweet and more taste.

On tap, sampled at beer tasting.

rarbring, May 08, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from the 12. oz brown bottle into a Weizen glass.

Kellerweis appears a brilliant hazy gold, with hints of copper and orange. The head is rather attractive at first, then mellows down to the sides with decent lacing.

The nose is spot in the banana and clove departments, with some nice citrusy notes as well. The aromas on this one are what I look for in a hefe, but there's nothing extra as far as I can tell.

Taking my first sip, I get a pleasant tangy flavour, followed by wonderful spice and bananas, with a sweet, slightly drying finish followed by apple and pear flavors. There's just enough hop bitterness at the end for me. Quite tasty.

The mouthfeel could be slightly better, maybe a little smoother, but the carbonation is absolutely perfect. In fact, the carbonation makes this one really drinkable.

This is a quite a nice Hefe, and is now my go-to hefe when I can't get to the beer store, or don't feel like spending that much dough. Good on you, SN!

ThePortlander, May 05, 2010
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.