Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint.

This one poured a straw amber color and built a nice, foamy head that last a few minutes. Not much lacing to this one either. Not much sediment in the bottle or glass and relatively clear.

Smells strongly of lemony spices and is reminiscent of some Belgian Pale Ales actually. Pleasant and inviting nose, this bouquet just invites me to drink.

I take my first sip and... I am completely floored. Kellerweis tastes much, much better than I anticipated. Very tasty and refreshing. Light yeast, bananas, cloves, and lemon are the predominant flavors. A light-bodied beer that is a far cry but welcome change from my past few beers which have been high alcohol brews.

Unfortunately, as it warmed up, it lost some of the initial appeal, but it still tastes fantastic, especially for the price I paid.

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours a cloudy yellow hue.

Smell of bananas and cloves with a slight mix of aromatic hops and spice. I'm even getting bubblegum notes. Amazing beer aroma.

Soft and sweet on the palate without a sour aftertaste that some hefeweizens give. With this beer, you get a nice and subtle bitterness on the finish. What you get on the nose you also get on the palate.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and very well textured. So complex but doesn't go overboard. Medium to heavy bodied but in a very delicate manner.

Does Sierra Nevada ever make a bad beer? My answer would be no.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is my first review fellow BAs! Havn't had an American made wheat in quite a while

Appearance: Looked fantastic, cloudy yellow color that changed shades as the glass got wider. Poured a nice thick white head, but was bubbly? I drank two of these and both heads appeared bubbly, but had excellent head rentention, and when I cleaned the glass up later in the night there were still lines on the glass!

Smell: Smelled a little 'dry' (alcohol smell) when it was still in the bottle. After pouring it picked up a much heavier clove/spice smell, not so much the traditional banana as i'm accustomed to.

Taste: Followed the nose precisely, though I picked up a lot more banana then I had originally smelled, with a good punch of spiciness in the background, I felt like the clove was coming through a lot in this one.

Mouthfeel: Good

Drinkability: Had no problem drinking this, with a rich banana foreground with some spices and malt in the background that come through clearly enough to taste, it went down very smooth.

Will definitely be buying this again and recommending it to other curious buyers I see who cant seem to decide :)

2.7/5  rDev -33.3%

12oz bottle.

golden color, bubbly.Tastes much like it smells. I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great but this just isn't doing it... It leaves this sour aftertaste - but this could just be me, everyone else is reviewing it fairly high.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice, cloudy bright yellow with a good white head in my weizen glass. Nose brings forward clove and banana along with some bubblegum and light hops. The taste brings a tiny bit of spice and citrus as well as banana. Mildly sweet. Good body with really nice carbonation; this drinks quite well and is one of the better American versions of the style that I've had.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Alrighty here we go.

Appearance: Very cloudy with a thick rich white head. The yellow reminds of oddly enough banana.

Smell: It has a good wheat smell but I do with some more banana smell or spice smell. Smells good just a touch plain.

Taste: I do get a banana taste and a slight spice note backed up by a heathy dose of wheat. The hops are present at the very end and on the after taste.

Mouthfeel: Oddly this is one of the few times so far that I would call a beer creamy. The carbonation is spot on and I enjoy the tiny bubbles.

Drinkability: I think I could drink this on the regular. I will admit that I think this beer would go good with some kind of butterscotch or caramel.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours cloudy and yellow with little to no head.

S: Sharp banana with spices. Much better smell than look.

T: Tart with bananas and clove. Very light. Not getting a lot of an aftertaste. I've had a lot of hefes and this isn't bad, but it isn't terribly good either.

MF: Light and bubbly, basically typical for the style

D: Very high. But, again, typical for the style. Nothing special here for me.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

Not a particularly good looking beer. A pale yellow with a slight murkiness, but not a hefeweizen sorta look... sort of dull. Big head folds pretty quickly. No lacing on my glass.

Banana on the nose, just a touch of spice.

Seems like a pretty straight forward effort at the style. Bit of banana, the tiniest bit of spice. Malt profile seems a touch weak. I'm not getting it.

Drinkable enough and mouth if about right.

Just missing something for me. Not bad, but alot of good hefes out there.

EDIT: Just saw that this was dated BB 04/08/10, so not fresh. Didn't taste off, but may not have been at its best.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Big head on this one, three fingers of thick, slightly off white color. Head breaks down slowly leaving lots of clinging lace. A cloudy light amber color rating a 6 on the SRM chart. Deep rich smell of dates, raisins, yeast, wheat, and hops. Good blend of flavor with a hint of banana...yes I know that is weird and I am sure there is none of them in the making of this brew. Feels good in my mouth, thick and tangy. Oh yes I will spend my hard earned cash on this brew. I think a lot of my beer buddies will like this too.

2.65/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen
12oz bottle poured into Verboten Weizen glass. Hazy golden straw color with lots of bubbles and one finger white head that lingers. Yeast, wheat and clove smell. Tastes just like it smells, too banana wheat. I love wheat beers and I love Sierra Nevada but this is just boring, I just don't like the flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I really really like this beer. It might not be the prettiest pouring beer out there but you can not deny its taste. It pours a murky yellow almost orange color with a white head and as following directions it has some sediment falling to the bottom which kind of looks kind of gross. Taste is anything but gross as this beer has a spicyness surounding a nice wheat flavor. Smell is a nice boquet of spices almost like one those spice candles. The beer has a medium body and perfect carbanation. This beer goes down very easy and is perfect for events that involve sitting back and relaxing.

3.2/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- real cloudy off yellow body, thick foamy soapy head with great lacing
S- banana puree with really light spice notes come through
T- taste like banana concentrate to me a bit unnatural some spicy notes at the finish, not my favorite example of the style
M- tons of carbonation though it fit well with the brew
D- can drink through this fine theres just so many better hefe's out there i wouldnt start with this one to try the style

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Hazy straw yellow with a big fluffy white head.

Smell: Bananas and lemons.

Taste: Bananas and cloves, some tartness of lemon, and slightly spicy.

Mouthfeel: Light.

Drinkability: Very refreshing and easy going.

Notes: Reviewed from notes taken at 2010 MN Brew Review

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a bottle into my Blackstone brewery pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy golden, what's expected from a hefe. Small white head that quickly dissipated. Minimal lacing.

S: Banana, cloves, sweet malts.

T: A lot more complex than I anticipated. Hints of banana, citrus, clove, maybe some grapefruit. Spicy sweet finish that lingers for awhile after.

M: Medium, creamy, a decent amount of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, it'd be really easy to down a few of these.

I really enjoyed this. Not the best hefe I've ever had, but it's one of the better ones. I'll buy it again.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a hazy straw gold into a tulip with three fingers of fluffy white head. Strong aroma of banana, lemon, and spices.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Lemon zest and banana sweetness up front with grassy notes and a smooth, creamy, and slightly sweet wheat finish with only the slightest hint of bitterness. Light and extremely refreshing.

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Surely one of the better American version of the style. Pours a cloudy golden orange with a nice big foam head that has good head retention.
Malts and yeast help to bring out a nice banana scent. Lemon zest can you get too.
Flavor is sprite with banana and clove taste. Tart. Flows easy over the tongue smooth.
A good refreshing version of a German classic.
Drink well my friends

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a straw color with a thin white head that quickly goes away.

S: Has a strong clove scent with a hint of some banana.

T: Taste follows the smell with strong clove and a hint of banana. Maybe some tropical fruit/pineapple.

M: Light and tingly.

D: Pretty good drinkability. I could have multiple ones in a session.

Good beer. I could see myself going back for more.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a cloudy straw-yellow color with a big white head. Scent is somewhat spicy with hints of sweetness. A little bit of funk and lemon as well. I get some banana and maybe even a little bit of mint on top of it. Taste has a strong banana and clove backbone to it. It has a very delightful taste. The lemon zest sneaks through the strong banana a bit as well as the tasty spices. I also get some delicious notes of fresh bread. This beer is amazing for a hot summer day. The mouthfeel is near perfect. Not too light and a bit creamy. Very smooth. The drinkability is VERY HIGH. Great beer.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a cloudy apricot yellow. The head was fairly large and white, leaving clumpy web lacing.

Noticed immediately after opening the bottle, a skunky rubber smell emerged. Aaaand the same was whiffed in the glass as well, hmmm. Wheat and the aforementioned unmentionables was the general aroma, er stench. As it warmed the stench subsided slightly, revealing more flattering notes of coriander and banana.

The flavor was better, helping me forget about the nose. Pleasant soft wheat tones begin, and are soon followed by coriander, candy bananas, and a bold clove finish.

The body was medium, and the feel was very smooth with sharp carbonation. It was more slick than dry after the finish, yet left a chalky clean aftertaste which helped it go down very quickly. What was the issue with the nose?

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a clean glass swirling the last quarter of the beer to stir up the sediment as directed on the bottle. I bought this to compare to a Hefeweizen that I recently brewed.

A. This is an exceptional Hefe. A creamy straw yellow body topped by a white foamy head approximately one finger thick.

S. Yeast aroma balanced out by light malts and cloves, slightly fruity and spicy.

T. Good balance of flavors. A light malty grain body with some banana and clove flavors. I taste no hops but I'm sure there is some in there for bitterness.

M. Creamy and silky body with very minor hints of carbonation probably due to the small bubble size.

D. I could and have put away a sixxer of this in a night. Very good and refreshing beer welcome in the late summer or early fall.

You will not regret this purchase. Be sure to swirl the bottle the last little bit adds a great deal of flavor.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

335ml brown bottle poured into a Schofferhofer weizen glass. B.B.E 17/09/10

A. A hazy amber colour topped by a big, rocky white head.

S. Lots happening in this beer. Bubblegum, wheat, citrusy, floral notes.

T. Melon, Grapefruit, blueberry, some banana too.

M. Medium with a low carbonation.

D. I was surprised by what a good interpretation of a wheat beer this is, I am really enjoying it as I write this review. Very summery and refreshing and is certainly up there with the best of the German wheat beers, if not better. A real gem to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

This was as a surprise the first time I ever had it, I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. This hefeweizen is open fermented, like they do in Germany. The flavors and spices are blended very well. This is a great beer to drink in the fall and during the holidays.

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Aroma has big notes of banana and clove on it. A very forward nose here...very fruity; sweet.

There's an initial citrus taste to the beer, which quickly turns into a burst of banana and cloves, which is definitely the dominant taste of the body and finish of this beer. Hops are pretty much non-existant in this beer. Through the finish, the sweet and spicy tastes linger for quite a while on the tongue.

As far as hefe's go, this is one of the best I've had...and definitely the best thus far not out of Germany. The taste is heavy, and delicious.

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

A - rich, golden colored with a fine 1" head that lasts for a good two minutes or so. Nice and cloudy hefeweizen, yeast is well mixed when poured. Nothing sticks to the glass

S - Definitely some clove hops. Pretty mild otherwise, a little bit of fruit undertones but dominated by the clove smell. It's nothing special

T - Slightly tart beginning leading into a smooth prolonged finish. Clove tastes along with some yeast and honey. It's a pretty average hefeweizen taste though, there are others I'd perfer

MF - Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, pretty smooth

D - It's cheaper than some other hefeweizens so I'll probably have it again.

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a hazy pale straw color, with a fluffy white head that retains well.

Aroma of bready wheat, spicy cloves, and ripe bananas.

Flavors of grainy wheat, bananas, and cloves. Grainy element is more prevalent in the finish. Definately has a bit of a tart character.

Medium body, with brisk carbonation. Slightly creamy at first, but quickly overtaken by the carbonation. Has all the elements you look for in a basic hefeweizen. I don't get much lemon or citrusy character, and the banana doesn't come across as particularly fresh. Other than that, very drinkable, and a nice effort.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.