Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen, 4.8% alcohol poured into Weizen glass.

A- Pours a highly hazed golden colored fluid with a medium head that falls to a froth and ring around the glass. Decent lacing forms a distorted ring but sticks. In the light it looks as if the beer is sunny but has a heavy fog all around.

S- Smells of fresh cut bananas strait off the vine with hints of musty yeast and vanilla cream.

T-M- Taste is creamy with a banana milkshake coming to mind. Light all spice flavors hide behind the banana but are there with light clove. Easy to drink with a meduim carbonation and creamy feel makes this beer a winner in my book.

Great beer for session drinking.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Hazy Golden Yellow with great head and good retention

Smell: Banana notes and maybe a little citrus

Taste: Sweet. Bananas and yeast. It's sort of like the beer skips the early taste and goes straight for the middle and the end. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with good carbonation.

Overall: Overall a pretty good hefe. I feel like it's missing something though or the balance is a bit off.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Served from bottle into a nonic glass at the Winking Lizard.

A- Hazy golden color with one finger of soapy white head.

S- Strong banana and almost bubblegum like notes.

T- Strong banana and bubblegum notes throughout with a nice amount of spiciness to keep it from being too sweet. Also some bready and yeasty notes throughout as well.

M- Highly carbonated with a medium body

O- Highly drinkable beer with good balance and very refreshing.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a lovely golden wheat color with some cloudiness, all expected from a hefe.

Taste smells of banana and cloves. For some reason I've never been a big fan of the hefe smells so much as i like the taste.

Taste comes through as bananas and clove with a touch of wheatiness (it could use some more of that wheatiness to balance it out.)

Mouthfeel is effervescent and very refreshing. I'm really going to give this one a second go when it gets warmer.

Overall a good beer but not knock your socks off good. It seems to be missing a citrus element that would make it better for me. I could add a lemon wedge but I hate to ruin a good beer. I may have to pick up some more and do some research.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I respect Sierra Nevada as a brewery. I believe they are one of the best in this country and should be looked at as an example of great American beer. Saying that, I was a little disappointed in this german style offering. I really wanted a great hefe with notes of banana and clove in the aroma and flavor and this was a little tame - which most American hefeweizens can be, with the exception of Long Trail. This beer was expertly crafted, very refreshing and sessionable, clean in finish, and was free of major flaws: it just didn't make me go WOW.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Tried pouring a weissbier into a snifter instead of a weiss glass for a change.

1 inch head that disappears rather quickly. It smelled of stronger of alcohol than I'm used to from a weissbier. Strong bread and banana flavors present right away.

Sierra Nevada hit the style dead on, and made improvemets on it when compared to other German and Belgian counterparts.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

My favorite Heffe so far. My wife's second favorite only to New Belgium's Mothership.

The thing that is outstanding about this Heffe is how well balanced it is. It has the perfect balance between the clove/spice, banana, and bubblegum tendencies of the beligian yeast both in the aroma and taste. Add a touch of citrus, lemon and orange, a good grainy wheat base and a light, refreshing, clean body with just a touch of creaminess. It pours a nice creamy head with great retention and beautiful lace. A very nice, refreshing summertime drink. Fruity with spice, crisp and clean. Awesome.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a nice fluffy 2 finger foam head, which lingers. Also leaves intricate lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Cloves dominate the smell, along with a reminder of Dubble Bubble gum

T - Taste is clove, banana, and orange rind. A little bit of the bublle gum makes it's way into the taste as well.

M - Good amount of carbnation, full bodied, with a nice aftertaste

O - Great beer for working in the yard in the spring/summer, relatively light so it doesnt bog me down, but plenty of flavor to make me want to reach for another.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Poured into my Dundee weizen glass...

A- The perfect hefeweizen... Very hazy but a nice bright orange/golden color that pours a giant fluffy head and just sits there for almost the entire drinking session. The color gradient (due to the changing thickness of the glass) was just phenomenal and made me want to frame a picture of this beer, really.

S- Very nice hefeweizen aroma. A lot of clove and spice in the nose. Not as banana-y as others, but I do get a nice fruity aroma maybe green apple (not acetelaldehyde [sp?]) though. Overall great yeasty aroma.

T/M- I love this beer. Very similar in taste to the smell but the flavor is just a bit lighter this year than I remember from this in the past. It's still great, just not quite as pronounced as my memory serves. There is more banana in the taste than the smell alludes. Those esters are balanced with the clove phenols produced by the Bavarian yeast. Something that is hard to come by, but I love is the bubble gum flavor you can find in few hefeweizens, and I think this one pulls it off nicely- subtle, but nice. The mouth is very silky smooth medium bodied with a medium-high carbonation level... very drinkable.

O- I took notes last night with drinkability in mind, but now that this is my overall impression not much will change. I think this is a beautifully crafted hefeweizen- the BEST American brewed IMO. One of my favorite Sierra Nevada offerings (yeah, I said that) because it is so complex, yet delicate. I am the type to continually try new beers; but this one keeps me coming back AT LEAST once a year...

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color, with a thick creamy head.

Smell: Spicy, with a distinct banana undertone.

Taste: The taste wasn't exactly what I expected. I don't have much experience with heffeweizens, so the banana in the background took a little getting used to. Definitely not bad though.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm still not sure what to make of this. I could see how one could put a few of these away, but I'm not yet sure if they're my thing. I still have the remainder of a six pack, so I'll see whether I change my mind.

312th review on BA
bottle to weizen

App- A hazy flowing from dark to light, orange to yellow. One finger quick receding head. A little minimal cling.

Smell- Big of spice of clove with yes I did get the banana after reading the bottle with a little seemed to me funk.

Taste- I don't normally like hef's but this was good. Big, spicy and well done. Balanced flavors with a kick.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level. Very resounding clove after taste.

Drink- I'd have this one again. Good beer, refreshing and tasty.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a light golden, non transparent yellow in color with a two finger foam head that gradually fades into a thin, pinky width, creamy lace at the top of the beer. Bubbles cling to the sides and form a rather jumbled pattern on the surface.

(Smell): This hefeweizen has a very pronounced banana and fruity smell. I wouldn't go as far as to say purely "citrus", but more like a banana/apple smoothie kind of smell. Not subtle at all, which is great. I love a beer that makes its presence know.

(Taste): The taste is definitely one of the oddest I've had in a hefeweizen. I sense the banana nature of a typical hefe screaming to come out, but it never quite gets there. There is a bitterness that immediately strikes the tongue and lingers throughout.

(Mouthfeel): Lightly carbonated and kind of dull. I find it hard to put into words, but where most hefe's tend to be kind of wheaty and refreshing, the Kellerweis is just kind of...there.

(Drinkability): When it comes to hefeiwezen, you either make it worthy or unworthy, and theres rarely an inbetween. I'd stack this in the "No Drink" pile with Widmer and Erdinger Hefeweizen. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but for the time being, I would strongly recommended Ayinger's Brau Weisse or Haufbrau Hefeweizen over this one.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The Pour was a hazy amber yellow with an average (1-2 finger) white foamy head that lasted throughout and produced fair streaky lacing.

The aroma was a light grain malt and a mild doughy yeast with notes of banana, citrus (lemon), a bit of coriander and a hint of vanilla.

The taste was slightly bitter and rather yeasty with a hint of citrus pretty much throughout, with the finish having a slight spiciness towards the end. The flavor was short lived with a mild citrusy yeast taste fading quickly from the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a thin creamy texture and a medium carbonation.

Overall this was a really good Hefeweizen, with a nice creamy yeasty taste and a good drinkability. This is a brew that I will definitely drink again, especially on one of those extremely hot summer days...

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A - a hazy bright golden yellow with a white, pillowy head.
S -bready yeast, light banana and light citrus fruits.
T - bready and slightly sweet, light cloves on the finish.
M - well carbonated, creamy. A full-bodied Hefeweizen.
D - A delicious example and one of the best American Hefeweizens I've had. A spring and summer outdoor sipper.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - GOod cloudy yellow body, small bubbles, big frothy white head with good retention.

S - vanilla and lemon, but some funky hops or something. Not a good balance, but good elements of the style.

T - Light and crisp, light citrus and malt and a touch of vanilla. A good dryness, and the funk from the nose isnt here.

M - Very light and thin. Maybe too light and thin...

D - It's not that great, but it's pretty good and easy to drink.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Super cloudy. Almost like orange juice and apple juice mixed. Barely opaque. Its actually very interesting to see a beer this light and cloudy with bubbles swirling through it. Its the best thing I've seen in a beer appearancewise.

S - Smells like a regular weizen. Nothing too spectacular. Banana, spices and fruity esters are noticable, but not too expressed.

T - Very tasty. Crisp and sweet in the beginning. the banana-esque flavor I was hoping to get isn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, but it finishes great with a coriandery cloveyness that keeps making me want to go back for another sip.

M - Very thick. I love the way this beer looks and it feels the way it looks. Very mouthcoating with deliciousness.

D - This would be much more enjoyable in the summer months, but its still a great one to sit down with after a workout for refreshment. Another great offering from Sierra nevada.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a pale amber with a big white head. Head sticks around and good lacing.

S: Spicy wheat tang, bubblegum and a crisp clove.

T: The bubblegum flavour is big here. Spices show up and a mild hop bitterness pulls it all together.

D: Great drinkability! They really managed to cram a whole lot of flavour into this little beer. A great session beer that never gets boring.

Overall: What can I say? Sierra Nevada does it again. This is a great drinking hefe that holds its own against its German counterparts.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

To hell with lacing and head size and such. This is a good Hefe from a stateside company. If you like Hefes and you want to support a local company, go for it. Even though it is funny that a company called Sierra Nevada is located in Chico, California. I drink it in a nice, tall Kulbacher mug, and I love it. Compared to my favorite, Franziskaner, it is quite a comparable drink. Great!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

I'm a big lover of Sierra Nevada, especially their Pale Ale which is most likely my most often drank beer, and when I saw this come into the store I was very excited.

It poured for a very nice head being two fingers, white and frothy. It has a sort of lemon-orange color that is cloudy the way through. By the way, I drank this out of a Sierra Nevada glass with that hops etching on the bottom to ensure a good head and bubbliness throughout the drinking process.

The aroma very very yeasty in the offset with citrus being a prominent second. A bit of banana and clove was evident as well.

Taste was very much the same with yeast being dominant and a strong citrus. I believe that I tasted some corn...too(???)! That was weird. I was, however, put off by a sort of vegetable-ish taste that seemed to linger under the toasted yeast. Perhaps I got a bad bottle? It wasn't necessarily a bad taste but I do no think that it fit. Not the best hefeweizen and definitely not Sierra Nevada's best but not bad.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

A nice cloudy gold color beneath a modest but long-lasting white head. Plenty of lacing rings down the glass. Nice scent of cloves. Tastes mainly of banana, with a twinge of bitterness at the finish. Carbonation is a tad on the heavy side, but mouthfeel is full-bodied and wonderful. Very crisp and refreshing; an excellent hefe.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Plenty of fluffy white head formed after it was poured into my snifter. The aromas of yeast, clove, and crisp malts filled my nose. This aroma opened up to a full flavored and nearly ideal combination of yeasty spiciness and balanced malts. Not too sweet not too dry. I was impressed by how well the malts supported the nice touch of lemon that thankfully is not artificial. A slight earthy note adds to the refreshing flavor. This is easily one of the best American Hefeweizen, just behind New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat. Crisper than most German Hefe's which makes this makes for an ideal summer beer. I am keeping this around.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Notes from last summer.

Pours a cloudy golden brown with two fingers of head.

Smells like a hefeweizen, with banana, mild citrus and very faint cloves.

Taste is light citrus, quite bready with banana, cloves and some other slight spice.

Mouthfeel is moderate with a nice carbonation.

Drinkability is quite high. This is very refreshing on a hot summer day.

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%

A beautiful, cloudy gold, with a mountain of major bubbles.
Intricate, detailed lace. Simply a beautiful beer, yes.
Aroma is ripened fruit, spice, and clove -- appropriate for the style, and quite appealing.
The flavor is full, with plentiful notes of banana, pepper, and even a little orange. Absolutely a delicious and superior hefeweizen.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into weizen glass. No "bottled on' or 'best by' date.
A) Pours a hazy yellow color with one finger of white head sticks around. Lots of carbonation.
S) Big spicy clove notes with some underlying citrus, maybe lemon or orange peel. Not much of the banana that is common to hefeweizens.
T) Nice a refreshing. Very mild beginning and middle, but he finish is nice and flavorful. The clove is present in a big way. Slight bit of bitterness and maybe some sourness on the finish.
M/D) Very light crisp mouthfeel. Very drinkable and refreshing beer.

Great for a hot summer day, but still enjoyable on a cold, breezy, winter afternoon after a long morning of studying for midterms. Not the best hefeweizen I have had, but still enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into 0.3L Weissbier glass, complete with swirling the yeasty goodies into the mix.

Hazy on appearance with a darker-than-usual hue. Great, sturdy head with lasting lace throughout.

Aromas thick of wheat malt with that undeniable sweet-twinged, almost punchy qualities in all GOOD Weissbiers. The notes of banana and clove are obvious, but the Kellerweis has more - which I would suspect comes directly from their open fermentation.

The balance between the grainy wheaty goodness and the biscuity undertones along with the refreshing nature of this Weissbier make it a wonder, domestically. Spicy with a pop, yet balanced and very refreshing. Smooth on the palate, unquestioned quaffability.

Amazing. Considering the helter skelter opinions in the craft beer circles surrounding Sierra Nevada, I expected - at worst - a serviceable option to some Bavarian imports. What I found, however, was a Bavarian Weissbier that took no prisoners in what it wanted to say. Open fermentation - a technique still used a good bit in Germany for this style - lends itself well here. And, at under 5.0% ABV, damn near close to sessionable to boot. Damn near outstanding.

Zum wohl!

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.