Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,321 | Hads: 3,778
3.64/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like sludge when poured out. I get a lot of banana and cloves dominating the aroma and, not surprisingly, the flavor. Hefe’s aren’t my style in general and this one doesn’t change my mind. Sorry guys. (212 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Last of three bottles from the Summer Pack; bottling date is March 30th, 2015.

Looks pretty much how I'd expect a hefeweizen to look -- very, very cloudy (can't really see light through it at all -- phone held right up to the narrowest part of the glass *just barely* penetrates, but only as a glowing square, you definitely can't read anything through this one.) It's a light orangey color, with a decent bit of white foam on top, which shrinks into a thin coating on top after a bit and as I'm starting to empty the glass, has started to shrink away even more. I can see trails of yeast-goop left in the bottle from where it didn't quite all pour out, even when I did the "swirl the last little bit of the beer and pour it in" thing. The foam looks a tad darker in places where the last drips of the yeasty stuff fell through it.

Difficult to describe the smell. Mostly it's just incredibly yeasty, I'm assuming in part due to the abundance of yeasty stuff from the bottom of the bottle that I (mostly) poured in along with the rest of the beer. Maybe a bit bready too. Finding it difficult to pick up on other smells through the yeastiness, which is a little funky at times. On further sniffs I'm starting to pick up some of the banana-like thing (definitely present in the beer's flavor) in the smell too. A bit odd that that doesn't show up right away smell-wise, considering how noticeable it is in the taste.

The taste is a whole lot nicer than the smell. Banana-y flavor is the first thing that makes a strong impression, and it actually reminds me of an actual ripe banana or perhaps banana bread rather than leaning more in the "banana candy" direction. There's also a sweet bready taste, and then on the end a whole lot of wheaty flavor, which borders on spiciness at times. Lingering breadiness, with maybe very slight banana and spice at times, afterward. I don't really detect anything that seems like a "hoppy" flavor to me (if there's much in the way of hops here, they're blending in well enough with the rest that I'm not really noticing them) or any noticeable bitterness either. Definitely leaning on malt and yeasty weirdness.

Mouthfeel may just be my favorite part of this one. It's fizzy but never in a prickly or uncomfortable way, extremely smooth and easy to drink quickly. I think the suspended yeasty bits make it feel a lot thicker and make me want to drink a lot more in one gulp than normal -- kinda like how juice (especially the kind with the pulp still in) and milk (and I mean real milk, not 1% or skim or some crap like that) just feel nicer to drink than plain ol' water or other drinks that don't have that kind of thing going on. Kind of coats your mouth with banana-y and bready flavor afterward, too.

Overall, this is a very nice beer -- very different from most of the beers I drink (I've only had one other hefeweizen before this one) but tasty, and with a really great mouthfeel that makes me want to go ahead and drink another one. Sadly, however, what I just drank was my last bottle so that won't be possible unless I can find more. Here's hoping this one sticks around -- every once and a while I see mumblings that it might end up discontinued at some point on the forums around here -- even if it is just as a summer seasonal or in variety packs. (3,320 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: slightly hazy gold with average white head, leaving a film.
Smell: fruity clove-like
Taste: Nice variety of flavors from the light maltiness to banana and clove and little hops influence. There is some sourness that is a bit of a turnoff but is not overwhelming.
Feel: Light, somewhat effervescent

Overall: I have to confess I was expecting more from this beer. Although enjoyable with a decent variety of flavors, it didn't give the impression of being anything more than an average wheat beer. I noticed that it was a little on the older side based on the bottled on date so I will look for a fresher sample at some point to check again. (651 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -1.7%

Up until now wheat beers have not really been my thing. I thought they were nice, sure, but nothing I wanted to drink regularly. This one has changed my mind. I really encompasses an enormous range of flavors in a simple package. Refreshing yet substantial, bread, slightly herbaceous, almost nutty at points. Here is a beer I could see myself drinking regularly. (363 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

This hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is a cloudy-but-sediment-free, deep gold beer that briefly sports an average white head and laces the glass sparingly. It has the banana/clove spice notes particular to the breed, but they are not as prevalent as they should be. On the palate they are joined by a slight citrus flavor and a hoppiness that is just a bit stronger than the light wheat flavor; a somewhat creamy texture and average carbonation ease one to a smooth wheat finish with an unexpected sour note that lingers a moment. This is not a bad hefeweizen, just kind of boring- more strongly-expressed flavors would improve it. (646 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An exceptional wheat beer. So tasty, creamy, and filling, I could drink this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Love this Sierra Nevada is easily one of my favorite brewerys. (172 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- yellow green in color that is yeasty. A 2 finger head that leaves a nice splotchy lacing on the pint.

S- pepper and lemongrass and banana

F- yeasty but mimics the nose and is perfect.

M- smooth...cool and refreshing. Light bodied and i could drink this all day.

O- A great hefe and probably one of the best ive had (356 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Good wheat. Like the label says, big banana bread taste and aroma. Yeast tang lingers on the lips. Nice mouthfeel. Very good and authentic tasting interpretation of the style. (175 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid Hefeweizen. Every time I think Sierra Nevada has outdone themselves they prove me wrong. The caramel undertones in this beer really shine through and make it so enjoyable to drink. Will definitely be purchasing this one again. (242 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This here is a treat. Pours a murky blonde color while having bready/malty/banana scents. The taste is outstanding, crisp and sweet. This is definitely a sipping beer and just chugging this beer would be an insult and you wouldn't get the great flavors this American interpretation of a hefeweizen has to offer. This is definitely THE beer to drink as an access-way to the deep rabbit hole known as "craft-beer".

I drank this beer with my Munich-born Weihenstephaner-loving brother in law and all he could say was "Wunderbar". (527 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -4.2%

Rated this based on others I have tried of the same style. Very good and crisp for a hefe which aren't my fave. Came in the summer pack I purchased but heard it was an awesome hefe so will probably by the pack again. (216 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For my money, this is by far such a superior wheat to what’s widely available. For that matter, it’s the only wheat I seek out. A cut above. In a class of its own. (170 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-pours a hazy straw color with a white foamy head with excellent retention
S-lots of clove, slight hint of banana, wheat
T-more balance of clove and banana in the flavor, some spiciness as well
M-medium-light bodied
O-very well balanced hefe, and a great easy drinking brew (274 characters)

I always reach for Hefeweizens. This American made brew is by far the tastiest I've had. I've found a new favorite. Pours Golden Blonde with a fluffy thick white head. Tastes like a Hefeweizen should taste. Tastes like banana up front with a light clove and a good wheaty taste. (278 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spent 3 years in Germany with the US Army, so think that I have a pretty good feel for German styles.
First sip, was unexpected experience. Wasn't sure what this was. A couple of sips in, I started to understand. Finished the glass, and I knew that this was something special, and a beer that I truly enjoyed.
I apologize that I don't have a fully developed "beer snob" vocabulary, but I'm working on it. (407 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

LOOK: A super hazy golden orange, (when yeast sediment is added) with a small white head. Head retention is brief, but it leaves some lacing going down.

SMELL: Overripe banana, some clove, bubblegum and apple, and yeast.

TASTE: Banana upfront, followed by bubblegum and clove, tartness of apple and lemon on the mid-palate, a sharp twang from the wheat, which slides into an earthy, tangy, grassy, and spicy finish. Lightly fruity, crisp and smooth, with a clean finish. Very easy drinking.

FEEL: Light-bodied and well-carbonated.

OVERALL: Not mind-blowing by any means, but it's good for what it is. It does make an excellent refreshing summer beer. (705 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured 12oz bottle into glass. 4.8% abv

Appearance- Pours a bright yellow with a lofty, thick head. Extremely cloudy/hazy.

Smell- Wheat aroma, very grainy, toasted bread. Some orange peel.

Taste- Sweat bready flavor, followed by crisp wheat and a little touch of honey. The banana bread flavor is evident later in the taste profile, where as it was not as evident in the nose. The banana-like sweetness follows through to a slightly bitter dry finish, still carrying along some of that wheat malt.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with vibrant carbonation.

Overall- An exceptional hefeweizen! Very clean and crisp flavors make for a very refreshing beer. A must try, and a benchmard for this fine German style. (709 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

This 12oz bottle was bottled on 30th December 2014 and poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: The beer poured a very hazy straw gold colour with two finger white head that dissipated quickly leaving behind thin but nice lacing.
S: Earthy wheaty aromas with orange, banana and cloves poking through.
T: Mainly ripe banana and bready wheaty malts with hints of citrus and a touch of hoppiness at the end.
M: Light bodied, medium carbonation with a dry finish.
O: This isn’t the best hefe I’ve tried, but its up there and a good example of one. Its very easy to drink and I would definitely consider this during the hot summers. (627 characters)

A solid hefewiezen. A bit subdued in estery flavors and lighter in appearance than traditional german hefeweizens, but still an excellent american example of the style. (168 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a perfect pale yellow . Turbid and milky with a creamy head of white foam that lasts and clings. Nose is spicy.peppery and crisp wheat with a touch of clove. Not a lot of banana on the nose, instead there is some pungent herbal. Banana is more prominent in the flavor though. Still it's perfectly ripe and light in flavor. The malt is lovely with crisp wheat and a little sweetness. Juicy middle with a bit of citrus but not so much that I would name a fruit. A touch of that tartness that comes from wheat beer and some coriander. A bit of herbal in the almost dry finish. Mouthfeel is fluffy and creamy , medium and finishes with a slight breaddy bit of malt and a slight bitter at the swallow. (713 characters)

I think this is a great American Hefeweizen, on par with the best of the European (Weihenstephaner, Edelweiss, Ayinger), plus it just tastes fresher to me. Great creaminess characteristic of most hefes/wittes, balance of banana and coriander, little bit of citrus. I would say this more of an attempt to master the style than bring anything new to it. I love it.

I also recommend No Limits by Two Roads and Zeppelin by Revival. (431 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great hefeweizen. Very balanced flavors between the cloves, banana notes, and citrus. IF you are looking for big malt or hops flavors, then look elsewhere, this is spices and finsihing flavors through and through. I'm very glad I gave this beer a try. (263 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this years ago and remember loving it. This time around it was just ok. Has the wheat-y, lemony notes, but missing the huge banana flavors I remember. Still a solid, refreshing beer but not the world class brew I remember it as. Will try again, perhaps an off bottle (272 characters)

One of my favorite Hefeweizen's now.
A huge creamy head with lots of carbonation.
A wonderful weizen smell. Banana, clove, spice. Very balanced taste.
The favors come together well.
More crisp taste with a nice little bite finishing from hops. (246 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

Im rating this beer compard to the German Hefes such as Paulener/Weihstephaner and every other American made hefe except Dancing Man wheat whic i have not had a chance to try. (175 characters)

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.