Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Reviews: 1,352 | Ratings: 3,927
3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is a pale golden straw. Just a slight bit of haze.

Nose is light and bright. Lots of lemon, grass, melon. Heavy on the lemon.

Taste is surprisingly bready. Little burst of lemon up front, followed by lots of lovely malty yeasty bread notes.

Feel is pretty solidly medium. Little more than I would want for a hefe.

Great beer on a hot summer day. Sessionable, but might be too much lemony brightness to drink through the night. Daylight hours only.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not a huge fan if Hefe's, and this beer didn't turn me on to them, although it wasn't bad.

It poured the typical cloudy yellow, with a foamy head that maintained on the side, and provided some lacing. The nose nose mostly banana, and done lemon. I didn't get much spice (clove).

The taste was bready, with the same banana-lemon notes. Again, not much spice to me in the taste. It was somehow both smooth (like banana pudding), but seemed slightly watery. I realize it's a lighter style, but it didn't seem quite right.

As stated, not going to run to re-evaluate my opinion on the style because of this one, but I would have another as an option or change of pace.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

two-thirds pour, looks hazy but still slightly transparent. Last pour, swirled (as per instructions), dense haziness, absolutely opaque, and a strong sunset yellow. Thick off-white head that settles into a nice cap with a hint of lacing.

nose is full of banana and coriander, though "full" may be an overstatement as the aroma is not particularly strong.

The way I would put the taste... peaceful banana. You get all the spice up front, but it gently slides into a soft banana flavor that you can almost feel. The yeast is mostly in the nose and front of the flavor.

Feels great, a full palate with a smooth banana-like texture.

Good beer. Sierra Nevada always pulls it off well. I'm really enjoying this in mid-September as I'm transitioning from summer ales to festbiers.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Nice yellow color, hayish, little carbonation

S: very subtle banana and clove aroma, not as much as a german hefe weizen, but still a veryu nice citrusy aroma!

T: A very complex body! Nice hefe body with a citrusy american taste!

O: A very easygoing german wheat beer! Apealable to anyone!

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Serving Type: Bottle

A: Deep golden color with the typical cloudy look from hefeweizens. Decent sized head that dissipated after about 30 seconds but left a little bit of lacing.

S: Definitely smells of citrus and bananas. There is a nice hint of spices in the background as well, maybe cloves or cinnamon

T: The fruitiness stands out, first you get the bananas and the citrus creeps up towards the end

M: Very smooth and easy to drink with a decent amount of carbonation

O: Overall one of the best domestic hefeweizens I've had. It has complex flavor layering, but easy to drink at the same time. Fantastic beer would go great on a hot summer day. Definitely getting more of this soon.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

In a pint glass from a bottle.

L - has a nice golden color to it. just a slight haze. there was no head retention to speak of. no lacing on the glass

S - smells like banana bread. lots of yeasty pepper aroma.

T - tastes more like bitter lemon peel and cloves. the peppercorn notes gives it a bit of an edge. tastes like a hefeweizen for sure. not quite as much wheat content as what I expected.

F - the mouthfeel surprised me. there isnt really any body to this beer. very clean and refreshing. slightly carbonic.

O - i really enjoyed this beer. would make a great summertime beer. Sierra Nevada makes great beer at good prices.

12 oz. into a weizen glass

P: Cloudy orangish gold with one of the best-looking heads I've come across in a while! The huge, white crown of healthy foam is ultra-thick, sturdy as can be, and rocky as hell with excellent retention. Forms huge muffin tunnels and gigantic dimples as it sinks to reveal a thick sheet of lace all over the glass. Excellent!

A: Huge waves of ripe bananas, tons of cloves, wheat malts, and some herbal hops. Really nice aroma that drew me in from the first whiff.

T: Wheaty, cracker-like malt is at the core while the palate is greeted with some lemony bitterness at first sip. Banana is layered throughout, but stays pretty subdued in relativity to the rest of the flavors. The clove, though, is great! They combine with the herbal hops to put this one firmly on the spicy, herbal side of the hefe spectrum as opposed to the fruity side, as the hops deliver a nice little spicy kick on the crisp, dry finish. Nice and sublte, but very well put-together.

M: Light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation that adds some fluffiness to the already airy, crisp feel.

Notes: Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this is good! I love the spice & herb combo going on here, but I do wish the banana flavors were a little more pronounced on the palate, mainly because they tasted so delicious. I actually did a side-by-side with this and the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss, and it held its own even though I would prefer the Franziskaner. But, considering that one came from the motherland of wheats, I was impressed.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottled in the later half of 03/2011 poured into a Schneider-Brooklyn Weizen glass on 04/24/2011.

Hazy golden with a massive white head that took a long time to settle and left great lacing on the glass. Mild notes of orange, banana and yeast in the aroma... faintly tart.

Somewhat lemony tart, and slightly bitter towards the end with a banana finish. Clean and dry, but not very dry.

Medium bodied; higher carbonation would be welcome.

A very solid beer, especially at its ABV and price.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz. bottle into a Perfect Pint.

A: A big, fluffy meringue head tops a mildly hazy yellow-gold body with lots of carbonation. Almost the platonic beer look, quite attractive.

S: A little bit of sweet wheat and some spicy hops, banana and clove dominating, but not too strong. Not a ton else going on, but pleasant.

T: Great, easy flavor: not too wheaty and thick, but certainly the kind of sweet banana flavors you expect in a weiss beer. There's some hops, but not much, subdued.

M: Nicely balanced between body and carbonation--a bit of chew, but moderate bubbling to keep it moving along with a nice tingle.

O: A really easy summer drinker, and a good, inexpensive American rendition of a style dominated by Germans. One of my favorite SN beers.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a nice light golden color, minimal head. Smells delicous, can detect banana like most other Hefeweizens. Slight Clove smell and other spices. Real easy on the palate, no bitterness, great taste. Sweet on the taste buts. Overall a solid beer. Not my favorite Hefeweizen, but one I'd def try again if available.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH Snifter...one of my first reviews of 2011 and my 51st review....

A-Classic Hefeweizen, cloudy orangeish with minimal heading and a bit of lacing

S-peppery, clove, banana and some bread

T-very consistent with the smell, good level of carbonation, very fruity

D-high, the carbonation and low ABV make this one a chugger....

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen yesterday for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. As far as wheat beers go the only one I have been drinking lately is Oberon, so I thought I would switch it up a bit and go for a Hefeweizen that I have been meaning to try for a long time. No visible freshness date. Poured from a short 12oz brown bottle into a weizen glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty plain and it is the typical mountain scenery just with a golden yellow background. It poured a hazy pale golden yellow color with a big four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed for a while then disappeared and it left some spotty lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up is a large bread and biscuit like aroma from the malts. Then I pick up that signature banana aroma I have come to expect from this style, there is usually some clove accompanying it but on this brew the cloves have been replaced with a large amount of lemon zest that makes for a somewhat unique aroma. The yeast adds some nice fruit esters and I can only smell a slight amount of grassy and earthy hops. This beer smells like a mix between a Hefeweizen and an American Pale Wheat Ale.

T- The taste follows the nose nicely and is pretty similar. I get a lot of those bready flavors from the malts that have just the right amount of sweetness to them. Just like in the aroma the bananas are the most prominent flavor and they are followed by that signature clove spice that I was afraid it wasn't going to come through but somehow it skipped the aroma but showed up in the flavor. The fruity esters from the yeast are nice and I feel like that the lemon zest sticks out the most. There was a very slight sour and bitter aftertaste that was very subdued but worked nicely with this brew.

M- Smooth, crisp, medium light bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good Hefeweizen. This beer doesn't seem like a true Hefeweizen to me, it is more like a hybrid of that and an American Pale Wheat ale, it had the banana and clove flavors from a Hefeweizen and the citrus and mouthfeel of a American Pale Wheat Ale. I liked the combination of the two styles and I won't deduct any points for it. I thought the flavors could have stuck out a little more but to me the best thing about this beer was it's drinkability, it went down really smooth and it really hit the spot after playing 18 holes of disc golf on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, this beer makes for a great summer first quencher. Usually I go for Oberon on a day like this, but I felt the need to switch things up (since I have been drinking more then my fair share of Oberon) and I am glad I did. I could see buying a six pack of this for BBQing or playing disc golf but I really can't see it becoming one of my standbys. If your a fan of wheat beers give this one a try, it's a nice refreshing brew. I guess I need to go back to the store and see what other Sierra Nevada beers I have overlooked.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass Pours a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. A frothy white head of tiny bubbles sits and slowly reduces.

Has a yeasty, grainy smell of wet straw and grass, slightly herby, with a hint of lemon.

Has a lemony, grassy taste, slighlty herbaceous and woody, with a tang to finish. Somewhat crisp and clean, especially for a wheat beer.

Light bodied, with a slight creamy texture that does not take away from its crispness. The tang of the carbonation hits the back of the throat and tonsils on the way down.

I am not the biggest fan of wheat beers, but I could see downing a few of these on a hot summer day. Too bad, however, it is a cloudy, cold day!

reviewed from notes.

Slightly hazy, straw colored golden yellow. Head isn't huge and retention not great. Lace is minimal... but it is pretty much per style.

Slight hints of bananas and a toasted nuttiness mixed with spices.

tastes of bananas and sweet malts-- even a touch of bubblegum. Finish borders on being tart-- keeping it refreshing and tasty.

Light airy body is smooth and easy to drink.

Highly drinkable, easily enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen poured hazy pale yellow with a massive bubbly head that quickly disappeared.

A strong banana smell popped during the pour, but gave way to yeasty clove smell and taste. The feel is dominated by too much sparkle that had a negative impact on drinkability.

To be fair, I'm not a hefe lover; however, as hefes go, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen is on the mark.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint.

This one poured a straw amber color and built a nice, foamy head that last a few minutes. Not much lacing to this one either. Not much sediment in the bottle or glass and relatively clear.

Smells strongly of lemony spices and is reminiscent of some Belgian Pale Ales actually. Pleasant and inviting nose, this bouquet just invites me to drink.

I take my first sip and... I am completely floored. Kellerweis tastes much, much better than I anticipated. Very tasty and refreshing. Light yeast, bananas, cloves, and lemon are the predominant flavors. A light-bodied beer that is a far cry but welcome change from my past few beers which have been high alcohol brews.

Unfortunately, as it warmed up, it lost some of the initial appeal, but it still tastes fantastic, especially for the price I paid.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle

golden in color, bone white head. smells of wheat, but doesn't have the strong typical hefeweizen yeast flavors, which to me to good. same with the taste. cleaner, mild. easy drinking.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

great new beer to the lineup.

appearance: cloudy maddness of yeast

smell: clove, spicey

taste: banana and havey yeast bred flavors

mouthfeel: thick as hell, almost to think to drink multiples

drinkability: not easy drinks very heavy but overall tatse is incredible. and I have wheat beers. well done but not a session

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Fairly cloudy, grainy, very carbonated, big bubbles. OK, not great actually. I usually prefer these a bit paler and the bubbles tiny from the fermenting yeast.

S - Familiar banana, clove, crisp wheat, sweet malt, maybe a bit of a papery dimension to it though. Not sure of the date on this.

T - It starts off sweet on the tongue, which quickly gives way to a peppery, yeasty flavor. Rich banana and cloves. Good, fairly refreshing. The malt is just a tad cloying, which should not be typical of this style.

M - Fairly dry, carbonated, medium light mouthfeel. The malt has a long finish.

O - I think this is a decent example of the style, not world class in my opinion but still quite good. It's possible this is a bit oxidized.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A – The colour of this beer is pretty much right on point; tawny-orange mixes with golden-yellow accompanied by billowing head.

S – Classic hefeweizen scents; freshly baked bread, popcorn, banana, a little yeast but little spice.

T – It definitely has the cleanness of flavour which one looks for. The popcorn reappears, accompanied by some sweet bread and banana. Not quite hitting the yeastiness or spiciness which characterises the very finest of this style.

M – Pretty much spot on. Crisp, well-balanced. Refreshing and quaffable. Perhaps slightly underweight.

O – The best American attempt at a hefeweizen I’ve encountered so far. Nevertheless, while good it’s not quite there. Part of me wonders whether my palate has changed of late, such that I’m really looking for a dunkelweizen to provide that maltier, yeastier, spicier experience. I’ll look forward to tasting this blind against Weihenstephaner and Schneider tap 7 in the coming months. A great-value summer staple nonetheless.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer came highly recommended so I decided to try it. I am generally not a big fan of hefeweizen but I love beer so here goes.

I opted for my Fin Du Monde tulip as a a receptacle for the 12oz bottle. I followed the directions on the bottle and swirled the yeast into the beer as I poured it making for a hazy yellow beer with a bone-white head.

Banana and wheat make up the nose. Not a lot of complexity but it is clean and not overly sweet or yeasty.

The taste is tart and slightly sweet with a tangy aftertaste. There is not much in the way of hoppy character but that is to be expected.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp with strong carbonation.

This beer is quite refreshing and tasty. I have finally found a wheat beer that doesn't make me unhappy I spent money on it.

Slainte.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Surprised at the color l and cloudiness of this beer. Nice orange color when poured into a tulip glass. Could not see through the beer, dense appearance. Liked the flavor very much. On the first sip it seemed coriander was leading the charge, but that changed quickly to a fruit/syrup taste on the front and a clove on the finish that was no overpowering. Very good stuff. Would revisit.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale, cloudy yellow from the bottle with a slight, creamy head that dissipates quickly. A whole lot of banana in the nose with a bit of alcohol warmth. The taste is strong with citrus, wheat, and yeast, with lots of banana in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very light.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours honey color with 1/2 finger of a quickly dissipating head. Unfiltered appearance.

Aroma is of clove, banana, nutmeg, and mace.

Taste is not bad, but really, it's just middle of the road at best. A little thick in feel, yet a bit watery or lacking any burst of true flavor. Then again the abv is pretty low. Some clove spiciness and a bit of banana are present. Nice amount of yeast character as well. Little bit of wheat.

Overall, I wouldn't buy again. I'm just alright on this style anyway. I see it pairing well with a warm, spice-forward dessert. Maybe freshly baked ginger bread. It gets a 77/100.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good. It's not Live Oak, but it's a great alternative for someone who lives in an area that doesn't have much distribution, Sierra Nevada is everywhere.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.