Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,321 | Hads: 3,778
1.35/5  rDev -66.9%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw gold, with a thick white head with decent retention.

Smell: Floral and citrus, which is not at all what one wants to smell from a hefeweizen.

Taste: And as the smell indicates, my Wall O Hop sensitivity strikes. This tastes like compost pile runoff, no other flavors perceptible.

Mouthfeel: Light and effervescent.

Overall: This is in keeping with every Sierra Nevada experience I have had, with the exceptions of Narwhal and Tumbler. Please discontinue this. It is emphatically not an actual hefeweizen. (593 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

I had been looking forward to trying this for a year or so and was disappointed. I am a huge fan of Weihenstephaner, Hofbrau, Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr and other authentic German beers.

This Kellerweis - airy but with a strong blast of American tasting, piney hops mixes with a bit of Grapefruit. Not even close, sorry. If you drink authentic Hefeweizen often you would know exactly what I mean on the first tiny sip. (426 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -57.6%

Appearance: Cloudy medium yellow/orange with a decent white head. Good lacing.

Smell: Yeasty with a touch of that spice I hate but can't think of its name. It smells like cloves

Taste: It's got that yucky clove spice. I think it's called coriander.

Mouthfeel: Water

Drinkability: Bad. It has that yucky clove tasting spice that ruins the beer. It's in almost all wheat beers and it's normal to have that spice but I hate it.

Because the beer has that awful clove tasting spice, it really sux. (497 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

12 ounce pour into a shaker pint. bottle from a mixed season twelve pack - Summer Pack. This is a musty, wheaty beer and I did not enjoy it, but I don't like this style. (171 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -53.2%

I love a good hefeweizen. This was an uninspiring attempt at best. All the classic hallmarks are there but barely noticeable. Banana and clove barely perceived , soft velvety creamy head missing entirely. You can only tell this is a hefeweizen by comparing it pale ales. What a disappointment. (295 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -45.6%

From the nearby town of Chico, this beer promised to be an exploration of excellent German-style wheat beer. The problem is, Sierra Nevada has done quite well with the Crustal Wheat and Old Chico beers, so this venture into Hefeweizen is an interesting choice.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go by memory on this one, as I am unwilling to try it for a fourth time.

First off, the smell: A warning of what's to come. The scent of rotten bananas and clove cigarettes pours from the opening of this bottle from the first twist. Not discouraging enough, of course, but it's still a good sign of an unusual beer. I love odd flavors in beer, generally. An apple flavor here or a lemon zest there, never something to avoid outright. The problem is this beer simply reeks of bad produce.

Next up, the taste, which is the most important to me, especially with Sierra Nevada brews. Frankly, all I could taste was fizzy rotten bananas and cloves. I may be a bit biased, as I like neither of these, but I feel they could have been made more subtle. Instead, it's a chemically taste followed by the uncomfortable reminder of bananas. This would be fine, but this combination doesn't feel complimentary at all. It's a bit sweet and the rush of hops pours in to ruin any synergy between the unusual flavors.

The mouthfeel is hard to dismiss. Again, that chemical taste bleeds into feeling, as the beer tends to almost feel like rubber, drying your mouth out. It is wonderfully fizzy though, and the feel while drinking it is enjoyable. It's just that the beer seems to like sticking around and keeping that clove taste stuck to your tongue.

It's a pretty standard microbrew in terms of color and head. It's plenty fizzy and looks great in a glass. I just can't personally stand the taste. Had I more closely read the bottle I would have avoided it the first time, but I hadn't expected a heffeweizen to be so odd-tasting.

Overall, not something I'd recommend to people who enjoy a nice solid wheat beer. Sierra Nevada offers two different types of wheat, one filtered, one unfiltered, which would easily satisfy that desire. If you enjoy bananas and clove cigarettes, this is definitely a great beer for you. It may be worth a try if you just want something fairly unique, but the flavors just don't seem to blend with the beer taste very well to me.

If you're looking for a good American wheat beer, absolutely pick up a pack of Sierra Nevada's Crystal Wheat or Old Chico. I simply cannot recommend this though. (2,505 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -42.2%

From a 12-oz bottle that I picked up at a new store, that sells singles.

The beer pours hazy light amber with a white head that dissipates quickly.

The first sip is full of cloves and bananas with pretty good carbonation but since I am not a fan of cloves (in ham or beer), I didn't like it very much. (306 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

swirled and poured like the bottle recommended. pours yellow and hazy with a thick head. smells of ripe bananas and spices. the thing about this beer that sticks out the most is the rotten fruit taste and smell. i can't really get past that. it feels like chalky water in the mouth and is very difficult to drink. i had to force myself to finish this.

im usually a big fan of sierra nevada but this falls way short. i thought that maybe i'd gotten a bad batch, but most of the low reviews seem to match up with what i'm tasting/feeling. i've had hefes before, so it's not that i dislike the style, i just can't understand how this tase could be appealing even to a hefe-head. (704 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy marmalade orange color with a one finger white head with poor retention and no lacing. The smell is light bananas, light cloves, and wheat. At least it has the familiar wheat beer smell.

The taste is somewhat sweet. There is light bananas, light cloves, and wheat. I don't think Sierra Nevada got this one right. I'm glad I don't have any more of this to finish.

Light bodied with modest carbonation. Thin and watery to be perfectly honest. This really pales in comparison to great Hefeweizens, such as Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. This could be an old bottle, but since I don't see a bottle date, my review stands as it is. (636 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen
12oz bottle poured into Verboten Weizen glass. Hazy golden straw color with lots of bubbles and one finger white head that lingers. Yeast, wheat and clove smell. Tastes just like it smells, too banana wheat. I love wheat beers and I love Sierra Nevada but this is just boring, I just don't like the flavor. (343 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

On tap at Eli Cannon's in CT. I rushed in to fill my mug but was choked back by the hype of this lackluster brew. Mouth feel was a quick fading fuzz of fizz. The taste was nothing spectacular yet not bad; bland as bland can be. I'd rather a beer be awful than average. When I see this in a sixer at the local packy I will probably buy a couple but I highly doubt it will pack the same sparkling summer sensation as a MH Wacko or Saranac LemonAle. I was half expecting this "hef" to be overloaded with hops and tasting identically to the green-labeled ubiquitous Pale Ale like every other beer SN has ever released into the wild. I applaud a SN that isn't destroyed with the awful bitterness of hops but this brew just didn't cut it. If beers were pitchmen, this one is more like Vince Shlomi and less like Billy Mays. By that, I mean it lacks staying power and identity, specifically in the areas of overall drinkability and taste. (931 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

12oz bottle.

golden color, bubbly.Tastes much like it smells. I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great but this just isn't doing it... It leaves this sour aftertaste - but this could just be me, everyone else is reviewing it fairly high. (263 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

ap. Beautiful cloudy golden color, but little head and it went quickly. No lacing.
sm. Not too strong spice and cloves. Someone suggested banana...okay.
ta. spice and banana? Kind of reminds me of pumpkin pit without the pumpkin. Sort of a lemony finish.
mf. good carbonation and slight tartness.
dr. But it gives way to an annoying sweet aftertaste that ruins it for me. One will do it. (388 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a snifter, swirling twice to get all of the yeast at the bottom. The beer is a very pale hazy orange with yellow highlights. Fluffy white head started off strong, but quickly died down to a thin layer at the top. Lacing is evident if not overwhelming.

S: Smell is all spice. There is a little banana in there and just the faintest touch of hops. I guess cloves are the closest to what I'm smelling. I recognize the aroma, but I can't place it exactly.

T: Lackluster. The yeast flavor is not as prevalent as I would like and the beer tastes a little off, like it has gone bad. Kind of like drinking a hefe out of a cardboard box. Bittering hops are definitely up front and battle a little with the flavor of the beer. Not nearly as much spice here as in the aroma.

M: This beer a little thinner than I expected and kind of feels flat on the tongue.

D: A refreshing beer, but not one that I could session. One or two would be plenty, thanks.

Overall: I am really surprised at how highly this beer is rated. It comes up well short of the better hefes I've had (Franziskaner and Live Oak) and fails to impress. (1,142 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.1%

Well, I must say this isn't what I expected from a hefeweizen.
Pours a nice looking hefe, golden slightly hazy body, semi-bright. Nice foam, white a fluffy.
Aroma contains most of what is looked or in a hefe, but with an added creamed corn funk. The citrus and banana are overwhelmed.
Taste is a bit all over the place. Weak biscuit/malt core, some spice and clove mixed in. Very soft/fain banana. I still get the sweet, cream corn. Not the best aftertaste either. It's light, so fairly drinkable, but misses the mark for me. (526 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%

A - Hazy, pale yellow-gold. A gritty layer of particulate at the bottom of the bottle adds extra cloudiness when swirled and poured. Medium-sized head with good retention. Moderate to weak lacing.

S - Mine smelled almost exactly the same as Great Lakes Grassroots Ale, and no, that is not a compliment. Like deviled eggs, baked beans or the water that collects at the bottom of a cooler or picnic basket. Pretty disgusting.

T - First taste is of wheat and citrus, then banana takes over. Would be better without the slight "rotten" taste that accompanies that putrid smell.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good. Creamy, well carbonated, smooth and refreshing.

D - What can I say? I just don't feel like having another one when I lower my nose back into that glass. The taste is not that bad, and the mouthfeel is great, but I really expected more from this hefe.

I could not believe how well-reviewed this Kellerweis was, compared to my experience with it. I bought this six-pack from a Giant Eagle grocery store, and come to think of it there WAS a little bit of white dust on the tops and necks of the bottles, but I just blew it off and forgot about it. There is no freshness or brewed-on date on the bottle, so I can only guess as to whether or not it was past-prime. Maybe I'll contact SN to find out. (1,304 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured into a weizen glass laden with a tourist trap logo I'm too ashamed to mention.

Swirled & poured out the last third like a good Sierra Nevada fanboy. Got nearly nothing but a new picket white fence for my effort. Once settled, it turns a muddy orange/peach color.

Smell is doughy, with ripe banana, coriander, & lavender & violet florals. Big presence.

Taste is much like a watered down orange banana smoothie. Very yeasty, feeling sort of dusty, like Orange Julius cheaped out & used powdered milk. Reddi Whip sweetness. Finish is yeasty bitterness & some faint grassy hops.

Carbonation is too low for me. Feel is too chalky the way SN wants to serve it. A second decanted bottle, though much thinner, proved better.

Where's my Franziskaner? (754 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A. Aggressive poor 1inch of yellow/white head. Color is light gold with a thick haze.
S. Pillsner and sour yeast.
T. Like a Hefeweizen nothing special, but I do taste the banana.
M. Cool and crisp.
O. Just an average rendition of a Hefeweizen. (243 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - A whipped, creamy head that is soapy underneath. A slightly hazy straw-gold color. Fairly opaque. An elixir-looking brew.

Smell - Magnificent fresh bananas and light spice. A bready and yeasty smell. The brew smells sweet all in all.

Taste - An immediately noticeable sweetness that is coated with a splenda-like taste. A bit flat with a funky well-water taste. The hint of banana is weak, and the spice of the clove drifts in an out in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A bit too sweet for my liking. I would have liked to see a stronger emphasis on banana flavoring. This beer is very meh to me. (624 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Poured a pale cloudy golden colour with a two fingered head that dissipated to a nice thin film.

S - Like a typical hefeweizen. Get some banana immediately although not overly strong along with a hint of clove/spice.

T - Still get the banana but I get more lemon notes although fairly bland and watery.

M - Light bodied and very little carbonation althought is fairly smooth and creamy

O - Just an average attempt at the hefeweizen that just lacks any real depth in the flavour to make you grab for another. Not bad but a little bland overall. (551 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25%

Lovelly looking beer in the pint glass, hazy pale orange, witha nice sized tight white head. Aroma is pretty simplistic for a hefe..subdued spice and some bubble gum. tste is as simple and subdued as the aroma..with some faint earth yeast in the end. Pretty average on the palate in all respects. Not a great hefe at all, quite dissapointed. (341 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of white head

S: Some citrus zest, some spice, a bit of banana, and a breadiness

T: A bit of citrus flavor, a touch of spice, but mostly bland and a bit sour.

O: Not sure I'm a fan of these hefeweizens. This one is okay, but nothing I'd be reaching for, even on a hot summer day. (326 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Dark yellow, and so hazy, it's almost opaque. The rocky head is ivory, and like most Sierra Nevada beers, lasts 'til the bitter (or in this case, non-bitter) end.

Smell: Banana and bubblegum, with an unusually high emphasis on the bubblegum. Some light vanilla notes and a bit of bready malt. Spices are absent, which is too bad.

Taste: Disappointingly light, with bubblegum taking an unwelcome front seat. The aftertaste is quite bready, and long-lasting. Some citrus flavors lend a hand, but fail to leave me satisfied.

Mouthfeel: Considerable carbonation is canceled out by a slippery, water-like texture that contributes to the thinness of the taste. Despite all this, there is a medium mouthfeel.

Overall: So disappointed with this one. I was sure I would like it, but more than anything else, it reminded me of watered-down banana Kool-Aid. By far the least flavorful weizen I've ever had. Just not for me, I guess. (939 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

I love Sierra Nevada and I love a good Hefeweizen, but I don't get this beer at all. It doesn't look, smell, taste or feel like a German Hefeweizen AT ALL. (155 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy yellow, doesn't have the typical cloudiness you see in Hefe's. A thick, fluffy, white dissipated at a slightly quicker than moderate pace, leaving little lacing.

The typical aromas for the style are present, but subdued. Same goes for the flavors. The body was smooth and evenly full. Drinkability was easy. Overall an average version of the style, I could see keeping a few of these in the fridge during the summer, even though I prefer Wits over Hefe's. Worth trying. (517 characters)

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.