Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,321 | Hads: 3,778
3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a light golden, non transparent yellow in color with a two finger foam head that gradually fades into a thin, pinky width, creamy lace at the top of the beer. Bubbles cling to the sides and form a rather jumbled pattern on the surface.

(Smell): This hefeweizen has a very pronounced banana and fruity smell. I wouldn't go as far as to say purely "citrus", but more like a banana/apple smoothie kind of smell. Not subtle at all, which is great. I love a beer that makes its presence know.

(Taste): The taste is definitely one of the oddest I've had in a hefeweizen. I sense the banana nature of a typical hefe screaming to come out, but it never quite gets there. There is a bitterness that immediately strikes the tongue and lingers throughout.

(Mouthfeel): Lightly carbonated and kind of dull. I find it hard to put into words, but where most hefe's tend to be kind of wheaty and refreshing, the Kellerweis is just kind of...there.

(Drinkability): When it comes to hefeiwezen, you either make it worthy or unworthy, and theres rarely an inbetween. I'd stack this in the "No Drink" pile with Widmer and Erdinger Hefeweizen. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but for the time being, I would strongly recommended Ayinger's Brau Weisse or Haufbrau Hefeweizen over this one. (1,362 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife bought me this beer. It's an appropriately hazy, cloudy golden-yellow color. The head is a little thin and soapy...a white that falls quickly into wisps. The smell is heavy of wheat...twangy, citric, gristy, and a bit of yeast. There's no hops in the smell...it's a typical and unremarkable hefe smell. The taste is full of yeast, wheat, and orange peals. Medium in body. It's a decent beer, but nothing outstanding. (424 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

Two fingers of bright white head atop of a cloudy golden yellow. The head dissipated quickly. The smell has lots of banana, but there's a sour note present that is very unsettling...it's almost reminiscent of my collegiate bathroom floor on a Sunday morning after a party. Taste is much better. Banana and clove dominate followed by a mild orange flavor. Minus the scent this beer isn't bad, but the taste isn't enough to make me a fan. (436 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

A: poured a thick hazey golden color with a big white head to crown the glass.
S: the smell only intensified my appetite for this brew. Sweet hay and citrus and coriander graced the nose.
T: this is where the beer lost me. There is a tasty banana flavor hitting the front pretty hard bu dies out quickly and leaves this nasty skunk bitter taste afterwards. I would
never expect this from a Sierra Nevada brew so I am assuming I got a bad batch. I'll definitely try it again at some point and probably modify my post.
M/D: the beer wasn't flat but felt flat and light something I didn't expect from a Hefe. Because of the taste and feel it wasn't very drinkable it took me forever to get the desire to drink the next in the six pack. (732 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.1%

Drank on-tap at Charlies Kitchen, Cambridge, MA
Served in a nonic

The beer poured a turbid, yellow ochre color and was topped by a creamy, bright white, one-finger head of foam. Fantastic retention. Short-lived patches of lacing clung to the glass.

Not much happening with the aroma initially. Perhaps some yeastiness and touch of sweet malt. As the beer warmed, spice notes came out. Overall, quite disappointing.

The taste was rather mediocre as well. Doughy malts appeared up front, along with a mild, phenolic yeastiness. Notes of clove came through strong. Some wheat and lemon tartness appeared in the center. The finish was crisp, off dry and quite refreshing.

The liquid was medium bodied. Creamy and slick on the palate with a fine, mild effervescence.

I had high hopes for this beer but was disappointed by its insipid flavor and aroma. Unlike many of its foreign brethren, this hefeweizen lacks both intensity and complexity. Do yourself a favor and pass on this. (979 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Bought a sixer at Campus West Liquors. Poured in a hefe glass.

Poured a hazy golden hue with a slightly tan head that was smaller than expected, no lacing. Very nice hefeweizen look, the unfilteredness singing it's siren song, calling me in.

Smells of spice, big banana smell. creamy wheatness, flowers. Very aromatic, great nose, quite complex.

Taste is sort of...bland. Lemony, with some hops in the end. Watery, without much going on, a little bit sweet. Bummer. I'd honestly rather smell this beer than drink it.

Mouthfeel is okay. Carbonation is right on, light like a hefe should be.

Drinkability is quite good, if I don't care about taste. I could drink a lot of these BBQing or fishing. Great summer beer. (718 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I heard good things about this brew, and I finally got around to trying it. It pours an appropriate hazy straw color, but the head isn't as big as I would expect for a German-style hefeweizen. The aroma is okay, but it's too light and weak. It doesn't have enough of the traditional clove/spice that I enjoy. There is some of that, but there's also some sour-ish character to the nose. The taste has (some of) the characteristics of German hefes that I look for, but there's also a light addition of lemon along with a stronger tartness than I usually like in my hefes. The mouthfeel is too thin for the style. The more I sip on this brew, the more the watery-ness becomes apparent and disappointing. Still, this beer is a nice, refreshing stab at a German hefe. You certainly couldn't go wrong when drinking one of these on a hot Summer day. Lawnmower and/or session beer? Sure...a fine choice and sooo much better than any macro or some other light ale/lager. To be fair, this is one of the better American-made German hefes I've had in a while. With that being said, I prefer a true-German hefe. I even did a blind tasting with this SN hefe and some German hefe, and I preferred a German version. Oh well, I'm still happy to see SN brewing something like this and doing a respectable job with it. (1,299 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

LOOK: A super hazy golden orange, (when yeast sediment is added) with a small white head. Head retention is brief, but it leaves some lacing going down.

SMELL: Overripe banana, some clove, bubblegum and apple, and yeast.

TASTE: Banana upfront, followed by bubblegum and clove, tartness of apple and lemon on the mid-palate, a sharp twang from the wheat, which slides into an earthy, tangy, grassy, and spicy finish. Lightly fruity, crisp and smooth, with a clean finish. Very easy drinking.

FEEL: Light-bodied and well-carbonated.

OVERALL: Not mind-blowing by any means, but it's good for what it is. It does make an excellent refreshing summer beer. (705 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours cloudy a pale amber with a small head that quickly fades to nothing.
Nose shows mostly bready wheat and cloves, with some ripe banana, almost confectionery-like, later.
Flavours are mostly the same but quite weak, almost watery, with hardly any finish. A weak and boring bitterness becomes apparent later, but makes the beer no more interesting.
Could do with more carbonation.
Overall, quite ho-hum, nothing special. (423 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally, a reason to bust out my hefe glass –hopefully Kellerweis will be another classic from Sierra Nevada. Cheers!

Brewed about six months ago: bottled at 7:07 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (good old bottle codes).

A: Perfect hefeweizen look, starting with the thick, hazy body – like orange juice with a little more of a brown color. A huge white head, the perfect amount of foam to fill the remaining four fingers of my glass to the brim, settles to a foamy retention with a ton of webby lacing. A bubbling, off-white, half-inch cream is all that remains about three minutes after the pour.

S: Yeasty, fruity, and pretty spicy; it’s definitely a hefeweizen nose, but with a big American character. Banana, clove, coriander, and ester are all there, the full yeasty richness you’d expect, followed by a kick of orange peel, pine, white pepper, and hickory (again, that American potpourri). Ends on a familiar creamy note of vanilla and light breads.

T: Smooth and very mild, even softer than most of the beers I’ve had in this style of light palates. A light, watery lemon juice taste mixes with some breadiness over from the yeasts, along with vanilla and toffee. A bit of lavender floweriness via the lightly bitter hops and more herbs from the nose, with a good hit of wheat and straw right after. The palate is light, and so is the aftertaste, finishing it out with just a hint of lemon and grain.

M: A nice creamy texture is the most noticeable feature here, but the feel is marked with a certain thinness. Only a tiny hint of carbonation.

O: A pretty good beer, but really, really mild. Sometimes it feels a little dull; it never truly disappoints as a hefe, though. Nice to see how Sierra Nevada does the German beer thing. (1,748 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours hazy golden with white head. Nose is the typical banana/clove but not terribly assertive with banana. On the palate the banana is weak as well, but plenty of herbal flavors, hops come through too, and a decent clove/spice in the mix. Wheat cracker is present. Carbonation is good and feels fuller bodied than most weissbiers. (331 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Overall too heavy tasting for a hefe. Really bready and malty and for the ABV it shouldn't feel heavy IMO. not a bad beer but when I think of a hefe this isn't what I want. (174 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.4%

fantastic banana notes clove notes ,seemed as though the cold crash filtered out some of the cloudiness . seemed to be cleaner than i expected . smell seemed cleaner than i am used to on a hefe . mouth feel was spot on . taste was great but seemed mericianized for a hefe . bit hoppy .over all not bad though just not great . (325 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. First with leaving a half inch of beer at bottom, then with pouring 3/4 into glass then swirling bottle and pour rest into glass.

A: One finger head that retains well, little lacing, cloudy yellow color, lots of bubbles. yeast at bottom of bottle.

S: Fruity smell, and hops smell when leaving half inch of beer at bottom. when mixing yeast, the yeast had an over powering smell of yeast.

T: Same as smell. a bit to light. didn't pick up a whole lot. little to light. when mixing yeast with beer, had a over powering yeast taste.

M: Light body, medium carbonation.

D: easy to drink. a bit to weak for a hefeweizen. the first beer i had i poured the whole thing in, leaving about a half inch of beer to keep yeast out. got some smell and flavor out of it making it an ok beer. then i read the bottle( i alway read the bottle after i have my first beer so it doesnt change my own idea of the beer). it says to pour 2 thirds of the beer then swirl and pour the rest. after doing this on my second, the yeast was to over powering. really didnt like it after doing this. For the rest of the six pack ill stick to leaving the yeast out. wont buy again. would drink again tho, if its free... (1,226 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

really do enjoy nearly everything from Sierra, these guys are awesome. I always think of beers from Sierra to be very hop forward, however they have really done well with this one. I am not a huge fan of wheat beers but they do have there place in the beer world and I would say if I was to stray from the classic German versions, this is where I would go. (356 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Revisiting this guy for the sake of memory comparison and to actually formally review it. It's been a while. It pours a mostly clear gold topped by an active column of white foam. The nose comprises heavy clove, banana, and a touch of dry wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, but the clove is toned-down to a sensible level, and some orange zest peeks its way in as well. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a solid hefe, one that's too spicy on the nose and too bubbly for my liking, but one that's still fairly drinkable. (612 characters)

Poured in a weizenglass from a 12oz bottle

a- yellow color with a nice 2 inch head

s- clove, bubblegum and a littlebit of bannana

t- clove and bannana bread, no too tasty

m- medium body with a good carbonation

D- nice sesion beer, I love Sierra Nevada brews but I'm a little bit disapointed with this one, I was expecting more (331 characters)

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a hazy, almost opaque dark yellow, with a quickly-dissipating head. Seems to have a low level of carbonation. Aroma and taste mostly consist of ripe banana and wheat, with a slight hop taste. hint of spice. Medium-bodied mouthfeel, I didn't find it to be visually appealing, looked like muddy water almost, and I think the flavor is just OK. At 4.8% abv, this beer would be decent for a few bottles, but I wouldn't want a bunch, I just prefer others like Franziskaner Weissbier. So far this is the only beer from Sierra Nevada that I've not been really happy with. (594 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance - A deep orange glow appears in my pint glass. This beer sports a fabulous white fluffy cloud-like two finger head. Whispers an invitation to savor it's flavor.

Smell - Fruit comes to mind first: Orange, Apple, Pear, Nectar, Peach. Yeasty. Bready.

Taste - This is a beer that tastes just like it smells. I did catch a little alcohol on the front, but nothing to worry about. After the first sip it was hidden very well. The Orange, Citrus, and Apple Flavors were very present. Then as the beer warmed, a bread and doughy flavor took more charge. There is an ever-so slight hint of medicine going on. Lemon peel is also there on the after taste. As i take my last sips, yeast is very present.

Mouthfeel - This beer sports a Mod-light, to Moderate body which is characteristic, expected and desired for a "heffer" (Hefeweizen). At first the carbonation is tough to notice, but pay attention to the backend of your swallow. It's there, and is quite ticklish on the rear palate. A very nice experience.

Drinkability - A Very likeable beer. The Best Heffer I've tried to date. I do wish for a bit more complexity, but that is just my bent toward other beer styles making a fuss. With that in mind, for it's style, it's a "Class A Act." This is a great early evening summer beer. It quenches your thirst, satisfies your beer craving, and leaves you wanting more. (1,371 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out a little clearer than I expected it to. The head was ok at first but died off pretty quick. The smell of the beer had a good wheat base to it with additional fresh grains. The taste I felt was a little on the light side and could have been a bit stronger. The flavors of wheat and some light hops mix on the tongue, there wasn't much of the typical banana or clove in the one. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side for me. Overall this beer is mediocre, probably one that I wouldn't have to seek out again. (533 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Ordered the on-tap version (at 33 in downtown Chico) just a few hours after I tried the bottled version for the first time.

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, goldenrod body with a white, creamy film coating the surface. Head leaves puffy dots of lace occasionally. (Hefeweizens aren't supposed to be sticky, so that's okay.)

Smell: Light wheat and prickly spice in the nose... and that's all. If I had to guess at the spice, I'd say coriander. The entire smell is very faint.

Taste: Lots of banana and spice: coriander and white pepper to be exact. The big wheaty back bone gives way to a lot more sweetness in this version. I remember the bottled version being stiffer and more wheat focused; this tap version is pretty damn sweet. Still good however.

Mouthfeel: The two versions (bottle and draft) are very similar here. This one's a bit pricklier, but other than that just read what I wrote below.

Drinkability: A nice hefeweizen, but I liked the bottled version much better. I've found a lot of the taps to be pretty dirty around Chico, and that might have been the case here. I'll have to try it again at the brewery to be sure. (1,158 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Out of the bottle a golden straw color- cloudier than a thunderstorm with a finger of head that doesn't last longer than one.

S- Yeast, white wine musk, corn, honey, flowers, sulfer.

T- Taste is light and slightly bready. I can find some banana if I look for it, especially in the aftertaste, but it's not strong. Stronger is the taste of unbaked bread, and flour.

M- Light, I would take some more carbonation, but this is fine.

O- A fine beer. Not the most flavorful thing I've dranken but tasty still. (511 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Best before 12/5/12

a) Hazy pale orange. Big white head, somewhat coarsely bubbled.

s) Wit-like spiciness, almost coriander seed-like. Banana & bubblegum, fleshy smallgoods. Warms to a BBQ steak aroma, and some clove.

t) Stronger clove notes on the palate than nose. Rich wheat flavour; well attenuated, so quite dry.

n) Fairly light for style, I think; not as creamy as some German examples. Perhaps a bit hollow.

d) Very easy to drink; suitable for warm days and a thirst. (479 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is straw-colored, with a fingers-width of white foamy head.

Smell is dominated by wheat malts, lemon, and coriander.

Taste is spicier than I expected, including coriander and floral hops. I am not a fan of the lingering bready aftertaste, however.

Mouthfeel is thin bodied. There is a bit of carbonation, but maybe not enough (which might explain the aftertaste).

Overall a good hefeweizen, but not one I will go out of my way to buy again. (503 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle copped singly from Total Wine and More in West Orange... Copper-colored hue... Minimal head and lacing... Not much to write home about. Aroma reminiscent of cloves, banana peels, and fresh yellow peppers. Crisp, dry mouthfeel with an overall easy level of drinkability.
Good, but not great. (303 characters)

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.